Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

Hey, you can take the QLine like 2 miles one way and then back or ride the People Mover in a circle. I would be the happiest person in the world if they got a train going from Flint to Detroit. Thankfully I have the option of going in late so I miss rush hour both ways. When I had to be there at 8:00 it was taking me 1.5 hours each way. If we hadn't just bought a house last year (when my wife was working 10 minutes from it and I was 100% remote worker) we would be moving.

I was in a van pool for a couple of years and that was nice, but it got too expensive, so now I'm driving myself and doing a 6a-3p cycle which is lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I just wish I could work four 10 hour days and have an extra day off :(

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
My commute is...weird.

I moved to a different state but stayed with the same job as it was semi remote anyway. I spend every other week in NYC and do a string of client visits and I work from home otherwise.

On the plus side I'm racking up the Amtrak points but it's getting super draining.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

kensei posted:

Cool, should we make an Ignite Thread closer to the event?

You should, cuz I just got the word that I've been officially approved to go. :krad:

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

suuma posted:

I just wish I could work four 10 hour days and have an extra day off :(

I'm doing this right now for summer hours (which means we can leave an hour early, or choose to stay two hours extra for four 10s.) I see coworkers leave at 4 and wish I could leave then, knowing I have to stay for another two hours, but then I'm reminded how awesome it is when I'm sleeping in on Friday.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
On the other hand, I'm currently doing four 12's and then four days off and it's garbage. 10 may be the limit for sanity.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Arquinsiel posted:

On the other hand, I'm currently doing four 12's and then four days off and it's garbage. 10 may be the limit for sanity.

I loved my 12s. I don't really unwind after work, so having so many days clear is p awesome

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I submitted a simple form to be filled out by the director two months ago so it could be submitted it to the Department of Education. Literally all he had to do was sign, print, date, and write his job title.

I asked him if he had finished it so I could submit it to the DoE.

:v: Yes, I've finished it, and [PA] has already submitted it.

Easy.

I got an email today from a very angry DoE member that I have not submitted this form and the deadline was the first of the month. I informed him that it should have been submitted months ago and he verified that it had not been that thing. They told me I've got until the end of the day to get it submitted. I took another copy of the form to the director and told him the last one got lost somewhere along the line and we have to have this one finished and submitted by the end of the day. I told him to just fill out the part that says "Authorized Person Signature" and I'd take care of the rest.

An hour later that form was sitting in my department mailbox, unfilled, with a post-it note that simply asks "Contact person same or different from authorized person?"

By then he was already gone and out of town until Monday.

I work three doors down from him and I was in my office the entire time.

Also, new job fell through after I accepted it. But I had an interview last week for a senior desktop service position at a college that I feel I have a very good shot at. There's always a light.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

final interview friday for a job in denver :woop:

looks like a lovely company, but better than no job!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

RFC2324 posted:

I loved my 12s. I don't really unwind after work, so having so many days clear is p awesome
I'm sleeping through my first day off at a minimum right now. The weekly alternation between earlies and lates is not helpful with that though.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

RFC2324 posted:

We're all 3.5 12s (3x 12-hour shifts and a sixer but I'm actually 3 12s and a 7 since the weekly meeting starts an hour before my half-day does).

And we're hourly.

And all of us are scheduled this way.

And our new manager is persistently confused about why we're all getting OT.

:doh:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Schadenboner posted:

We're all 3.5 12s (3x 12-hour shifts and a sixer but I'm actually 3 12s and a 7 since the weekly meeting starts an hour before my half-day does).

And we're hourly.

And all of us are scheduled this way.

And our new manager is persistently confused about why we're all getting OT.

:doh:

lol

I did both 3.5 12s and alternating 3-4 day weeks. Both were awesome, but the alternating wednesdays off were the best. Also, your manager is an idiot.

Arquinsiel posted:

I'm sleeping through my first day off at a minimum right now. The weekly alternation between earlies and lates is not helpful with that though.

not having the same hours every day you work sucks and completely fucks me up every time. I'll work any shift, as long as its the same shift.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, I'm coming off the first nightshift now and I'm genuinely regretting taking the job. It was the first place that offered me anything though, and I'd been unemployed for a few months so :confuoot:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah, I'm coming off the first nightshift now and I'm genuinely regretting taking the job. It was the first place that offered me anything though, and I'd been unemployed for a few months so :confuoot:

2 years unemployed/self employed and bad at it.

Sometimes you just gotta take the job

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

So I think I've mentioned a couple times that my current job has been going more and more call centre-y over the last year, and certainly since I started at it 2 and a half years ago.

I have an interview on Monday to return to pretty much what I used to get to do, with a 7k payrise, opportunities to work from home, and I'd be surprised if it ever involved regular weekend work, whereas a few people in my current job reckon we're only a few months away from weekend work in general.

So wish me luck please, but they're essentially looking for someone to come in and do what I did when I started my current job - I don't know their specific technical details, but I have a track record of coming in not knowing the specifics, but getting down the the nitty gritty on a quick schedule

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It sucks that the best way to get a job is to have one, but sometimes you have to play the game. I have covered for a few months before by claiming to do freelance sysadmin stuff.

Edit: ^ and good luck

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Thanks Ants posted:

It sucks that the best way to get a job is to have one, but sometimes you have to play the game. I have covered for a few months before by claiming to do freelance sysadmin stuff.

Edit: ^ and good luck

i had one place ask me for client references when i told them i had been doing freelance work.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

RFC2324 posted:

i had one place ask me for client references when i told them i had been doing freelance work.

Everyone here has done freelance work for everyone else here, y'know. We just may need to be reminded what specifically we signed you on to do....

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Everyone here has done freelance work for everyone else here, y'know. We just may need to be reminded what specifically we signed you on to do....
Of course the specifics are NDA'd, but I can confirm that you worked for me and I would hire you again.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

Of course the specifics are NDA'd, but I can confirm that you worked for me and I would hire you again.

But it was definitely related to that thing their looking for. And you were excellent and saved us money.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Good luck to Larches and everyone else making career moves! Nail those interviews!

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
So, yesterday I signed the papers on my first IT job that isn't helldesk, starts in September. Made this summer much nicer, since I won't have to be around this madhouse for much longer. Just a month now, then I'll quit so that my final day at work will be the day before the wedding of a dear friend.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ataxerxes posted:

So, yesterday I signed the papers on my first IT job that isn't helldesk, starts in September. Made this summer much nicer, since I won't have to be around this madhouse for much longer. Just a month now, then I'll quit so that my final day at work will be the day before the wedding of a dear friend.
Congratulations on escaping the helldesk. :yotj:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Arquinsiel posted:

poo poo job >> no job.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

spog posted:

poo poo job >> no job.

Not emptyquoting.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
The commute chat is timely. Yesterday was the day for me. The inevitable day that I've been dreading.

I left a helldesk position and started a new gig about 4 months ago, and now I have three elementary schools that I take care of. Out of sheer coincidence, two of them are within just 2 or 3 blocks of my old gig (yes, the two schools are placed unusually close to each other) and have the same commute except I turn right or left immediately after driving past my old job.

Yesterday was the day I wasn't paying attention and reflexively pulled into my old job's parking lot.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

spog posted:

poo poo job >> no job.

Also a big empty gap on a resume is a red flag.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

nominal posted:

Yesterday was the day I wasn't paying attention and reflexively pulled into my old job's parking lot.

D:

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I just stumbled across a user in AD with the actual factual first name Reaganomics. It's too early to be this done with my day.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

spog posted:

poo poo job >> no job.

Wibla posted:

Not emptyquoting.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Jaded Burnout posted:

This is even more egregious, some dev slapped a 50 character limit on the email address field on the login screen, because I guess if you gotta put a limit in why not just make one up.

Ive seen this a lot. Varchar(50) is the default datatype/size for some database engines, so when you build tables lots of fields end up as this because why bother actually analyzing your data ahead of time?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

spog posted:

poo poo job >> no job.
I mean, no job was way more fun and had a better effort/reward ratio...

Moey posted:

Also a big empty gap on a resume is a red flag.
Oh I've got plenty of those already, one more can't hurt, right? :smithicide:

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

The Muffinlord posted:

I just stumbled across a user in AD with the actual factual first name Reaganomics. It's too early to be this done with my day.
"Yo, the best part of you trickled down your mom's leg!"

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Agrikk posted:

Ive seen this a lot. Varchar(50) is the default datatype/size for some database engines, so when you build tables lots of fields end up as this because why bother actually analyzing your data ahead of time?

My entire job is to find large problems in our company, and arrange for them to be fixed. It's an incredibly broad remit and lets me poke my nose into whatever I come across.

Once upon a time, our Ops department was in hot water. See, for as long as anyone could remember, you had to reboot all of our servers ever 48 days, or they'd crash on the 49th. Given we had hundreds of servers, they were rebooting several servers a week, causing this low level downtime across internal tools and customer-facing outages.

I found out about this at 1pm some day. I thought "oh, wow, that's an awfully specific time period," and started doing some math.

How may hours is that? Seconds? Minute? Milliseconds?

Oh, 49 days is about 4.2 billion milliseconds. Unsigned INT data types max out at approx 4.2 billion.

Time it took me to figure that out: about 30 seconds.
Time it took me to send an email to the VP of Ops: about 30 seconds.
Time it took his team to figure out that they had this uptime counter/reporting service that counted in milliseconds and was overflowing after 49 days: about an hour

Time saved by Ops in man hours for reboots: 3-4 hours per week.

Time I'm still amazed that no one figured that out before I did: over a year and counting

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

My entire job is to find large problems in our company, and arrange for them to be fixed.

I would very much like a job like this

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

Oh, 49 days is about 4.2 billion milliseconds. Unsigned INT data types max out at approx 4.2 billion.

This was also a bug in Windows NT 4, approximately 20 years ago.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Jaded Burnout posted:

It's both the best and the worst.

It's the best because I get to make a meaningful difference at any level of the organization. It can be anything from "we lack proper documentation on problem X" to "oh poo poo this problem could bankrupt us". I've done presentations and roundtables with everyone from our L1 call center techs to C-Levels.

It's the worst because, while I FIND problems all the time, I generally can't implement the solutions on my own. That requires working with other teams, and requires me to weasel my way into their schedules. I constantly have to prove that no, this really is an issue, and yes, it's costing us more than your current shiny project could every possibly earn, and no, this can't wait six months for you to finish that project, and no, jesus gently caress, have you ever heard the term "sunk cost fallacy"?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Jaded Burnout posted:

:same::hf::emptyquote:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
It would definitely be a fun job, but also amazingly annoying at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

posting in this thread for the first time in years about how dumb this job is sometimes

https://twitter.com/Kaboobi/status/1017456577715015680