Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

About to start the trial. So far i suspect the tower is some weird anti gravity room??? Why not at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

P-Mack posted:

About to start the trial. So far i suspect the tower is some weird anti gravity room??? Why not at this point.

I just reached the trial as well. im not even going to guess what the architectural twist is, I just wanna see nagito reveal it. Also it seems too obvious to assume this is a suicide to protect everybody bc nidai had already died once, he's a honorable person etc. my completely random guess if its not a suicide is....sonia

worried about finishing this trial right now bc i may not be able to stop and just keep playing through the finale for the next 5 horus or w/e.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

In Training posted:

I just reached the trial as well. im not even going to guess what the architectural twist is, I just wanna see nagito reveal it. Also it seems too obvious to assume this is a suicide to protect everybody bc nidai had already died once, he's a honorable person etc. my completely random guess if its not a suicide is....sonia

worried about finishing this trial right now bc i may not be able to stop and just keep playing through the finale for the next 5 horus or w/e.

My guess is Gundham and the murder weapon was the elevator, but by having a hamster trained to push the button at 5:30 when he has an alibi.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

In Training posted:

Looking forward to your reactions!

How good is steins gate? Is it better to play through it or watch the series? It’s still pretty expensive for a 9 year old game.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Aston posted:

How good is steins gate? Is it better to play through it or watch the series? It’s still pretty expensive for a 9 year old game.

been a while, but what i remember is that the v/n has a lot of filler and the typical japanese sex weirdo poo poo in it. but the actual meat of the story (cool pseudoscience) is really good.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dongicus posted:

been a while, but what i remember is that the v/n has a lot of filler and the typical japanese sex weirdo poo poo in it. but the actual meat of the story (cool pseudoscience) is really good.

i don't remember any sex stuff beyond the handful of jokes they crack in the anime.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Aston posted:

It's a game about a complete rear end in a top hat idiot who accidentally invents time travel, uses it completely irresponsibly, and causes disaster. Then he has to figure out how to undo it all and clean up his own mess.

As a result I found the first part annoying to play through because the protagonist is so awful. But the payoff was worth it and he goes through some very good character development.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

On the fifth trial. The casually tossed off reveal about byakuya was funny.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Case 5 was awesome

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

:staredog:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

When chapter 6 started I thought the finale was gonna be lame but it's been awesome. I might buy v3 tonight.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
hell yes brother. I wish I had been able to go straight into v3 from 2 without there being a couple years gap in my memory

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I wish v3 would go on sale

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It just did 2 weeks ago you slackers

edit: wouldn't have felt bad paying full price though. Also there's an INSANE amount of post game content I'll never touch including (no story spoilers whatsoever but it's so weird i gotta tag it) a mario party style board game thing where you choose from any of the characters from across all 3 games and build their skills up at Hopes Peak Academy, and then a separate turn based Dragon Quest style dungeon crawling RPG where you build parties out of said characters and send them adventuring. It's the most extra poo poo i've ever seen lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Like honestly Danganronpa Kart Racing would have been just as or even less weird than the post-story V3 stuff lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Finished the game....loving cool. i feel like theyre all doomed to drive themselves crazy on this island anyway, and its weird how little impact the fake Byakuya had on the whole thing but chapters 5/6 were simply awesome.

downloading v3.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Hell yes it's so epic from the getgo . Happy gaming

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Spending 60 hard earned american dollars on a VN...this is the good poo poo.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Looking back at 2 its kinda lame how much of the game, basically the first 3.5 chapters, are intentionally rehashing the structure of 1 with very little external development or mystique happening, but i think the payoff of the finale was worth it. its not like it was a slog or a straight copy either, they still had fun and goofy cases to make it enjoyable along the way. i was also secretly hoping the whole time that the cast were like Kombat Kids of the first cast from some alternate timeline which is why they all had character designs echoing the original and had reshuffled names. but i guess it was just a stylistic touch

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh my god the Monokub theme.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

goferchan posted:

It just did 2 weeks ago you slackers

edit: wouldn't have felt bad paying full price though. Also there's an INSANE amount of post game content I'll never touch including (no story spoilers whatsoever but it's so weird i gotta tag it) a mario party style board game thing where you choose from any of the characters from across all 3 games and build their skills up at Hopes Peak Academy, and then a separate turn based Dragon Quest style dungeon crawling RPG where you build parties out of said characters and send them adventuring. It's the most extra poo poo i've ever seen lol

Jesus I wish I would have read that earlier today. Needed $30 on a purchase to get no interest financing so I grabbed Ni No Kuni 2 because I figured I wouldn't play v3 enough to justify $60

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

In Training posted:

Oh my god the Monokub theme.

v3 is the best game and best soundtrack. its so loving good. enjoy gamer

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I instantly love this cast more than the first two games. There were probably 50%+ in both that I didn't care about their inevitable death but drat...all these people kick rear end.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

it helps that the dr3 ttranslation isn't It can't be helped and It could only be *that person* every third sentence like in the first two yes i was keeping count

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

in other words

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Squad Goals.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

this game also has a way more ubiquitous style, in the UI/character portraits etc. the first two felt functional and some of the character designs were pretty fugly but even in the opening the setting and text boxes and design in this is just so drat cool.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

In Training posted:

this game also has a way more ubiquitous style, in the UI/character portraits etc. the first two felt functional and some of the character designs were pretty fugly but even in the opening the setting and text boxes and design in this is just so drat cool.

Wait til you hit a trial, the UI is so slick

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I picked up DR2 today on sale for Vita. Still on chapter 3 in DR1 and is probably the most fun I’ve had playing a VN so far

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Regy Rusty posted:

It's a game about a complete rear end in a top hat idiot who accidentally invents time travel, uses it completely irresponsibly, and causes disaster. Then he has to figure out how to undo it all and clean up his own mess.

As a result I found the first part annoying to play through because the protagonist is so awful. But the payoff was worth it and he goes through some very good character development.

Yeah Okabe is a completely insufferable dumbass at first. But it's cool how like halfway or three quarters through the story it turns out the only reason he's such a weird jackass is because it makes Mayuri happy and he's terrified of her ever being hurt

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah this is definitely a better way of putting it. It's a 30 hour v/n where the latter half definitely makes up for how mediocre the first half is. I do still recommend it however.

I'm still kind of split on the sequel however.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Alright I'll give it a try whilst I wait for DR3 to go on sale.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cospox

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

V3 owns

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

LOL forgot about that

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh man the nonstop debates in this are wild

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I like how they play with the text presentation in those way more than the first 2 games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Just finished v3 case 1. Ive been waiting for them to use this idea since like...the 2nd hour of the first game, and the way the trial shifted into the truth and being forced to basically sacrifice yourself with a menu option was pretty amazing. on the other hand, kaede is way cooler than the detective dweeb, and any of the first two protags, which is a shame. it was a refreshing perspective to just be one of the ultimates in the group instead of being The Protagonist. im really looking forward to where it goes from here, and honestly, I hope you keep murdering people and having to change perspective after every case. or, actually, the coolest one would be if you got killed at some point, and then played as someone else to figure it out.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's a hell of a first trial, especially after coming off, like, "tutorial trials" in the first 2 games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

Just finished v3 case 1. Ive been waiting for them to use this idea since like...the 2nd hour of the first game, and the way the trial shifted into the truth and being forced to basically sacrifice yourself with a menu option was pretty amazing. on the other hand, kaede is way cooler than the detective dweeb, and any of the first two protags, which is a shame. it was a refreshing perspective to just be one of the ultimates in the group instead of being The Protagonist. im really looking forward to where it goes from here, and honestly, I hope you keep murdering people and having to change perspective after every case. or, actually, the coolest one would be if you got killed at some point, and then played as someone else to figure it out.

you're the ultimate detective dude thats what he say s over and over and everyone else says Hey, aren't you the ultimate Detective