Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Caganer posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicameralism_(psychology)

Bicameralism, the theory that modern consciousness did not arise until shockingly late in human evolution, after the rise of civilization, commerce, and writing, is pretty hosed up and weird to think about :

So he's saying that everyone just.. hallucinated all the time? And it seems like a major basis is that in things like the Iliad there's no "introspection" and the plot is driven by the Gods? How on earth could no one have mentioned anywhere the fact that everyone talks to a god/gods, all day, every day, for every decision they make?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

He also made the claim that the breakdown was essentially something that spread by contact, so the fact that we have a whole bunch of isolated population groups experiencing contact in recent times yet not reporting that it was all hallucinations all the time prior to a bunch of white dudes showing up with their magical psychosis curing presence is a big knock on the theory. Whole thing smacks of scientific racism.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It’s kind of a fun book to read in a “what if” sort of way once it gets into the main spiel but yeah I never once thought it was a scientifically relevant book in terms of actually fitting into sociology

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I def feel like ages 5-23 were an extended hallucination for me personally

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

EmmyOk posted:

I def feel like ages 5-23 were an extended hallucination for me personally

Like all goons, of course, you have perfect recollection of ages 0-4.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

I remember switching on. I was 3 years old and our house was new and I thought to myself "I will remember this", and I did.

I understand this isn't an uncommon story

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Pirate Radar posted:

Like all goons, of course, you have perfect recollection of ages 0-4.

Yeds the "i was a gifted child" era for all goons. I could differentiate between trangles and the four sided one in. minutes

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I've always moved frequently and have an easy roadmap to how old I was when this and that happened. I genuinely think people underestimate how much they can remember from 0-4 and just screw up the timeline a bit.

Like I have a weird, hazy memory of leaving a funeral with my father. I remember running towards a line of cars set on green hills in a cemetery and passing by a large tree in full bloom. It was a mystery as I, to my knowledge, had never been to a funeral. Then a few years ago my mom finally figured out, "Wait, that must've been the funeral of your sister's third grade teacher. She died in May of '89, you were 13 months old, what the gently caress." That's probably my first memory now, but there's also quite a bit from before we moved when I was 4. :shrug:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

And here I was thinking everyone involved was going to make it out OK. They better not mention that to the kids or coach until they're all out.

Follow up - four of the kids have been rescued. They're working on getting the others now.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

According to both my mom and dad, I taught myself to read when I was about 3 (I would like to personally thank Sesame Street for this). gently caress if I remember anything before kindergarten, though.

On that note, and to try to keep things vaguely on topic: a co-worker of mine has what I'm assuming is severe dyslexia, or some similar learning disability. He's in his early twenties and can't spell the simplest words, even the ones we have to write everyday. We work in a breakfast restaurant, he's one of our top notch cooks who makes the grits every day, and he always writes "grist" on the containers. Gravy is "grave", bologna is "blone", etc. I thought he was being funny until I caught him whispering into his phone "hey Siri, how do you spell 'sausage'?"

The idea of not being able to read or write is extremely unnerving for me. I can't imagine how spooky it must be to try to navigate the world when everything may as well be hieroglyphics. Like I said, he's one of our heavy hitters, absolutely awesome co-worker, and smart as a whip when it comes to practical stuff. Dude just can't wrap his brain around the written word, and as someone who can't remember a time I couldn't read, that's unsettling as hell to me.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Former DILF posted:

I remember switching on. I was 3 years old and our house was new and I thought to myself "I will remember this", and I did.

I understand this isn't an uncommon story

My serious memory (where I can remember periods of time and events) starts around 3? But before that I have sort of flashes of things, like still images filed away all the way in the back of my brain, from before I was 18 months old and moved with my mom to Florida. I know one of them is downtown Toronto because I looked it up later and the trams there matched what my brain had. There's also the park that was near my house in Guelph and being on an airliner once, but that's all.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I have really clear memories of witnessing a fatal boating accident when I was just under 2 and a half. And pretty much nothing really distinct after that until kindergarten.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
I remember my dog getting hit by a car in front of me at 3 and gently caress all else till Kindergarten. It seems that most people who recollect that early only do it with traumatic or exciting things like death or moving somwhere very different or flying.

turntabler
Sep 10, 2011
Mine was being 3 years old and being in a super lovely house that we used to live in before moving into a nicer house just before I turned 4, and seeing the music video for Simply Irresistible by Robert Palmer come on TV.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
well when i was three they hooked me up to a big computer to try to teach it some things, but I had so much knowlege, it overloaded, and then it got really hot and caught on fire!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Captain Monkey posted:

well when i was three they hooked me up to a big computer to try to teach it some things, but I had so much knowlege, it overloaded, and then it got really hot and caught on fire!

And that computer... was Steve Jobs!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Caganer posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicameralism_(psychology)

Bicameralism, the theory that modern consciousness did not arise until shockingly late in human evolution, after the rise of civilization, commerce, and writing, is pretty hosed up and weird to think about :

This made more sense in Westworld imo

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
bicameralism is a super interesting and very fun theory that absolutely no one should take seriously for even half a second

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

According to both my mom and dad, I taught myself to read when I was about 3 (I would like to personally thank Sesame Street for this). gently caress if I remember anything before kindergarten, though.

Same, although my parents credit their daily watching of Wheel of Fortune, which... kinda makes sense to me. Hearing someone else with a similar experience makes mine feel more plausible than it ever did, so just thought I'd put that out there.

It is kind of amazing to me just thinking about all the experiences we have either as babies or just everyday that get forgotten immediately-- if it doesn't get filed into long-term memory, that poo poo's gone. Having ADHD makes this even stranger for me because I'm constantly forgetting things-- conversations are gone minutes after they happen, just because something else caught my eye. And my mom's had cancer and she says the chemo just destroyed her memory and cognition-- she's still really smart, and everyone tells her that, but she knows there's a little sharpness that's just gone.

I guess the fragility of brains and memory is what's unnerving to me, the myriad ways it can get messed up and the fact that we're all probably going to experience it at some point in life.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Parasol Prophet posted:

Same, although my parents credit their daily watching of Wheel of Fortune, which... kinda makes sense to me. Hearing someone else with a similar experience makes mine feel more plausible than it ever did, so just thought I'd put that out there.
I taught myself to read at 2 by watching my parents teach my brother, which seems logical. But my grandpa taught himself to read at 2 in 1911, obviously without TV, and without anyone trying to teach him. His mother found out when he picked up a condolence card someone had written to her (someone else in the family had died) and read it out loud. My grandma (on the other side!) did something similar at age 2 in ...1927 or so, I think.

#autism

ETA: I have a ton of memories before age 3 and they are uniformly boring, things like "I got a teddy bear for a present" or "my dad helped me get dressed for preschool."

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
I have a vivid "memory" from Age 3 of seeing my own body standing in my bedroom before my perspective flew in through the back of my head like the level start in GoldenEye 007.

Your toddler memories are bullshit, is what I'm saying.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Oh most definitely bullshit, but it's kind of fascinating how the brain just puts stuff like that together. Like sure, some of them are obviously made up from stories we've heard or pictures we've seen, but why go to the trouble of making up a memory of walking down some stairs or drinking juice from a certain sippy cup or poo poo like that? Why do we even have those "memories" instead of holding on to more of a family member who died when you were 2 or something like that?

The mind is weird and I love/hate thinking about it, basically.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

I taught myself to read as a sperm and even then I was like "Magnums? You're fooling anyone, dad."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Acute Grill posted:

I have a vivid "memory" from Age 3 of seeing my own body standing in my bedroom before my perspective flew in through the back of my head like the level start in GoldenEye 007.

I confirmed the Toronto trams thing as an adult. I had a vivid "snapshot" memory of those trams as a young child and it was one of only about three that I had retained through my life. I looked it up later and found that they looked exactly like the Toronto trams (though in my memory the red stands out a lot more), which made sense because until I was 18 months old I lived in Guelph and my parents had taken me to Toronto a number of times as a baby. I've never been back to Canada since.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Parasol Prophet posted:

And my mom's had cancer and she says the chemo just destroyed her memory and cognition-- she's still really smart, and everyone tells her that, but she knows there's a little sharpness that's just gone.

Yeah, my grandma's gone several rounds with cancer and her memory is pretty shot from the chemo. She'll be pretty good in a conversation, but if you try to bring up something from that conversation later there's a 50-50 chance it'll have slipped her mind.

chernobyl kinsman posted:

bicameralism is a super interesting and very fun theory that absolutely no one should take seriously for even half a second

Yeah, the oracle being a desperate attempt to reconnect with suddenly missing 'gods' is a fascinating thought to me.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Acute Grill posted:

I have a vivid memory from when I was 3 of dropping the toilet lid on my dick to see what would happen

it hurt

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

EDIT: I got a bit too personal there

PetraCore has a new favorite as of 23:00 on Jul 9, 2018

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

PetraCore posted:

EDIT: I got a bit too personal there

Did you mean to edit the post above yours

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
a really unnerving thing to read about is just the shear scale of genocide perpetrated against native american populations by europeans and how surviving native americans have salt rubbed in that wound almost every day.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Kanine posted:

a really unnerving thing to read about is just the shear scale of genocide perpetrated against native american populations by europeans and how surviving native americans have salt rubbed in that wound almost every day.

Im employed by a local tribe and seeing the poo poo they go through with the government is just loving heartbreaking.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I was chatting to my Italian inlaws about the Thai cave kids and they told me about the completely horrifying story of Alfredo Rampi, which I'd never heard of: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfredo_Rampi

Basically he was a 6 year old who fell into a well and despite basically the whole country mobilising to save him, he died in front of live TV in 1981. The plan was to drill a shaft next to the well to rescue him, but the vibrations only caused him to sink further into the well. People were repeatedly lowered into the well to save him, but despite them managing to get so far as to hold his hand he kept slipping deeper until he lost consciousness and died.

quote:

"Rescue workers rushed to the scene and lowered a walkie-talkie to him, and later he could be heard whimpering and crying out to his mother. Rescuers at the site were besieged by dozens of men and boys who offered to descend the well.

Firemen in the parallel rescue shaft almost reached Alfredo 120 feet down late yesterday, but the boy slipped another 80 feet. Rescuers speculated that vibrations from the drilling might have widened the well. Thereafter, Aflredo's body repeatedly slipped out of the grasp of rescuers.

Franco Patorelli, an engineer who supervised the drilling operation, said: ''We have a clear conscience. We've made all possible and imaginable efforts to bring him out alive. All our efforts were in vain for many reasons.''"

https://www.nytimes.com/1981/06/14/world/italians-despair-as-boy-in-well-is-reported-dead.html

quote:

"As evening fell, Italians gathered by their television sets to watch the drama, filmed live by the state TV network, and hear Alfredo's plaintive cry to his mother. It was relayed by a microphone lowered 213 feet into the well.

The third attempt ended only 12 minutes after it began when a volunteer identified only as Salvatore could not squeeze his body into the foot-wide shaft into which Alfredo fell Wednesday evening.

About 2,000 people gathered at the head of the crude artesian well fell into silence as the volunteers hanging by ropes down the wellshaft radioed instructions to the men above controlling the cables holding them.

One attempt ended after a young amateur cave explorer succeeded in reaching the boy but could not slip a harness around his arms because, 'He was covered with mud, full of mud,' the cave explorer said.

'He asked me for some water and I told him we'd get it to him the next time down,' the explorer said. He was identified only as Angelo.

Two other rescuers could not fit down the narrow shaft. Another rescue volunteer, a midget whose profession is cleaning local wells, was unable to pass through a sharp turn in the shaft and hand to return to the surface.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1981/06/12/Five-men-were-lowered-one-after-the-other-down/5481361166400/

Necrothatcher has a new favorite as of 00:03 on Jul 10, 2018

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
You know you’re in a bad position when even the well midget can’t get to you.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Everyone who is talking about teaching themselves to read at a young age, you know that's a neurological variation that's almost always accompanied by difficulty understanding social interactions? Hyperlexia, look it up.

I have it too. :sigh:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Your neuronormativity is showing

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

pookel posted:

ETA: I have a ton of memories before age 3 and they are uniformly boring, things like "I got a teddy bear for a present" or "my dad helped me get dressed for preschool."

:same:

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

my earliest memory is hatching out of an egg in a termite mound in the desert

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

i remember a hot blue sky and circling eagles, but i knew i was too small to be a worthwhile meal for them so i wasn't afraid. more threatening were the cats and giant lizards at ground level. i ran from shadow to shadow across the desert, hiding in clumps of spinifex and in the shade of mallee acacias, watching my siblings fall victim to predators one by one all around me. but somehow i survived, and eventually found my way to a train station.

i was told my ticket was pre-booked, and the train took me to a city beside the ocean. i remember little of the journey or its aftermath. my next memory is of sitting in a large room around an ice cream cake shaped like flounder from the little mermaid. it is my second birthday; i am surrounded by other children in various colours, most shades of brown, some black, and one child who was white as a dove. in time the darkest and the lightest children were removed by men in sunglasses. the rest of us were led out to a broad playground carpeted with astroturf, with a dark green shadecloth that separated us from the sky - still hot and blue but sans eagles now, though at sunset it would be filled with flocks of shrieking fruitbats.

we ran in circles, all of us, these children of the late twentieth century, and we spoke many languages and did strange, solemn dances. women fed us white bread and told us stories. one of them had a birmingham accent that infected me like a virus; it lingers to this day. in time many misfortunes befell us all.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

avshalemon posted:

i remember a hot blue sky and circling eagles, but i knew i was too small to be a worthwhile meal for them so i wasn't afraid. more threatening were the cats and giant lizards at ground level. i ran from shadow to shadow across the desert, hiding in clumps of spinifex and in the shade of mallee acacias, watching my siblings fall victim to predators one by one all around me. but somehow i survived, and eventually found my way to a train station.

i was told my ticket was pre-booked, and the train took me to a city beside the ocean. i remember little of the journey or its aftermath. my next memory is of sitting in a large room around an ice cream cake shaped like flounder from the little mermaid. it is my second birthday; i am surrounded by other children in various colours, most shades of brown, some black, and one child who was white as a dove. in time the darkest and the lightest children were removed by men in sunglasses. the rest of us were led out to a broad playground carpeted with astroturf, with a dark green shadecloth that separated us from the sky - still hot and blue but sans eagles now, though at sunset it would be filled with flocks of shrieking fruitbats.

we ran in circles, all of us, these children of the late twentieth century, and we spoke many languages and did strange, solemn dances. women fed us white bread and told us stories. one of them had a birmingham accent that infected me like a virus; it lingers to this day. in time many misfortunes befell us all.

Man I love Xavier Renegade Angel.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

AlbieQuirky posted:

Everyone who is talking about teaching themselves to read at a young age, you know that's a neurological variation that's almost always accompanied by difficulty understanding social interactions? Hyperlexia, look it up.

I have it too. :sigh:

:same: :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

avshalemon posted:

The next Hunger Games book is lookin good