Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's seven more final bosses than most games!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Should I/When should I grab the expansion pass?

When the game clicks for you, if it ever does. A lot of the smaller content like the various clothing items are best to get early when they're still useful, though the real meat of the DLC is later on in the "story". I honestly don't know if it's worth $20, a lot of it is hit-or-miss and it'll really depend what you like about the game.

For the record, it probably took me an hour or so of gameplay before the game really clicked for me. I think the game really starts getting good after you finish the tutorial and choose a direction to travel. The world is massive, and the best part is going places you "shouldn't" go to yet, or just going a random direction and following whatever seems interesting. That's really where the game excels.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I was at least expecting more discounts for VC games on Switch if I owned them already on 3DS/Wii U but I didn’t expect they’d just kill VC all together.:lol:

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Kilometers Davis posted:

I chose Breath of the Wild. I played it a bit before while my girlfriend did her playthrough but this is the first time playing it on my own. I’ve got some thoughts after my first hour.

It’s kind of... boring? Don’t get me wrong I’m enjoying it but the way they toss you into the world is quite unique. If not boring maybe a better word would be aimless.

I ended up putting down BoTW for three reasons though I plan to come back to it.

1. I hate the way you need to pull things out of your inventory constantly which pauses the game, which takes you out of the flow of action. It really hurts the feeling (and the tension) when you can just pause at any time and restore all your health, and it sucks to have to deal with the janky inventory management as a side effect of the (cool and interesting) weapon breaking systems.

2. I did the thing that I do to myself with open world games which is I put off the stuff that seems fun in order to do 'chores' in the game like climbing towers to set myself up for the fun later. This is a bad habit with me and tends to result in that boring/aimless feeling. "Of course, idiot, you keep riding past the interesting stuff thinking you'll come back later."

3. I bought my Switch & BoTW the day Hollow Knight came out.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

That's seven more final bosses than most games!

For what it's worth most reviewers seemed to really enjoy the moment to moment gameplay so I'm sure it'll be a solid game either way

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Well I preordered Octopath off Amazon as I get a 25% discount, and it comes out on my day off!

..... So of course it has a delivery date of the 17th. What.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My son is of the opinion that it isn't a final boss unless it has a second form.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
He's not wrong

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

KingSlime posted:

I don't get the dungeon bit myself other than "it's repetitive" but apparently the game is just 8 separate stories and that's it. People usually expect these mini stories to culminate into a huge save the world climax which is apparently not there

I can see why thats deflating to many who wanted the next meaty epic SNES style RPG to finally drop

yeah, if only the devs had made it clear that-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2lwxuOk2FY&t=29s

as I was saying, it would be nice if the devs were clear about there-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0nm7gXX0Vs&t=3s

listen I'm just saying that they could have been more direct about the game having-

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/octopath-traveler-switch posted:

Choose your fate. Eight stories await.

Eight travelers. Eight adventures. Eight roles to play in a new world brought to life by Square Enix. And now, you can enjoy all of them in the new demo. Step into the shoes and live the stories of each of the eight travelers and freely explore the world of Orsterra.

• Choose from eight characters, each with their own distinct story

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Sure but every rpg that does multiple stories always has some sort of cap-off final chapter. You've played other similar rpgs yes?

Including those from which Octo is clearly inspired/has its roots in?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This will actually be my first video game, in looking forward to it. Hope there aren't too many buttons

Mega64
May 23, 2008

This will actually be my first video game, in looking forward to it. Hope there aren't too many buttons

There are eight buttons, one for each path.

Hope you press the right one!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

doingitwrong posted:

That's the entire Xbox One Backwards Compatibility sales pitch.

They have been porting/releasing 360 games over at a steady clip and some (very few) OG Xbox games. If you own a disk or the digital version, you can just play it on the One, no new purchase needed. Given that they have done this, it seems very likely to continue for future generations of the Xbox.

That's their new model. You buy a console and you can play new games that come out on the next 1 or 2 consoles on your current one. Your new console can play games for previous consoles.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Falcon posted:

The controls for diagonal aiming are weird and dumb.

You lose health while Shinesparking. You have to hold a button to Shinespark.

There's like 6 different things bound to the Select button, which yes you can remap but you're still left with the issue of 6 different things bound to the same button. It became a giant pain in the rear end to swap between Missiles, Super Missiles, Power Bombs, etc.

Fusion And Zero Mission just do diagonal aiming by holding down a single button and angling with the control pad.

You build momentum just by running and Shinesparking doens't train your health, wtf.

Missiles are on a toggle. Hold button down to Missile. Release to not Missiles. Missile while charged up to Super Missile. Super simple.

Fusion and Zero Mission are just better, more polished games.

eh

honestly I can see how one might prefer the other stuff, but none of that seems bad at all to me. Probably because I'm :corsair: or whatever

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mega64 posted:

There are eight buttons, one for each path.

Hope you press the right one!

which one's Tressa

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

KingSlime posted:

Sure but every rpg that does multiple stories always has some sort of cap-off final chapter. You've played other similar rpgs yes?

Not every rpg. Unless you count the debug room from Saga Frontier as a final chapter

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

KingSlime posted:

Octopath Traveler's 8 character gimmick is directly lifted from SaGa, and the games that use that gimmick have them treated in similar fashion (excluding games like RomSaGa 2, Frontier 2). Multiple protagonists with their own quest lines that run independently from one another, and the games had varying levels of intersection (i.e. SaGa Frontier and SaGa Scarlet Grace having dedicated stories per character, Romancing SaGa 1 with a single major over-arcing plot intertwined with individual character stories).

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Your Computer posted:

which one's Tressa

+

e: or the little house maybe??

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Leal posted:

Well I preordered Octopath off Amazon as I get a 25% discount, and it comes out on my day off!

..... So of course it has a delivery date of the 17th. What.

This happens literally every time a big game comes out w/r/t Amazon. They simply suck with Nintendo stuff for ...some odd reasons. And yet people will go sure order from amazon it will be fine :lol:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I held down the house button but now there is a bunch of volume and brightness controls on my screen how do I turn this off

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

LethalGeek posted:

This happens literally every time a big game comes out w/r/t Amazon. They simply suck with Nintendo stuff for ...some odd reasons. And yet people will go sure order from amazon it will be fine :lol:
If you order from them while they're advertising release date delivery its usually okay, recently though they stop offering that a couple days before release, so you have to get in early.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

LethalGeek posted:

"waah my Amazon package isn't here" posts should be probatable offenses

Literally nobody cares

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I held down the house button but now there is a bunch of volume and brightness controls on my screen how do I turn this off

Those are the paths you need to take.

Good luck on your adventures!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

which one's Tressa
wait nvm I found it

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I never played the original Treasure Tracker...its super tempting for me to get tomorrow. I heard its really great

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I'll get Captain Todd from one of you guys in a few months for $25.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
A friend of mine asked me if I wanted Todd or DK for my birthday

I went with DK, hope I didn't gently caress this one up. Also DK will be my second physical game other than Zelda. Digital is just too good

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tomorrow is going to set a record for diorama style games released in one day.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Try the button to the left of volume down on top of your console. Might need to hold it down. This one:

Your Computer posted:

wait nvm I found it

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Manky posted:

Try the button to the left of volume down on top of your console. Might need to hold it down. This one:

drat I'm using an 8bitdo

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

switch journey continues - i completed mario, not usually a collectiblehead but looking forward to finding the secret challenge rooms etc, only fully started looking in corners about halfway through. good as hell.

also i started hollow knight like every other mother fucker in this thread. i was never really fully able to get into sidescrollers or soulslike stuff, so it was kind of a surprise when i looked up and it was 3 hours later and my hands were clammy. good as hell. also beautiful. and like £10! gently caress

would like to play zelda at some point if i find it for a dece price on ebay

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 12, 2018

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

eonwe posted:

I never played the original Treasure Tracker...its super tempting for me to get tomorrow. I heard its really great

It was a super great chill game, just enough thinking to not completely zone out, not so much as to be frustrating

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Hey Switch thread, what are the best indie games that you'd recommend? I'm currently deciding between (barring any other recommendations):

- Hollow Knight
- Steamworld Dig 2
- Yoku's Island Express

The only Metroid game I ever played was Metroid Fusion, by the way. The Metroidvania genre does interest me, but I also love chill games too. I'm not that big into JRPGs or anything like that. What are your favorite indie games on the Switch and what would you recommend? Thanks everyone!

Thumper and binding of Isaac

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

LethalGeek posted:

I got FEW and Aces just fine. Like even if they weren't gonna have it in day of release, thats not even the prime shipping speed.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

Seems pretty low. It's only announced for Playstation and it's going to work with PSVR. No clue if Sony has made an exclusivity agreement, but I wouldn't be surprised with no other platforms announced. Which is a bummer because when I think of "Tetris" the last thing i probably thing of (platform-wise) is "Sony."

I'd say timed-exclusive, I'd think the Tetris Company is particularly sensitive to bad deals after what happened with Nintendo in the 90s. I would be surprised if they could get it running on the Switch though

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I want people to stop saying wet fart. it's disgusting

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

KingSlime posted:

Yeah Super Metroid is lacking a certain polish that later SNES games consistently achieved. Nothing major but enough for some people to consider it "janky"

If Nintendo keeps the pattern, super Metroid should be the next one they remake!

(in like 10 years).

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fired up skies of arcadia on dolphin. Its pretty cool. Battle system similar to octopath with storing stocks to burn on big attacks. Ahead of its time. Yep.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Real hurthling! posted:

Fired up skies of arcadia on dolphin. Its pretty cool. Battle system similar to octopath with storing stocks to burn on big attacks. Ahead of its time. Yep.

God, I loved that game and I'd love a remaster *wink* and sequel *wink* on this Nintendo Switch *wink wink*

e: Last time I tried to play it on Dolphin though, the fog/cloud effects made everything grind to a screaming halt. Is that fixed or better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Leal posted:

I got FEW and Aces just fine. Like even if they weren't gonna have it in day of release, thats not even the prime shipping speed.

Just complain, get your free month of prime, and move on.

• Locked thread