Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Mraagvpeine posted:

Bit of a tangent, but I thought The Monarch was the one who blew off Underbheit's jaw (in an attempt to kill Rusty) and Rusty was wrongly accused of it.

Yeah, I was about to ask that - "Wait, his original jaw or prosthetic jaw?"

I think part of the problem could well be that they don't have enough money to have more than four or five voice actors per episode, with Hammer, Publick, Urbaniak and Warburton being must-haves.

Damnit, Urbaniak and Warburton, Pull your weight! You each voice, like, one character each and Hammer and Publick voice, like, twenty each! :argh:

(I'm kidding about that last part.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

RandallODim posted:

"Oooh, very gener- oh, this is in pesos. All these zeros are meaningless."

I always thought it weird they named that guy after Che. Its a reference without a joke. I guess they're both Hispanic doctors?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I doubt they have trouble paying for voice actors. One problem is that it's a niche show so it might get turned down. When they asked Colbert to come back to play Mr. Impossible, his agent turned it down. Colbert didn't even know about it and was upset that his agent did that. He later came back for the special.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Mantis42 posted:

I always thought it weird they named that guy after Che. Its a reference without a joke. I guess they're both Hispanic doctors?

"Che" can also just mean "Guy" "Man" or "Dude". It's not always a name

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

LashLightning posted:

Hammer and Publick voice, like, twenty each! :argh:

I have zero issues with this because I love how all of their character voices are generally pretty distinct, but you can hear bits and pieces of all the characters in their real voices on commentaries and panels.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

420 Gank Mid posted:

"Che" can also just mean "Guy" "Man" or "Dude". It's not always a name

No, the Doctor's name is Ernesto Guevara, just like Che. They even focus on the door so you have time to recognize the reference.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

LashLightning posted:

Damnit, Urbaniak and Warburton, Pull your weight! You each voice, like, one character each and Hammer and Publick voice, like, twenty each! :argh:

(I'm kidding about that last part.)

Urbaniak does a lot more than I notice. It took me forever to figure out he does Phantom Limb

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Shiela says her name at the end of Showdown at Cremation Creek Pt. 2 in the post-credit stinger and may have done it sooner. IIRC, they're both laying in bed after sex and she sits up and says "Sheila, you can do this..." deep breath "Monarch, I'm..." and then it cuts out to him yelling "WHAT?!"

So she's been positively named at least since season 2.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Consummate Professional posted:

Urbaniak does a lot more than I notice. It took me forever to figure out he does Phantom Limb

He also does Jonas Jr., David Bowie, and a bunch of one of chars in various episodes. Michael Sinterniklaas and Wharburton are the real slackers because they just do Dean and Brock pretty much exclusively. Even Steven Rattazzi does more than either of them and he's in half the episodes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Warburton has such a distinct voice, it's probably not possible for him to do other voices.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

RandallODim posted:

"Oooh, very gener- oh, this is in pesos. All these zeros are meaningless."

The show has known Rust is an rear end in a top hat from day one.

To be fair from what I remember the number we see on the check is pretty drat low, like I think it didn't even crack a hundred dollars once you convert it from pesos

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Would you just eat the freakin pennies already

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Eat the pennies quizbooooy

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Cojawfee posted:

Eat the pennies quizbooooy

one of the single greatest lines in tv history

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Pete and Billy, I was already a huge fan of both. But setting up St Cloud against them was such an amazing stroke of genius.

I fake soundcheck any mic I get to use with "Tisdale, Ashley Tisdale", for reference

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

So what, so you'll poop pennies, big deal.

In the lepidopterists they directly address the monarch using lovely words but I think that might be one of the last times they do? I haven't noticed any since then, but it seemed a kind of mea culpa for it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
hank calls some gladiators "gaylord gladiators" in season 4 lol

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

24's ghost says retard a season later.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
the characters in the venture bros are largely not good people, and the people that are are often not exactly aware that the words they're using can do harm

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Then there's the Monarch, who defends his use of the word "retard" when Ned and Jonas Jr. both call him out on it.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

tarlibone posted:

Then there's the Monarch, who defends his use of the word "retard" when Ned and Jonas Jr. both call him out on it.

Awww, the Lightning Cannon sucks!

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
I don't really care about what words they use or used at all, the show has always been extremely fuckin' good. If anything the fact they're so godamn infrequent is the worst thing Publick and Hammer have done. I don't think they're gonna use words that get people mad in 2018 but even still I'll watch it and be happy we get more of it.

Is there any confirmation of how many episodes they're doing this go round? It'd suck if they pretended five episodes is a drat season again.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
To be fair, they didn't pretend. They didn't understand their contract with Adult Swim.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Yeah I dont think the two purposely wanted to call that a season either because Lazzo is kind of an rear end, but I really hope he's giving them more to work with

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Servaetes posted:

Yeah I dont think the two purposely wanted to call that a season either because Lazzo is kind of an rear end, but I really hope he's giving them more to work with

kind of an rear end is a huge understatement when it comes to Mike Lazzo

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Toby Huss is a genius, I can’t believe he hasn’t come up yet!

ALIEN TECKNOLOGEEEEE

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Cacafuego posted:

Toby Huss is a genius, I can’t believe he hasn’t come up yet!

ALIEN TECKNOLOGEEEEE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSe91jJrm1I

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I love that they saved that and put it on the DVD.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

drrockso20 posted:

kind of an rear end is a huge understatement when it comes to Mike Lazzo

I've mentioned it in the rick and morty thread but i know he's kinda heartlessly killed off a few great shows (metalocalypse, athf, space ghost coast to coast, cartoon planet, morel orel) because they either weren't personally funny to him or they got too serious.

He did keep Squidbillies around which is arguably the best show in all of Adult Swim but hey.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Sure, Squidbillies is the best if you conveniently forget that Home Movies exists.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cojawfee posted:

Warburton has such a distinct voice, it's probably not possible for him to do other voices.

His Buzz Lightyear was great.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Servaetes posted:

I've mentioned it in the rick and morty thread but i know he's kinda heartlessly killed off a few great shows (metalocalypse, athf, space ghost coast to coast, cartoon planet, morel orel) because they either weren't personally funny to him or they got too serious.

He did keep Squidbillies around which is arguably the best show in all of Adult Swim but hey.

Morel Orel was fantastic (and got me into the mountain goats) but I can completely understand why it was cancelled. Coast to coast though...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

ATHF felt like it ended before it ran out of ideas, wasn't it 7 seasons?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

I managed to catch a bit of live adult swim last night in my hotel and caught the Halloween episode again. I totally forgot J.K. Simmons was in an episode!

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

ATHF felt like it ended before it ran out of ideas, wasn't it 7 seasons?

This is going to be a good night for you! The Adult Swim website has seasons 8-9 and part of 11 available to stream for free and if you've got a cable provider login you can watch part of season 10. Season 8 is pretty good, but 9 is almost all gold. It's a pity they don't have all of 10 and 11 but they were both good seasons, too.

Strabo4 fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jul 13, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ahh, I've seen them all, I just have a terrible memory and was confused since they changed the show title so many times.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

ATHF and metalocalypse were gone before their time, the later episodes of both were pretty good.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

I managed to catch a bit of live adult swim last night in my hotel and caught the Halloween episode again. I totally forgot J.K. Simmons was in an episode!

Huh, really? Goddamn that actually is him! It's so weird hearing him speak so softly I wouldn't have ever noticed it was him.

My big revelation that my GF pointed out was that Think Tank is voiced by Jeffrey Wright (of Westworld fame)! It's so cool how they got so many people in.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Morel Orel was fantastic (and got me into the mountain goats) but I can completely understand why it was cancelled. Coast to coast though...

Morel Orel season 3 was amazing, season 1 and 2 not so much. That's what's fascinating about it, to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Wait, ATHF = Aqua Teen Hunger Force? That show was gone before it's time?

I loved that show for a while, but my chief complaint was that it felt like they were running out of ideas after Season 3 or 4. I stopped watching around the time the movie came out, I think the episode where the little weirdos with hooks were trying to steal everyone's dick because they signed the Terms of Service creeped me out a little too much. I can't believe that A:) they ended up getting ELEVEN seasons and B:) you guys seem to think the later stuff was really good. Did they change up their creative team or something? It felt like they were kinda running it into the ground by the time I stopped watching.