Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Tallgeese posted:

What, no mention of Vagrant Story?

It's not canon. :colbert:

lobster22221 posted:

Probably not a bad idea. Showing the ff12 beastiary entries could be a start, add a few mentions of the ones in fft and ffta, and maybe some etymology.

Are the totema with shared names actually the same? I'm confused on that point

I'll remember to add the beastiary entries when the scions get used then. Or would y'all rather I posted them when we get the summoning item instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Solumin posted:

It's not canon. :colbert:

I'll remember to add the beastiary entries when the scions get used then. Or would y'all rather I posted them when we get the summoning item instead?

Since we already got a bunch, just post them when they get used (and we can actually see what the Scion looks like).

Arkanian
Sep 18, 2013

And I'm finally caught up! Like a lot of people, this LP inspired me to go and play this game again. Though I ended up using a "patched" version online that makes Flintlocks not need prime; turns out that even with that they're still worse than cannoneers. I have no idea what they thought they were doing there. More importantly though, that patch also lets Al-Cid change classes; once I get there, I'll let you guys know if he actually can dual wield pistols or not.

Anyway, for something slightly more on topic... It's pretty easy to miss in the middle of all the random junk, but Luso's actually wearing the the Corsage of Corruption in his official artwork.(It's on the hat)

Arkanian fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 11, 2018

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Leraika posted:

Since we already got a bunch, just post them when they get used (and we can actually see what the Scion looks like).

Sounds good. Recorded the next couple cups and managed to fire off the scions a couple times.

Arkanian posted:

And I'm finally caught up! Like a lot of people, this LP inspired me to go and play this game again. Though I ended up using a "patched" version online that makes Flintlocks not need prime; turns out that even with that they're still worse than cannoneers. I have no idea what they thought they were doing there. More importantly though, that patch also lets Al-Cid change classes; once I get there, I'll let you guys know if he actually can dual wield pistols or not.

Anyway, for something slightly more on topic... It's pretty easy to miss in the middle of all the random junk, but Luso's actually wearing the the Corsage of Corruption in his official artwork.(It's on the hat)

That patch sounds really interesting!
A lot of the characters are wearing one of the scion-summoning items in their official art. Adelle has the High Seraph's Plume on her armband, for example.

Arkanian
Sep 18, 2013

Solumin posted:

That patch sounds really interesting!
I can't say I recommend it, unfortunately. I was looking for a mod that would change that and only that, but it seems that the small handful of people who make FFTA2 mods are only interested in total overhauls of the game rather than QoL tweaks.

*Rant*

The one I'm using was the most unobtrusive one I could find, with a stated intention of tweaking the classes a little bit to make bad classes more usable, but it also felt the need to throw in completely unrelated changes. Such as giving monsters higher speed growths, or giving the field encounter level scaling to every single enemy in the game (Well, the ones that could be modified to have it, anyway). Which gets pretty obnoxious as the game drags on. And then there's the problem of certain changes that are not actually mentioned in the mod notes or the game. i.e., all of the Spellblade's abilities were given elements, but good luck figuring out which one is which right away given how unintuitive it is.* It does a good job of making all of the uniques more usable than they were in the base game, but I still can't help but feel I'd be having more fun playing the unmodded version.

*Guess what element Oil Blade is. If you guessed fire, then great, you're wrong! Maim Blade is the fire one. Oil Blade is holy for some reason. The only connection I can think of between oil and holiness is anointing things, so I guess everyone my Spellblade kills very briefly becomes the messiah or something.
[/Rant]

quote:

A lot of the characters are wearing one of the scion-summoning items in their official art. Adelle has the High Seraph's Plume on her armband, for example.
Huh, that's a neat detail. Sometimes I can't help but wonder if the Scions were ever meant to be more prominent in the game than they ended up being...

Arkanian fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jul 11, 2018

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I wouldn't know what to look for, but if you're playing on an emulator anyway you might as well fool around with the RAM addresses. Doubtless there's a boolean flag somewhere that dictates the Primed status, so if you want to obviate the need to constantly waste actions on winding up you can just set it to 1.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Since I didn't get the whole 'don't dispatch people to missions to actually do them' thing I did those Camoa Cup things like eight times before actually getting another scion to use besides the one they just give you for free.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Just recorded an entire 5-battle tournament... except I never pressed record. :cripes: Thank gently caress I backup the save file, I'm not sure what I would have done there.
I don't have the patience to do it all over again right now though.

NGDBSS posted:

I wouldn't know what to look for, but if you're playing on an emulator anyway you might as well fool around with the RAM addresses. Doubtless there's a boolean flag somewhere that dictates the Primed status, so if you want to obviate the need to constantly waste actions on winding up you can just set it to 1.

Probably not that simple, unfortunately. If I knew anything about Action Replay, I'd try to make a code that disabled the Prime check on those abilities.

RareAcumen posted:

Since I didn't get the whole 'don't dispatch people to missions to actually do them' thing I did those Camoa Cup things like eight times before actually getting another scion to use besides the one they just give you for free.

Ha, yeah, they never actually tell you about that. This is one of the reasons I don't like doing dispatch.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Solumin posted:

Wait, what.

Oh.

Welcome to Limit Glove, one of the most stupid blue magics in this or Final Fantasy 9!

I don't know why the game calls it "Cornered" in everything but the spell list of the monster you learn it from, but it's a real simple boolean check. Do you have single digit HP? If so, great! You do guaranteed 999 damage, without question, for 4 MP. More HP than that? Too bad, you waste your turn and your MP.

Naturally, there are ways to exploit the unholy gently caress out of this with mirror-elixirs and reraise.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Is it non-elemental, or fire(from the explosion)

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

lobster22221 posted:

Non-elemental. It's just 999 damage, no way to stop it.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

lobster22221 posted:

It might be the caster's aura flaring, if I remember the animation correctly.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Fool's Paradise: Juggler, Trickster (Job Roundup #18)

In today's job roundup, we're taking a look at two unique jobs: Juggler and Trickster. These two are actually somewhat similar, with a strong focus on speed and status effects.

---

Juggler

Races: Moogle
Locked By: 2 Tinker
Unlocks: Nothing

Equipment:
- Weapons: Daggers
- Armor: Light Armor

Growths: Great speed, high W.ATK and W.DEF.

There's a few jobs in FFTA2 that focus on conditions over raw damage, such as Ninja and Elementalist. Juggler is perhaps the best of them, thanks to some really awesome abilities. Ring Toss inflicts Stop, Dagger Toss disables and Smile Toss gives the most wonderful status of all: Quicken. It's not really a status, because all Quicken does it make the target take its turn next. It's amazing and powerful and just fantastic and you can get the weapon that teaches it from the auction house.

Juggler may not deal the most damage, but its utility is undeniable. More importantly, it's a fun job. Just imagine your Parivir slicing down an enemy, then immediately getting a free turn to cut down someone else. Or imagine the hijinks of a Time Mage who Hastes himself and a Juggler who keeps tossing him smiles as they Stop everyone on the battlefield. Juggler's speed and physical stat growths are great, too. It probably works best as a secondary job -- Fusilier and Moogle Knight offer much better equipment -- but any clan will benefit from having a Juggler.

---

Trickster

Races: Bangaa
Locked by: 2 Master Monk + "Sleight of Hand" quest
Unlocks: Nothing

Equipment:
- Weapons: Cards
- Armor: Light Armor

Growths: Top-tier M.POW and Speed, average everything else.

Trickster is the second new bangaa job, and like Master Monk, it makes you wonder why the developers dropped the ball so hard on the other races' new jobs. Boasting Ninja-levels of Speed growth and Nu Mou-tier M.POW growth, Trickster offers a strange new play style for bangaa. They use cards, like some kind of Gambit knock-off, and their skill set focuses on inflicting conditions. They can gift opponents with poison, charm, berserk, immobilize and frog, then use Traumatize to do increased damage for each condition. They also have Agitate, yet another "deal damage equal to your lost HP" skill, and Mug, which damages and steals loot.

Without Concentration or other accuracy-raising abilities, Tricksters' ability to inflict conditions suffers a little. But they have one advantage: cards have the undisputed longest range in the game at 8 tiles. Only some high-tier guns come close. Their damage is a bit low, of course, because that's how FFTA2 balances things. Trickster is commonly paired with Bishop or Gladiator, since it's the best bangaa job for using magick and Ultima. In fact, it's possibly the best Ultima user in the game, due to their high M.POW and the range of cards. For a job that seems gimmicky, Trickster is quite useful and powerful.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Tricksters are great. Definitely my favorite bangaa class, followed pretty closely by master monk.

Arkanian
Sep 18, 2013

Neat! Was wondering when we'd get to this particular roundup. I was trying a Trickster/Bishop myself, and it was pretty fun -- more for the Bishop's skillset than the Trickster's, since pure status is a bit underwhelming here compared to Advance, but there's some fun stuff on the Trickster side of things too.

Speaking of my playthrough though, I finally got Al-Cid and taught him dual wield! At which point I noticed that while the mod allowed you to switch him out of the Agent class, it doesn't allow you to switch him back into it. I guess the possibility of him being a different class was never in the programming, so it can't show up on the list or something. Ah well.

For something more relevant to the LP though, I checked that urn in the last level. I got an ether from it, so it means it's just one of those urns that gives you a random unbuyable consumable. Which I suppose makes sense -- due to how the completion bonus thing works, you wouldn't keep anything you acquired in that mission anyway, so it's the only thing you could possibly use.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

You forgot part of what makes Dagger Toss (and sometimes Molotov) so great: they're ranged damage on top of a status. You never waste a turn throwing a dagger at someone since it's non-elemental ranged damage. Not a lot of damage, mind you, but constant chip damage considering the Juggler's speed with a constant chance to disable them.

And throwing molotovs at a mage class (provided they're not wearing fire resist/absorb gear) to berserk them is just hilarious.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

It's worth noting that the Quicken effect got tweaked in A2, which was a stealth nerf that most people won't actually notice.

The way the turns work in both FFTA games is that you start at 0, and each clock tick, you add your speed score (or 2x your speed if hasted, half your speed if slowed) to your CT. When you hit 1000 or more CT, you get a turn. During your turn, selecting an attack or action "costs" 300 CT, moving "costs" 200, and selecting Wait "costs" 500. (That means doing nothing will make your turn come twice as fast.)

Quicken (and Smile Toss) in Advance gave you 1000 CT, ensuring your turn would come next.

In A2, those skills just make you take your turn next regardless of your CT score. Thus, when you take your turn after being quickened in FFTA2, your next turn after the quickened turn actually takes longer, since CT can go into the negatives. Quickchaining in A2 is a good way to get a bunch of turns real quick, and then ensure you never have another turn for the rest of the battle - it's much better for emergency "I need my white mage to act now before the boss can get off its nuke" usage than it is for "my team has a billion turns wheee" spam.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jul 15, 2018

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
If CT can go negative, then it can underflow. I'm really tempted to see what that would do.

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

ANGER HAS NEVER BEEN MORE MANLY THAN THIS
Inverse Tor rules? Suddenly you have all the CT and your units can go all the time.

Of course, you'd have to fight the game mechanics to get there, as well as the enemies off to survive until you do.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Assuming the game uses remotely sensible data types for tracking CT, they'll be using at least a 16-bit integer to track it (has to be more than 8-bit to handle values > 255). Presumably it's signed, which means you'd need to get to -32769 to wrap around to positive again. If it's not signed, then you can't actually go negative, and presumably they added logic to say "if you would have less than 0 CT, you instead have 0 CT". But that wouldn't track with what KataraniSword said about characters that use Quicken several times being basically out of the fight afterwards.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Assuming the game uses remotely sensible data types for tracking CT, they'll be using at least a 16-bit integer to track it (has to be more than 8-bit to handle values > 255). Presumably it's signed, which means you'd need to get to -32769 to wrap around to positive again. If it's not signed, then you can't actually go negative, and presumably they added logic to say "if you would have less than 0 CT, you instead have 0 CT". But that wouldn't track with what KataraniSword said about characters that use Quicken several times being basically out of the fight afterwards.

I mean, all you need to test it is two characters spamming quicken at each other.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

If you could underflow the CT meter, imagine how that would look to a team mate's perspective.Two moogles sit there smiling at each other until they vanish and all of the enemies spontaneously explode/turn into blood fountains/burst into flames/whatever else shenanigans you want to do with moogles.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

I mean, all you need to test it is two characters spamming quicken at each other.

Next time I have a couple hours to spare, I'm going to try this out.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Solumin posted:

Next time I have a couple hours to spare, I'm going to try this out.

I forget, is Smile Toss still free? You might run into massive MP issues if you use Quicken the spell.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

AweStriker posted:

I forget, is Smile Toss still free? You might run into massive MP issues if you use Quicken the spell.

Smiles are, just like in River City, always free.

Arkanian
Sep 18, 2013

AweStriker posted:

It is still free, yes. But Quicken wouldn't be a problem if you use Halve MP and the MP Channeling privilege.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The main problem with that method is that even if it did underflow, unless you find the characters tp stat and watch the actual hex value theres no way to notice unless the game REALLY breaks.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

The main problem with that method is that even if it did underflow, unless you find the characters tp stat and watch the actual hex value theres no way to notice unless the game REALLY breaks.

Theoretically, if TooMuchAbstraction is correct, you'll have somewhere around ~32,000 CT. The turn order list (which I rarely show in the updates, so those not familiar with FFTA2 probably don't know about it) should show the next 32 turns belonging to the underflowed character.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
It's also possible that they used a 32-bit integer, in which case the limit would be a bit over 2 billion instead, in both directions.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I actually spent an hour or so last night playing around with it. I did 24 iterations without any noticeable difference, which isn't really enough to say. But I spent most of the time poking around in the RAM. I was able to find the units' HP and MP, but no clue about the CT value. I have no real experience with these things though.

Oh well, guess I should stick with regular updates instead. :v:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I think your emulator should probably have a "search for addresses whose value has increased since the last time I did a search" option. So you can repeat that search each time any unit takes an action, and the unit you're trying to find CT for should have higher CT each time, until it gets a turn of course. Then you'd search for addresses whose value has decreased since the last search. It usually doesn't take too many iterations of that kind of thing to narrow things down to one or two addresses.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I tried exactly that, of course. You vastly underestimate the number of addresses that change. Even limiting it to values that changed by an amount equal to the character's speed didn't help. No one has any concrete information about how FFTA2's CT System works.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Solumin posted:

No one has any concrete information about how FFTA2's CT System works.

Yeah, even my own statements are based on how FFTA works, since they changed very few other things under the hood.

That said, you can't just search for a single value changing because the game tracks values for 8-10 units at once and multiple clock-ticks can pass between turns.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I saw one post that posited the CT is increased at each clock tick by the character's speed, with an additional +40 if they did nothing, +20 if they moved/did an action and +0 if they did both. When the counter passed some threshold -- between 100 and 200, since a high-Speed character with Haste can have 3 turns in a row -- the character takes a turn.
So you'd think it would be as simple as moving and performing an action, then searching for a value that's changed by the character's speed, right? I tried that, obviously. For one character, a couple dozen values changed. For another, no values changed. Without knowing when the game ticks, it's hard to look for changed values.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
The game also keeps a visible queue of future turn orders. Some values are changing there too. Maybe that is what a lot of the values changing are?

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Randalor posted:

If you could underflow the CT meter, imagine how that would look to a team mate's perspective.Two moogles sit there smiling at each other until they vanish and all of the enemies spontaneously explode/turn into blood fountains/burst into flames/whatever else shenanigans you want to do with moogles.

I'd just like to bring some attention to this because this is a hilarious mental image.

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

ANGER HAS NEVER BEEN MORE MANLY THAN THIS
Like the time when we had two moogles smiling at one another until Lini Ultima'd Montblanc into nonexistence in the FFTA thread. And that somehow got fanart.

This time, everything dies.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Update 41: Obligatory Tournament Arc, Part 2

In This Update:
- Jalia sweeps the Fluorgis Cup!
- Scions disrupt the Goug Cup!
- We beat up some old friends in the Loar Cup!

---

Welcome back! Last time, we triumphed in the Camoa, Graszton and Moorabella Cups.

In today's update, we'll handle the last two city cups and the Loar cup.

Have I mentioned there's one tournament per month? They're supposed to be relatively spaced out, since you can easily do four quests in a month.

You may have noticed something odd in the quest description: the team size is 1.

Instead of bringing a team of 4 or 6, we can only field one unit at a time -- our "champion".

Inspired by Cid's use of the Blood Sword last update, I decided Jalia will be Clan Sawyer's Champion. She has incredible sustain with the Blood Sword's healing, immunity to conditions thanks to the Ribbon, and plenty of powerful abilities. Even better, the Angel Ring ensures she'll get a second chance if things go poorly.

To top it all off, she'll be boosted by Regen, which does not count as a buff!

: Do you truly think you can stand against a lifetime of conquests?

She's so badass.

Looks like those Assassin abilities are going to be useless: Immunity is basically a Ribbon, plus he's wearing Wygar, which blocks Instant KO moves.

And on top of all that, Jalia keeps missing him.

The only thing I'm really worried about is getting him down to low HP and having him pull out Limit Glove again.

It's not like he can do much else to us.

After a few turns of beating each other up, Jalia can summon Belias!

Belias (from FFXII) posted:

Scion of darkness and guardian of the Holy Realm, made by the gods in opposition to the Transcendent Loghrif, scion of light. Called the Gigas for his appearance: man and monster fused as one. Considered a mistake upon his making, and receiving not his intended role, the Gigas challenged the gods and lost. Scorned by his masters, he found another: the Dynast-King, whose tomb he swore to protect for eternity.

Pretty awesome.

Hopefully all the rounds are this easy.

---

The laws change every round here, which is annoying.

I appreciate that she has all red-colored gear, but the Ribbon and Counter are quite annoying.

Neat.

---

Thankfully, Jalia only has Archer's Bane as her R-Ability, so we're safe here.

Probably not the best idea, but we could really use the AP and she's been surviving just fine with just the Blood Sword.

This guy is pretty scary. Master Monk, so expect plenty of strong attacks. Orb of Minwu is a slightly worse Ribbon, not sure what it blocks. I know it won't block Berserk but that is a terrible idea. "Destroyer" is a flat-out boost to all stats, which is completely fair.

Well, it was a long shot anyway.

We can't survive more than a couple attacks like that, but at least he took some damage in return.

Jalia's terrible R-Ability pays off once again! This would have killed her if she had Counter, and the law would have been broken after the first round.

Jalia's had a few good turns, of course. Without the Blood Sword, she would be in much worse shape.

She got very, very lucky here.

I think she would have been fine though. The Angel Ring would have revived her, and she would have been able to finish him the next turn anyway.

---

As usual, we get another Scion-summoning accessory. This one is worn by Ritz from FFTA, though I don't really see it myself.

---

Up next: the Goug Cup! This returns to the normal 6-person teams.

I'm already regretting this.

Annoyingly, the law does not change. Grouping is one of my least-favorite laws, considering how it nullifies melee characters.

To compensate, we're bringing some hard hitters, like Leed and Talf. MP Channeling gives them 20 MP per turn, ensuring they'll have plenty of juice for their spells.

There's so much more to talk about now!

Henri is going to be kind of useless. Unless he can guarantee a kill, he can't attack anyone. I'm hoping he'll be useful in later rounds.

Imino (Black Mage/Juggler) and Talf will be two of our strongest attackers, thanks to their great ranged damage. (Penelo had put those three chocobos to sleep, and I'm not sure why I decided to wake them all back up.)

Alright, now we just have the chocobos left. They're actually easier to handle, because they're weak to lightning, water and holy damage.

On the other hand, they have plenty of defensive buffs to pass around.

That's two down. We're pretty overleveled, so this won't take too much longer.

And three. I could have gotten away with Thunder Assault, but there's no kill like overkill.

Four. See? It's going quickly now.

And Talf finishes off the last two.

---

Round two! The law hasn't changed.

As usual, I highly recommend focusing on the enemy White Mage first.

Oh right, Henri has the Master Monk abilities. I don't like spending HP just to attack, but the damage is worth it.

And of course Penelo can easily heal him up.

Al-Cid continues executing fools. This battle still has a way to go though. (I'm skipping so many turns right now.)

Talf weakened the enemies with the Stardust Illusion, and Henri gets a followup kill.

Leed finally gets a kill, too.

That gives him enough Smash to summon a Scion. A few turns later and he finally gets a chance.

Zalera (from FFXII) posted:

Heretic scion who wrapped the world in dark energies, seeking to take the souls of all living things unto himself. Created in opposition to Emet-Selch, Angel of Truth, and scion of light. Originally tasked with the judging of men upon their deaths, his soul was tainted by the curses of those who raged against the heavens, and seizing one of the gods' servants, a shamaness, as a hostage, he rebelled against his creators. Even now, in defeat, he clutches the shamaness to him in his right arm, and with the aid of her death-wail does he summon the soul of darkness to do his bidding.

We've seen this Scion before, but the thread asked me to include the bios of each one as we summon them. Figured this was a good chance to revisit Zalera, the Scion summoned by the Earrings of the Dead. Mewt Randell from FFTA wears them in his concept art.

Only one left.

Might as well blow our other summon.

He just uppercut the map in half!

Hashmal (from FFXII) posted:

Scion set by the gods to wield and manipulate the laws of this world, and with holy power lead mankind to order. Created in opposition to Fandaniel the Protector, scion of light. Desiring to bring order to all things, he joined with Ultima in her battle against the gods. He gave his body to the Thousand-Years War, and when his strength was spent, down into the burning inferno he fell.

Hashmal is summoned by the Pin of Order that we just picked up.

This order was deliberate: the Sniper absorbs Earth damage, so Hashmal would have healed her. The Spellblade was merely immune to Dark damage, making Zalera the better first choice.

---

Same law as before, still not allowed to stand next to people.

We've beaten you at least twice now, Prima Donna.

We still out-level them, so we get plenty of turns before they can move.

Unfortunately, the Fencer manages to heal her before we can land a finishing blow.

That doesn't stop Al-Cid though. That's a pretty lucky crit!

Well this sucks.

Our one hope is Leed will get lucky on his damage rolls and kill at least one of them, allowing him to walk away.

Oh well. We don't need the law anyway!

Two left.

At least Henri can finally attack. I've missed his huge damage.

Imino follows up with the kill.

And Talf finishes it off with a lucky Toad. Apparently that counts as a KO, same as Stone.

---

Famfrit was the moogle Totema in FFTA. Hurdy carries the Ewer in his character portrait.

---

Last one for today: the Loar Cup! It's actually in Moorabella.
And it's a doozy: 5 bouts instead of 3.

Most of the matches will see us facing the top opponent from the earlier cups.

We'll be seeing the same laws, too.

A mix of powerful friends (Zoe, Henri, Leed) and units who need some XP (Talf, Penelo, Frimelda).

No MP means Leed can't use Magick Frenzy and Penelo is kind of useless. She'll be way more useful in later matches though.

I think this is the first time a normal ability (i.e. not Mirror X-Potion) has dealt over 300 damage!

Zoe is a Hunter right now -- it's the only job she hasn't mastered yet. Most of the Hunter kit focuses on fighting monsters. Sonic Boom is one of her best abilities, giving her a mid-range AoE attack.

Thieves: still useless.

Monks: still very evasive.

Hopefully we won't get hit by too many attacks like this. Almost all healing is from magick.

Actually I just realized how magick-focused healing is.

Sure, there are some physical heals, like Soldier's First Aid. Paladin even provides an AoE heal (albeit melee-range) with Nurse.

Those abilities heal maybe 30 HP at most. Don't forget Parivir's Unburden Soul (and other similar abilities) which fully heal your team at the cost of the user's life. Compare that to over 100 HP healed for 9 MP that Curaga gives us.

Of course, you could use Items instead. X-Potions are a solid 200 HP of healing, which is better than Curaga at this point.

But then you're giving up your second ability set for single-target healing. Not worth it at all. Magick is basically your only choice when you need serious healing.

At least all that damage charged Zoe's Smash gauge.

Mateus (from FFXII) posted:

Scion of darkness ruling and protecting those who live in the underworld, in opposition to Lahabrea the Abyssal Celebrant and scion of light. In the course of his rule, he submitted to avarice, and the darkness took his heart, transforming him until he was both evil and corrupt. Then in his cowardice did he bind a Goddess of the Demesne of Ice, and using her as a living shield, he challenged the gods. Defeated before their might, he fell screaming into the depths of hell, there to be imprisoned for eternity.

Mateus breaks the map with a blast of ice. Samuel wears the Corsage of Corruption as a pin on his hat.

Alchemist makes items somewhat worth using, since they always have the Items command available.

First bout done!

---

Keep in mind that Penelo counts as a viera.

: Go home now, 'fore we cut yer feet and leave 'em to soak in the brine! Hrrm? Ye look... familiar. Have we crossed blades before?

Hooray for being able to use magick again!

These enemies are around level 41, only a level or two below us. So this is mostly Master Monk being awesome rather than us being overleveled.

Here's why Sneak Attack is so good for gria. They can just fly behind the enemy if they want to.

Just the two moogles left now.

Easy enough.

---

Finally, some new opponents!

Magick Frenzy is still really good against mages, who should have the Resistance to negate magick attacks.

Usually I'd avoid triggering Critical: Quicken, but he's a Sage. He won't have enough MP to cause any trouble on his free turn.

See? Frimelda handles him just fine.

I'm starting to run out of things to say and we're barely halfway through this cup.

At least this match is going relatively quickly. Squishy, squishy mages.

Of course the Illusionist has Blood Price! Really wish we could get that on our team.

Zoe follows up on a Magick Frenzy from Leed to take out the White Mage. Just the Illusionist left now.

The thing about Blood Price is it's useless when you don't have any HP. Talf and Frimelda are more than happy to illustrate this lesson.

See, Zoe? Mage clans aren't so hard.

---

Another repeat opponent, this time featuring a law we're guaranteed to break.

The law applies to each individual attack, so this 48 damage counts against us even though it's part of Magick Frenzy. Never mind that Leed dealt well over 300 damage in one turn.

Oh well. There goes our law bonus and free regen.

Guess we'll just have to kill everyone quickly.

Or just put them to sleep for a while instead.

Of course, they refuse to just roll over quietly. The Sniper doubles as a Green Mage, apparently.

Penelo somehow has buckets of HP, so she'll be safe for a bit longer.

The Illusionist and Sage still don't have enough MP to cause us any trouble.

Zoe woke up the Hunter with a Sneak Attack. Henri gets the KO and weakens the Berserker with a good Aurablast.

Sometimes the AI pulls out something like this. I mean, it's not really enough to save the Sage, but it's neat.

You can't really see it, but that's Talf killing the Sage with Protometeor.

The Illusionist finally has enough MP. As much as I like that job, it really needs MP support or Blood Price to be effective.

Awesome double kill from Zoe. The zero damage on the Sniper is annoying but ultimately doesn't matter.

And now just the Sniper's left.

Awesome.

---

Seriously? These tournaments have some really awful laws.

House Bowen, as we know, can be a pretty tough opponent. Even better, I'm using Bonus AP 3 instead of Regen.

This pretty much confirms that the game cheats and forces Veis to the front of the turn queue.

But we're pretty fast ourselves.

We need to strike hard and fast. Bowen himself is a big threat, Tweigel will have Blood Price-powered Illusions, and the other two are no slouches.

And we're still injured from the last bout.

So we're actually somewhat threatened here. Especially with the law forcing us into melee range.

And, of course, the NPCs don't have to worry about the law!

We'll avenge you, Zoe.

Confuse is one of those conditions that is removed when the unit takes damage, and the melee part of Magick Frenzy counts as a separate attack. Oh well.

OK, so having a White Mage is pretty nice sometimes.

That's one down! Bowen is weak, Tweigel's at around half HP, Veis has disappeared again.

We still have a ways to go yet, since we can't do anything about Veis being invisible. (Can you see her standing next to Henri and Bowen?)

She doesn't stay invisible for too long, thankfully. This is our chance to finish her off.

Trying to delay the inevitable, Tweigel?

We really needed this damage to ensure we finish her off.

Still, we came close. We can focus Tweigel now and wait for Veis to stop hiding.

Despite his attempts to slow us down, all Tweigel did was waste his own HP.

Here's a really good reason to use a White Mage. Esuna handles a lot of common status effects, but you need Refresh to handle the rest. (Or the Sage's Esunaga, which combines the two.)

I'd love to use Judgment Bolt here, but we can't target Veis through her invisibility.

Two deaths in one battle? That's a first.

Talf does not like what you did to Henri, Veis.

---

Yet another piece of powerful jewelry for the pile.

No one wears the Ring of the Wheel, unfortunately.

---

Whew! That was a pretty rough battle. They're only going to get harder from here. I think we have one or two updates left, depending on how rough the next few cups are. I don't want to bog down the updates with 15 tournament bouts.

Thanks for reading!

Solumin fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 23, 2018

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
I didn't now there were instances where the AI actually uses invisibility. Woah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Really? The AI uses Invisibility very often. Assassins, Snipers and Rangers will spend half the battle invisible if they can -- the AI loves to go invisible.