Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Pirate Radar posted:

E: is there a way to automatically reinforce units or do you just do it manually with the HQ?

If you're using a TOE for your formation, reinforcements will trickle down the chain of command each turn as needed to fill the table. They'll move by rail and trucks if you have them, or if they're close enough to their parent HQ they'll travel by foot. You can click on LOG->R-IN to see what the formation is requesting in terms of units and how much is being delivered.

As an example, your supreme HQ could have a bunch of trains and use them to ship dudes out to its subordinate HQs (provided they are close enough to a railroad), which could then use trucks to deliver them to your frontline formations for a grand total of two turns.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Kibbles n Shits posted:

If you're using a TOE for your formation, reinforcements will trickle down the chain of command each turn as needed to fill the table. They'll move by rail and trucks if you have them, or if they're close enough to their parent HQ they'll travel by foot. You can click on LOG->R-IN to see what the formation is requesting in terms of units and how much is being delivered.

It's worth mentioning that you have to be playing a New Dawn game to use these features

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I had not been doing that. Time to start a New Dawn game and feel my way through the new features, I guess.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Also the Matrix Games forum for Advanced Tactics has some useful information, particularly the stickied "newbie info" posts: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=472

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The stickied posts are useful, though they don’t explain everything. I’m finding reading an AAR to be a good way to see how experienced players handle things. It’s just that there’s a lot of information, it’s all in different places, and some of it is not written and presented coherently.

I spent a while trying to figure out how to build factories before realizing my military engineers did that. After that it was transporting land units with cargo ships. After that it was how supply works.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

algebra testes posted:

I live in Australia and played a game of Dominions 4 where all the people in the US wouldn't stop whining about me doing my turn at the "wrong" time.

Dominions is a special game for very special people.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Kibbles n Shits posted:

As an example, your supreme HQ could have a bunch of trains and use them to ship dudes out to its subordinate HQs (provided they are close enough to a railroad), which could then use trucks to deliver them to your frontline formations for a grand total of two turns.

So should my HQs keep a bunch of trucks handy, then? I have units that aren't reinforcing and I'm trying to diagnose what I'm doing wrong.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

It's quite possible you simply don't have enough capacity in your trains/trucks to get the reinforcements out to the HQ's, especially if they are far or there are a lot of reinforcements needed. Moving units strategically uses the same pool of rail points as sending from SHQ->HQ (but the automatic reinforcements use less rail points for an equivalent transfer than manual transfers by default).

The HQ also needs to be directly on a rail line connected to your SHQ to get anything, simply being close to a rail line is not enough.

Trains in the SHQ, trucks in the HQ and keep the HQ as close to your combat units as possible as more than three hexes means it imparts 20% less of a combat bonus with every hex (max distance for a bonus is 7).

Leaders will also gain essentially no experience (and thus better abilities and stats) if they have more staff than they have staff points for so it's important to keep them commanding a reasonable amount of units. Some will spawn with tiny amounts of staff points too (30-40) so they are more like corps commanders in practical terms as they can only command 3-4 units (depending on your unit sizes ofc) until they level up.

You can see in this example how I have my HQ's as close as possible to their units to give bonuses but keep them on the rail lines so they can receive reinforcements

I mean if you can read NATO symbols you can interpret my side (tan). I recall a certain opponent being extremely free with assigning whatever symbol to different units :argh:

Saros fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 9, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Saros posted:

It's quite possible you simply don't have enough capacity in your trains/trucks to get the reinforcements out to the HQ's, especially if they are far or there are a lot of reinforcements needed. Moving units strategically uses the same pool of rail points as sending from SHQ->HQ (but the automatic reinforcements use less rail points for an equivalent transfer than manual transfers by default).

The HQ also needs to be directly on a rail line connected to your SHQ to get anything, simply being close to a rail line is not enough.

Trains in the SHQ, trucks in the HQ and keep the HQ as close to your combat units as possible as more than three hexes means it imparts 20% less of a combat bonus with every hex (max distance for a bonus is 7).

Leaders will also gain essentially no experience (and thus better abilities and stats) if they have more staff than they have staff points for so it's important to keep them commanding a reasonable amount of units. Some will spawn with tiny amounts of staff points too (30-40) so they are more like corps commanders in practical terms as they can only command 3-4 units (depending on your unit sizes ofc) until they level up.

You can see in this example how I have my HQ's as close as possible to their units to give bonuses but keep them on the rail lines so they can receive reinforcements

I mean if you can read NATO symbols you can interpret my side (tan). I recall a certain opponent being extremely free with assigning whatever symbol to different units :argh:

Hah, thanks for using the game's regular NATO symbols then. Is that a display option you have going where unit squares spread on a tile instead of stack?

I'm getting the hang of the way supply and reinforcement to TOE units works now, thanks all.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
Dangerous Waters.

Attempted the 688i mission again and did even worse this time, eating a torpedo within the first few minutes.

I'm guessing that a periscope at 5 knots is not a good, thing, or was it a hard turn at 5 knots causing more sound? Trailed array, Periscope depth.

Should I stop when taking a look?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Hey friends, if anyone's been hearing about the Steam sales data "leak" extrapolated from achievement percentages in some way, and since sales guesswork comes up sometimes in the thread, I figured this would be interesting:

Running through my library and the Slitherine catalog, I've pared out as many of the grognard games I can find data for (since it's achievement-based, it's missing some of the most interesting stuff - Command, the Grigsby games, Decisive Campaigns...and for whatever reasion, Tank Warfare Tunisia is missing from the Graviteam set):

• Ultimate General: Gettysburg: 210,440
  • Order of Battle: World War II: 159,890 (that main module is free, so that tracks)
  • Ultimate General: Civil War: 141,901
  • Panzer Corps: 105,467
  • Distant Worlds: Universe: 72,321
  • Battlestar Galactica Deadlock: 45,122
  • Graviteam Tactics: Operation Star: 28,897
  • Strategic War in Europe: 26,680
  • Vietnam '65: 19,949
  • Star Hammer: The Vanguard Prophecy: 14,447
  • Graviteam Tactics: Mius-Front: 11,249
  • Steel Armor: Blaze of War: 9,977
  • Field of Glory II: 9,727
  • Afghanistan '11: 9,653
  • Children of a Dead Earth: 9,268

edit: Oh uh I was gone all last week, so maybe I missed this news cycle

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 9, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
That reminds me that I should pick up the BSG DLC and try that game out again. I bounced off the strategic layer the first time around--too much whack-a-mole against an endless reinforcement pool of enemies.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

THIS LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE I WAS EXPECTING BUT WOW

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
GET HYPE
STAY HYPE

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
show us the flight operations Fredrik

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I like that allied forces are also included, seem to be controllable, and probably won't suck if the AI uses them.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
If the allied force is large enough, does it form its own fleet/task force and operate independently or join your battle line? Will we be able to coordinate air operations with allied carriers?

I’m sure we’ll get answers later, but I’m curious now <:(>

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Stairmaster posted:

I don't believe this will come out this year because this year has been so unbelievably lovely there's no way something as beautiful and perfect as this can exist.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Good god I can't wait to make terrible carrier designs on the par with the one time I tried to make an all casemate broadside battleship.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
speaking as a non-rtw haver, I have to say that all this looks the same as the original game to me

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Besides the big carrier in the middle, it is pretty similar. This is a good thing.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

speaking as a non-rtw haver, I have to say that all this looks the same as the original game to me

RTW2 is going to look exactly like the first one, yeah. I don’t play it for the graphics.

The differences in the screenshot are just:
A) there are carriers in the picture (also the carriers appear to have guns like the Lexington and Saratoga did which is candy for interwar boat nerds)
B) allied forces now appear in battles and sail with you, which they don’t in RTW

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Eh, it’s just a little light ribbing — it’s awesome to see a bunch of you this hyped about a grog game.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I wonder if we can make carriers with multiple decks like Glorious and the original Akagi configuration.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Pirate Radar posted:

I wonder if we can make carriers with multiple decks like Glorious and the original Akagi configuration.

:yeah:
Armored flight decks, angled flight decks, ski-jump flight decks, 3 tiered flight decks, flight decks with 12" cannons at both ends. Give it all to me.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Was there anything stopping people from making angled flight decks in the thirties

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Mostly there was no reason to do it but the real answer is imagination.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

RTW 2 news is awesome.

I picked up Steel Division over the weekend because IndieGala had a 75% sale.

Oh god, this is worse than Close Combat for watching your pixel soldiers die horribly. I'm in, but oh god I'm going to get my rear end kicked in multiplayer for a loooong time.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

uPen posted:

Mostly there was no reason to do it but the real answer is imagination.

but you can do launches and retrievals at the same time?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Stairmaster posted:

I think some of the big flattops could do that anyway, since the prop planes didn’t require as much space to take off and land?

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

I just want to know if it's possible to build a battlecarrier.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
We haven’t seen any shots of Ise-style aircraft battleships yet but since the Italian carriers in that shot have guns I don’t see why we couldn’t have them.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Stairmaster posted:

drat i want it now

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Stairmaster posted:

:perfect:

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

Most of the big fleet carriers in the 30s could do that just fine with biplanes.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Hav posted:

Dangerous Waters.

Attempted the 688i mission again and did even worse this time, eating a torpedo within the first few minutes.

I'm guessing that a periscope at 5 knots is not a good, thing, or was it a hard turn at 5 knots causing more sound? Trailed array, Periscope depth.

Should I stop when taking a look?

Turns out that the vanilla game might actually just fail the mission now, and that RA-DW mod is the way to go.

I still suck, but I suck less.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

So I went back to Silent Hunter 4, and no mods really clicked for me until Fall of the Rising Sun, which feels pretty drat good.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Yeah, it's pretty great, but my game gets super unstable when enemy planes are around. The devs' solution was to delete all SH4 game data, reinstall everything, and hope. (To paraphrase.)

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Uboat is about to enter the first beta. Its probably too late to sign up but in a month they are doing another round and it sounds like its free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Here's a weird question. Are there any like, industrial engineering grog games? Like, Build more "IL-2s before Stalin has you shot" / "T-34s before the Germans crash through the factory gates" kind of thing?