Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/WithinSyriaBlog/status/1014131328948867072

lmao

For context, the Tiger Forces are the SAA's shock troops. They're always deployed wherever they plan on doing a new offensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/dancohen3000/status/1015338207980945408

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

https://twitter.com/WithinSyriaBlog/status/1014131328948867072

lmao

For context, the Tiger Forces are the SAA's shock troops. They're always deployed wherever they plan on doing a new offensive.

https://twitter.com/HKaaman/status/1015971828790190081

lol, get rekt

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i'm sure there would be much qqing about these developments in the d&d middle east thread if volkerball wasn't breathlessly posting about economic protests in iran being the harbinger of the ayatollahs' downfall.

coathat
May 21, 2007

It would be cool if people reported on American protests like they do Iranian ones.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Did BM address that all lol

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Darkman Fanpage posted:

i'm sure there would be much qqing about these developments in the d&d middle east thread if volkerball wasn't breathlessly posting about economic protests in iran being the harbinger of the ayatollahs' downfall.

volkerball is like those lab rats that kept hitting a button to stimulate their pleasure receptors until they died, but the button says "regime change"

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

Plutonis posted:

Yes, he never claimed sarin was used in that attack, neither did the State Department for that matter. The report finds chlorine gas was used and was responsible for the deaths, which counter acts the "dusty basement lol" claim.

Personally I don't have a problem with using chemical weapons, especially when used effectively to re-assert a display of monopoly of force.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

HorrificExistence posted:

Yes, he never claimed sarin was used in that attack, neither did the State Department for that matter. The report finds chlorine gas was used and was responsible for the deaths, which counter acts the "dusty basement lol" claim.

Personally I don't have a problem with using chemical weapons, especially when used effectively to re-assert a display of monopoly of force.

i very much remember sarin being thrown around as being used in the attack.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
If its chlorine then is more likely to be the rebels themselves, because its easy to manufacture but not that great a chemical weapon in the first place.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

Darkman Fanpage posted:

i very much remember sarin being thrown around as being used in the attack.

Mattis said "we haven't ruled out the possibility of sarin yet"

rudatron posted:

If its chlorine then is more likely to be the rebels themselves, because its easy to manufacture but not that great a chemical weapon in the first place.

idk i think it was a pretty wise move if assad did do it

Encolpio
Apr 12, 2013

The report doesn't claim that. It says that they found compounds containing chlorine at the scene but doesn't make a judgement on their source, nevermind saying they were the result of a chlorine gas attack.

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015
what's wrong with gassing ISIS?

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

Encolpio posted:

The report doesn't claim that. It says that they found compounds containing chlorine at the scene but doesn't make a judgement on their source, nevermind saying they were the result of a chlorine gas attack.

they said they had chain of custody for chlorine samples from the victims

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

The_Politics_Man posted:

what's wrong with gassing ISIS?

or anyone else

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Plutonis posted:

lol i just remembered he renamed this thread about himself

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/MaxBlumenthal/status/1016068211052351488
https://twitter.com/MaxBlumenthal/status/1016119401282703361

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lmao

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that's grounds for a ban, don't need unsolicited advertising on the forums

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

its kinda funny d&d is modded by a tankie prc stan and a NATO war propagandist simultaneously. feel liek i need to align with some imperial bloc

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i forgot about that lol. posting for the question mark

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

just got finished with a phone call with Prachanda, cspam is now officially a proxy of the Nepal Communist Party

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
grats

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

just got finished with a phone call with Prachanda, cspam is now officially a proxy of the Nepal Communist Party

indian political parties are nuts and it owns

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

i say swears online posted:

indian political parties are nuts and it owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDDUY91jrx4

Encolpio
Apr 12, 2013

they said they had chain of custody for chlorine samples from the victims

Man the report says:

quote:

The results of the analysis of the prioritised samples submitted to OPCW designated
laboratories were received by the FFM team on 22 May 2018. No organophosphorus
nerve agents or their degradation products were detected, either in the environmental
samples or in plasma samples from the alleged casualties. Various chlorinated organic
chemicals were found in samples from Locations 2 and 4, along with residues of
explosive. These results are reported in Annex 3. Work by the team to establish the
significance of these results is ongoing.

https://www.opcw.org/fileadmin/OPCW/S_series/2018/en/s-1645-2018_e_.pdf

So they haven't found that chlorine gas was used and was responsible for the deaths. They explicitly say they haven't right there.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

bellingcat, do an american war crimes story you bitch. can't be hard to find one

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Karl Barks posted:

bellingcat, do an american war crimes story you bitch. can't be hard to find one

Remember when BM was acting excited about their investigation of the American bombing of that mosque in Syria, and nothing came of it because the media doesn't care about American war crimes?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The bottom line is that Bellingcat's only real world utility is to serve the interests of Western imperialism by supplying casus belli. Just like HRW.

Also I've never noticed this before, but the Human Rights Watch logo literally centers the Global North.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
i remember when the sauds hit water infrastructure in yemen and there was a bellingcat report that was like "we cant possibly know for certain who did this".

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The bottom line is that Bellingcat's only real world utility is to serve the interests of Western imperialism by supplying casus belli. Just like HRW.

Also I've never noticed this before, but the Human Rights Watch logo literally centers the Global North.

To be fair that does focus on the worst abusers of human rights.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

namesake posted:

gently caress the polar bears.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

mila kunis posted:

i remember when the sauds hit water infrastructure in yemen and there was a bellingcat report that was like "we cant possibly know for certain who did this".

i looked this up because i was curious and lmao

Objective Web Site Bellingcat Dot Com posted:

Does the KSA have a motive for attacking the plant? If the plant was still supplying the contested held city of Taʿizz and parts of Houthi-held territory, then perhaps its destruction would force the Houthis to move. Alternately, the plant could have been used as a firing position by Houthis, making it a military target, as the KSA has claimed before when it targeted an alleged water facility in Yemen (see the bullet points listed below on earlier attacks on water infrastructure).

The Taʿizz coast is quite barren. There is Mocha, a few ports, and this desalination facility, which is quite easily identifiable – as demonstrated in this article. If the plant was being used as a position from which to fire on Saudi or Yemeni government forces that would make it a legitimate target. 

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

Which one, there's like 90

edit: drat, the Maoists and Marxists-Leninists merged. Did not see that coming

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

namesake posted:

Yeah like Cuba, Venezuela, FARC, Mauritania, they're all in there

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

R. Guyovich posted:

lol

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

R. Guyovich posted:

way to quote mine

the next loving line

quote:

Otherwise, under Protocol I of the Geneva Convention, to which Saudi Arabia has been a signatory since 1987, the plant is an illegitimate target.

and then a list of Saudi atrocities

quote:

fortunately, the attack on the Mocha desalinisation plant is not an isolated in Yemen’s civil war. This a non-exhaustive list of attacks on water infrastructure that occurred in 2015. We have tried to use OSINT to find and verify as much as possible, but we have not been able to verify all of them.

April 17, 2015: An alleged Saudi-led coalition airstrike water tank in al-Hazamat, Sa’ada City, reported by the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).
April 18, 2015: An alleged airstrike on an Oxfam-run warehouse with water equipment in Sa’ada City. The warehouse stored equipment for a water project funded by the European Union. No location (yet).
April 22, 2015: The water tank and the pipes at the al-Jumhouria hospital were damaged during fighting, according to OCHA. They were repaired days after. Location: 12°48′21.3″N 45°02′17.2″E.
April 26/27, 2015: Airstrikes reportedly hit warehouses belonging to the Shamlan mineral water company, according to OCHA in Taʿizz City. No location (yet).
August 30, 2015: An alleged Saudi-led coalition airstrike water tank on Al-Sham bottling plant in Hajjah. According to the Houthi-run Defence Ministry, the airstrike left 34 people dead. The airstrike struck the isolated building at the end of the night shift, the New York Times reported. Euronews has a video online of the aftermath of the alleged airstrike (0:00-0:11). A spokesman for the Saudi-led coalition told CNN that was a military camp used to make explosives and ‘to train African migrants forced to take up arms.’ No location (yet).
December 30, 2015: An alleged Saudi-led airstrike on a Coca Cola factory in Sana’a, which burned to the ground after a massive explosion, according to the Wall Street Journal. Coca Cola Co. confirmed the facility had been hit but said there were no reports of casualties, as the facility was closed for maintenance. Location (verified help of photos and video): 15°26′21.8″N 44°12′31″E (The damage done to the facility can be easily recognised on Google satellite imagery, that has footage of the day itself).

and the conclusion

quote:

At present, it is evident that the Mocha sea water desalination plant was attacked, most likely on January 8, 2016. However, we are not able to prove who destroyed the plant. Whoever did it has committed a grievous crime. Taʿizz is water starved and the plant was supposed to be able to supply its population with clean water. Now it is badly damaged if not totally destroyed. This would be terrible in peace time but it is catastrophic given the conditions the citizens of Taʿizz are living under.

The images circulating online show the aftermath of an attack on the YCD desalination plant north of Mocha. This OSINT investigation has shown that this attack likely took place on January 8, 2016. The plant was probably still functioning when it was attacked, or at the very least had liquid in it – most probably water the citizens of Taʿizz and Mocha could have used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
Only Be Skeptical of Assad's Warcrimes