Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

RandomFerret posted:

Hakchi2 main build now has all the features from the other forks, just go with that. Automatically does everything you need. https://github.com/ClusterM/hakchi2/releases

Only problem is it will brick your new NES Classic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

Probably GameStop or online. Nintendo themselves sell refurbished ones but they’re out at the moment. They’ll probably have a few more later.

People have already reported that they sent their switch in for repairs and got one back with a changed SoC that has an ipatch applied for the hardware exploit. So be careful with refurbished ones.

That ipatch on older hardware is most likely what's hitting stores right about now, since the new chip model T214 (codename Mariko) that has the vulnerability fixed and all-around improved security isn't actually used in any switch models yet. They just applied a patch to all newly manufactured T210 models as soon as they got wind of the vulnerability, so, a couple months ago. Said patched models from a few months ago are just starting to actually get sold.

So yea, if you're interested in homebrew in the future or even just want a convenient Emulation Tablet via linux with built-in controllers, you should probably get one now, even if you don't intend to do much with it yet.

The moderately good news is that even those ipatched units entering the market now are old enough to still have firmware 4.1.0, which is still software exploitable via as-of-yet unreleased exploit. So even if you get an early version of those with the hardware exploit fixed, you can get CFW as long as you don't update.
There's no telling how long it'll take for hardware-fixed models with current (5+) firmware to surface though.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I was talking about refurbished Wii Us.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
My bad, was too focused on the console pertaining to my own interests rn.

Still, it's probably good to know that Ninty isn't above just replacing your switch processor to keep you from hacking their stuff.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

HenryEx posted:

My bad, was too focused on the console pertaining to my own interests rn.

Still, it's probably good to know that Ninty isn't above just replacing your switch processor to keep you from hacking their stuff.

Its also because Nvidia won't make or sell processors with the exploit in it anymore

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Ohtsam posted:

Its also because Nvidia won't make or sell processors with the exploit in it anymore

Yeah, if they have to replace anything, they are going to replace it with a new equivalent, not the exact same part.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Wii Us are going to be the most valuable Nintendo system at some point in the near future.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Spacebump posted:

Wii Us are going to be the most valuable Nintendo system at some point in the near future.

Yeah, I think so too. I’m shocked how quickly they disappeared from retailers. I feel like they were mostly gone even before the Switch came out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yeah, I think so too. I’m shocked how quickly they disappeared from retailers. I feel like they were mostly gone even before the Switch came out.

Even when the Switch was announced, I considered buying a Wii U and there were none to be had.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bum the Sad posted:

Only problem is it will brick your new NES Classic

Really? Yikes

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009

HenryEx posted:

The moderately good news is that even those ipatched units entering the market now are old enough to still have firmware 4.1.0, which is still software exploitable via as-of-yet unreleased exploit. So even if you get an early version of those with the hardware exploit fixed, you can get CFW as long as you don't update.
There's no telling how long it'll take for hardware-fixed models with current (5+) firmware to surface though.

Dang! I recently got a 4.1 Switch but thought that was past the gamecard flash so may as well update and buy Hollow Knight.

Guess I'll buy all the indies I want now and then turn off updates hoping for a 5.0 exploit at some point.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Yeah there’s a new fork call Hakchi 2 CE that’s compatible with the new ones. I flashed two with it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNESmods/comments/8tp8wi/warning_do_not_use_hakchi_230_use_hakchi_ce12x/

https://hakchiresources.com/2018/06/20/hakchi2-ce-community-edition-v1-2-5/

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So I have a powered external ssd enclosure and a 120GB SSD, I know the Wii U won’t really benefit from that over usb but theoretically it should still work, right?

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
Yeah, that should work. The Wii U is limited to USB 2.0 speeds though, so the SSD is sort of a waste.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Considering it’s just taking up shelf space now, might as well. Good to know!

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
There was a new exploit the Reswitched team were holding on to to use when the new Switch revisions were released but the original discoverer of the Fusee Gelee exploit (the one everyone uses now) stole it and submitted it to Nintendo's bounty program so there goes that

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'd gently caress over a bunch of script kiddies for a cool 100k.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
https://i.4cdn.org/vg/src/1530654137669.webm

Only good thing is there's no reason to hold on to it now, and it's coldboot

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

American McGay posted:

Yeah that’s do me a lot of good tbqh

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

American McGay posted:

lol for real.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah, the second I got into that discord and learned of that. I'd turn it straight into Nintendo. Who gives a poo poo about "homebrew" when that money can buy me whatever console I want to emulate or any of the games that come out on Switch.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
just gonna put it out there that kate temkin claims she didn't submit any bugs to nintendo

https://twitter.com/ktemkin/status/1017606037690433536

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
She said she was discussing why NVIDIA's security is bad with them and used the exploit as an example, and they hadn't even heard of it yet

Edit: was discussing with Google about security for the Pixel C and they told NVIDIA who told Nintendo

Nonviolent J fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jul 13, 2018

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
lol @ getting ousted by your community and NOT cashing in on the bounty in the process.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

And it all comes tumbling down.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I'd think that even if she didn't send it to a bug bounty, she shouldn't still stay in a community like that because more will just be posted anyways.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The drama's even better than the homebrew!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Well now I'm certainly glad I just bought sx os instead of waiting

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mega64 posted:

The drama's even better than the homebrew!

It's really homebrewed drama; not anything that'll get a huge amount of attention, but a big deal for those who follow it.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
So Kates gone and 2 members quit

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I don’t know how many devs they have but that’s not a good sign for development.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Nonviolent J posted:

She said she was discussing why NVIDIA's security is bad with them and used the exploit as an example, and they hadn't even heard of it yet
It's something like that.

Kate is a professional. She's a hardware security consultant as her day job. Her work on the Tegra X1 bootrom exploit is probably the most well known, but her work is vendor agnostic. I totally believe that there was another Tegra vulnerability that SciresM/ReSwitched may have discovered and hinted about within their group and whether she probed it further on her own, or SciresM gave her exploit code, who knows, but somehow she learned of it.

It's also easily the case that a company like Google hired her to consult on prototype Tegra Chromebook hardware or something--because Google builds those kinds of devices and need to ensure the underlying platform is secure--and as a consultant she raised a known vulnerability with them. It's not even a bug bounty thing. As a consultant, she has an ethical obligation to inform her clients of known vulnerabilities regardless of how she learns of them.

The fundamental issue with homebrew hackers is that, while they present themselves as white-hats and don't promote piracy, they have an incentive to keep vulnerabilities secret, whereas security researchers have an ethical obligation for responsible disclosure. Those two things are simply at odds with each other.

If ReSwitched wants to stop working with Kate because they can't trust her with secrets, then they may very well have to part ways. Unfortunately I'm sure she's now the subject of GBAtemp's wrath and vitriol which is really undeserved.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Yeah if there was an aspect to her professional life that necessitated the disclosure of a vulnerability, it is what it is and she did the right thing. I think all these exploits are cool and neat but I really think most folks are just mad because it’s harder for pirate games. Homebrew is a nice idea but we can all be real that it’s mostly about piracy.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

KKKLIP ART posted:

Yeah if there was an aspect to her professional life that necessitated the disclosure of a vulnerability, it is what it is and she did the right thing. I think all these exploits are cool and neat but I really think most folks are just mad because it’s harder for pirate games. Homebrew is a nice idea but we can all be real that it’s mostly about piracy.
It's probably the case that SciresM was going to withhold the exploit until the Switch was EoL or as long as possible, so that they could get homebrew on all released models once it was EoL. This is analogous to the 3DS B9S exploit. And if the vulnerability only affected the Switch then security people probably wouldn't give two shits about doing that.

The problem is if you're going to sit on a vulnerability for 5+ years that also affects unrelated products, that's an issue.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's definitely going to start being an issue. As devices use more mainstream components, there's going to be more scrutiny into how secure everything is. It's going to be harder to exploit than a chip that's only in this one Nintendo device.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

That's definitely going to start being an issue. As devices use more mainstream components, there's going to be more scrutiny into how secure everything is. It's going to be harder to exploit than a chip that's only in this one Nintendo device.

Yeah this is what I see happening too. Shared components are going to be more and more common so a problem with one becomes much bigger as far as sitting on exploits.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That guy just sent the absolute worst of the internet after this poor woman that is disgusting.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

So apparently there have been major improvements to nds-bootstrap (DS games on 3DS via SD card) lately and a lot of games can run at full cart speed and they've been nailing out save (apparently WarioWare DIY is the only game that can't save, other than that no "donor carts" needed) and sound issues? Games less than 24 MB can just be loaded into RAM for even faster speeds and no sound issues? I was hoping for a breakthrough in this department and I think they're doing it, holy poo poo

https://github.com/ahezard/nds-bootstrap/releases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Color Printer posted:

So apparently there have been major improvements to nds-bootstrap (DS games on 3DS via SD card) lately and a lot of games can run at full cart speed and they've been nailing out save (apparently WarioWare DIY is the only game that can't save, other than that no "donor carts" needed) and sound issues? Games less than 24 MB can just be loaded into RAM for even faster speeds and no sound issues? I was hoping for a breakthrough in this department and I think they're doing it, holy poo poo

https://github.com/ahezard/nds-bootstrap/releases

cool