Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
im kinda sad that trump avatar guy solved it for you because its really fun to think out the tree traversal in sql imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

HoboMan posted:

ok i have a table that is full of items that may be copied from other items in the table. there is a "copied_from_id" column and business people want a count of how many times each record has been copied and copies-of-copies count only towards the original record but the copied_from_id column will have the id of the copy and not the original.

is this even possible?

sure

just have an ORIGINAL_ID column too so you don’t have to do graph traversal to get that information

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

FYI you can use {:#?} to pretty print the output.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Also if you search from the parent nodes instead of the child nodes you can do it with just regular dfs or bfs.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

floatman posted:

You could do it in pure SQL, but SHOULD you do it in pure SQL?

pulling everything from a table into the app, or writing some sort of loop to repeatedly retrieve (grand etc.) children/parent rows will land you in the coding horrors thread imo. so yes, you should do it in pure sql

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
cjs: browsing the . bash_history copied from a device in the field is the best available source of documentation I currently have on how this project is deployed

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 11, 2018

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
cjs: oh god I'm falling down a hole of endlessly nested react components. send help

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
try mescaline

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

its the only way to fly

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

gonadic io posted:

cjs: browsing the . bash_history copied from a device in the field is the best available source of documentation I currently have on how this project is deployed

yeeeeah, spread that log out and roll around in it

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer

eschaton posted:

try mescaline

Or recursion

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Finster Dexter posted:

cjs: oh god I'm falling down a hole of endlessly nested react components. send help

Reminded me, I'm 27 days into a nested component bug logged with Google's Polymer 3. No update in the last 24, :tif:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
stop using javascript for everything jesus loving christ.

how many pages REALLY need all this bullshit. look at all the sites you enjoy using, almost none of them use any stupid dynamic DOM rendering because even with "virtual DOM" and all that other stupid bullshit it still runs like total poo poo.

just loving render the page on the server side, you goddamn morons

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
our health information vendor has an API that lets us send a list of topic ids and a coversheet (in html) and sends us back a PDF with the coversheet and all the health information topics specified by the IDs. we then email or mail this to a patient. Turns out they check for script tags in the html which is good, but they do it wrong. How did I find this out? We had a failing health info print request that was getting rejected because it contained a script tag. We don't send script tags so I start troubleshooting. The coversheet contains a list of topic names so the patient has a summary of what health info is on the document we send them. It seems that if I remove the topic list, it works fine. So I look at the topic list and look to see which of them might be causing the error. Of course it was "Prescription Medication". Their anti-script code just looks for "script" and that's it. so I just added a replace on the topic list to replace script with s<span></span>cript and now it works. great. I love 2 program

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

https://twitter.com/legaladvice_txt/status/1017030592528113665

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

lol, not even filtering on just "<script"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah its dumb. I sent them a bug report but idk if they care. it would be pretty trivial to do it right w/ html agility pack or something.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
They're gonna reply, "We'll need to filter for &lt;script, too, right?"

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

how many pages REALLY need all this bullshit. look at all the sites you enjoy using, almost none of them use any stupid dynamic DOM rendering because even with "virtual DOM" and all that other stupid bullshit it still runs like total poo poo.

Oh I am in 100% agreement on this

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Shaggar posted:

our health information vendor has an API that lets us send a list of topic ids and a coversheet (in html) and sends us back a PDF with the coversheet and all the health information topics specified by the IDs. we then email or mail this to a patient. Turns out they check for script tags in the html which is good, but they do it wrong. How did I find this out? We had a failing health info print request that was getting rejected because it contained a script tag. We don't send script tags so I start troubleshooting. The coversheet contains a list of topic names so the patient has a summary of what health info is on the document we send them. It seems that if I remove the topic list, it works fine. So I look at the topic list and look to see which of them might be causing the error. Of course it was "Prescription Medication". Their anti-script code just looks for "script" and that's it. so I just added a replace on the topic list to replace script with s<span></span>cript and now it works. great. I love 2 program

For a loving medical system too. Like the one industry that's guaranteed to encounter that string regularly.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

i'm the module starter, package instigator
i'm the javascripted danger illustrated
i'm a framework starter, twisted framework starter

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

just start spelling them scrip+s

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Soricidus posted:

i'm the module starter, package instigator
i'm the javascripted danger illustrated
i'm a framework starter, twisted framework starter

more like: change my framework, batch my script up

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Why Does It Burn When I Compile?

Edit: poo poo, forget that. Why Does It Burn When I Memory Leak?

SardonicTyrant fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 12, 2018

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i am the very model of a model view controller? :v:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lol

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Had to explain to a coworker today that my new API storing refs from other microservices does not mean that it's coupled to those services.

:v: "But what if the other microservice is down and the consumer can't retrieve the data pointed to by the ref?"

This is a person who advocates for having every API hold copies of any data that might be referenced in it and use jobs everywhere to keep those local copies in sync, regardless of how important it is to have that service be up 100% of the time.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Bloody posted:

just start spelling them scrip+s

how much u wanna bet that the script check is case-sensitive

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Shaggar posted:

lol, software engineering

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Had lunch with a old coworker yesterday. Highlights include:

New engineer that joined a month before I left got the gently caress out a week after I left.

There is one last engineer left who is now in charge of integrating the 70% done project I left into our server application with no help from anybody else. The integration code was maybe 20% done when I left.

They stopped paying for slack, which has blocked all the previous logs and chats I have had that may have helped him.

They refuse to pay $2500 for a gitlab enterprise license which has expired and has blocked them from using the git server. There are no offsite backups and the CEO refuses to ask me for help.

The CEO is now starting to think that the company should just sell its enclosures and not it’s own products.

I never thought I could actually do that kind of damage to a company. :stare:

Edit: As a reminder, my initial leaving was because they refused to give me a $40,000 raise from 80 to 120 for doing full stack embedded Linux work.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jul 12, 2018

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
most companies commit suicide. they don't have homicide done to them. i don't think your old company was an exception

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

bob dobbs is dead posted:

most companies commit suicide. they don't have homicide done to them. i don't think your old company was an exception

It’s certainly suicide. I feel that I may have given them a loaded gun though. :v:

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

quote:

imposter syndrome

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

ratbert90 posted:

Had lunch with a old coworker yesterday. Highlights include:

New engineer that joined a month before I left got the gently caress out a week after I left.

There is one last engineer left who is now in charge of integrating the 70% done project I left into our server application with no help from anybody else. The integration code was maybe 20% done when I left.

They stopped paying for slack, which has blocked all the previous logs and chats I have had that may have helped him.

They refuse to pay $2500 for a gitlab enterprise license which has expired and has blocked them from using the git server. There are no offsite backups and the CEO refuses to ask me for help.

The CEO is now starting to think that the company should just sell its enclosures and not it’s own products.

I never thought I could actually do that kind of damage to a company. :stare:

Edit: As a reminder, my initial leaving was because they refused to give me a $40,000 raise from 80 to 120 for doing full stack embedded Linux work.

How much did they flush down the tube to not give you $40k?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ThePeavstenator posted:

How much did they flush down the tube to not give you $40k?

iirc he quoted earlier a couple mil

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
lol @ everything

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Stringent posted:

lol, software engineering

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

better, just write a native app and use JSON over HTTP+SSL as your access layer

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

tag the CEO on LinkedIn and say “hey, remember when I asked for a raise to a salary that was still below industry average, and you said you could just replace me? how’s that working out for you?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

what’s important is that all the CEO’s peers see it

• Locked thread