Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Whether Dabi tries to kill Endeavor or just erase his quirk, I totally see Hawks taking the bullet for him.

Which, if that happens, will still look really bad for Endeavor since he'd be completely powerless to stop it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I wonder what the odds of the people standing up to protect Endeavor from Dabi are...

Probably not that great, but we can dream, right?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
So what was that pose Shouto was doing near the end of the chapter? It looks like a very specific form of prayer/thanks that I don't think I've seen before.

Also same page All Might going "holy poo poo did Endeavor just use my pose?" is great.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Endeavor already becoming better than All Might

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I loved how Hawks called out Endeavor for pulling an All Might and how desperately Endeavor was denying it.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Hunt11 posted:

I loved how Hawks called out Endeavor for pulling an All Might and how desperately Endeavor was denying it.

The tsundere is real

https://twitter.com/ravefirell/status/1016932106813915136

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 12, 2018

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Dr Subterfuge posted:

So what was that pose Shouto was doing near the end of the chapter? It looks like a very specific form of prayer/thanks that I don't think I've seen before.

Also same page All Might going "holy poo poo did Endeavor just use my pose?" is great.

It looks more like he's just releasing his body's tension from the relief that Endeavor survived.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Fabricated posted:

It looks more like he's just releasing his body's tension from the relief that Endeavor survived.

I see more surprise than relief but I could see it being the other way.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I really like how Endeavor said that the Nomu was just like him at one point

EDIT: also HOT drat this fight is so drat good

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
The art was absolutely incredible

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So in my opinion, Dabi is way less likely to be Endeavors kid, and way more likely to be Endeavors kid. Whichever he's certainly got some connection with him, I think the former because Why would you not drop it then, that'd be way more hype than "Oh poo poo, Dabi!" And of course the "Nice to Meet You" isn't something you'd say to your father. So that to me reads the former, but for the latter Why Dabi and not anyone else? If this is a 'Public Execution' or an attempt to delete his quirk, why would you have Dabi, who has no ability to run away convincingly, do it, and not say... Toga or Mr. Compress? It could always be a Twice Clone, but it's interesting

I'm on edge waiting for next week though.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Onmi posted:

So in my opinion, Dabi is way less likely to be Endeavors kid, and way more likely to be Endeavors kid. Whichever he's certainly got some connection with him, I think the former because Why would you not drop it then, that'd be way more hype than "Oh poo poo, Dabi!" And of course the "Nice to Meet You" isn't something you'd say to your father. So that to me reads the former, but for the latter Why Dabi and not anyone else? If this is a 'Public Execution' or an attempt to delete his quirk, why would you have Dabi, who has no ability to run away convincingly, do it, and not say... Toga or Mr. Compress? It could always be a Twice Clone, but it's interesting

With regards to the "Nice to meet you part", it could be a reference to the fact that at least one of Endeavor's kids pretty much acts like he's a stranger.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I wonder if Dabi's scars have something to do with it. We know Endeavor had no issues with discarding "failures" but maybe he did something worse with Dabi?
Man imagine Hawks reaction if that's the case.

I don't want Endeavor to just bite the dust right here and now. Because there is some awesome potential here. Shoto going after Dabi to avenge his shitbag father seems kinda boring compared to that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Onmi posted:

So in my opinion, Dabi is way less likely to be Endeavors kid, and way more likely to be Endeavors kid.

You said the same thing twice. What?

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Onmi = Twice undercover. Confirmed.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

RareAcumen posted:

They are basically saying it could go either way next week.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

RareAcumen posted:

Basically, enough happened in the chapter that both things became more likely at the same time. To the point that if the next chapter swings either which way, I would figure it made sense with minimum curiosity

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/singto_u/status/1017678830167736320

[Cringes in slow motion]
I mean, yes, it's Tumblr, but good lord

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I really, really doubt this is going full redemption arc, so I don't really understand why people can't imagine why someone might be concerned that their dad, and also a very important hero, might die, even if they hate them.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Christ, we're getting closer to the singularity where people communicate entirely in hashtags.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nah, it's just kind of a tumblr thing to put a bunch of full-on sentences in your tags apparently

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Tumblr hates it so these recent developments must be good

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Look, I'm not a big fan of Endeavor, and I don't like the looks of Shoto suddenly being "Oh no, I hope dad is okay!" but I think "I hope the author dies" is a little extreme. Then again, it's Tumblr, so I guess I should just be happy people aren't starting a convention specifically to plan Hori's murder.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Kanos posted:

Christ, we're getting closer to the singularity where people communicate entirely in hashtags.

I mean, Doctor Who had an episode where the eventual pinnacle of human communication was emojis, so...

We're circling the bowl at this point

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
I get that seeing Icyhot worry about Endeavor's well being can feel weird but there is a point where seeing you dad being slowly beaten to death on screen while you and all your friends watch it live can be an emotionally draining moment no matter how much you dislike him personally. Hailfire and family can hate Endeavor for all the poo poo he's put them through and still feel relief at not having to see him murdered live on air in the middle of the afternoon. That's a perfectly normal thing to feel.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I mean if you wanna spin it another way--Shouto is going the Vegeta route of "no one kills so and so...BUT ME!!!"

Doesn't seem likely that's the case here, but it's fun to imagine.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

I get that seeing Icyhot worry about Endeavor's well being can feel weird but there is a point where seeing you dad being slowly beaten to death on screen while you and all your friends watch it live can be an emotionally draining moment no matter how much you dislike him personally. Hailfire and family can hate Endeavor for all the poo poo he's put them through and still feel relief at not having to see him murdered live on air in the middle of the afternoon. That's a perfectly normal thing to feel.

yeah, the way that some people put it makes it sound like that the only acceptable thing for Shoto to feel is unending murderous contempt, and it's like, sometimes people are filled with more emotions than unending murderous contempt

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Tumblr also generally holds the opinion that Orochimaru is attractive and cool

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Wishing death on Horikoshi because he didn't depict Shouto as unable to feel anything toward Endeavor but contempt does at least speak to the same level of emotional complexity.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
As a person who has not been abused I think that the mangas been doing a good job at showing the weird and complicated and mostly negative feelings that Endeavors family holds for him in a way that makes me feel like I understand better the impact an abuser might have on a persons life, and makes me perhaps more empathetic to their struggle. But also I think I understand how this whole arc and series of events and Endeavor in general could make a person who has struggled with abuse throughout their life feel weird, and very uncomfortable.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Tumblr also generally holds the opinion that Orochimaru is attractive and cool

Orochimaru is a better dad than Endeavor. A much worse person overall, but a better dad!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VulkN5OLEM

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Even outside of the father-son relationship, Shoto is smart enough to understand that if New #1 Hero Endeavor gets loving murdered in public and on camera it's going to mean really bad things for everyone, including people he likes or doesn't have reasons to hate.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Due to poo poo in my life I'm more or less in the same spot as Todoroki, so his reaction hit home more than anything else in this arc

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
todoroki's not going to start waving around a giant foam finger with his dad's face on it, but even at the beginning he acknowledged the man's strength

watching him get vivisected on live tv would understandably stress him out a little

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The author saying it was hard for him to write dark stuff makes sense if you look at endeavors developments as the author backpedaling on how bad of a person he actually is.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Or maybe - just maybe - people (and therefore interesting characters) are dynamic, ever-changing, and complicated. Endeavor has had ample reason to re-evaluate the way he's been leading his life, specifically recent events surrounding All Might retiring and being thrust into the position he had been chasing in a blind rage for most of his adult life.

Nothing about the current arc of Endeavor's character is coming across as retconning his abuse or outright redemption, it all fits with what we've known about him and his family all along.

E: There's nothing off the mark about Shouto's reaction to this. It's entirely possible to hate someone and also not want to see them die on live TV (or at all). Especially given circumstances of "greater good", like in this case where literally nothing/no one else was up to the task of opposing this Noumu.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 13, 2018

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I think Shoto's reaction to this so far is fine. Any negative feelings I have concerning this arc are entirely my own baggage.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

i'm sure i've seen GotG 2, possibly even twice, and i have gently caress all memory of any of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Jose posted:

i'm sure i've seen GotG 2, possibly even twice, and i have gently caress all memory of any of it
/