Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

is there any good stuff after the first guy's intro? I don't want to watch an hour-long video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

is there any good stuff after the first guy's intro? I don't want to watch an hour-long video

basically the four minutes starting from the 3:50 mark (where segura rips the piss out of the new york times for its both sides bullshit) are all that's worth it

maybe like another minute or two of the new york times people :qq:-ing passive aggressively

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

nope, just a bunch of extremely banal, soft takes on horse race stuff

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

what happened to the polite times when people would criticize a newspaper in private by writing a letter to the editor that they would receieve and then immediately throw in the garbage

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

what happened to the polite times when people would criticize a newspaper in private by writing a letter to the editor that they would receieve and then immediately throw in the garbage

hey i'll give some credit to the NYT education reporters

they read a bunch of letters and emails from chinese americans who whine about affirmative action and love cram schools for entrance exams to new york magnet schools and take them to be representative of all asian america (despite chinese americans being not even a quarter of the overall asian american population, and the wechat shitstains in the community being an even smaller proportion at that), and write their articles on the subject accordingly

Jerry Manderbilt has issued a correction as of 20:57 on Jul 8, 2018

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

hey i'll give some credit to the NYT education reporters

they read a bunch of letters and emails from chinese americans who whine about affirmative action and love cram schools for entrance exams to new york magnet schools and take them to be representative of all asian america (despite chinese americans being not even a quarter of the overall asian american population, and the wechat shitstains in the community being an even smaller proportion at that), and write their articles on the subject accordingly

be fair, sometimes they also talk to professionals in the field of generalizing rich chinese ivy league professors and investment bankers to be representative of all asians, like the tiger mom lady, the tiger mom lady, or someone who read the tiger mom lady's book

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/noahshachtman/status/1015990351360937985?s=21

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

In any of them, they talk about his plagiarism and his jet-setting with Jeffrey Epstein? :thunk:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

be fair, sometimes they also talk to professionals in the field of generalizing rich chinese ivy league professors and investment bankers to be representative of all asians, like the tiger mom lady, the tiger mom lady, or someone who read the tiger mom lady's book

oh right don't forget their trick of going to asia for Opinions From Asians™, like when they went to china to talk to some angry wechat chuds about david dao who said "if he were black or muslim this would never have happened to him!!" and started that chinese lives matter petition on change.org

they all immediately stopped giving a poo poo as soon as they found out that dao was viet

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Horseshoe theory posted:

In any of them, they talk about his plagiarism and his jet-setting with Jeffrey Epstein? :thunk:

or the fact that he abused his ex wife to the point she killed herself?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

babypolis posted:

or the fact that he abused his ex wife to the point she killed herself?

No, decorum

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

nate cohn is a dark universe virgil texas

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Well Bill still did it for the reason Atwater explained

Right, yet you never see pedantic online poster #837 explaining how Did You Know about dogwhistles and Nixon and etc applies to all the political elites in America, not just the hated enemy team . Weird.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

mastershakeman posted:

Right, yet you never see pedantic online poster #837 explaining how Did You Know about dogwhistles and Nixon and etc applies to all the political elites in America, not just the hated enemy team . Weird.

The 90's were a very bad decade to be black in America. Just like every other decade.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/SeanMcElwee/status/1016308845927333889

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/iboudreau/status/1015653171673358337

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1016417768500006912

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

im learning more and more that the people who work at the nyt are the most entitled shitheads in the entire planet. i guess thats the result of having a very prestigious job that doesnt pay very well

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol being an nyt columnist pays insanely well for the poo poo they put out

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Jose posted:

yeah but these are all highly ambitious people who went to ivy league schools, they could be pulling high six figures - low seven instead of a lowish six

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Jose posted:

the columnists yeah but the reporters who do actual work instead of just rewriting the same six paragraphs every week dont get $200k a year

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

the epic fail new york times

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I can't remember where but I saw something saying that a columnist is on 400k a year average

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

I can't remember where but I saw something saying that a columnist is on 400k a year average

lol you could hire 8 reporters for that

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

reporters don't generate nearly as many outrage clicks as bret stephens though

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

lol you could hire 8 reporters for that

or like, copy editing!!!!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

an actual dog posted:

or like, copy editing!!!!

Oh yeah, you could probably get 10 copy editors.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Just think, you could almost hire enough reporters for the whole Alan Dershowitz social life beat for what Bari Weiss makes

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I will never understand why the NYT is pulling clickbait tactics, harboring sexual predators, and sucking up to power instead of just being a newspaper worth buying but I guess they have been succ for their entire history and there's no reason to change now

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

an actual dog posted:

I will never understand why the NYT is pulling clickbait tactics, harboring sexual predators, and sucking up to power instead of just being a newspaper worth buying but I guess they have been succ for their entire history and there's no reason to change now

I assume they realize their utility is policing the thoughts of our social betters and us poors being immune to the grift is irreverent

Also the idea of "be a good newspaper" is so divided and frankly opposed to the methods of the modern news, which is actively disdainful of any investigation or policy discussion outside of whatever the decorum police deem polite that I don't think they can grasp the concept

As for clickbait, they rented out most of their building - on the top floor is....Tinder? Vine? Smooph? Some dot com. Once all your reporters are just surfing the net and retweeting stuff, (the most cost effective sort of news), you're basically using you brand to repackage poo poo 1) have actually worked on, and 2) the same poo poo everyone else is putting out. Clickbait is inevitable

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

unless you're like seventy years old who gives a poo poo about what Dershowitz is doing. I'm a millennial so all I know is he flew on the Lolita Express. NYT could do a police blotter daily report of whatever pedo lives closest to their offices and it would mean exactly the same thing to me

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Nikita Khrushchev posted:

unless you're like seventy years old who gives a poo poo about what Dershowitz is doing. I'm a millennial so all I know is he flew on the Lolita Express. NYT could do a police blotter daily report of whatever pedo lives closest to their offices and it would mean exactly the same thing to me

considering the OJ simpson trial was a formative experience in our lives its astonishing how little of it actually stuck with us, and how there is an entire OJ simpson subsidiary economy built on his acquittal-yet-definite-guilt including but not limited to: the entire concept of reality tv

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
our school called everyone into the assembly hall for the verdict on short notice because it only took a few hours and not, as everyone was predicting, eleven thousand years, and it wasn't until i was drat near 30 that i was like "wait, lol, thats an insanely hosed up reason to take kids out of class what the hell is wrong with everything"

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

The formative event of my childhood was 9/11

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
drat i'm beginning to think "millenial" is a useless phrase describing those who incidentally came of age during a rhizomatically complex period of history where poo poo just exploded everywhere

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

gently caress yeah! 9/11 all the way baby

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

millennials are killing the idea of arbitrarily composed generations

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Willie Tomg posted:

drat i'm beginning to think "millenial" is a useless phrase describing those who incidentally came of age during a rhizomatically complex period of history where poo poo just exploded everywhere

Yeah but stable planned explosions. Chickens coming home to roost, not well deserved cop death explosions

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Willie Tomg posted:

Knowing that someone is a Millennial tells you as much about them as knowing they are a Sagittarius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Nikita Khrushchev posted:

The formative event of my childhood was 9/11

one of the terms in the running for the post-millennial generation is "the 9/11 generation"

lol