Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Dawn of Sorrow is the best Castlevania.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

punk rebel ecks posted:

Aria of Sorrow is the best Castlevania.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Actually, Hollow Knight is the best Castlevania. It's also the best Metroid.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Your Computer posted:

Super Metroid? More like Super Mediocre :smugbert:

This is one heck of a post/AV combo.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

punk rebel ecks posted:

Simon's Quest is the best Castlevania.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
simons quest is an ancient meme now thanks to avgn but tried to for real play that poo poo on nes mini and it’s bullshit annoying

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
We had a strategy guide back in the day. The jumping is trash though.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DalaranJ posted:

Wow, big fan of NES Metroid, posting over here.

NES metroid kicks rear end but hollow knight is defintely better

Not better than Super, though. Almost.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Eh? So we're implying that Zero Mission is not better than Super? Because I disagree. I'd even hold that Fusion is better than Super, but that's more of a controversial opinion.

Super Metroid is great but there's a lot of jank in it. Fusion and Zero Mission take it, remove the jank, and throw in some truly devilish Shinespark puzzles. They're great. I liked them both a lot more than Super.
I usually think of jank in terms of modern open world game with lots of bugs, lots of clipping and hosed up animations, frame rate drops, dropped inputs etc. What's the jank in Super Metroid?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

There’s zero jank in Super Metroid other than the default control scheme that I figured everyone changes anyway.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Fortnite is like half a game without the battle pass. You're already running around the map most of the time anyway, but now you have little objectives while you're doing it. And unlocking things is fun.

As someone that’s played a lot of Fortnite without the pass and just got it recently, I honestly find all the new objectives to just be distracting.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

SeANMcBAY posted:

There’s zero jank in Super Metroid other than the default control scheme that I figured everyone changes anyway.

Aiming is weird and kinda awkward, losing health while shinesparking is stupid, movement feels kinda weird and floaty compared to Fusion/Zero Mission etc.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Yeah Super Metroid is lacking a certain polish that later SNES games consistently achieved. Nothing major but enough for some people to consider it "janky"

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Stan Taylor posted:

Anyone who plays fortnite have opinions if the battle pass is worth it? I don't really love the game but the metagame treasure hunt objectives seem neat and it looks like you can get enough funbucks to buy another pass if you unlock enough levels. Does it feel like a grind, and can I reasonably expect to unlock most of the stuff with casual play?

Battle Pass is totally worth it. It adds a lot of meta goals, unlockables, fun stuff, etc.

You actually also earn currency. So if you play fairly frequently, you can actually earn enough ( or drat close if you play a little less) to buy next season's battlepass...)

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Hey Switch thread, what are the best indie games that you'd recommend? I'm currently deciding between (barring any other recommendations):

- Hollow Knight
- Steamworld Dig 2
- Yoku's Island Express

The only Metroid game I ever played was Metroid Fusion, by the way. The Metroidvania genre does interest me, but I also love chill games too. I'm not that big into JRPGs or anything like that. What are your favorite indie games on the Switch and what would you recommend? Thanks everyone!

Steamworld Dig 2 is purposely supposed to be a light fun Metroidvania that isn't too hard, maybe that would be a good start then Hollow Knight.

Dear thread, you wouldn't shut the gently caress up about Hollow Knight so I finally bought it and it is pretty freaking cute and fun so far so thanks I guess

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hollow Knight is the first switch game I bought. It's great!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So did people with games on their Wii U account get transferred to their Switch?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

punk rebel ecks posted:

Dawn of Sorrow is the best Castlevania.

Its canon

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

punk rebel ecks posted:

So did people with games on their Wii U account get transferred to their Switch?

lol no

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’ve been playing Bloodborne lately, took a break to finish DOOM and realized I am in desperate need of a big open CHILL game. I considered Mario Odyssey but I chose Breath of the Wild. I played it a bit before while my girlfriend did her playthrough but this is the first time playing it on my own. I’ve got some thoughts after my first hour.

It’s kind of... boring? Don’t get me wrong I’m enjoying it but the way they toss you into the world is quite unique. If not boring maybe a better word would be aimless. There isn’t really a hook or a clear progression path. I can’t say it has sucked me yet but I’m sure it will get there. The world is absolutely beautiful and fascinating to explore, I can tell why so many people can dump a hundred hours into this. Open world action/rpg games are my absolute favorite genre so I’m looking forward to getting in the flow of how this game works. Opening the game in such a mellow way definitely isn’t the norm for the genre.

Should I/When should I grab the expansion pass?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I really don't understand the Octopath complaints. It sounds more like someone just quoting a lovely reviewer. What does their complaint about the dungeons even mean? Are they upset they aren't randomized/procedurally generated? Were they expecting Octopath to be a roguelike?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’ve been playing Bloodborne lately, took a break to finish DOOM and realized I am in desperate need of a big open CHILL game. I considered Mario Odyssey but I chose Breath of the Wild. I played it a bit before while my girlfriend did her playthrough but this is the first time playing it on my own. I’ve got some thoughts after my first hour.

It’s kind of... boring? Don’t get me wrong I’m enjoying it but the way they toss you into the world is quite unique. If not boring maybe a better word would be aimless. There isn’t really a hook or a clear progression path. I can’t say it has sucked me yet but I’m sure it will get there. The world is absolutely beautiful and fascinating to explore, I can tell why so many people can dump a hundred hours into this. Open world action/rpg games are my absolute favorite genre so I’m looking forward to getting in the flow of how this game works. Opening the game in such a mellow way definitely isn’t the norm for the genre.

Are you not talking to any NPCs? There is a pretty clear progression path.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

katkillad2 posted:

I really don't understand the Octopath complaints. It sounds more like someone just quoting a lovely reviewer. What does their complaint about the dungeons even mean? Are they upset they aren't randomized/procedurally generated?

I don't get the dungeon bit myself other than "it's repetitive" but apparently the game is just 8 separate stories and that's it. People usually expect these mini stories to culminate into a huge save the world climax which is apparently not there

I can see why thats deflating to many who wanted the next meaty epic SNES style RPG to finally drop

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Kilometers Davis posted:

If you want a big, open, CHILL game, try No Man's Sky. It's gotten massive updates since it launched which have added tons to the gameplay, and it's very CHILL and relaxing. It can get repetitive/"boring" at times, but I enjoyed it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm trying to be good so I'm going to skip Octopath for now. I need to learn to save money and I have so many games I've never beaten

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Final Fantasy 15 told 0 compelling stories so if Octopath even does 2/8, I consider it a win.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

katkillad2 posted:

I really don't understand the Octopath complaints. It sounds more like someone just quoting a lovely reviewer. What does their complaint about the dungeons even mean? Are they upset they aren't randomized/procedurally generated? Were they expecting Octopath to be a roguelike?
Video game reviews are notoriously bad and should be ignored. Watching 5 minutes of some random dope streaming it somewhere is more valuable.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

SeANMcBAY posted:

Are you not talking to any NPCs? There is a pretty clear progression path.

Oh yeah I get that I mean equipment/armor/weapons/unlocks and all that. It is clear though, I wasn’t good at explaining my point.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

If you want a big, open, CHILL game, try No Man's Sky. It's gotten massive updates since it launched which have added tons to the gameplay, and it's very CHILL and relaxing. It can get repetitive/"boring" at times, but I enjoyed it.

I’m holding out for PSVR support for maximum chill.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

^burtle posted:

Final Fantasy 15 told 0 compelling stories so if Octopath even does 2/8, I consider it a win.

Not an emptyquote

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

This makes me a boy hesitant of buying anything digital on the Switch.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

it's not like you can play physical wiiu games on the switch either

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

eonwe posted:

I'm trying to be good so I'm going to skip Octopath for now. I need to learn to save money and I have so many games I've never beaten

I powered through FF15 last week to basically earn myself the right to buy a new rpg.

And boy, I'll tell you, the only way I'm not going to enjoy Octopath more than that shitpile is if it bombards me with racial slurs minutes in or something.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why? What console has ever given you free digital games when it goes to the next gen??

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

^burtle posted:

YES

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I usually think of jank in terms of modern open world game with lots of bugs, lots of clipping and hosed up animations, frame rate drops, dropped inputs etc. What's the jank in Super Metroid?

The controls for diagonal aiming are weird and dumb.

You lose health while Shinesparking. You have to hold a button to Shinespark.

There's like 6 different things bound to the Select button, which yes you can remap but you're still left with the issue of 6 different things bound to the same button. It became a giant pain in the rear end to swap between Missiles, Super Missiles, Power Bombs, etc.

Fusion And Zero Mission just do diagonal aiming by holding down a single button and angling with the control pad.

You build momentum just by running and Shinesparking doens't train your health, wtf.

Missiles are on a toggle. Hold button down to Missile. Release to not Missiles. Missile while charged up to Super Missile. Super simple.

Fusion and Zero Mission are just better, more polished games.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Not Operator posted:

I powered through FF15 last week to basically earn myself the right to buy a new rpg.

And boy, I'll tell you, the only way I'm not going to enjoy Octopath more than that shitpile is if it bombards me with racial slurs minutes in or something.
Definitely do NOT play Tressa's path first then

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Why? What console has ever given you free digital games when it goes to the next gen??

Didn't Microsoft do that with Xbox 360 to Xbox One?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Didn't Microsoft do that with Xbox 360 to Xbox One?
The xbone has backwards compatibility, the Switch doesn't

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

PS4 had a bunch of games earlier on where if you bought them on PS3/Vita and they got PS4 versions then you got the PS4 version free.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

^burtle posted:

True but all in all, it's going to be a bit of a wet fart of there's just 8 final bosses, one for each story and no payoff to the different narratives. The payoff is always the best part of multi storied affairs, especially in rpgs

Supposedly no one has come across the "end game" content that the devs/Nintendo said is totally there, so I'm waiting to hear more. I got Ys 8 for now anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

That's the entire Xbox One Backwards Compatibility sales pitch.

They have been porting/releasing 360 games over at a steady clip and some (very few) OG Xbox games. If you own a disk or the digital version, you can just play it on the One, no new purchase needed. Given that they have done this, it seems very likely to continue for future generations of the Xbox.

• Locked thread