Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
The one thing I do like about the low scoring is it really emphasizes that any team can win. A lot of matches even one lucky goal is enough to win

The idea of a making the field smaller in OT gave me this hilarious image of continually shrinking the field every few minutes until both teams are playing in a 30'x10' area kicking the poo poo out of each other like children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I'm not sure why it took until this World Cup and Neymar's antics for the entire world to acknowledge this is a huge problem. A friend tried to get me into the 2010 World Cup and it looked like they were LARPing a WW2 battle because 2-4 people would throw themselves to the ground like an artillery strike landed and then lay there screaming until they figured out which person the Referee believed the most and was actually going to pay attention to so the rest could bravely pretend they were shaking their non-existant injuries off and be completely fine 2 minutes later unless they had another opportunity to pitch themselves into the dirt.

I was used to American sports so I didn't understand what was going on until I realized there is no clock stoppage and people figured out you get infinite and instant time-outs by diving. Momentum against you? Dive! Leading near the end? Dive! Their best player inhaled the same oxygen as you? Dive and get him penalized!

I think the entire last 15 minutes of one game was doctors carrying a steady stream of players off of the field because the team that was up 1-0 was coincidentally suffering a huge amount of devastating and time wasting injuries and they won because everytime the other team got posession one of their player's skeletons spontaneously detonated. This suckass crybaby poo poo is a core fundamental tactic in the sport that has been prevalent for a long time so its weird that soccer fans claim its just a problem that needs fixed when the entire sport is based around it. You may as well award points for the best acting and most strategic dives at this point.

they could fix the problem with dives by explicitly allowing tackling

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Another good thing about Gaelic football is that if you dive, 10-30 Irishmen are about to run roughshod over your supine corpse anyway so if you weren’t injured before you sure will be now

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Mods are asleep, post hot takes about soccer.

It's boring to watch, its governing body is hilarious corrupt, and diving is some absolute horseshit. gently caress soccer.

Just watch ice hockey instead.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

ChesterJT posted:

The idea of a making the field smaller in OT gave me this hilarious image of continually shrinking the field every few minutes until both teams are playing in a 30'x10' area kicking the poo poo out of each other like children.

100 footballers parachute onto a shrinking pitch...

Battle Royal is coming home.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

EorayMel posted:

EA's E3 2018 presentation actually has what you're looking for with Madden Esports. Not even kidding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekKth75c4bg&t=2498s

E:FB but I at least gave a link.

Also:

Holy poo poo.

Even better is that blonde haired gamer acting all hard and giving side fives like he actually matters.

You play a video game about another game. Just. Stop.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Hockey is less interesting because its just north america and a handful of european countries who are any good at it

the world cup is a joke

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Mode 7 posted:

It's boring to watch, its governing body is hilarious corrupt, and diving is some absolute horseshit. gently caress soccer.

"You know about hands, right? Opposable thumbs and all that? The physical feature that has allowed humans to develop and use tools and progress as a species above all other creatures on Earth? Let's design a game around all the players (save two) not being allowed to use them." - Creator of fütball/soccer

feelix posted:

Soccer is only popular because it doesn't require expensive pads and a specialized field and lots of expensive surgeries and lawsuits and destroying people's brains so poors in Brazil can play it

Also this.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

"You know about hands, right? Opposable thumbs and all that? The physical feature that has allowed humans to develop and use tools and progress as a species above all other creatures on Earth? Let's design a game around all the players (save two) not being allowed to use them."

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Collapsing Farts posted:

Hockey is less interesting because its just north america and a handful of european countries who are any good at it

the world cup is a joke

the nhl is good hockey. Olympic hockey is good but the NHL didn't go to this past one because they get nothing out of it and it disrupts the NHL season so the owners all hate it. That sucked because Olympic hockey is usually good stuff.

I guess if you're a filthy Euro or something I could see not paying attention to the NHL.

Actually, as an American that's my problem with soccer. I like watching it, and I enjoy the world cup every time it's on. But the MLS kinda sucks, and it's certainly nowhere near the top league in the world. But I wouldn't even know what league to follow in between world cups if I wanted to become more of a fan. All the best leagues are European, but there's a fuckin lot of them and the top soccer talent is spread all over the place. If you wanna watch the best hockey players you watch the NHL. If you want to watch the best soccer players you watch....?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Champions League. Or you could watch Premier League since it’s pretty easy to get in the US compared to La Liga or the other big national leagues.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Seriously though, watch the Champions League. The format is pretty much the same as the World Cup (the knockout games are home-and-away which means you have to learn the away goals rule but that’s easy), Borussia Dortmund is usually in it so there’s a team with an American for everyone to be a plastic of, and you get a broad sampling of the best clubs from across Europe so if you get interested in one of the national leagues you can learn about them that way. And it’s got the highest standard of play of any competition in the sport so that’s good too.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

"You know about hands, right? Opposable thumbs and all that? The physical feature that has allowed humans to develop and use tools and progress as a species above all other creatures on Earth? Let's design a game around all the players (save two) not being allowed to use them." - Creator of fütball/soccer

Are you allowed to kick the ball in basketball

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Zzulu posted:

Wtf? No you're not, because it's a sport that uses people's hands for fine motor tasks and people's feet for moving and supporting the people, in the way that humans are supposed to operate

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Zzulu posted:

Not a lot of people know this but if you kick a basketball and it goes in the net it's actually worth FOUR points.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

Seriously though, watch the Champions League. The format is pretty much the same as the World Cup (the knockout games are home-and-away which means you have to learn the away goals rule but that’s easy), Borussia Dortmund is usually in it so there’s a team with an American for everyone to be a plastic of, and you get a broad sampling of the best clubs from across Europe so if you get interested in one of the national leagues you can learn about them that way. And it’s got the highest standard of play of any competition in the sport so that’s good too.

I'll have to check that out some time. Is there good diving in the champions league?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Ginette Reno posted:

the nhl is good hockey. Olympic hockey is good but the NHL didn't go to this past one because they get nothing out of it and it disrupts the NHL season so the owners all hate it. That sucked because Olympic hockey is usually good stuff.

I guess if you're a filthy Euro or something I could see not paying attention to the NHL.

Actually, as an American that's my problem with soccer. I like watching it, and I enjoy the world cup every time it's on. But the MLS kinda sucks, and it's certainly nowhere near the top league in the world. But I wouldn't even know what league to follow in between world cups if I wanted to become more of a fan. All the best leagues are European, but there's a fuckin lot of them and the top soccer talent is spread all over the place. If you wanna watch the best hockey players you watch the NHL. If you want to watch the best soccer players you watch....?

The premier league duh

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

I'll have to check that out some time. Is there good diving in the champions league?

It’s got Neymar so...

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Zzulu posted:

Croatia in the finals is fun because no one expected it. So I really hope they beat the frenchmen

Sadly the french are prolly gonna headbutt them into their graves

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

skasion posted:

Another good thing about Gaelic football is that if you dive, 10-30 Irishmen are about to run roughshod over your supine corpse anyway so if you weren’t injured before you sure will be now

Pity Gaelic football is more corrupt than FIFA.
And you don't get a penny for playing, even if you piss blood occasionally for the rest of your life due to an injury from it.
You only get money from it if you die on the pitch, and even then they still steal most of it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I mean, it’s Ireland.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i dont know anything about gaelic football except i happened to be staying in dublin the night of the dublin vs kerry final a couple years ago and man the whole town went completely loving nuts it was pretty great

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Earwicker posted:

i dont know anything about gaelic football except i happened to be staying in dublin the night of the dublin vs kerry final a couple years ago and man the whole town went completely loving nuts it was pretty great

15 men to a side, you can use your hands but you can’t throw or run while holding the ball (theres more to it than that but who cares), three points for putting the ball in the goal, one point for putting it over the goal between the uprights. It’s fun.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ChesterJT posted:

The one thing I do like about the low scoring is it really emphasizes that any team can win. A lot of matches even one lucky goal is enough to win

fifa announces new battle royale mode

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mode 7 posted:

no see it's the most popular game in the world a bloo bloo bloo

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i didnt realize something being popular automatically meant that i had to like it

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Zzulu posted:

Soccer doesn't need gameplay improvements you turds. It's the most popular sport in the world for a good reason

American Football is the most popular sport in the states, it must not need improvement either.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
i enjoy most sports, however after i’m a sharks and pistons fan so i also want to die.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Earwicker posted:

i think gaelic football is like normal football except there are no rules

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Rutibex posted:

i think gaelic football is like normal football except there are no rules

That’s Aussie rules

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Blast of Confetti posted:

field soccer (i think that's the name? idk) does some of this but hardcore fans bitch about the differences so it never caught on. it's kind of an arena football vs regular american football situation. people don't like change

Yeah I know. I feel like soccer is especially that way, because in American football for example they usually make significant rule changes every offseason. If you look at a football field from way back in the day, they really look a LOT different. Soccer as far as I know has barely changed at all since inception, and there is a very strong conservative strain that makes it extra difficult to make positive changes.

Also, what're they gonna do shorten every single soccer field across the entire world and then make them buy new goals? To say people would freak out because they don't like change is a huge understatement, they'd freak out for all kinds of reasons.

skasion posted:

If you want soccer to have loads more scoring just watch Gaelic football instead

You have my attention. Now what the hell is Gaelic football.

In the same spirit, I really really like Aussie rules football. But it's not really soccer at all and has more in common with football or rugby

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

skasion posted:

15 men to a side, you can use your hands but you can’t throw or run while holding the ball (theres more to it than that but who cares), three points for putting the ball in the goal, one point for putting it over the goal between the uprights. It’s fun.

You can't trick me that's ultimate frisbee

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

skasion posted:

If you want soccer to have loads more scoring just watch Gaelic football instead

Yep. Never even heard of this until we visited Ireland a couple years back. It's a great bar watching sport.

At least in Ireland it is.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Because the Irish are loving crazy and awesome.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Actually all Gaelic Games are awesome.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Play posted:

Yeah I know. I feel like soccer is especially that way, because in American football for example they usually make significant rule changes every offseason.

american football has to change the rules every offseason because every advancement in camera technology makes it more and more difficult to define the precise nature of the word 'catch'

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

How football is actually played has changed a lot since the 19th century or even since the 50s, but a great deal of that change has been in the tactical approach to the game rather than in the rules. The obvious reason for this is that unlike the NFL, which is the only body of any importance at all in its sport and can make any change to the rules it wants as long as enough team owners are on board, there is no one body that can unilaterally push through a change to the rules of football.

The rules are upheld by IFAB. Since the 50s, Fifa gets four votes on IFAB and the football associations of England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland each get one. You need six votes to change a rule. So Fifa can’t change anything without at least half the home nations on board and vice versa. This is a system designed to produce inertia and historically it’s required pretty major amounts of time and/or outcry to make more than small changes. So the laws of the game have changed quite a lot since 1863 (originally there was no goalkeeper, referee, or half time for example) but there have been only a handful of significant changes since Fifa was founded, like cards and the backpass rule.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Play posted:

Yeah I know. I feel like soccer is especially that way, because in American football for example they usually make significant rule changes every offseason. If you look at a football field from way back in the day, they really look a LOT different. Soccer as far as I know has barely changed at all since inception, and there is a very strong conservative strain that makes it extra difficult to make positive changes.

its a lot easier to make rule changes frequently when there is only one league

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe
America is poo poo at team sports and doesn’t understand or play the most popular team sport in the world?

Who knew?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Earwicker posted:

All gaelic finals are great craic, doesn't matter who it is really.
The problem is that its Dublin centric when it comes to anything in it. Most of the money not stolen by the local clubs and then not stolen by the county clubs, and then not stolen by the higher management in Dublin, is spent mostly in Dublin for Dublin.
I am horribly biased though on it though, come from a long family history of gaelic footballers.

• Locked thread