Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Bingo houstonguy. I mentioned earlier I watched season 1 - 3 on dvd and first episode of season 4 on Netflix, but had no real desire to watch it further. And the spot I ended at was fine, since he now has a kid and wife, no need to ruin it with what you mention and kill her of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Is Homeland the same as Dexter? In this case it has the plot of a self-contained story for one season, then drags it out for another two, before going on and on about something completely different. Any serious story told in this manner that tries to make a real-life point or judgement is going to be hampered by the fact that it must continue, instead of using its energies to build towards a satisfying endpoint.

The Assassin's Creed series suffers an inverse problem; Initially it had a continuous story-arc across games that nobody liked, before ending on a damp fart, and now it's episodic and is more about the historical tourism. Too many installments released at once prompted stagnation, and nobody gives a poo poo about Dan Brown anymore so now they just promote the games's easily marketable stuff like Pirates or Pyramids.

It's a mistake to try to stretch a single storyline across multiple 60-dollar 30-hour games when most players are happy with a fresh start each time.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 23:18 on Jul 11, 2018

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Is Homeland the same as Dexter? In this case it has the plot of a self-contained story for one season, then drags it out for another two, before going on and on about something completely different. Any serious story told in this manner that tries to make a real-life point or judgement is going to be hampered by the fact that it must continue, instead of using its energies to build towards a satisfying endpoint.

The Assassin's Creed series suffers an inverse problem; Initially it had a continuous story-arc across games that nobody liked, before ending on a damp fart, and now it's episodic and is more about the historical tourism. Too many installments released at once prompted stagnation, and nobody gives a poo poo about Dan Brown anymore so now they just promote the games's easily marketable stuff like Pirates or Pyramids.

Origins started a new chapter of the lovely tedious unlikable horrible modern story though

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

It's a mistake to try to stretch a single storyline across multiple 60-dollar 30-hour games when most players are happy with a fresh start each time.

Homeland feels like a show that had high expectations, but after they killed off one of the main characters they got rid of their budget and have been doing a lot of episodes where Crazy Carrie is hiding in her bedroom making mindmaps with photos and string or getting her PC hacked.

Also Saul is always in trouble. So it's mostly waiting for Saul to finally be killed. I've never seen Dexter so I don't know if that's similar.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Homeland is just a fun action/spy show. It has nothing to say.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Calaveron posted:

Origins started a new chapter of the lovely tedious unlikable horrible modern story though

Origins is definitely one of the better games though

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Calaveron posted:

I almost never played 4 after rage-quitting when the first present day sequence poked its nose in just as I was getting into the game. There really needs to be a "I just want to kill people in the past" option on those games.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Mu Zeta posted:

Homeland is just a fun action/spy show. It has nothing to say.

I remember loving that first season. And couldn't make it 4 episodes out of the second.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Sunswipe posted:

I almost never played 4 after rage-quitting when the first present day sequence poked its nose in just as I was getting into the game. There really needs to be a "I just want to kill people in the past" option on those games.

It's ridiculous how aware they are of how much people hate them but don't want to get rid of it because it's too ingrained in the series. I just began Origins yesterday and after concluding the prologue it goes to the present day and does a very rushed intro of the new Animus users and then you get to press a button to log back in the proper game like it never happened.

There isn't even that snarky encyclopedia of the historical characters and events, which I kinda missed this time because I know zilch of ancient history.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

No one has ever wanted the modern day/future stuff in Assassin's Creed games. Which is why they will always be in there.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
It’s me, actually. I made a wish on a monkey’s law that the modern story would lead to something and that we’d get to play Desmond as a modern assassin and then ACIII happened. Not sure who wished it this time though.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Completely unrelated to anything, but your avatar makes me giggle every time I see it.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I thought it was hilarious how in 2 they used the same model for Ezio and Desmond, like a flashback in a low budget TV show, but in Revelations Ezio had aged to his 50s like fine wine and in 3 Desmond was some uncanny freak of nature

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Extended Animus use may change one's ethnicity, don't judge. In ACIII Desmond and hacker-woman both get a serious beating from the ugly stick.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Extended Animus use may change one's ethnicity, don't judge. In ACIII Desmond and hacker-woman both get a serious beating from the ugly stick.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Have any of the ACs since 4 been any good? That one was pretty light on the modern day stuff PLUS you got to be a pirate.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Volcott posted:

Have any of the ACs since 4 been any good? That one was pretty light on the modern day stuff PLUS you got to be a pirate.

It was the best one. That, Uncharted Waters: New Horizons, and Sid Meier's Pirates! were the best pirate games. Monkey Island is in there somewhere too.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Volcott posted:

The Egypt one has universal acclaim and you gently caress around with Cleopatra and Julius Caesar

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Origins is legit a fantastic game marred only by the present day story

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Syndicate let me break arms and stab kidneys for my bro Karl Marx so I'll always defend it. My issue is that there should have been more Marx.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, it really sucked when Data installed his emotion chip.

From the start Data definitely responded to things in ways that indicated some level of emotion; maybe not in the same way as a human, but it was there. I think the more interesting question would have been if he actually "experienced" anything or was only following programming.

It would have been funny if he 100% did experience emotions the whole time and just thought something was wrong because he didn't go into long bouts of incapacitating maniacal laughter at the slightest joke the way the emotion chip made him, but the writers weren't that smart with his writing.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BattleMaster posted:

From the start Data definitely responded to things in ways that indicated some level of emotion; maybe not in the same way as a human, but it was there. I think the more interesting question would have been if he actually "experienced" anything or was only following programming.

It would have been funny if he 100% did experience emotions the whole time and just thought something was wrong because he didn't go into long bouts of incapacitating maniacal laughter at the slightest joke the way the emotion chip made him, but the writers weren't that smart with his writing.

I really think the best answer would have been he was programmed to feel emotions all along but there was some bug that prevented it from happening properly. The emotion chip didn't actually make him feel emotions it was just extra firmware that made it work right.

But instead of working right it overcompensated and made him over emotional. It really would have been a better description of how technology actually works.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Solice Kirsk posted:

No one has ever wanted the modern day/future stuff in Assassin's Creed games. Which is why they will always be in there.

I got sick of the series a couple hours into Revelations, but I didn't really ever have a problem with the modern day stuff, other than it seemed to stall out during the Ezio games. I liked doing the puzzles to unlock more backstory in AC2.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Was it 3 or Revelations that was rushed out because they wanted to cash in on the latest "the world is going to end" prediction because the story of the game also dealt with the end of the world?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
What? A rushed game in the AAA franchise that has released over 20 games in its 11 years of existing? I'm shocked, SHOCKED I say!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
AC3 is the clusterfuck that ends with the end-of-the-world stuff. Revelations is a very inessential spin-off that was still pretty good.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
AC3 was the one rushed out to keep the in-game doomsday date matched up with the real world date, Brotherhood and Revelations were the cash grabs made in under a year. Which is kind of funny since most people seemed to like Brotherhood more.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I think I’ve played like every rear end creed game and never finished a single one

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

oldpainless posted:

I think I’ve played like every rear end creed game and never finished a single one

AC2 ends with you fistfighting the Pope in the Sistine Chapel. It's pretty good.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
In AC4 you discover the real pirate treasure is the friends you made along the way.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I never minded the modern day stuff, I thought it had a satisfying payoff (With the death of the rear end in a top hat scientist from the first game) even if the actual ending of it didn't go anywhere.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Syndicate is very solid and has no modern day segments. Its framed as a finished product you bought from Abstergo but never breaks out.

Unity did this too but its really bad.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Volcott posted:

In AC4 you discover the real pirate treasure is the friends you made along the way.

Like the forums

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

effervescible posted:

AC3 was the one rushed out to keep the in-game doomsday date matched up with the real world date, Brotherhood and Revelations were the cash grabs made in under a year. Which is kind of funny since most people seemed to like Brotherhood more.

Brotherhood was really just more of 2 with some tweaks and extra polish, which made a good game even better. Revelations was just that with one extra thing so it felt a little lazy, even if the hookblade was cool.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Revelations also had Yusuf, the Bookseller and the Sultan, who were all cool characters.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

BioEnchanted posted:

Revelations also had Yusuf, the Bookseller and the Sultan, who were all cool characters.

I don't know the Jannisaries stick out to me after all this time after playing Revelations. Maybe they were super annoying? Or perhaps i group them up with me using all the different bombs on them for hilarious effect.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Jannisaries can just be poison darted so they should never be a problem.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
The AssCreed movie was also terrible, but amazing for extensive shirtless Michael Fassbender and some pretty great fight scenes.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I really think the best answer would have been he was programmed to feel emotions all along but there was some bug that prevented it from happening properly. The emotion chip didn't actually make him feel emotions it was just extra firmware that made it work right.

But instead of working right it overcompensated and made him over emotional. It really would have been a better description of how technology actually works.

It's not like Lore didn't have some very overt emotions, so it's not a leap that the programming was there, just disabled because well, Lore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My favorite things about Assassin's Creed 3 are how it's set in Revolutionary America so there's nothing to climb, leading to a Ubisoft Map Tower just being some flagpole on a small hill, and how the ending of the game boils down to Desmond not really paying attention to the game's themes and killing himself to pick the Templar ending (so the series can continue because they wrote themselves into a stupid corner).