Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Do you all do the Gundam thing here? My brother in law got me a master grade model of some mecha or the other. I have utterly no idea what I'm getting myself into so any hot tips beyond what's in the OP would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Warbird posted:

Do you all do the Gundam thing here? My brother in law got me a master grade model of some mecha or the other. I have utterly no idea what I'm getting myself into so any hot tips beyond what's in the OP would be appreciated.

Its better to post it here, but models is models: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3678195&pagenumber=1

ONE OF US ONE OF US

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
After finishing up 2 out-of-the-box Tamiya builds, I realize how much of a ball ache a Revell kit with a bunch of custom crap can be. The '66 C10 is mostly done - just gotta finish up a couple decals and I'll put it in the case.

What I need in my life right now, though, is more race cars. More DTM race cars. This one:

Already got the engine and front suspension finished up so here are the first 4 steps of the model:

Should get some more done tomorrow.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

So I know that the local automotive modellers that I have met have insanely complex and long processes for finishing the paint on their cars, but that is typically for production vehicles. Do rally or race cars like yours require the same commitment to polishing/waxing and what not?

Kurvi Tasch
Oct 13, 2012

Thats von Derp for you!
Update on the Fuso:

Coming along nicely. The kit is very nice and has a huge amount of details. The instructions for the main bridge alone take two pages in the instructions:

It has way too many sub-millimeter parts for my gorilla-like hands, but so far it's turned out reasonably well. This is the first time I see a kit that is using some fancy 3D molding technique to get detail on three sides of a part. Notably, the gun-barrels have proper holes in them due to this. A word of caution, though: Fujimi can be a mixed bag. I checked on Scalesmates before I bought this one, to make sure that it's not one of their 70's molds, which they are still selling to this day.
All the detail has some downside, though: there's a lot of filigree that semi-covers stuff behind it:

and I have the feeling, it's not going to be easy to paint. In the end I'll be happy if all the parts I can't reach aren't directly visible. But knowing myself, I'll miss one really obvious spot.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Fearless posted:

So I know that the local automotive modellers that I have met have insanely complex and long processes for finishing the paint on their cars, but that is typically for production vehicles. Do rally or race cars like yours require the same commitment to polishing/waxing and what not?

I mean, you can go totally bonkers on the finish on anything automotive, really. Like you said, some dudes are extremely meticulous and a bit crazy with finishing and polishing systems, but I've never really put in the effort to try to get that "real life" shine on a model. If I can lay down a smooth enough final coat to give it some shine, I'm happy with that. I suppose you could clear over all the decals and stuff on the race cars, but I think I'd be too worried that I'd gently caress something up on the last coat and then I'd be totally screwed. Real life race cars usually only need a good enough surface to stick all the sponsorship decals too so if my finish isn't perfect, I'll just call that "realism" :v: .

Edit: Progress made today: chassis painted. Got a shitload of stuff that needs airbrushed semigloss black so I'll probably call it a day and get that some time this week.

Boaz MacPhereson fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 8, 2018

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Randomly found 1/2000 kits of the HMS. Hood and the Tirpitz in UK discount chain The Works for £3 each. They're decent little kits, made with red-brown plastic for under the waterline which lets you build them as waterline kits or low-effort display kits. Totally worth it at these prices, even if they are a bit low detail and soft. Kind of wish the range was larger than it is, but ah well.

https://www.theworks.co.uk/p/toy-models/wwii-model-ships---assorted/5052089230965

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
After I prepped all the pieces for the semi gloss black, I realized it'd be a pain in the rear end to do so much with the airbrush and I'd probably go through a good chunk of my small jar. I said to hell with that and picked up a can of TS29 instead and used that.

Did the airbox lid and attached the engine and front suspension to the chassis. First 6 steps done.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

The Locator posted:

I looked up this ship model online and I'm kind of confused. Why does it have wheels, and which end is the bow?

It's a land ship.

No, for some reason, southern European ship model companies like to branch out into trams and trains lately. Amati with the sleeping car, Artesania Latina have introduced coaches and trams and of OcCre has done train models since forever.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
What a good source for civilian ship models? Cargo ships, icebreakers, tankers, that sort of things.

I haven’t done any modeling outside of Excel since I was a wee lad, but I’m hitting my midlife crisis and I’d like to do a scale retrospective of my seagoing career.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

FrozenVent posted:

What a good source for civilian ship models? Cargo ships, icebreakers, tankers, that sort of things.

I haven’t done any modeling outside of Excel since I was a wee lad, but I’m hitting my midlife crisis and I’d like to do a scale retrospective of my seagoing career.

Could try a search on scalemates.com. They have practically every model kit ever released.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

FrozenVent posted:

It's a hard corner of the market. I know Revell Germany makes a modern cargo ship: https://www.revell.de/en/products/modelmaking/ships/civil-vessel/container-ship-colombo-express.html

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

FrozenVent posted:

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Could try a search on scalemates.com. They have practically every model kit ever released.

[url=https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?q=*&fkSECTION[]=Kits&fkGROUPS[]=%22Ships%22&fkTYPENAME[]=%22Full%20kits%22&fkCATNAME[]=%22Motorships%22&fkTYPEGROUP[]=%22Fishing%20boats%22&fkTYPEGROUP[]=%22Cargo%20ships%22&fkTYPEGROUP[]=%22Liner%22&fkTYPEGROUP[]=%22Tug%20boat%22&fkTYPEGROUP[]=%22Ferry%20ships%22&fkTYPEGROUP[]=%22Trawler%22]Every tugboat, cargo ship, non-Titanic ocean liner, fishing boat, and Ferry on Scalemates, in any scale[/url]

e: well apparently the forums hate that link, but copypaste should work

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

For cargo ships and tankers you might have more luck looking at papercraft models. Scalemates doesn't have those I think.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Threw some more junk onto my diorama.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Warbird posted:

Welcome to plastic crack and prepare to have an empty wallet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Warbird posted:

There's also a dedicated GunPla thread here, but both threads can give you useful advice. The name of the kit should be right on top of the box though.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Greyhawk posted:

For cargo ships and tankers you might have more luck looking at papercraft models. Scalemates doesn't have those I think.

How realistic an approach would a 3D printer and ship plans be? Assuming I can score the plans.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

FrozenVent posted:

How realistic an approach would a 3D printer and ship plans be? Assuming I can score the plans.

People scratch build cargo ships quite often. If you're building a large model, get ready for printing in sub assemblies... but hey if you have the know how, more power to you. It'd be a neat way to go about building it.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Hi thread, can anyone recommend a a site for custom printed decals that they've used?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Hey goons

I'm getting back into the hobby after a 20+ years long hiatus and I've done a few cheap models to get back up to speed (and also catch up with 20 years of progress in the industry).

I'd like to build bikes and cars now because I'm tired of landing gears. What would be a good kit to start? I did a Heller 1/24 Yamaha race bike and the kit wasn't very good. I'd like to go 1/12. Except for Tamiya's (might be too expensive for my skill level I think), is there any good kit to recommend? Same for cars really.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Also is there any Euro Fire Truck kit somewhere? I can only find those huge American ones.

Kurvi Tasch
Oct 13, 2012

Thats von Derp for you!

Furism posted:

Also is there any Euro Fire Truck kit somewhere? I can only find those huge American ones.

Are you rich? if yes, there's a Revell firetruck:
https://www.revell.de/en/products/modelmaking/transporters/buses/schlingmann-hlf-20-varus-4x4.html
It's 1:24 and looks quite detailed, but 70€ is still on the expensive side.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
70€ "expensive" for a model?

Oh my sweet summer child.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

70€ "expensive" for a model?

Oh my sweet summer child.

Not going to lie, I smiled when I saw that too.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
We had a good laugh in the mini painting thread not long ago after a newbie came in and said he wanted to start small because he doesn't want to spend $100 on an army.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 12, 2018

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Pierzak posted:

We had a good laugh in the mini painting thread not long ago after a newbie came in and said he wanted to start small because he doesn't want to spend $100 on an army.
There are games and scales in which $100 will get you two or even three full armies :shrug:

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Speaking of cheap kits, I started working on another set of Sweet planes.

1/144 P-51B.

The primed halves had the sidewalls thinned out with more details added. Used photos of the 1/48 Tamiya P-51B as reference.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Symetrique posted:

Speaking of cheap kits, I started working on another set of Sweet planes.

1/144 P-51B.

The primed halves had the sidewalls thinned out with more details added. Used photos of the 1/48 Tamiya P-51B as reference.

A review I read once said they were called "Sweet" because thst is the first word out of your mouth when you open your mouth. Confirm/Deny?

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Pretty much. The only downside to these kits is the lack of cockpit detail, but it doesn't really matter at this scale. Brengun makes some photo etched detail sets though.

They're simple to build and have a lot of detail. The A6M2b I posted earlier had better surface detail than the newly tooled 1/72 airfix A6M.

The P-51b is two kits in a box, with two sets of malcolm hood and birdcage canopies, and decals for six planes. You also get a choice of pressed paper or steel drop tanks. They're only like 800 jpy per box too. The box itself is pretty small so shipping charges aren't terrible.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
1/144 planes are in that really nice spot where you get to paint and decal them up nicely but not have to worry too hard about things like pilots and cockpits and stuff. I really enjoy the Zvezda Art of Tactic ones for this exact reason.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Arquinsiel posted:

There are games and scales in which $100 will get you two or even three full armies :shrug:

The mini painting thread is essentially the 40k mini painting thread for all the attention that gets paid to people posting non-GW minis, a suggestion like that is generally shouting into the wind in that thread

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

NTRabbit posted:

The mini painting thread is essentially the 40k mini painting thread for all the attention that gets paid to people posting non-GW minis, a suggestion like that is generally shouting into the wind in that thread
Even with 40k, there are section-level games. Rarely get played outside of "I already have the mans for this" I suppose, but still.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

1/144 planes are in that really nice spot where you get to paint and decal them up nicely but not have to worry too hard about things like pilots and cockpits and stuff. I really enjoy the Zvezda Art of Tactic ones for this exact reason.

They seem like a good scale for dioramas too. If I ever get around to making one I'll probably end up using a Sweet kit.

I really like what this guy did with a 1/144 A6M2-N, the Brengun photoetch set, and a coconut.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That is ridiculously charming.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I did a thing! 1:100 Zvezda Panzer II for wargaming. The crack in the front glacis is annoying, but I don't have any gap filler, being mostly used to painting little napoleonic soldiers.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Scharnhorst issue 52

We continue second planking along the bilge strake. Now only the bottom is left.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Fish and Chimps posted:

I did a thing! 1:100 Zvezda Panzer II for wargaming. The crack in the front glacis is annoying, but I don't have any gap filler, being mostly used to painting little napoleonic soldiers.

Looks great! You can always say the crack is battle damage.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Fish and Chimps posted:

That kit is a pain with that glacis gap. I don't think I got it to look good without greenstuff once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Ensign Expendable posted:

Looks great! You can always say the crack is battle damage.

Thanks! Yeah, that's the go-to excuse

Arquinsiel posted:

That kit is a pain with that glacis gap. I don't think I got it to look good without greenstuff once.

Good to know I didn't do anything wrong.

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 12, 2018