Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it's lucky for me that agent black from iconoclasts is surrounded by idiots, because otherwise its intrepid heroes wouldn't have lasted an hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Oxxidation posted:

it's lucky for me that agent black from iconoclasts is surrounded by idiots, because otherwise its intrepid heroes wouldn't have lasted an hour

agent black is the only member of team badguy who is both sane and competent, and she is very aware of it

aba
Oct 2, 2013

quote:

Access Denied
You don't have permission to access "http://store.steampowered.com/" on this server.

Reference #18.4c710617.1531547031.2269da08

Is anyone else getting this in both Steam application and a browser?

Edit: They fixed it.

aba fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jul 14, 2018

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

John Murdoch posted:

So uh, it turns out that at least some of Colonial Marines' shittiness was caused by a single typo.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/aliens-colonial-marines-ai-fixed-by-a-single-letter.55247/

Sweet mercy.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Oxxidation posted:

"I have a gun. We have a criminal to execute. Let's just shoot 'em!"

"no we have to have an elaborate sacrifice thing with rites read and everything WAIT THEY'RE ESCAPING"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Been playing Shadowhand

Seems okay but I should have looked closer at the description since I made the assumption that it was a deckbuilder but it's really more of a fancy solitaire.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
i was thinking of getting wh40k gladius but reviews made it sound simple and feature lite (no diplomacy). so i thought about getting endless legend. i'm a first time player to 4x games. should i stick with gladius or try my hand with endless legend?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

temple posted:

i was thinking of getting wh40k gladius but reviews made it sound simple and feature lite (no diplomacy). so i thought about getting endless legend. i'm a first time player to 4x games. should i stick with gladius or try my hand with endless legend?

Endless Legend is real good - do the tutorial, and start with the Vaulters, and you should be able to pick it up. Have you ever played Civ?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

StrixNebulosa posted:

Have you ever played Civ?

long time ago.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

temple posted:

long time ago.

Then you'll have an idea of what to do! Enjoy Endless Legend, it's really good!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Been playing Shadowhand

Seems okay but I should have looked closer at the description since I made the assumption that it was a deckbuilder but it's really more of a fancy solitaire.
You get to equip guns and pants.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Nuramor posted:

Any recommendations for a game that has a coop-campaign with at least three players? We already finished D:OS2 and are now looking for something new.

Warhammer: Vermintide II

Gameplay's Left 4 Dead meets Chivalry

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
i'd forgotten how much fun this game is

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Zetsubou-san posted:

i'd forgotten how much fun this game is

You're pulling a corn in the bible - what is that?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Looks like Harvest: Massive Encounter.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/MOOMANiBE/status/1017899784445747200

A dev from Gaslamp Games reflecting on Clockwork Empires

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

IndieGala has Bayonetta for like $5 right now. Finally picked it up, gonna see what all the fuss has been about.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The Vault of Forgotten PC Adventure Games

Nightmare Ned

The Dark Eye

Developer and Publisher: Inscape, GT Interactive

Year of Release: 1995

"I admit it! I confess! Tear up the planks! Here, here! It is the beating of his hideous heart!”

Menu Theme

Edgar Allan Poe was one of the most influential American authors in literary history. Poe was at the forefront of the development of the short story in American literature and was one of the founding authors of the detective and science fiction genres. Also a little known fact is that Poe wrote some comedic short stories as well. What Poe was most well-known for though was his Gothic horror stories and poems. Madness, murder, loss, and despair were common themes of these works of his; many of which were inspired by his own personal tribulations, most notably the deterioration and death of his beloved cousin and eventual wife, Virginia Clemm, who died young of tuberculosis. Poe’s influence on horror fiction is inarguable and the younger artistic mediums such as film and television have adapted or paid homage to Poe’s horror tales numerous times but the youngest medium, video games, rarely has. There is one game that did actually bring Poe’s stories to life though, Inscape’s The Dark Eye.

The Dark Eye adapts several of Poe’s short stories and poems, namely The Cask of Amontillado, The Telltale Heart, Berenice, The Masque of the Red Death, and Annabel Lee. The game also has a framing device of the main protagonist visiting his uncle, cousin, and brother in his ancestral home inspired by The Fall of the House of Usher. Because these are mainly straight adaptations if you know the stories you’re not going to be really surprised, but that’s not a detriment because Dark Eye does the stories justice in its execution and it does do some fleshing out of the stories of its own.

Dark Eye is a first person adventure game ala Myst, but there are no traditional puzzles. Gameplay is mainly interacting with characters and objects in order to activate plot flags which allow you continue on with the story. The framing device has you explore the protagonists’ ancestral home. When you progressed enough with the framing story you’re taken to a seemingly nightmare version of the house where you can go into the levels pertaining to the adaptions. Amontillado, Berenice, and Telltale Heart are where this gameplay applies to. Annabel Lee and Red Death are narrated cutscenes. Most of the time it’s fairly clear what to do in the trio of levels, but sometimes you may end up fumbling around trying to figure out what to do next. Usually the areas are small though so it’s not a huge problem; the largest area being the Monstresor family catacombs, but even then the game prevents you from really getting lost there. Two instances are rather obscure in that to activate the next plot flag you need to approach something from a precise angle, otherwise you probably won’t need a guide for this game. There is another facet to the gameplay in that you play not only as the murderous protagonists of said stories, but also as their victims, here is where Dark Eye does a bit of its own thing by fleshing out the victims' perspectives. You need to complete both versions of the three stories in order to progress in the game. You can access them both from the nightmare house as well as certain moments when you look into the eyes of the other character and switch over to them, a gameplay remnant of Inscape’s previous game, The Residents’ Bad Day on the Midway, which I will be covering down the road. This mechanic is pretty pointless though compared to Midway as you are better off just accessing the levels through the house instead.

Dark Eye is a great example of the creativity of the 90’s CD-ROM era as its characters are entirely made out of stop motion puppets. The Red Death segment is portrayed in a Cubist style while Annabel Lee is comprised of a dream-like arts and crafts collage of photos, clippings, clay, and other materials. The atmosphere throughout the whole game is fantastic and really help bring Poe’s tales to life. The music really fits the mood and the voice-acting is overall real good. Montresor and Fortunato’s final exchange is a stand out for me and the VA for the protagonist of Telltale Heart nails his rapid descent into madness. Strangely enough, Williams S. Burroughs, father of the Beat Generation and author of Naked Lunch, provides the voice of the framing device protagonist’s uncle and acts as the narrator for the Red Death and Annabel Lee segments. He is quite good as the former but I feel Burroughs’ age really shows in the narrations because his delivery gets rather stilted and mumbled in spots.

When it comes to Dark Eye's status in the Vault, Night Dive has made mention that they have interest in re-releasing Inscape's games, but there's still no real solid word of Dark Eye seeing the light of day of any time soon.

Despite any flaws in its gameplay, The Dark Eye does a wonderful job capturing the spirit of Poe’s works, creating an experience that is a great example of what the 90’s CD-ROM era had to offer and is still one of a kind to this day.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 14, 2018

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
TIL they're bringing back Aquanox.

Also Icons: Painfully Generic Subtitle is getting savaged in reviews because it turns out their F2P system is pure crap. It sounds like they're doing Overwatch-style lootboxes with no other way to accrue currency, so it's a long, random grind to unlock half the cast unless you pay up.

temple posted:

TBH, I think the single best introductory 4X is still probably Civ V. Endless Legend is much richer, but at the cost of being a bit more overwhelming.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 14, 2018

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Endless Legend has a faction called the Wild Walkers which people say plays a lot like Civ 5. It's also IMO the most boring faction to play in that game (is there a saying of praising with faint drat? if there was this would be an attempt at it).

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Eh, Wild Walkers are passingly similar, but mostly just in the sense that they're production-focused and have easy to understand bonuses. I'm talking about the overall EL experience, stuff like the tech tree or the combat, which have far more nuance (and ways to screw everything up) compared to Civ V's comparatively streamlined approach.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Did they remove the army micromanagement from Endless Legend where you had to assign equipment to each individual unit, because if so I might pick it up and have another go at it.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you can set what equipment is worn when they are made

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I decided to try that alien AI fix but I can't tell if it's working or not, to be honest

https://giant.gfycat.com/SmugCoolBluemorphobutterfly.webm

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 14, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Not_Log posted:

Groupees Daedalic Build a Bundle

$5-18

:siren:Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun:siren:
Skyhill
The Franz Kafka Video Game
Valhalla Hills
Leaves: the Journey
Holy Potatoes! What the Hell?!
Crazy Machines 3
Candle
Blackguards
The Night of the Rabbit
1954 Alcatraz
Shooting Stars

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Man, I read that as Anachronox. Had my hopes up.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

This game that just released called MoonQuest intrigues me:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/511540/MoonQuest/
Has anyone played it?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

DaveKap posted:

This game that just released called MoonQuest intrigues me:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/511540/MoonQuest/
Has anyone played it?

All I know is I'm so sick of that particular stick legs style of pixel art. So sick.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I personally wouldn't refer to a game as 'released' if it was in EA.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

watch this space for my smash hit procedurally generated roguelike minecraftian early access hentai battle royale

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

So what's Aquanox play like? Is it basically a mission-based space sim only underwater or is it more freeform?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

All I know is I'm so sick of that particular stick legs style of pixel art. So sick.

Bite me, that style looks amazing when it has effort put into it, and it's far more distinct than 3D graphics.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

"A procedurally-generated adventure game with roguelike and minecraftian gameplay."

nope nope nope

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Bite me, that style looks amazing when it has effort put into it, and it's far more distinct than 3D graphics.

Procedurally generated pixel game under early access, and it's a builder? I got burned on backing Starbound, so I think i'll pass.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mordja posted:

So what's Aquanox play like? Is it basically a mission-based space sim only underwater or is it more freeform?

The former.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh yeah, guess a L4D clone with generic looking aliens came out recently, to anyone itching for more co-op shooting.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/415590/Earthfall/

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Fargin Icehole posted:

Procedurally generated pixel game under early access, and it's a builder? I got burned on backing Starbound, so I think i'll pass.

Oh, not arguing that the gameplay sounds terrible. Just that the graphics style is actually good, in my opinion.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Holy poo poo, thanks. Shadow Tactics for $6 is a steal.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Awesome! posted:

"A procedurally-generated adventure game with roguelike and minecraftian gameplay."

nope nope nope

why not just describe it as "terraria-like"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
So I picked up The Vagrant on a lark and its actually pretty good. Its basically a one character Dragon's Crown (including every female character being exceptionally booby) with expanding move-set and abilities. The combat is very brawnler-ish on a single plane with launches, guard breaks, and a simple upgrade system. Currently for $1.99 its a fun little diversion with its positives outweigh the negatives.