Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Acute Grill posted:

especially since Clint seems like he's trying to purchase a personal army for Ned.

I love the idea of Clint's Ned-Head followers. Though to be honest, considering Griffin set up the conflict between the paranormal-tourism part of town and the more straight-laced regular nature tourism part, I was surprised he didn't jump on the opportunity to tie Crew/Net-Friends into Ned's burgeoning success with the Cryptonomica.

Him being a local TV star and trading off his involvement in the Pineguard to promote his tourist trap already seems like it sets up a natural arc of consequences with Agent Stern and Ned's old partner, so leaning into the idea that Ned's profiting short-term and is better placed to fend off challenges from town hall and the sheriff to his business could help build that up.

Also there was something funny about Justin preparing this pretty long sequence of Duck pulling Ned away to this restaurant and building up the onion soup in order to deliver this meaningful anecdote about why Duck turned away from his destiny only for their Nonny to show up right at the end. I don't mean that spoiled the scene or anything, it was very funny and good, it's just funny that it seemed like a big setup for Duck to reveal his involvement with Minerva to Ned and it got sidetracked because he did too good of a job making everyone soup-hungry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Dolash posted:

I love the idea of Clint's Ned-Head followers. Though to be honest, considering Griffin set up the conflict between the paranormal-tourism part of town and the more straight-laced regular nature tourism part, I was surprised he didn't jump on the opportunity to tie Crew/Net-Friends into Ned's burgeoning success with the Cryptonomica.

I mean, Ned only just got them this episode, we should probably wait for them to actually show up in the story before we worry about how Griffin is using them.

I really like the whole first arc being about Momma and Co stressing under no circumstances is ANYONE ELSE supposed to be told about this supernatural poo poo and it's spiralling out of control by the end of the first real arc. One of the things Hunter: The Vigil (a game with a similar ideas but a very different system) suggested for storytelling was the idea of treating Hunters like a virus, where conflicts have enough collateral, chaos, and unexpected witnesses that for every one of you that gets eaten by werewolves, there's more and more people who realize something fucky is going on and so I definitely hope they lean into his business success and the team's loose lips about the whole thing.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Acute Grill posted:

I mean, Ned only just got them this episode, we should probably wait for them to actually show up in the story before we worry about how Griffin is using them.

As an asset or ability of one of Clint's characters, my guess for how they'll actually be used is "not at all".

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Wait, why did they change all of the NPC names in the Adventure Zone comic?

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

change my name posted:

Wait, why did they change all of the NPC names in the Adventure Zone comic?
They had to change the ones that are part of the published adventure Griffin partially used, Lost Mine of Phandelver

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
Klarg, Phandalin, Sildar Hallwinter, Neverwinter, Gundren Rockseeker + bros, the Black Spider, and Faerun are all property of Wizards of the Coast. Thankfully most of the stuff that needs name changes exists solely in “Here there be Gerblins” and doesn’t show back up (or already had his name changed to Barry Bluejeans).

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sawbones is now advertising a toothbrush subscription service.

I know podcasts advertise a lot of stupid poo poo, but this is the first time where I'm like, this is immoral. A toothbursh subscription service is such an obvious scam to extract money from nerds with poor impulse control who like receiving mail. They should not be endorsing that.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Guy Goodbody posted:

I know podcasts advertise a lot of stupid poo poo, but this is the first time where I'm like, this is immoral. A toothbursh subscription service is such an obvious scam to extract money from nerds with poor impulse control who like receiving mail. They should not be endorsing that.

Having not heard it yet, how often are they replacing the toothbrushes?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

you get a new brush head and I'm assuming a new tube of toothpaste every three months

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I mean, you can get a new toothbrush for free every 6 months anyway.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
I usually use those for travel since they're not super good quality

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/TheZoneCast/status/1018145193147715590

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Guy Goodbody posted:

How is a subscription toothbrush service less ethical than HIMS,? Also saying that you get a free new brush every 6 months seriously overstates how often people can/do/can afford to visit the dentist (at least in the states).

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

dogsicle posted:

you get a new brush head and I'm assuming a new tube of toothpaste every three months

They said a new brush head every three months, for five dollars each. Five dollars for a toothbrush

https://www.amazon.com/Colgate-Toothbrushes-Premier-Extra-Clean/dp/B00I7HPNHS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1531585092&sr=8-4&keywords=toothbrushes

Blue Apron is terrible, but at least there's some value in having everything you need in the right amounts in one box. There's no value added for this toothbrush scam. It's just absurdly expensive toothbrushes, aimed at people who are very bad with money.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

The Modern Leper posted:

How is a subscription toothbrush service less ethical than HIMS,? Also saying that you get a free new brush every 6 months seriously overstates how often people can/do/can afford to visit the dentist (at least in the states).

Hims is at least sending people generic brand pharmaceuticals, some of which require subscriptions, for what looks to be a relatively minor markup. So you get to skip going to the doctor and waiting in pharmacy lines for stuff that should be otc at this point.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
All subscription boxes that advertise on podcasts are scams. Hope this helps.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Money, capitalism, and the modern concept of 'adulthood' are also scams, please let me know if you have further questions

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Sade posted:

Money, capitalism, and the modern concept of 'adulthood' are also scams, please let me know if you have further questions

[The author provides a public link for hotlinking, but let me know if this is still verboten.]

Guy Goodbody posted:

yeas, posting that is verboten

:smith:

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 14, 2018

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
its a replacement head for an electric toothbrush system every 3 months. this is a weird soapbox

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Legs Benedict posted:

its a replacement head for an electric toothbrush system every 3 months. this is a weird soapbox

It's electric!? Jesus Christ, goons.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh, well that makes a bit more drat sense, then.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Yeah electric toothbrush heads are usually around or more than $5

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I was really confused because I haven't listened yet but the only 'toothbrush box' I've seen has been that electric brush that you get heads and toothpaste and poo poo for often for and had no idea what kinda bougie dentists you have to go to to get that for free.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Modern Leper posted:

[The author provides a public link for hotlinking, but let me know if this is still verboten.]

yeas, posting that is verboten

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

SpacePig posted:

All subscription boxes that advertise on podcasts are scams. Hope this helps.

Not really. Whilst the food boxes they've advertised are more expensive than just buying the ingredients, they're great for learning new recipes and skills and having the right amount of stuff without wastage. For a family of two it's been a lot easier to cook without having a heap of leftovers, without having to do any thinking about adjusting the recipe.

Hope this helps

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Somberbrero posted:

Fwiw it's currently marked as 'BO Stocked' through Diamond, not sure if they're using any other distributors. That means they still have some stock but it's not being printed at the moment. Also, there was a cool supplement/dice bag that retailers could order for free through Diamond, so your local comic shop may have some of those on hand.

I take it Diamond a comics distributor or something? I got this answer from my local shop - apparently they had it for a week but sold out, but will try to order one for me.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Oxyclean posted:

I take it Diamond a comics distributor or something? I got this answer from my local shop - apparently they had it for a week but sold out, but will try to order one for me.

Diamond has a monopoly on comics distribution, yeah. I'm not sure if it's going through another distributor as well hence the dual release dates.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

iajanus posted:

Not really. Whilst the food boxes they've advertised are more expensive than just buying the ingredients, they're great for learning new recipes and skills and having the right amount of stuff without wastage. For a family of two it's been a lot easier to cook without having a heap of leftovers, without having to do any thinking about adjusting the recipe.

Hope this helps

Sure, you're paying more, but you're also getting less!

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
You're paying for more things than food when you get a food box. It's a bad deal if none of those things are worth anything to you but gently caress if you can't see that there's more to it than that.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Sure, you're paying more, but you're also getting less!

Also you can get the recipes online! Blue apron posts the recipes on their site, for free, for everyone. There's literally no reason to pay for that poo poo, especially since blapron probably won't exist in a year or two

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also, Stitch Fix and Trunk Club are still somehow two separate companies, despite their services being literally identical.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Trunk Club costs slightly more since they are now owned by Nordstrom, so they ship more designer brands

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Waffleman_ posted:

Also, Stitch Fix and Trunk Club are still somehow two separate companies, despite their services being literally identical.

I'm pretty sure Earwolf has switched between Casper and Leesa mattresses more than once without having to change the ad copy.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The thing is these food boxes aren't actually anything worth while. You can learn these unique recipes with a little effort. The increase in cost is not worth the effort. Google is free. Stop being lazy and learn to cook properly. Those boxes don't teach you how to substitute ingredients to meet a dietary need, preference, or ingredient availability. They don't tell you how to cook to taste or how regional pallettes effect recipes. Most of all they don't teach you how to budget groceries, when ingredients are in season, fresh, and cheap. They don't tell you how to get better qualities of ingredients like finding meat further up the supply chain, before they sit in vacuum packs. Those services do not teach you how to cook.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

um excuse me posted:

The thing is these food boxes aren't actually anything worth while. You can learn these unique recipes with a little effort. The increase in cost is not worth the effort. Google is free. Stop being lazy and learn to cook properly. Those boxes don't teach you how to substitute ingredients to meet a dietary need, preference, or ingredient availability. They don't tell you how to cook to taste or how regional pallettes effect recipes. Most of all they don't teach you how to budget groceries, when ingredients are in season, fresh, and cheap. They don't tell you how to get better qualities of ingredients like finding meat further up the supply chain, before they sit in vacuum packs. Those services do not teach you how to cook.

You can get the recipes directly from their site so it is entirely laziness

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

TBH I've been cooking regularly for more than a year and I have no idea when anything is in season

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I don't mean to attack anyone with I said, but saying those teach you how to cook isn't true. Cooking so much more dimensional than adding ingredients together in the correct quantities and making them hot in specific amounts of time.

A year is still very new to cooking. Big indicators when stuff is in season is when they go on sale for weeks at a time in grocery stores. Beyond that looking where things grow in the world and finding out when they harvest helps. You have a long time to learn this and the more you do, the better you get at cooking!

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

um excuse me posted:

I don't mean to attack anyone with I said, but saying those teach you how to cook isn't true. Cooking so much more dimensional than adding ingredients together in the correct quantities and making them hot in specific amounts of time.

A year is still very new to cooking. Big indicators when stuff is in season is when they go on sale for weeks at a time in grocery stores. Beyond that looking where things grow in the world and finding out when they harvest helps. You have a long time to learn this and the more you do, the better you get at cooking!

Jesus, this guy just can't stop attacking people!

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

If you need a box of food every week, look into community supported agriculture, (some are bad), and everything will be seasonal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

um excuse me posted:

yea like not to be all artsy fartsy but it kinda bums me out 'learn to cook' has been boiled down to 'we send you a recipe and EXACTLY what you are to use in it'. Like, that's not cooking. I wanna make a paint by numbers joke but no you can actually just ignore the numbers if you feel you need to and you still have paints and all, the closest you get for that in these boxes is, what, 'eh I don't like parsley I'll leave that out'?