Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Prime example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRnVata0Vdo

Not a good game on pretty much any level. Funny as hell and can be completed in like an hour.

I would also recommend Stranglehold from a few years back, but it's about twice as long as it needs to be. The level where you blow up all of the islands around Hong Kong is 8 million years long.

P.S. Zelda III is the best Zelda game, gently caress this lame 3D poo poo

Inquisition doesn't have any of the bad game charm that Rogue Warrior has. It's just a slow slog through a single player MMORPg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Prime example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRnVata0Vdo

Not a good game on pretty much any level. Funny as hell and can be completed in like an hour.

I would also recommend Stranglehold from a few years back, but it's about twice as long as it needs to be. The level where you blow up all of the islands around Hong Kong is 8 million years long.

P.S. Zelda III is the best Zelda game, gently caress this lame 3D poo poo

I enjoyed this rather a lot.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

punk rebel ecks posted:

Speaking of stealth, whatever happened to the Splinter Cell series? The game's were huge two generations ago, to the point of rivaling Metal Gear in popularity. Now...

Rivaled metal gear you say?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
mario is shiftless loafer

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

signalnoise posted:

That's just factually wrong

Nah

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

so's your old man

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
crash bandicoot is charmless vermin

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

HDR is more valuable graphics tech for games than any resolution or antialiasing upgrade in the past decade

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Tenzarin posted:

That picture proves my point. That poo poo was so cool back then even though there was like only one place you could do it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The stealth splits were never cool. If the guards looked up they could see they could just shoot him right in the dick.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Orkin Mang posted:

mario is shiftless loafer

Of course, he's Italian.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Splinter Cell was really cool when it first came out. The gameplay was awesome for the era, and it looked amazing. It never really had a whole of personality though and it's gameplay became less novel over time. I'm not surprised it's been pretty much abandoned. Some franchises just need to die. If Ubisoft ever brought it back it would just be Ghost Recon: Wildlands with Sam Fisher. I don't know wtf you could do with Splinter Cell in tyool 2018 to make it interesting.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

signalnoise posted:

HDR is more valuable graphics tech for games than any resolution or antialiasing upgrade in the past decade

It's one of those things you don't know you're missing until you see it in action. 4K is a minor spec bump compared to being able to have REAL loving LIGHT.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Splinter Cell was really cool when it first came out. The gameplay was awesome for the era, and it looked amazing. It never really had a whole of personality though and it's gameplay became less novel over time. I'm not surprised it's been pretty much abandoned. Some franchises just need to die. If Ubisoft ever brought it back it would just be Ghost Recon: Wildlands with Sam Fisher. I don't know wtf you could do with Splinter Cell in tyool 2018 to make it interesting.

Splinter Cell Blacklist is a really solid game, though the plot is insanely stupid like pretty much all Splinter Cell games.

It blows me away that it's five years old now.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Playing the first Splinter Cell felt like driving a human-shaped vehicle. Loved Chaos Theory in all its Axe-sponsored glory

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the first three splinter cell games are still good, if clunky, chaos theory still being the best obv, but i tried playing that pseudo co-op game they put out as 4 and it was a disaster and i never tried playing any of the ones after that

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Conviction was alright

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

veni veni veni posted:

I feel that a modern Splinter Cell would be easier to do than a modern Metal Gear. Just make it a "realistic" stealth type game like the previous ones were for their time.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Dunno if it really made much difference, but one of the splinter cell games would have had somewhat inflated sales compared to how good / well liked the game was, because it had a save bug that let you jailbreak the x box, and install xbmc and stuff.

Jumping on the Dragon age origins was awful train. I don't really see how you could give that game anything other than a mediocre score? So middling. Also, it felt SO bloated, like everything was overwhelmingly colossal in scope, but the actual main quest felt weirdly short? I never upgraded my castle at all despite that being apparently the MAIN selling point, I got like one new horse of a possible 11 billion, I think I upgraded a single piece of armor but never enchanted or crafted anything, I never found ANY cool armor or weapons, so when the end of the game came I was kinda surprised, but using the same tactic I'd been using all game, I loving destroyed the end boss no struggle, and then was told in the ending that the character I dumped immediately and has never had any dealings with was the most important one and that was that. Like I just felt like there was a whole mmorpg going on beside my poo poo rpg that I didn't ever need to engage with at all?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

!Klams posted:

Dunno if it really made much difference, but one of the splinter cell games would have had somewhat inflated sales compared to how good / well liked the game was, because it had a save bug that let you jailbreak the x box, and install xbmc and stuff.

That was the first one.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Tenzarin posted:

I, too, suffer from a vision disorder that prevents me from seeing more than two degrees of periphery in any direction.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

!Klams posted:

Jumping on the Dragon age origins was awful train.

Dragon Age Origins was great for showing that Infinity Engine combat would be dull as hell even if it wasn't bullshit

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

signalnoise posted:

Dragon Age Origins was great for showing that Infinity Engine combat would be dull as hell even if it wasn't bullshit

If you read his post at all it is obvious that he's talking about Inquisition and typed Origins on accident.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
DAO gameplay was actually fun, imo. The lore, story and characters were atrocious. Fortunately those were the bits they kept for the sequels!

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

steinrokkan posted:

DAO gameplay was actually fun, imo. The lore, story and characters were atrocious. Fortunately those were the bits they kept for the sequels!

Morrigan and Alistair were wonderful, how dare u

Also they gave us the lovely elf as the gay romance when come the gently caress on Alistair is in the game

E: have you ever.. licked a lamppole in winter?

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

Why would I play DAO when KOTOR's combat was better?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I thought Dragon Age: Origins was pretty good game and I make that statement without qualifiers (which is not to say that it was perfect). I was a big fan of the Baldur's Gate series and it felt like a fairly faithful successor. I approached combat the same way as in BG, which is to say overhead cam with full manual control of the party (no tactics).

After that DA2 was a tire fire as everyone knows, and Inquisition was ok I guess.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i played da2 first and got like four hours into it before losing interest immediately after my first copy/pasted dungeon but up until that point it was honestly really cool

i don't think i've ever even fired up da1 despite somehow owning it on multiple systems that i can only assume i got for free somehow

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

every bioware RPG except maybe ME2 sucks

the stories are garbage, the graphics are terrible, the gameplay is poo poo, and they are all way too horny

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Only gripe I have about DA1 is the graphics were rear end even when it was new. Overall I thought it was a great game though

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Any RPG where you have to first click on a sword icon in your UI, after which your cursor turns into a sword with which you can click on enemies to attack, sucks dick.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Chomp8645 posted:

After that DA2 was a tire fire as everyone knows, and Inquisition was ok I guess.

Inquisition was a terrible time sink by design. It was very pretty, though.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

If you read his post at all it is obvious that he's talking about Inquisition and typed Origins on accident.

I honestly don't care

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Harrow posted:

Oh yes it did. I don't really like going back and replaying the original DKC anymore because it makes me feel like I am very bad at video games

easy "casual" games have just made everyone bad at video games

kids nowadays expect to be done with a $60 game in a few hours, without even reading the manual

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

the worst aspect of video games are gamers

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Verisimilidude posted:

the worst aspect of video games are gamers

This is the thread for unpopular game opinions.

Factually correct information belongs in a different thread.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

poverty goat posted:

kids nowadays expect to be done with a $60 game in a few hours, without even reading the manual

Games dont come with manuals anymore grandpa

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

poverty goat posted:

I think this is a misinterpretation of events.

When it comes to games there are people who are willing (or actively want ) to "get good" and be challenged by a game, and those who don't. The latter group is numerically larger, but neither attitude is right or wrong. In ye olde days when games were harder (not just in terms of mathematical/mechanical difficulty, but ability to easily parse and get to grips with) you were either part of the former group or... you didn't have much to play. With the current prevalence of "casual" games, this is no longer the case. Anyone can get into games now. The barrier for entry has been dramatically lowered.

I don't think that easy games have created casual gamers. They've just opened to market to people who didn't play at all when they were not available. Say that through an act of God all easy games were banished forever more and only hardcore games (whatever those are) could ever be played again. I don't think the game playing population would become hardcore. It would just shrink, and quite substantially.

That's one of the great things about the current game market, that we have casual and hardcore in abundance. Games for every taste. If casual games disappeared you wouldn't see some giant influx of Europa Universalis players... people would just quit video games. Likewise, if you deleted every video game that isn't run on a phone or named "Fortnite" you still wouldn't see me playing them, I'd just find new hobbies.

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!

Verisimilidude posted:

every bioware RPG sucks

the stories are garbage, the graphics are terrible, the gameplay is poo poo, and they are all way too horny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

"AAA" gaming is kind of poo poo just in terms of raising the bar for production to a point where you gotta satisfy as many people as possible due to the investment. I think that's why those high budget games tend to be easier than they could be, but that's really it. The games people remember being "the good ones" from the NES era didn't take extra budget to the degree that the AAA market does relative to just plain old games, even if they were longer and had more thought put into the design. The ones that weren't the good ones were simply bad games regardless of their production quality. Now you can sink all those extra dollars into a game to pad out its length or improve the graphical quality, and people want that for their now relatively niche market, but too bad. Your niche market doesn't get served with AAA budgets but that doesn't make your niche's games worse.

Anyways like I was saying AAA production budget doesn't necessarily translate to production value and too many people get hung up on that poo poo as if it ever really mattered. Back in the day it was just hey is this game annoying as gently caress to play yes/no, and no one cared if it had a massive budget. You shouldn't care now.