Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

GalacticAcid posted:

Video is here, the tweet has a really huge text preface so I don’t want to embed it lol.

Descalso's reaction is perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Sydin posted:

I've always considered it part of the weird moral undercurrent to MLB's rules. The catcher is supposed to catch the pitch. If he doesn't, then the he has to correct his mistake by recording the out at 1st.

Yeah, baseball asks us to believe that observing rules is a virtue, especially the ones that don't make any sense, and that we understand that the cardinal virtue is effort. Baseball is really hard core American Protestantism and we wonder why players lean conservative. They're the true believers in rules.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Players lean conservative because the best place to play ball is where it’s warm which happens to be the most politically conservative section of the US lol

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

GalacticAcid posted:

Players lean conservative because the best place to play ball is where it’s warm which happens to be the most politically conservative section of the US lol

That too

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

GalacticAcid posted:

California and Florida are like the two biggest MLB player producing states because the weather is mild enough to play year round.

Players are (mostly) conservative because they're (mostly) white, and playing baseball as an adolescent in this country is expensive so they tend to have above median family wealthy.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I always forget California produces baseball players, I guess because our entire alleged pitching staff is from San Diego.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I remember Kris Bryant saying something along the lines of being in the HR Derby is legit exhausting, and while it was great that he could participate and his dad pitched to him for that, he’s okay with not doing it again.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
So uh Shelby Miller certainly had a game tonight.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Alex Blandino has a rockin knuckleball and was also hitting 90 with his fastball.

Can't be worse than Homer Bailey.

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1017236796957175808?s=19

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Chief McHeath posted:

Alex Blandino has a rockin knuckleball and was also hitting 90 with his fastball.

Can't be worse than Homer Bailey.

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1017236796957175808?s=19

Holy poo poo that's legit 0rpm.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

bawfuls posted:

Muncy still leads the NL in walk rate, OPS, and wRC+, along with a 0.5 fWAR lead over Aguilar despite 11 fewer games played. Oh well hope he mashes at the derby and makes everyone look foolish.

Actually, Muncy isn't qualified for rate stats so Aguilar leads the league in OPS. (And OPS+, SLG, and HR). And the Brewers have the best record in the NL. It's pretty well deserved.

:classiclol:

(Muncy is also really good this season and his OBP is insane)

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 12, 2018

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
deGrom last night: 8IP, 0ER, 5H, 1BB, 7K, ND.

If I were him I’d be screaming to get traded.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
deGrom, if traded, should go for a literal fortune.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Oh man, I can't wait to not go to this. :allears:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Are the biscuits owned by Fox News?

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Thom P. Tiers posted:

deGrom, if traded, should go for a literal fortune.

A team that could use him would never have the resources for a fair trade. Well, except for the Dodgers or the Yankees.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

YeahTubaMike posted:

wow, I did not anticipate this milkshake-ducking.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
affluent white SoCal is full of conservatives anyway

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
it is getting harder and harder to support pro athletes because i can't like anyone who is politically conservative

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

bewbies posted:

it is getting harder and harder to support pro athletes because i can't like anyone who is politically conservative

Come join the NBA thread!

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

bewbies posted:

I just reread books about Curt Flood and sigh. :smith:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Is there a convincing explanation for how Joey Bats morphed from a light-hitting fringe player through his mid-20s into a powerhouse juggernaut with 54 home runs at age 29

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

GalacticAcid posted:

Is there a convincing explanation for how Joey Bats morphed from a light-hitting fringe player through his mid-20s into a powerhouse juggernaut with 54 home runs at age 29

The Blue Jays tweaked his swing a little and everything came together is the accepted story isn't it? Unless you think it was PEDs or something I guess.

e: Here's an old ESPN thing claiming that at least. It's definitely a weird career.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 12, 2018

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

GalacticAcid posted:

https://sports.theonion.com/jose-bautista-1819590340

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

lol

Grittybeard posted:

The Blue Jays tweaked his swing a little and everything came together is the accepted story isn't it? Unless you think it was PEDs or something I guess.

e: Here's an old ESPN thing claiming that at least. It's definitely a weird career.

Thanks, will read.

I liked Bautista a lot when he was in Pittsburgh since I liked his arm in right field. But when I saw him leading the AL in homers a couple years later though I had to check to see if it was the same dude.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

bewbies posted:

Yeah, this year's most/least favorite players thread (which I'm specifically waiting until after the ASG to post, in case anyone was wondering where it was) is going to be interesting.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Max Scherzer and Sean Doolittle are cool. It's safe to like them. Well, I guess Scherzer has never really said anything political one way or the other so who really knows, but his wife is cool and so is Eireann Dolan.
https://twitter.com/emaysway/status/1004186025491681285

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

The Machado to NY rumors continues to expand in scope with each passing day and threatens harm to countless AL fans and the move must be resisted.
#ResistYankees #SayNoToYankeeHegemony. Rise up and support #MachadoToTheNL

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah I've already had to put up with two super stars getting traded to NL Central rivals for peanuts, so as far as I'm concerned Machado landing on the Yankees is a massive improvement over any NL team.

Also because supposedly he also wants to go there in FA which will be an interesting clusterfuck since Didi is tearing it up, and Machado is a dumpster fire at SS but despite that has thrown several hissy fits to the media already about how "I'm a SS, wherever I end up, I'm going to play SS."

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

the popes toes posted:

The Machado to NY rumors continues to expand in scope with each passing day and threatens harm to countless AL fans and the move must be resisted.
#ResistYankees #SayNoToYankeeHegemony. Rise up and support #MachadoToTheNL

Machado to Milwaukee

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

YeahTubaMike posted:

It is quite apt in the sense that the giveaway is way crappier than basically any other promotional giveaway, but with the idea that one is particularly entitled in receiving it

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
dWAR is bullshit. But, can someone explain to me how Machado went from a ridiculously great and elite 3B defense to an apparently atrocious and horrible SS? I don't get it. The only difference I see is having to have range in both directions? His arm is still a cannon isn't it?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The only fair thing to do is not let Machado play for any team and have the Yankees pay his salary.

Crisis solved.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Sydin posted:

Yeah I've already had to put up with two super stars getting traded to NL Central rivals for peanuts, so as far as I'm concerned Machado landing on the Yankees is a massive improvement over any NL team.

Also because supposedly he also wants to go there in FA which will be an interesting clusterfuck since Didi is tearing it up, and Machado is a dumpster fire at SS but despite that has thrown several hissy fits to the media already about how "I'm a SS, wherever I end up, I'm going to play SS."

I’m sure this has to be an Arod type situation where they’ve talked to him and he’ll move to third. I don’t think they are moving Didi to third.

I don’t like this move for the Yankees at all. We need pitching, the lineup is not a problem.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

GalacticAcid posted:

Everything from awesome batting while being a bad batter to awesome guy while being a dick to media is thanks to Cito.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

mikeraskol posted:

I’m sure this has to be an Arod type situation where they’ve talked to him and he’ll move to third. I don’t think they are moving Didi to third.

I don’t like this move for the Yankees at all. We need pitching, the lineup is not a problem.

Except the A-Rod situation was bullshit because A-Rod was a far superior shortstop to Derek Jeter.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mikeraskol posted:

I have no problem with making the lineup even better but pitching should absolutely be the priority.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

In that picture he holds the bat with the lower hand past the knob. Is that typical? It seems awful and uncomfortable.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Salvor_Hardin posted:

In that picture he holds the bat with the lower hand past the knob. Is that typical? It seems awful and uncomfortable.

A lot of power hitters do that, gives you more leverage but you give up some bat control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Salvor_Hardin posted:

It's shockingly common in the majors once you start looking for it. Bautista looks like he's a little further than most, but having the pinky on the end of the knob isn't rare at all.

• Locked thread