Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011

SergZpartan posted:

Its in the game by default, leave a fusion core in a power armor, and when an enemy is near they will hop right in.
No the real trick is getting the idiots back out, you have to pickpocket the core back without getting caught.

I was hoping for something a little more reliable than spawning a mongrel with the console and praying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Even when I sent Preston to The Castle in the set of Minuteman T-45 I made for him, he just dumped it at the fuckin' gate of the Castle and started loving about with the razorgrain field...

It's like, dude, I thought it was clear that I want you up on the walls patrolling in that fuckin' armor, not shucking oats.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Quick question since I'm working my way through the OP:

Since I've never played Fallout 4, should I give Vanilla an unmodified try, or are there some quality of life mods or one-stop-shop mods I should definitely pick up even before starting?

I had played Skyrim vanilla for the first time ages ago, but even on the first run with mods, I said "Jesus christ, I wish I had had this and that before ever playing, it would have made for so much more of a satisfying / complete experience", hence my question.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Quick question since I'm working my way through the OP:

Since I've never played Fallout 4, should I give Vanilla an unmodified try, or are there some quality of life mods or one-stop-shop mods I should definitely pick up even before starting?

I had played Skyrim vanilla for the first time ages ago, but even on the first run with mods, I said "Jesus christ, I wish I had had this and that before ever playing, it would have made for so much more of a satisfying / complete experience", hence my question.

I'm no expert but I would stick with fairly minor gameplay changes and graphical stuff for a while. Like I installed the Raider Overhaul mod which I thought was a pretty innocuous "hey let's make raiders more diverse" mod, but it means that the very first raiders you encounter will drop armor that is stronger than anything you would normally see until well into the game. But you wouldn't realise this if you hadn't played vanilla. It's annoying when stuff seems too easy or too hard and you have no idea if it's because of a mod(s) or just the base game.

I think maybe "Armorsmith Extended" is a no-brainer first run mod that still affects gameplay?

And the UI mods probably.

Here are some random ones that make the game a lot more atmospheric but which shouldn't mess with vanilla balance / gameplay too much:
Vivid Weathers
Darker Nights
Enhanced Lighting and FX (like the Skyrim mod)
Extreme Particle Overhual
ENB Lights Overhaul
Spitfire (gunfire effects)
Realistic ragdolls
Enhanced blood textures
High-poly weapons
Pip-boy flashlight

Glazius posted:

The Logistics Station mod is an industrial plot whose worker becomes a provisioner in a minimum spanning tree of other logistics stations, and the plot gets extra functions like summoning the provisioner to arm them up or whatever.

Thanks for all this, it was very helpful. I installed the Logistics Station mod but haven't got to the point where I can try it out yet.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

SergZpartan posted:

Its in the game by default, leave a fusion core in a power armor, and when an enemy is near they will hop right in.
No the real trick is getting the idiots back out, you have to pickpocket the core back without getting caught.

The real fun is to find the armors again. I left a few armors with fusion core in sanctuary and when i came back they were all over the place.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
Trying to get Valdacil's item sorting, AWKCR and Def ui working and considering they all share a creator they do not want to work together. LOOT shuffles Def ui to a position where it removes all the junk tags and all the armour piece tags appear as icon-tag-name even with only a single tag. I'll fiddle with it a bit more but it's such an effort for such a little reward.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

One thing Horizon is definitely making harder is the dungeons. Ammo is few and far between and even recycling damaged rounds and cells isn't providing a ton, so in places like Fort Hagen you're liable to start running low on ammo. I ended up resorting to a sword to take out one synth (which took about 5 minutes of back and forth because it kept blocking all my hits) before meeting Kellogg. Luckily I was able to pick up a few more rounds right before the final fight and dumped most of them into his face to take him out of the fight instantly.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Synths in Horizon are horrendous bullet sponges, you definitely need to scavenge around a fair bit to build up your stocks before you hit Arcjet or Fort Hagen.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kafouille posted:

Synths in Horizon are horrendous bullet sponges, you definitely need to scavenge around a fair bit to build up your stocks before you hit Arcjet or Fort Hagen.

Not really, their vulnerable point is just their arms and legs instead of the head. It makes them stupidly easy to take out in VATS with little ammo

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Dalael posted:

The real fun is to find the armors again. I left a few armors with fusion core in sanctuary and when i came back they were all over the place.

The mod posted a few pages back allows you to mark poo poo for player use only. It's magical and does what it says.

Edit: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/31286

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 10, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also the assault rifle (renamed Light Machine Gun because of course it is) and my modified Institute laser rifle shred early game synths surprisingly well. It's just a matter of ammo.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I like my Bethesda games "Vanilla, but with quality of life mods" and I've spent a few days sorting through the popular mods on Nexus, and I've come to a happy set up that fulfills everything I had wanted. I'll be able to post a full load order when I get home but the big ones from the top of my head:

Basic Pre-Reqs, UI, Minimal Balance and Texture Mods.
AWKCR, DEF_UI, Valdcil's Item Sorting, the updated/additional icons mod (forgot its name)
Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch.
Vivid Fallout, Vivid Weather
Scrap Everything, Better Companions (All in One?), Equillibrium, Weapons of Fate (though I can't tell if this one is working, any time I try to lead a far off target it turns out I didn't need to)
A glow mod for magazines, holotapes, and bobbleheads, it is some kind of all in one mod.
Wasteland Salon(?) and LooksMenu.

Biggest changes mods:
Sim Settlements Three In One
Year-One Megapack for Sim Settlements
More Mayors (for sim settlements)
IDEK's Logistics Station for Sim Settlements (seriously, this one should just be baked right into the mod)
Pre-war safe's and trunk contents overhaul (only a recent install so I haven't seen really what it does, but I had gotten tired of pipe guns everywhere.)

Don't need any weight mods as that comes with Vald's Item sorting. I chose to customize the installation, but Vald's Picks + DLC is good enough if you really don't wanna deal with it.
Not listing the BAZILLION compatibility patches that exist for those basic mods and the unofficial fallout patch.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

chitoryu12 posted:

Also the assault rifle (renamed Light Machine Gun because of course it is) and my modified Institute laser rifle shred early game synths surprisingly well. It's just a matter of ammo.

The best synth killer I've found thus is the combat shotgun. They're always in your face in perfect shotgun range, plus any lazy shot at center of mass is liable to hit their arms, anyway. The other thing I've found useful are mines, since Synths tend to beeline for you in predictably aggressive ways.

But yeah, ammo; that's easily the most enduring problem for me in Horizon. Makes ghoul hunts annoyingly wasteful unless you really need hairbrushes and teddy bears

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Riatsala posted:

The best synth killer I've found thus is the combat shotgun. They're always in your face in perfect shotgun range, plus any lazy shot at center of mass is liable to hit their arms, anyway. The other thing I've found useful are mines, since Synths tend to beeline for you in predictably aggressive ways.

But yeah, ammo; that's easily the most enduring problem for me in Horizon. Makes ghoul hunts annoyingly wasteful unless you really need hairbrushes and teddy bears

I got a Chinese sword after taking out Covenant so I've been using that as my main melee weapon, with plans to make the blade serrated and electrified once I gather the materials. I added Live Dismemberment with the Horizon patch so I'm chopping limbs left and right on ghouls.

Synths are just really hard because they block almost every swing even after you block and counterattack, so you need to look for other openings like animations, swinging at the same time as them and hoping you hit first, or getting them distracted with companions.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Erd posted:

I was hoping for something a little more reliable than spawning a mongrel with the console and praying.

We're about due for a new thread title

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I need a beefier rig to actually run rise of the commonwealth. It was fine for a while but now that Sanctuary is up to level 2 with about 24 settlers I just hard crash when I get too close.

The higher level settlements look really cool but goddamn are they intensive as gently caress.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Looks like Sanctuary is maxing out at only 20 settlers despite having Increased Settler Population and using the Spawn Settler Button to try and force it. Does the button not work properly with an increased settler cap? Posts on the mod page seem to suggest it should be working all the way till 56 at least.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah then no way am I going to mess with that nonsense.

I'm already often running at 90% GPU and often 80% CPU even without those terribly optimized bolt on tiddies.

I suspect that there is no easy way to really deal with clipping properly, so settlement expansion mods are probably rendering everything, even the poo poo that's occluded.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Looks like Sanctuary is maxing out at only 20 settlers despite having Increased Settler Population and using the Spawn Settler Button to try and force it. Does the button not work properly with an increased settler cap? Posts on the mod page seem to suggest it should be working all the way till 56 at least.

Spawn settler has issues with the default cap of 10+cha. It should still be getting more over time though.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, I'm finally starting to get the hang of power lines and connecting between items. I got enough resources for a 100 power generator and I'm taking advantage of it by stringing lights all over Sanctuary. I was getting tired of approaching my hometown in the middle of the night and it being totally dead and dark.

Just having some issues figuring out exactly how close things like interior lights need to be to power connectors.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I build raised, fenced stands for my generators because attackers love trying to smash them.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Is there an option for building something like dirt paths or sidewalks or something like that? I have some shacks set up with thin alleys between them (like an ancient Sumerian city) and it would look better if I could lay down paths and streets instead of just having the plain dirt and grass.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

chitoryu12 posted:

Is there an option for building something like dirt paths or sidewalks or something like that? I have some shacks set up with thin alleys between them (like an ancient Sumerian city) and it would look better if I could lay down paths and streets instead of just having the plain dirt and grass.

Closest I can offer is to use the wood bridge (Under Structures>Wood>Misc I think) and clip the poles into the ground so it's right at ground level.

-

Since I'm posting here, might as well share the news that my latest save file is now broken. Tried upgrading too many mods at once, SimSettlements errors are showing up extensively in the papyrus logs. Rip 54 hours of my life.

Not sure I'll stick with SimSettlements on my next play through - even on a beefy computer, Sanctuary and other settlements were bringing my frames way down. Might just end up avoiding doing settlement stuff until I get back to where I am now quest wise.

Otacon fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 12, 2018

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Otacon posted:

Closest I can offer is to use the wood bridge (Under Structures>Wood>Misc I think) and clip the poles into the ground so it's right at ground level.

-

Since I'm posting here, might as well share the news that my latest save file is now broken. Tried upgrading too many mods at once, SimSettlements errors are showing up extensively in the papyrus logs. Rip 54 hours of my life.

Not sure I'll stick with SimSettlements on my next play through - even on a beefy computer, Sanctuary and other settlements were bringing my frames way down. Might just end up avoiding doing settlement stuff until I get back to where I am now quest wise.

I was considering using SimSettlements (I downloaded and installed it) but then I came to the conclusion that I never have to use any settlements except for hangman's alley so a whole mod for just 1 settlement is probably just not worth it. Instead, I decided to use my complete lack of imagination and practically copy 99% a guy's settlement he posted on youtube. It looks fuckin' awesome so I consider it a tribute to that guy, whoever he is.

*Edit: This. I'm copying this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIGolE2-ATo

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

i don't run with much but in my current playthrough im really enjoying sim settlements all in one and amazing follower tweaks

the latter comes with a lot of feature bloat but you can pretty much ignore it as its all turned off by default, it lets you recruit up to 5 companions + dogmeat, and lets you change up AI / toggle unlimited ammo / no PA damage, returns settlers to their original home so piper doesn't just abandon nat to go hang out at red rocket all day, and even lets you tweak companion reactions to things (like turn off griping about picking up junk). all the other follower mods ive tried out either are janky or long past the last update while AFT is being actively worked on too

ive pretty much given up on VIS because it requires like a billion patches and it just ended up being more bother than its worth

edit: also the best mod

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

So I decided on Armorsmith, a couple of ambience/weather mods, a couple of "realistic" physics mods, but then I once again realized I forgot that mods will probably disable achievements, so I'm considering a straight-vanilla run for my first pass at the game, because I'm a bit of a sucker for achievements. I'm kinda hoping that the GUI/user interface isn't as bad as vanilla Skyrim compared to modded versions.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Pretty sure there's a mod to reenable cheevos?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

So I decided on Armorsmith, a couple of ambience/weather mods, a couple of "realistic" physics mods, but then I once again realized I forgot that mods will probably disable achievements, so I'm considering a straight-vanilla run for my first pass at the game, because I'm a bit of a sucker for achievements. I'm kinda hoping that the GUI/user interface isn't as bad as vanilla Skyrim compared to modded versions.

Use this mod and re-enable achievements

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12465

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
A quick question, I've come off Rust, so the clunky rear end building system is killing me, is there anything that makes it a bit more intuitive? Things like sometimes I can place walls on a floor and sometimes not. Snapping being weird and all that junk.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

so in a like 60 hour playthrough ive been working through the past month this all of a sudden happened

that's the stairs in the prydwen and you could interact with the shack and it says its a part of warwick homestead, anyone else see something like this? first hiccup ive had with this save really and i am 99.9% sure it has something to do with sim settlements

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
Sim Settlements in my experience sometimes fucks up and has to be refreshed from the city desktop. If you can get to it--mouse over the actual desktop, and run your mouse down past the normal stuff on the kind of desktoppy desktop stuff (manage city) to "refresh city." If you can't, build another desktop somewhere you can reach (this just sometimes happens in my experience, I have kind of a potato CPU and I have to do it in basically 100% of cities every time there's a city upgrade which is a super pain in the rear end, but once it's finished, works great). (basically you do have to just hang out in said village until the script is done a'runnin, but then you get a popup on your screen that says CITY REFRESHED so just...idk, go listen to a podcast or read a book or something while you wait)

atomicgeek fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jul 14, 2018

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

i know of the refresh city option im just kind of confused how suddenly a shack from a nearby settlement just appeared blocking a stairway in a non-settlement interior cell (entered into the middle of the shack full of junk and had to use tcl in the console to take the picture)

edit: luckily i got a save before it appeared so i guess ill just vertibird over to warwick and manually do the upgrade and see if that prevents the issue maybe some weird thing where the city upgrade auto fired while in an interior cell but put it next to me but ive had multiple settlements do that and not an issue yet)

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jul 14, 2018

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Zore posted:

Use this mod and re-enable achievements

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12465

Cheers for that!
Is Fallout 4 one of those games where you should grab the unofficial community patch? The Unofficial Fallout 4 patch seems pretty up to date and it's in the top downloads on NMM, so it seems reasonably safe, and by my previous experience with those community patches, they don't alter anything (much) in terms of content, mostly quality of life stuff and bugfixes

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol, I don't think that $ was there before!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

unless something mundane like unofficial patch adds it i think fo4 always had the $ for CC though skyrim doesnt iirc

i will say I like the CC content for various faction armor paired with the mod creation club faction overhauls which together feels like something that should have been in the base game (obv ymmv on money spent)

though the captain cosmos quest is probably the first thing that truly felt worth the money that was a decent quest of just about right amount of length for a bunch of new loot, not like the early showings that was just hey go kill or loot this person/thing for new item. also it kind of actually added some interesting lore about the whole captain cosmos show

the solar cannon quest was pretty good if short though the actual weapon was kind of just a gimmick but it does seem like fo4 creation club is slowly getting almost worthwhile new content while the skyrim one is just in the weeds

edit: like skyrim has mostly been spared of like fo4's CC worrying things like time limited whatever skins of things or 300 dog skins but theres been some decent actual quests put out meanwhile skyrim CC is like very lore friendly but also we'll put out something in like six month intervals and its mostly go find bandit and kill them for loot. hopefully trainwiz' skyrim CC will be cool

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jul 14, 2018

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Berke Negri posted:

unless something mundane like unofficial patch adds it i think fo4 always had the $ for CC though skyrim doesnt iirc

i will say I like the CC content for various faction armor paired with the mod creation club faction overhauls which together feels like something that should have been in the base game (obv ymmv on money spent)

though the captain cosmos quest is probably the first thing that truly felt worth the money that was a decent quest of just about right amount of length for a bunch of new loot, not like the early showings that was just hey go kill or loot this person/thing for new item. also it kind of actually added some interesting lore about the whole captain cosmos show

the solar cannon quest was pretty good if short though the actual weapon was kind of just a gimmick but it does seem like fo4 creation club is slowly getting almost worthwhile new content while the skyrim one is just in the weeds

edit: like skyrim has mostly been spared of like fo4's CC worrying things like time limited whatever skins of things or 300 dog skins but theres been some decent actual quests put out meanwhile skyrim CC is like very lore friendly but also we'll put out something in like six month intervals and its mostly go find bandit and kill them for loot. hopefully trainwiz' skyrim CC will be cool

Nah, I had a screenshot pre-mod to check against to be sure, but I'm not going to go through the trouble to see which mod is being snarky.

I think it's cool that content can be vetted and tested for console players and they can enjoy fan made stuff like we've always had on PC, which I think is the most important part of the CC. It's not all about me.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jul 14, 2018

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Welp, got ye-olde alt-tabbing bug where the resolution gets shot when you tab out and back, figured windowless fullscreen would help, but the max resolution in the options is locked to 2560 x 1440, ugh.

I'll give it a spin tomorrow, I feel like I recall having this exact problem in some other Bethesda game

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

That's not a mod being snarky, it's a bug probably caused by a mod. The localization files are to blame. Do you use a UI mod? The localization in those seem to need updating whenever the CC does poo poo.

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

It caused by not deleting the Translation_EN.txt that DEF_UI installs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Midnight Voyager posted:

That's not a mod being snarky, it's a bug probably caused by a mod. The localization files are to blame. Do you use a UI mod? The localization in those seem to need updating whenever the CC does poo poo.

Pretty sure it's this.

Edit: Welp.