Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Guy Goodbody posted:

maybe it's gonna be about The Last Jedi

this would be like a human centipede of references and analogies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Guy Goodbody posted:

maybe it's gonna be about The Last Jedi

*Extremely Dan Carlin voice* Porg.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Napoleon would be dope af but I feel like that would have to be a 10-parter like Blueprint for Armageddon was. I'd love a one-off that expanded on his Radical Thoughts episode because the American Labor struggle from like 1870-1940 is interesting as hell and underserved generally.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Napoleon would be dope af but I feel like that would have to be a 10-parter like Blueprint for Armageddon was. I'd love a one-off that expanded on his Radical Thoughts episode because the American Labor struggle from like 1870-1940 is interesting as hell and underserved generally.

Do you know about Inward Empire?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Yeah, Inward Empire is scratching that itch but I wouldn't mind seeing Carlin's tale on it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Any goon favorite astronomy podcasts?

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013
I just finished Romance of the Three Kingdoms podcast. I listened to it every morning and evening when applying/washing makeup or brushing my teeth. For almost 2 years.

I never guessed it would feel this sad to finish a podcast. I'll probably need a mourning period before starting a new one.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

buglord posted:

i used to listen to astronomycast every week, but dropped it after the change in focus to being a 'live' show with minimal editing
there's still a huge archive of topics in the more edited/professional style though, and the co-hosts are really great. i just don't care for where they went with the presentation

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

AriadneThread posted:

but dropped it after the change in focus to being a 'live' show with minimal editing

Yeah I just checked those guys out and was turned off by that too. I basically use podcasts as poor mans audiobooks, although podcasts have the benefit of having a co-host/guest speaker which moves the discussion along or asks questions the audience is probably asking.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Just finished Bolelli's Conquest of Mexico series, really enjoyed it. Just in time for his 47 Ronin episode, too!

buglord posted:

I don't know how well it's thought of by people other than me, but I really enjoy Ask a Spaceman, which are 30-40 minute episodes (and the occasional multi-parter) inspired by space things people ask on the host's social media accounts. It's a bit of everything subject-wise and I think it's worth checking out.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Walton Simons posted:

Just finished Bolelli's Conquest of Mexico series, really enjoyed it. Just in time for his 47 Ronin episode, too!

I don't know how well it's thought of by people other than me, but I really enjoy Ask a Spaceman, which are 30-40 minute episodes (and the occasional multi-parter) inspired by space things people ask on the host's social media accounts. It's a bit of everything subject-wise and I think it's worth checking out.

Yeah this is a good hit so far. Usually I like my stuff a little drier and technical, but I know dick about astronomy so this is a nice intro. Thanks!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I've been going through some older Hardcore History that I'd skipped before, and am really enjoying them.

Radical Thoughts (mentioned above) was fantastic. I had no idea anarchists played such a big role in that time period, even if they were mostly as a foe to demonize to justify draconian laws.

Tonight I just finished Globalization Unto Death. I thought it would be about colonialism, but instead it was basically a few anecdotes from the age of exploration, focusing heavily on Magellan. Great stuff. And a concise show at that! He could have gone on for ages here but he really wrapped it up nicely.

I'm about to start Apache Tears now. I have high hopes.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Just stumbled over https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilles_de_Rais , never heard about him. That sounds like crazy podcast material, not sure who to forward it to, maybe ask Carlin? Or there's probably some "history of crime" podcast out there.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

It's hard to tell a story about Gilles de Rais' crimes, because of the massive conflict of interest in the trial. The Duke of Brittany was the judge during the trial. And conveniently, the Duke of Brittany got all of Gilles de Rais’ former lands after the trial. Since all the records about his crimes come from the witness testimony during the trial, the story of Gilles de Rais is either really horrifying, or really bullshit. The actual truth about Gilles de Rais is still a topic of debate.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 5, 2018

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Anyone else here followed The Gateway? I was quite frustrated listening to it week to week but that last episode really creeped me out: Before I had thought Swan to be some media savvy huckster comparable to pre-decline L. Ron Hubbard but that speech she gave at the end made me think she is a flat out dangerous sociopath

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 5, 2018

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Chazani posted:

I never guessed it would feel this sad to finish a podcast. I'll probably need a mourning period before starting a new one.

You're putting that acoustic guitar piece Mike Duncan found in some free media library and used for History of Rome right into my brain.

Speaking of which, I just finished his series on the failed revolutions of 1848. Gonna be honest, I couldn't keep the narrative straight and it just kind of slid past me, but I listened to outro summary twice to catch up and I'm enjoying the next series, about the fall of the second French empire and the Paris commune.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Jack B Nimble posted:

You're putting that acoustic guitar piece Mike Duncan found in some free media library and used for History of Rome right into my brain.

Speaking of which, I just finished his series on the failed revolutions of 1848. Gonna be honest, I couldn't keep the narrative straight and it just kind of slid past me, but I listened to outro summary twice to catch up and I'm enjoying the next series, about the fall of the second French empire and the Paris commune.

Mike Duncan did an amazing job at the Sisyphean task of organizing the multiple narrative threads of 1848 but it is still a huge story that isnt easily wrestled into a few bitesized chunks. If you want more background to help the episodes track I'd highly recommend Marx's 'Class Struggles in France' or the Manifesto itself.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I think I will, thanks!

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

The 18th Brumaire of Louis Napoleon is also a good (and very, very bitter) summary of the lesser Bonaparte's rise to power, and gives us one of Marx's more famous quotes. "Hegel remarks somewhere that all great world-historic facts and personages appear, so to speak, twice. He forgot to add: the first time as tragedy, the second time as farce."

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've tried to listen to three or four parcast podcasts, and holy poo poo they are all terrible. What the hell is going on at parcast? All their hosts sound like they're up to their eyeballs on ketamine. They have little bits of scripted banter, but the hosts sound like they've literally never felt an emotion so it just makes the whole thing feel like an episode of the Twilight Zone.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

I've tried to listen to three or four parcast podcasts, and holy poo poo they are all terrible. What the hell is going on at parcast? All their hosts sound like they're up to their eyeballs on ketamine. They have little bits of scripted banter, but the hosts sound like they've literally never felt an emotion so it just makes the whole thing feel like an episode of the Twilight Zone.

I feel like Parcast is really, really trying to do the Professional Radio Sound but went way off the “boring, over-scripted, over-produced” end because they don’t actually know what good audio content sounds like.

Podcasts are always way better if you have hosts who are passionate about the thing, even if they're not great at the technical aspects of podcasting.

E: Also they have SO MUCH advertising. My "skip forward" button got more use on one episode of a Parcast show than on like 6 others combined.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

:same: It feels like you're listening to some 90s infomercial. The content in Gone is actually kind of interesting but their delivery is so loving dull that I cannot make it through a full episode.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

I was looking for a podcast on cybersecurity that's a bit on the "light-hearted banter"-side, and Paul's Security Weekly seems to do the trick. It's basically a couple of guys working in Infosec, sitting down and talking about articles they read.

https://www.youtube.com/feeds/videos.xml?playlist_id=PLlPkFwQHxYE4atQRxwAsTux2PmOuWGgAA

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

mike12345 posted:

I was looking for a podcast on cybersecurity that's a bit on the "light-hearted banter"-side, and Paul's Security Weekly seems to do the trick. It's basically a couple of guys working in Infosec, sitting down and talking about articles they read.

https://www.youtube.com/feeds/videos.xml?playlist_id=PLlPkFwQHxYE4atQRxwAsTux2PmOuWGgAA

based on what you’re looking for, you should also check out the defensive security podcast

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

Are there any podcasts on Jonestown or other famous cults that aren't batshit crazy? I was really enjoying "Transmissions from Jonestown" until it took a hard right into "Abd that's why Jim Jones was actually part of the mkultra program, and was brainwashed to murder people to discredit the left!"
Having a similar issue with "The Robert Kennedy Tapes. I was expecting better out of the Crimetown folks.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Casefile did a good series that was grounded.

I also liked the Last Podcast On The Left Jonestown series - it was well researched - but I understand many people don’t want humour or take to their brand of humour. Henry does the mkultra stuff on a lot of topics, but he didn’t on this. Their Aum Shinrikio series was very good too, but similar caveats.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I'd say the Last Podcast on the Left stuff on cults is pretty solid, even if you're not a fan of their other series. I think cults freak Henry out a little so he's usually more serious. He was a bit goofy (and still doing a little bit of his Asian accent) during the start of Aum Shinrikyo but calms down quick once poo poo starts getting real.

They tend to have a neat perspective, because they try to focus on the "fun" early days of the cult to help you understand how people get pulled into it in the first place. It paints a nice complete picture.

I hate to mention one that I haven't listened to yet, but this exists: https://www.parcast.com/cults/

I keep meaning to try them out, but I found them when someone complained about how boring the network was, so not exactly a strong recommend.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

mrfreeze posted:

Are there any podcasts on Jonestown or other famous cults that aren't batshit crazy? I was really enjoying "Transmissions from Jonestown" until it took a hard right into "Abd that's why Jim Jones was actually part of the mkultra program, and was brainwashed to murder people to discredit the left!"
Having a similar issue with "The Robert Kennedy Tapes. I was expecting better out of the Crimetown folks.

Heaven's Gate by Glynn Washington.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I'd say the Last Podcast on the Left stuff on cults is pretty solid, even if you're not a fan of their other series. I think cults freak Henry out a little so he's usually more serious. He was a bit goofy (and still doing a little bit of his Asian accent) during the start of Aum Shinrikyo but calms down quick once poo poo starts getting real.

They tend to have a neat perspective, because they try to focus on the "fun" early days of the cult to help you understand how people get pulled into it in the first place. It paints a nice complete picture.

I also would recommend LPOTL. They did a fantastic 5 part series on Jonestown. They also covered Aum Shinrikyo as mentioned above, Children of God, Manson (my personal favorite), and Sciencetology (focusing most on Hubbard).

They also did shorter episodes on Heaven's Gate, Waco and NXIVM.

Their style is not for everyone. It's not a 100% serious podcast that just runs through facts in list order. They try to tell a story, make jokes, and really point out how stupid/hosed up people are. For example, in their Manson trilogy they remind and stress it enough to Manson was an idiot criminal who just loved dune buggies and didn't have any 'power' to turn people.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

mrfreeze posted:

I assume you've heard Oh No Ross and Carrie? They're more investigative than historical, but it's a lot of fun.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Although quick warning that LPoTL's Waco series leans into aforementioned batshit crazy territory. At the time they bought heavily into some conspiracy theories, that as of their Oklahoma Bombing series they no longer believe.

Oh No Ross and Carrie is great for glimpses into some modern cults. There's a great series where they joined Scientology for a while, and they also joined up with the Raelians and the Aetherians.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So back in May I mentioned looking for Zoology podcasts. I didn't want anything too scientific but with enough interest to the general observer. I went through a bunch of shows, most now defunct but I did find two that were great, one that's pretty good, and a fourth that was terrific but only last five episodes.

I'd written about Bad Zoology and the production values never improved. 19 episodes of the same stuff. While mildly interesting the banter is not terrific, and the hosts really seem to be just reading off of the wikipedia page.

I want to plug The Wild Episode again. It really is a great show. Production values are high, the narrator finds cool stories about animals from insects, to fish, and beyond, and researches them well. He's been good at adding content, with something like 8-9 episodes now, and while he's slowed down for the summer (it was twice per month prior) there's promise for it to continue. The more people that start listening to it the better. You don't need to be obsessed with zoology to find it interesting, the stories are just really well told. Episodes are 20-30 minutes long so it's really easy to check out if it's even marginally to your liking.

Drunk Zoology is the other one I've really gotten into. The hosts are not scientists and in fact I've heard them spout some pretty inaccurate stuff on a rare occasion, but they're pretty drat likable. The main host is a children's book author and she seems to get guests who're in that same domain or who live in the bay area, so if that type of feminist woke progressive hipster gets on your nerves you won't enjoy the show, but since I agree with them on pretty much everything it's fine. What I most enjoy is while the facts seem to be taken from pretty low-key articles or even wikipedia, the delivery is very natural and organic and the conversations can get pretty funny. Funnier than I was looking for when looking for animal podcasts, but that's fine. It's on-going and they're good about putting up content. There's a healthy back-log that I'm just about finishing up so you've got a lot of content to sift through here. I can't think of any one good starting point but all episodes are of the same quality.

Zoological Radio seems to come straight out of the the Santa Barbara zoo and I think it's actually a radio program that's re-released as a podcast. By far the most scientific of the three it's had some really interesting episodes on conservation and protection as well as general zoology. They had a weird habit of putting on improvisational shows based around an animal that were more miss than hit, but recently the shows gone from a long format to 4 minutes snippets of longer interviews, that invite them to check out the full interview online, which kinda sucks. The backlog is lengthy however and really interesting. I'm hoping the 4 minute format isn't permanent but we'll see.

That's Wild ended a year ago, and while they only got 5 episodes out, I thought it was terrific. The two hosts had good chemistry, and their banter was super nerdy though funny, but more importantly one was a legit scientist (doctoral student) and she'd bring in some real insight into their discussions. The other host, an artist, would research folklore and the cultural significance about the animal, which I thought was both really cool and a different take from nearly everyone else. The shows are about 90 minutes long so you get a nice amount of content despite the show petering out. I doubt it'll ever come back but that'd be great if it did.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Has the Revolutions series on the Commune finished? I'd love to binge it and being on summer vacation means I can walk around the city and see what he's talking about.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
Yup. It's finished and he's on the six week break to work on the Mexican Revolution and the book on Lafayette.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

GoingPostal posted:

Yup. It's finished and he's on the six week break to work on the Mexican Revolution and the book on Lafayette.

And move to Paris!

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Although quick warning that LPoTL's Waco series leans into aforementioned batshit crazy territory. At the time they bought heavily into some conspiracy theories, that as of their Oklahoma Bombing series they no longer believe.

Oh No Ross and Carrie is great for glimpses into some modern cults. There's a great series where they joined Scientology for a while, and they also joined up with the Raelians and the Aetherians.

The Scientology series is fun because it keeps going after it ends. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing in that cult, so even though they were caught, they keep getting invited to events that they get thrown out of when they show up.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Goon Danton posted:

The Scientology series is fun because it keeps going after it ends. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing in that cult, so even though they were caught, they keep getting invited to events that they get thrown out of when they show up.

that's a lol

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Ugh, I listened to the first episode of Martyrmade and really enjoyed it, seemed well done and he has a pleasant speaking style and is well written. So I went to find out more about Darryl Cooper and apparently he is a hardcore conservative at least and possible alt-right? Details seem slim, but has anyone finished off more of the series and did you find that impacting his judgement or bias?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Trig Discipline posted:

I assume you've heard Oh No Ross and Carrie? They're more investigative than historical, but it's a lot of fun.

The problem with Oh No Ross and Carrie imo is that a lot of times it's just like, "we went to a thing in a conference room where somebody tried to sell us crystals" but like, it's an hour detailing that experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eltoasto posted:

Ugh, I listened to the first episode of Martyrmade and really enjoyed it, seemed well done and he has a pleasant speaking style and is well written. So I went to find out more about Darryl Cooper and apparently he is a hardcore conservative at least and possible alt-right? Details seem slim, but has anyone finished off more of the series and did you find that impacting his judgement or bias?

I listened to his whole Israel series and would not have guessed that at all. He empathized with the Zionists but also didn't shy away from the fact that they were the bad guys.

The real problem was that he went full Dan Carlin really quick and by the last episode it seemed like he was doing one minute of content for every four minutes of run time.