Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Popete posted:

Maybes its just the badly generated 3d image but it looks pretty small regarding seating.

I was going to say the same thing. Looks barely bigger than some minor league parks, but maybe the Rays are being realistic for how many people will actually show up to games.

Edit: The more I look at it, the more it seems like there's enough seating, plus it doesn't show the upper deck very well, so there's probably lots of seats up there that are missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Rays have already said that any new stadium is going to be "right-sized" and won't be anywhere near the capacity of the Trop (which sits, what, 42K?).

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Bird in a Blender posted:

I was going to say the same thing. Looks barely bigger than some minor league parks, but maybe the Rays are being realistic for how many people will actually show up to games.

Edit: The more I look at it, the more it seems like there's enough seating, plus it doesn't show the upper deck very well, so there's probably lots of seats up there that are missing.

30k was the number I saw for seating. I believe it includes 2k standing room though.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Sydin posted:

Yeah but the league already hands Molina everything on a silver platter, why not add an ASG nod on top?

I agree. Nothing good ever comes from Yadi at an ASG.

Thank god no one in this thread was posting in favor of his having fun or hitting well at the meaningless exhibition match last year.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It will probably be the size of Marlins Park which is 36K

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Are they intentionally designing the outfield glass to maximize glare aiming at the batter or

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
i have some questions about how a translucent roof is going to affect fielding fly balls

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I'm also wondering if this glass would make it hotter inside? I feel like there is a reason we don't have a lot of glass roofs in the South.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Overall I think it's kind of a neat design but stadiums that have those jumbo recliner chairs behind home plate look dumb and I hate them.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I'm not so sure the new Rays park will ever get built. Voters here hate paying taxes for anything and I'm not sure there are enough city/county officials willing to stick their necks out for it. Even if it's not as big a scam as the Marlins project was, that left a really bad taste in people's mouths.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Popete posted:

Maybes its just the badly generated 3d image but it looks pretty small regarding seating.

If anything it's still too many.

corn on the cop posted:

i have some questions about how a translucent roof is going to affect fielding fly balls

https://twitter.com/jay_jaffe/status/1016753610695303168

Pancakes posted:

I uh, am going to credit this to Nelson Cruz given that it was his idea and phone.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
I kinda want to see it in action during a thunderstorm.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I can only hope that some combination of terrible oversight and faulty engineering turns that stadium into a greenhouse that's like 170 degrees year round

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
https://twitter.com/noahpransky/status/1016758619969413125?s=21

https://twitter.com/noahpransky/status/1016760483880325120?s=21

Nobody wants to say this will cost a billion dollars but guess what: it's gonna end up costing a billion dollars.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
I look forward to the details of how this is getting paid for coming out. Raymond James Stadium is still a bit of a bitter topic for a lot of people given the funding of that, and a lot of people point at the Lightning ownership as a positive example since they had a massive revamp of Amalie Arena paid for by the owner himself (who's also investing in a massive project around the arena). As said, the owners could foot 90% of the bill, and there would still be issues with a lot of people. I also don't really trust Sternberg in going about this in the most sensible way given how the old project went over, and how much he enjoys spending money.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Niwrad posted:

I'm also wondering if this glass would make it hotter inside? I feel like there is a reason we don't have a lot of glass roofs in the South.
It will absolutely increase the thermal load on the stadium and the cooling requirements of the HVAC system yes. It's a giant greenhouse.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Sr. VP Melanie Lenz posted:

"but its not just a ballpark - its a community asset."

AKA: You taxpayers will be footing the entire bill.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Weird to build a new stadium in Tampa when the team's gonna move to Montreal

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/TBTimes_Rays/status/1016751698323365888

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Lumpy posted:

AKA: You taxpayers will be footing the entire bill.

NO and gently caress off

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Unless wikipedia is lying to me, Tropicana only seats 31,042, so it isn't that much smaller than what they have now anyway.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Last I checked, you can get an OF seat for $18 and it's at least $20 to park at the Trop.

Parking and a cheap seat at this place is gonna be $70 minimum, I don't think there's a market here for that.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Unless wikipedia is lying to me, Tropicana only seats 31,042, so it isn't that much smaller than what they have now anyway.

It seats over 40k without all the tarp.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

I believe that is after they covered a bunch of upper deck seating with tarps/signage because they weren't selling out, it's definitely expandable to 40,000+

e;fb

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Popete posted:

It's the Ray's you don't want a whole lot of extra empty seats. They should replace them with cots so the stadium can get some use during future hurricane seasons

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Goodpancakes posted:

It's the Ray's you don't want a whole lot of extra empty seats. They should replace them with cots so the stadium can get some use during future hurricane seasons

If they were really forward thinking, they'd make it float for when Florida is swallowed by the rising sea. Then the team could travel to east coast away games in their stadium.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Lumpy posted:

If they were really forward thinking, they'd make it float for when Florida is swallowed by the rising sea. Then the team could travel to east coast away games in their stadium.

Auld's Moving Castle

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It's ugly.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
That's a really small seating capacity for a new stadium.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

GalacticAcid posted:

I have a niche request.

Does anyone know a French-language baseball podcast or radio show worth listening to? I'm trying to work on my French and that appeals to me more than listening to the news or w/e.

This is the local one that came to mind. Can't comment on the quality, just know it from occasional ads.

https://www.rds.ca/emissions/compte-complet

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

bawfuls posted:

It will absolutely increase the thermal load on the stadium and the cooling requirements of the HVAC system yes. It's a giant greenhouse.

I was thinking about the Mall of America that has a lot of glass on the roof. It auto-tints which I believe helps in the Summer but it also allows them to not need central heating all the way up in Minnesota. Glass roofs seem like a better idea in the North where Summer is short.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Tom Gorman posted:

I can only hope that some combination of terrible oversight and faulty engineering turns that stadium into a greenhouse that's like 170 degrees year round

Greenies House

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Jed Lowrie’s an All-Star (replacement) hell yeah

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Pancakes posted:

Thank god no one in this thread was posting in favor of his having fun or hitting well at the meaningless exhibition match last year.

What about the time he shoved an umpire and tried to beat the poo poo out of him, or the time he applied stickum to his chest protector and tried to laugh it off, then played the race card when asked about it postgame.

Yadi is a piece of poo poo covered by the BFIB

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

kalensc posted:

This is the local one that came to mind. Can't comment on the quality, just know it from occasional ads.

https://www.rds.ca/emissions/compte-complet

Thank you so much. I’ll check this out on my way home tonight

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Niwrad posted:

Ion Storm's glass-roof penthouse famously cost some ungodly amount of 1990s dollars to keep cool in the Dallas heat. And it didn't matter because everyone covered their cubicles in fabric to block out the glare.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Yadier Molina is an rear end in a top hat and has a lovely tattoo

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Uhhh I don’t know if anyone has tried to leave a major concert/event and try to get an Uber, but the last time I tried that I couldn’t get one for hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

FlamingLiberal posted:

Uhhh I don’t know if anyone has tried to leave a major concert/event and try to get an Uber, but the last time I tried that I couldn’t get one for hours.

Hours seems like an outlier but there are a lot of elements of the proposal that depend on future considerations...

• Locked thread