Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

Didn't Cruz win the Iowa primary/caucus?

He did. And ultimately came to nothing in the face of Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Oberndorf posted:

so in other words, "arguing the point" on corn subsidies had nothing to do with cruz failing to win the nomination

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Oberndorf posted:

:wrong:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Holy loving poo poo I'm dying

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

No Trump in here please.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Pseudocereal sounds like an obscure 90 alt-rock band.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Every youtube video of Alexander The Great is filled with comments of people arguing over wether he was Greek or not. Seems to be people from proper day Greece and slavic people from eastern europe.

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
What was the Roman attitude to the factual/historical status of the Aeneid and the Aeneas myth? Did the Romans have a pre-existing folk culture mythically linking them to the events of the Iliad, or was it pure invention by Virgil? How literally would the Romans have read the Aeneid? I think I can understand how cultures can rely on myth in the absence of a historical record. But it's incredible to me that myths can be invented as self-flattering fan-fiction and for it's contemporaries to not recognize it as an invention.

I think I'm also asking how the Roman way of reading myths in fiction would have differed from ours. In ancient times, did an acceptance of the themes and politics of myth require a literal acceptance of the historical truth of myths? Would it have been seen as unRoman to doubt the truth of the Aeneas myth?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There's always a range of opinion and it's hard to tease out what an average person believed, but it does certainly appear from what we have that the Romans genuinely believed they were the descendants of Trojans. Virgil did not make the story up (at least not entirely--the form he wrote may have been original, but it was compiled of existing pieces), much like Homer himself he's the writer of a pre-existing story. Major difference is Virgil was definitely a real guy, Homer may not have been.

The Roman tradition from the very beginning claimed they were not natives to the area and the Romans made effort trying to figure out where they were from, which largely settled on the Trojan story. The fact that they spoke Latin in the midst of an Etruscan cultural zone does suggest there's some basis for this belief that they weren't native to what became Rome. There's no evidence of an Anatolian connection though.

Myths were generally taken seriously. You do find disagreement about their veracity--Herodotus mentions being dubious about various myths, and there are other writers that try to analyze them and figure out what they mean and what is real. The more familiar version of this is Christian theologians working through Biblical myths, that comes out of the same intellectual tradition. We're certainly more skeptical in the post-Enlightenment world than the Romans were. There's really very little evidence to support any position other than the Romans, in general, taking their myths seriously.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jul 15, 2018

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Their manifest unwillingness to grant citizenship to the surrounding Italians seems to bear that out.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
What were the other places that Romans who thought they weren't from Trojan colonists favored instead?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

fishmech posted:

What were the other places that Romans who thought they weren't from Trojan colonists favored instead?

I don't know of any specific alternate theories.

This did remind me that apparently there's a myth that the first Malaysian kingdom was founded by an exiled Roman general, which is weird. I've never been able to find the original story, there was a bad movie based on it some years back.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't know of any specific alternate theories.

This did remind me that apparently there's a myth that the first Malaysian kingdom was founded by an exiled Roman general, which is weird. I've never been able to find the original story, there was a bad movie based on it some years back.

lol that movie was so bad, I couldn't get through the first 10 minutes.

It seems like practically every Malay dynasty and petty noble had a bizarre origin story situated in the Middle East. Insofar as their stories resemble real history it might as well be Middle Earth. I'm just going to repost this bizarre one about Alexander the Great:

quote:

In the beginning there was only the Light of Mohammad, through which God created the universe. From the Light came angels and Adam, and from Adam descended Alexander the Great, whose wife was a nymph from Paradise. Upon his death, the three sons of Alexander the Great, Diraja, Alif, and Depang, set sail around the world, taking with them their late father's crown. Some say the princes argued rightful owership; some say their ship ran aground. But the crown was lost in the sea. A follower of Diraja, a trickster and master gold-smith, fashioned a replica of the crown and urged Diraja to tell his brothers he had found the original. Diraja did so, claiming the crown as his own. At this, the brothers parted. Prince Depang sailed off to the Land of Sunrise, becoming Emperor of Japan; Prince Alif traveled to the Land of Sunset, where he proclaimed himself Sultan of Turkey. Prince Diraja found the Land between Sunrise and Sunset, finding himself at the top of a mountain. It was there that the Minangkabau world began, with Maharajah Diraja as its first king.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Reminds me of the story of Lech, Czech, and Rus, who were three brothers who were said to have founded the Polish, Czech, and Russian people respectively. Nowhere near as flashy and bizarrely impossible though.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
My favorite old story (which I think I read in some book of Slavic fairy tales when I was a kid) is the one where Czechs introduced cats to Germans. Involves a bilingual pun (Was) when the Germans ask in bad Czech what the cats are going to eat after they've eaten all the mice and the Czech thought they said something in German.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Squalid posted:

lol that movie was so bad, I couldn't get through the first 10 minutes.

It seems like practically every Malay dynasty and petty noble had a bizarre origin story situated in the Middle East. Insofar as their stories resemble real history it might as well be Middle Earth. I'm just going to repost this bizarre one about Alexander the Great:

this sounds like a co-opting of a story about the diadochi passed through several languages and cultural contexts

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Stringent posted:

Their manifest unwillingness to grant citizenship to the surrounding Italians seems to bear that out.

"Their" is bit a simple, since it makes it sound like that was an united Roman front denying citizenship do Italians, when it was a big divide right through Roman society with both side fighting it out verbally and physically.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Decius posted:

"Their" is bit a simple, since it makes it sound like that was an united Roman front denying citizenship do Italians, when it was a big divide right through Roman society with both side fighting it out verbally and physically.

Ah, yeah i only really consider the patrician side as being authentically "Roman" in that kind of stuff, dunno why.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Stringent posted:

Ah, yeah i only really consider the patrician side as being authentically "Roman" in that kind of stuff, dunno why.

:agesilaus:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Grand Fromage posted:

Let's not ignore that corn is also a spectacularly good and productive crop. There's a reason why it's so widely grown globally.

This is true. China grows a shitload of corn, something like 2/3rds of what America produces.

Ethanol and HFCS subsidies are a case of trying to use the absurd amounts of corn that Iowa and the other Corn Belt states produce than vice versa, but it's a self-perpetuating cycle unfortunately. I personally blame cornbread being so drat easy the make and really tasty.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive

Grand Fromage posted:

The Roman tradition from the very beginning claimed they were not natives to the area and the Romans made effort trying to figure out where they were from, which largely settled on the Trojan story. The fact that they spoke Latin in the midst of an Etruscan cultural zone does suggest there's some basis for this belief that they weren't native to what became Rome. There's no evidence of an Anatolian connection though.
I'm actually inclined to favor Troy given that wherever the patricians came from, they (i) were probably culturally and technologically more advanced than the Italian natives, and (ii) were probably not Greek or Punic. If they'd been either one, they'd have set up yet another Greek/Punic city-state situation, or been at least aware of their heritage. But the Greeks and Punics remain "other" to the Roman mindset for a staggeringly long time. Once we cross Greek and Punic origins off the list, it's a much shorter list.

I do sometimes wonder if the entire patronage system derived from the natives needing a translator to conduct business with the newly arrived patricians.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

By no evidence I mean there's been DNA analysis that turns up no evidence of a connection to Anatolian populations. Latin isn't related to Anatolian languages beyond being Indo-European. The Romans also were not more technologically advanced than the Etruscans, that's pretty clear from the archaeology. Much of Roman culture comes directly from the Etruscans, which IMO is enough to explain why they're distinct from their Greek neighbors.

The Etruscan influence is so overwhelming that plenty of classicists think they're just Etruscans, who like the Greeks were not a unified group. I don't buy it though, I think they're a distinct group that adopted much of Etruscan culture in the first of many Roman instances of borrowing cultural attributes from the peoples they interacted with. The Romans just don't act like Etruscans, and there's that language difference again. The problem is that pre-Etruscan Roman culture is painfully hard to tease out. There's nothing written since they got writing from guess who, and it's such a long time ago that finding archaeological evidence is tough.

I do think the native Roman religion is a pre-Etruscan thing. The world of spirits and semi-animism, not the more familiar named gods.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

physeter posted:

I'm actually inclined to favor Troy given that wherever the patricians came from, they (i) were probably culturally and technologically more advanced than the Italian natives, and (ii) were probably not Greek or Punic. If they'd been either one, they'd have set up yet another Greek/Punic city-state situation, or been at least aware of their heritage. But the Greeks and Punics remain "other" to the Roman mindset for a staggeringly long time. Once we cross Greek and Punic origins off the list, it's a much shorter list.

I do sometimes wonder if the entire patronage system derived from the natives needing a translator to conduct business with the newly arrived patricians.

I don't think there's any linguistic evidence that could support this theory

But on the topic of linguistics and Etruscans, it's interesting that Etruscan was clearly related to Lemnian, spoken on Lemnos in the Aegean in 6th century BC. Chances are that they were part of a larger pre-Indo-European Mediterranean language family; a more remote chance is that there was some kind of a migration connection between those two cultures specifically

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Isn’t the “we’re descended from Trojans” thing just because there’s this universally read epic poem about them so they’re the highest-status “ancient” people anyone thinks they know anything about?

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
Agree as to no linguistic evidence (that I've ever read, anyway). But the cultural evidence of the patricians being a distinct group of outsiders to the region is pretty heavy. Differing marital customs to the point of miscegenation laws. Different burial procedures. Not only were they a different population, but some of them wanted to keep it that way. I doubt they shared a language at the beginning.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Ehh, the Medieval European nobility didn't need to be foreign invaders to impose brutal social stratification either, they just needed to be wealthy in the right place at the right time. If the patricians actually had an ethnically non-Latin origin, you would see that in the historical record

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Is there any chance at all of ever finding a copy of Claudius' Etruscan history?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I think the poster is 100% wrong, but I'm reminded of how all the Italian nobles of the 13th-16th century were German invaders who made up faux-Roman origin stories for their ancestors.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
No, you're not descended from senators, you're a Lombard whose people came down in the 600's and made everybody build them a nice castle.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There was plenty of influence from the natives on their conquerors in one way or another, especially since Italy was pretty densely populated, but after the fourth round of invasion and setting up a new dominion, it had to be wearing a bit thin.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Ras Het posted:

I don't think there's any linguistic evidence that could support this theory

But on the topic of linguistics and Etruscans, it's interesting that Etruscan was clearly related to Lemnian, spoken on Lemnos in the Aegean in 6th century BC. Chances are that they were part of a larger pre-Indo-European Mediterranean language family; a more remote chance is that there was some kind of a migration connection between those two cultures specifically

That's interesting, and weird. It seems like there really were a lot of strange and unique cultures spread across the Mediterranean at the dawn of history, but so few of them left any records of their own.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I just finished A Cabinet of Byzantine Curiosities and here are a few stories I bookmarked:

"Theology by flatulence: the Arian theologican Aetios illustrated the various theological positions regarding the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit by farting. Three farts of identical volume stood for the theology of his opponents, while three farts of decreasing volume signified his own."

"Scandinavians

They have sex in unholy ways, especially men with donkeys; they are the vilest of all people."

"Armenians

The terrible race of the Armenians
is deceitful and extremely vile,
fanatical, deranged, and malignant,
puffed up with hot air and full of slyness.
A wise man said correctly about them that
Armenians are vile when they live in obscurity,
even more vile when they become famous,
and most vile in allways when they become rich.
When they become filthy rich and honored,
then to all they seem as vileness heaped upon vileness.
"

"The court of Nikephoros II Phokas was outraged in 968 when emissaries brought letters from the pope addressing him as 'emperor of the Greeks.'

Doesn't that idiot of a pope know that Constantine the Great transferred the imperial capital and senate here, to Constantinople, and left behind in Rome only slaves, plebeians, and common types?"

"Sofia of Montferrat was the second wife of the imperial prince Ioannes Palaiologos. She was tall and had a body to die for, and her flowing blond hair reached to her ankles. But there was something grotesquely disfigured about her face. The people of Constantinople called her Lent from the front but Easter from behind."

"At an imperial banquet, the patrician Himerios the Boar--called that because of his beastly face--let out from his belly such a loud noise that it extinguished a torch. Michael III awarded him with a hundred pounds of gold for performing such an extraordinary feat. We are unfortunately not told from which end of his belly this mighty roar came."

I'm also looking for an English version of a book called the Katomyomachia, which is an epic about a war between cats and mice. Only found German and Greek versions.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Was there ever a pets in rome post? I'm sure they kept to some degree the typical working animal pets (dogs and cats) and the super rich had some more exotic ones (including the weird guy with lampreys) but I don't know exactly where to find it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I don't know if there's been a post. They did have pets, cats and dogs as you say. We have a few named dogs in household art. I'm sure I've read about rich people with cheetahs since they're a good combo of exotic and also the chillest of big cats, quite rare for them to decide to tear your face off at random. Bird keeping was also a thing, and exotic fish.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't know if there's been a post. They did have pets, cats and dogs as you say. We have a few named dogs in household art. I'm sure I've read about rich people with cheetahs since they're a good combo of exotic and also the chillest of big cats, quite rare for them to decide to tear your face off at random. Bird keeping was also a thing, and exotic fish.

They could have their doggies play with the cheetah kittens :3

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
There's a story by Macrobius that, when Augustus returned to Rome, a guy presented him with a raven that said "Hail, Augustus, our savior, hero of Actium!", and Augustus paid him a whole bunch of money for it. The guy's partner got upset because the raven trainer ripped him off, so he told Augustus, "Make him show you the other raven." Turns out the guy had a second raven who he had trained to say, "Hail Antony, our savior, hero of Actium!" Augustus just laughed and told him to share the money with his partner.

Macrobius went on to say that, when somebody else heard about this, he trained a raven to praise Augustus, but he had trouble getting it to say anyrhing, so he shouted at it, "All my time and money for nothing!" Eventually, though, he got it to talk, and brought it to Auguatua, who just said, "Thanks. Already got a talking raven." At which point, the raven just said, "All my time and money, for nothing!", and Augustus bought it.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Grand Fromage posted:

"At an imperial banquet, the patrician Himerios the Boar--called that because of his beastly face--let out from his belly such a loud noise that it extinguished a torch. Michael III awarded him with a hundred pounds of gold for performing such an extraordinary feat. We are unfortunately not told from which end of his belly this mighty roar came."

Begs then question when people started setting their farts on fire.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Power Khan posted:

Begs then question when people started setting their farts on fire.

within days of learning how to create fire or fermented drinks whichever came last

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

As a financial crime investigator I just wanna know what made that dude hate Armenians so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

FAUXTON posted:

As a financial crime investigator I just wanna know what made that dude hate Armenians so much.

Dudette. It was Saint Kassiani, the famous Byzantine abbeys and hymnist. But there was a bunch of anti-Armenian sentiment in Constantinople. A lot of Armenians had come onto the empire and become pretty important, which led to a lot of resentment. Plua, Armenians tended to be pretty iconoclast, and she was a fanatic iconodoul who ended up being forced into exile because of it, so I'm sure that played a pretty big part.