Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Having a hitter potentially reach base on a dropped third strike is probably the dumbest rule in baseball and I have absolutely no idea what purpose it serves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Yeah thats what the Yankees need, another superstar at a position they don't really need one at.

Please add a salary cap.

Machado makes no money and would be a half season rental (until proven otherwise). Every team in baseball can afford that

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Tom Gorman posted:

Having a hitter potentially reach base on a dropped third strike is probably the dumbest rule in baseball and I have absolutely no idea what purpose it serves.

at its core, baseball is a game of catch between the pitcher and the catcher, while the batter tries to interfere

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Tom Gorman posted:

I've always considered it part of the weird moral undercurrent to MLB's rules. The catcher is supposed to catch the pitch. If he doesn't, then the he has to correct his mistake by recording the out at 1st.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Poque posted:

at its core, baseball is a game of catch between the pitcher and the catcher, while the batter tries to interfere

Interestingly, I sat next to a real old timer at a game a few years ago and he was a chatterbox. He said in the old days according to the rules the batter TECHNICALLY doesn't even have to swing or make contact to take off for first base during the pitch. They'd be wise to do so of course, but they didn't HAVE to. Like he was saying it was technically legal to steal first base.

I never looked up if that was actually ever the case in old timey baseball rules. But it's kind of funny to think about.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

No you get an RBI for a groundout/Fielder's Choice. You don't get an RBI from an error or double play.

Ambassador of Funk posted:

It's just like a sac fly except, you know, on the ground.
I was somehow thinking of FC as a "you may have reached but in reality you failed and you don't get rewarded for that" like an error as opposed to a sac fly, along the lines of SF not counting against you as an at-bat but FC does.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Sydin posted:

I've always considered it part of the weird moral undercurrent to MLB's rules. The catcher is supposed to catch the pitch. If he doesn't, then the he has to correct his mistake by recording the out at 1st.

But the infield fly rule makes the batter out regardless of whether the ball gets caught or not.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

John Wilkes Booth posted:

But the infield fly rule makes the batter out regardless of whether the ball gets caught or not.

Only if there is already at least one runner on base. :pseudo:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

we live in a timeline beyond parody

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1017176170352316423

at least say like, Red Sox or something

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Not even like he had to spend that much on postseason tickets

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Epic High Five posted:

we live in a timeline beyond parody

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1017176170352316423

at least say like, Red Sox or something

Don't all postseason ticket purchases for season ticket holders just count as a mandatory purchase that then counts against your next season's amount due for any unused games? I know that in theory that's how it works with the White Sox but in practice, y'know, White Sox.

I assume he bought more seats for the postseason than he had season tickets, but still. Give me more details and wear the hat, Ashley.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pancakes posted:

Don't all postseason ticket purchases for season ticket holders just count as a mandatory purchase that then counts against your next season's amount due for any unused games? I know that in theory that's how it works with the White Sox but in practice, y'know, White Sox.

I assume he bought more seats for the postseason than he had season tickets, but still. Give me more details and wear the hat, Ashley.

there's a slight possibility that what he claims is the truth is actually a lie

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

N: https://twitter.com/McCulloughTimes/status/1017189316412313600

V: Ross is cool and good

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
https://twitter.com/Angels/status/1017190574200315904

Well that sucks

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Hasn't he been dealing with UCL problems since 2016? I know he's tried his best to avoid TJS but at this point if he'd just gotten it when he initially had the tear he'd have been back and (hopefully) healthy by now.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Sydin posted:

Hasn't he been dealing with UCL problems since 2016? I know he's tried his best to avoid TJS but at this point if he'd just gotten it when he initially had the tear he'd have been back and (hopefully) healthy by now.

Yeah, he first tore it back in 2016 and went with stem cell injections and then missed most of 2017 with a biceps injury. He really hasn't pitched much since 2015 after coming back from his knee injury.

He might have pitched his last game for the Angels last night, it's really too bad how many injuries he's had over the past few years.

e: I wonder if this changes Ohtani's outlook at all, it would be a nightmare if they stuck with the injections and he goes down in 2019/20

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 12, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Aguliar made it :toot:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Muncy was robbed, bummer

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

bawfuls posted:

Muncy was robbed, bummer
I voted for him, that dude slaughtered us

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Muncy still leads the NL in walk rate, OPS, and wRC+, along with a 0.5 fWAR lead over Aguilar despite 11 fewer games played. Oh well hope he mashes at the derby and makes everyone look foolish.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
It's weird to be pushy about a guy getting surgery when he doesn't have to. He's pitched fine since then, his other injuries are all unrelated, and getting Tommy John doesn't mean you won't tear your UCL again anyway so why risk a surgery?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

GET HYPE

https://twitter.com/pedromoura/status/1017205740405022720

(that is not where his velo was before the injury but progress is progress)

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
https://twitter.com/goodfundies/status/1017205817781649410

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Muncy was robbed, bummer

At least Stripling made it :unsmith:

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Tom Gorman posted:

Kind of like what Sydin was saying, only "clean" defensive plays are supposed to get runners/batters out. Naturally with the very nature of baseball, the defensive plays are far from clean when chaos ball rules, but outs can still be rewarded.

tl;dr outs are earned, not given

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Timby posted:

Only if there is already at least one runner on base. :pseudo:

the infield fly rule doesn't apply if there's only one runner on base

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Reds, being, Reds

https://mobile.twitter.com/statsbystats/status/1017219347939516416

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
N: https://twitter.com/jakemkaplan/status/1017232340437872640

V: Get ready for The Stare, Cubsposters :stare:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
gently caress yeah Freddie is in the HR Derby

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

HR Derby:
Aguilar vs Hoskins
Harper vs Freeman
Muncy vs Baez
Bregman vs Schwarber

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
is Shohei healthy enough to compete in home run derby

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/1017240066287128576

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Eddie couldn't even get into the Derby :smith:

Why are seven of the eight players in the derby from the NL

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.
A pitcher just hit a homer off a position player today.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Surprised Judge isn’t in. Is he spooked after slumping so hard after last year’s?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Surprised Judge isn’t in. Is he spooked after slumping so hard after last year’s?

he said he was cool with being one and done

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

In the 5th inning

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Because it’s not at Yankee Stadium

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Video is here, the tweet has a really huge text preface so I don’t want to embed it lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The beat journalists that cover the Yankees are convinced that it's what led to his shoulder problems in the second half based on some of the YES preseason interviews he gave. Can't remember specifically but it was stuff about him saying he never took that many max effort swings in such a short time

• Locked thread