Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amok
Oct 5, 2004
You can't spell failure without U R A

And Tyler Too! posted:

Zaws are straight up better than 95% of the melee weapons in the game.

Except for fashionframe, sadly.

Can't even use weapon skins on them, thanks to Quality Coding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Zaws look stupid so I'll probably never use them

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Alright, so I've been playing this for a bit now, and I'm incredibly confused. Every time I think I'm getting a handle on what to work towards... the game throws about a dozen new things in my face unceremoniously and I'm right back to being confused as gently caress again.

I chose Excalibur and I'm basically relying entirely on Exalted Blade to do anything, because once I get above 17 or so I find that all my normal weapons are absolute poo poo and do absolutely nothing to anything (even the max rank ones with mods that I've upgraded).

I don't know where I'm supposed to focus my time because there's so much poo poo being thrown at me from a thousand different angles and I have no clue what any of it is for. I just came across Cephalon Simaris and I didn't even know he existed until the Quest that he's a part of. I don't know what the gently caress is going on with almost anything, and even looking up poo poo on the wiki is loving exhausting, because every time I type something in it inevitably leads to 20000 other things that I need to read up on to understand the first question.

The game is fun but holy poo poo is it overwhelming. I'm not hating it, I'm just completely lost. I don't know how to make my guns not poo poo (so that I'm not so stuck relying on energy to get poo poo done), I don't know what half of any of this poo poo means (like what is the difference between slash, puncture, and impact?), etc.

My head hasn't spun in circles like this in a long time.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Gonkish posted:

I don't know what half of any of this poo poo means (like what is the difference between slash, puncture, and impact?), etc.

Basic answer to this, slash causes bleeding on enemies, draining their health through armor and shields. Puncture has some armor penetration and Impact does extra damage against robots and shields. Basically the only one you need to care about is slash because it goes through everything.

Also don't feel like you have to do a thing as soon as it shows up, focus on one thing like a quest or weapon levelling or a single syndicate.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ask in clan chat for (basic) Damage, Multishot, and Elemental damage mods. Mod your weapons in that order based on the capacity you have. Don't stress over crit vs status just yet. Ignore slash/puncture/impact until you feel better about the mechanics.

Also the traditional answer of rhino/hek will solve all problems.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

idk i think the zaw aesthetic goes really well with gara's aesthetic

otoh gara doesn't need melee weapons so

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Every aesthetic is improved by a nice sword.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I think I'm in the clan now, but I haven't a drat clue how to get into the dojo. My google-fu is doing very poorly. Help?

SSNeoman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqVc_DbvUmI&t=4322s

Check this out for the magic behind the curtain. There might be verbal spoilers here though so beware.

E: to that gif

What is that weapon and how do I make sweet love to it?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

I think I'm in the clan now, but I haven't a drat clue how to get into the dojo. My google-fu is doing very poorly. Help?

What is that weapon and how do I make sweet love to it?

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Zarr

For Dojo you need to craft the Clan key, which will unlock the dojo in the bottom left of the map

Pretty sure other clan people can taxi you in for now though

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
that's the Zarr. And it's hilarious.

pair with dual rogga on Hydroid for maximum pirate

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

It's a location on the star chart.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Gonkish posted:

Alright, so I've been playing this for a bit now, and I'm incredibly confused. Every time I think I'm getting a handle on what to work towards... the game throws about a dozen new things in my face unceremoniously and I'm right back to being confused as gently caress again.

I chose Excalibur and I'm basically relying entirely on Exalted Blade to do anything, because once I get above 17 or so I find that all my normal weapons are absolute poo poo and do absolutely nothing to anything (even the max rank ones with mods that I've upgraded).

I don't know where I'm supposed to focus my time because there's so much poo poo being thrown at me from a thousand different angles and I have no clue what any of it is for. I just came across Cephalon Simaris and I didn't even know he existed until the Quest that he's a part of. I don't know what the gently caress is going on with almost anything, and even looking up poo poo on the wiki is loving exhausting, because every time I type something in it inevitably leads to 20000 other things that I need to read up on to understand the first question.

The game is fun but holy poo poo is it overwhelming. I'm not hating it, I'm just completely lost. I don't know how to make my guns not poo poo (so that I'm not so stuck relying on energy to get poo poo done), I don't know what half of any of this poo poo means (like what is the difference between slash, puncture, and impact?), etc.

My head hasn't spun in circles like this in a long time.

:same:

I am basically just accepting that it is going to be a long time before I know what Tenourifite Quazzlemorph credits for Bedo's weekly Neomorphic Ferrite Nalquex is about and why it needs three Huk parts to build.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

See the star map, for now, just focus on that, using the Junctions and doing what they say to keep reaching new areas.

Everything else can wait.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I saw someone wield a giant greatsword, it almost look like Nightmare's Soul Edge, but i dont recognize any weapon that fits this description in the marketplace. Was it a ZAWWW?

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Potato Salad posted:

You need to craft a clan key. It's cheap but takes 2 hours... I think. The build time is just to dissuade people from hopping clans all the time. Then you find the clan dojo in the starmap at the bottom left or go menu>personal(?)>clan. Either way will get you to your clan window. Click one of the window that says Enter Dojo.

Or someone in the dojo can also invite you in and you just accept. But pretty sure you can't use all the features like labs until you craft a clan key.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Level up your mods periodically and you'll see your damage go up. Don't worry about maxing them, just a bump here and there. Remember to use elemental mods too, Corrosive (electric+toxic) is the best general-purpose element and shines against grineer.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It's not a heavy sword but the closest I can think of is the Mire. It's a reward for clearing the final junction.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Fargin Icehole posted:

I saw someone wield a giant greatsword, it almost look like Nightmare's Soul Edge, but i dont recognize any weapon that fits this description in the marketplace. Was it a ZAWWW?

Either a Mewan Zaw or a skin from Tennogen. Check the skins market. Mewan looks big but not Galatine big. It's actually a regular sword too.

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
Two questions:

1) Is the "automatically fill mods" just dumb as hell, or is there logic to what it is doing? (It added melee damage to my Sentinel, which I'm pretty sure doesn't actually do melee attacks)

2) Is there a recommended "first" Zaw variant to build?

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

Fargin Icehole posted:

If it was fuckoff huge it was probably the Dominion Heavy Blade Skin which has a weird interaction/bug with the zenistar

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Bazanga posted:

Two questions:

1) Is the "automatically fill mods" just dumb as hell, or is there logic to what it is doing? (It added melee damage to my Sentinel, which I'm pretty sure doesn't actually do melee attacks)

1. super duper dumb

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Bazanga posted:

I think just do whatever style of weapon you're enjoying, you can't get the real top level power Zaws until you hit rank 4 Cetus standing anyway.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Even with mostly unranked mods, finally doing mods myself significantly increased my damage.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
The autofill button takes the conclave 'point' value of the mod or some other esoteric loving arcane chicanery and fucks everything up. It's useful exactly one time: When you are completely new and you have literally more slots on your frame/weapon than actual mods, and shoving them on isn't going to do anything negative.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

RFC2324 posted:

Zarr is like that.

"wait, why are my cluster munitions bouncing backward towards me? poo poo!"

Not only is it like that now, they had to patch it so it didn't do that every time.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

for the record, the cluster bombs from the zarr don't cause self-damage, only the initial explosion

this is because it was nearly actually impossible to not hurt yourself with the thing when it first came out

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

So, for primes, you basically wait for them to come out of Vault in rotation, then beat a boss? Or..wait for them to come out of Vault then spend money?

Also, is there a discord channel for goons?

FYI thanks for being a thread to throw questions into. I swear I'm doing my due diligence and am reading, but my GOd there's a lot to read comprehend. I'll stick to the advice to just open new areas for now.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
They add relics containing the relevant items to the drop tables of various stages and bounties. Unvaulted stuff is farmed just like new stuff, just not all the time. You can also keep relics between unvaultings. I'm sure I have some vaulted ones in my stash.

I don't think asking questions about anything is frowned upon in this thread, god knows I've asked my share of questions about obtuse-rear end mechanics.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Once they're unvaulted then the relics that drop their parts will be back on drop tables. You farm for those and then crack open the relics to get the parts to build the frame or weapon.

But yes you can also buy them when they get unvaulted.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Capture missions: play Tony Hawk Pro Skater for 90 seconds, then wait for the rest of the team to show up

I must be missing something, because rolling and flying past dozens of hapless derps can't be all there is to half these missions.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

That's very standard for rescue, spy, and mobile defense missions as well.

Barreling past everything is a good thing to get use to, gets you more familiar with the movement system. Which is something you abuse later on to mitigate incoming damage in missions where you aren't just running past everything.

Your movement directly makes enemies less accurate, depending on what you're doing. Rolling in particular actually reduces damage taken during the animation.

FunkyFjord fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 16, 2018

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

endlessmonotony posted:

Got any of those ridiculously expensive arcane hats?

Wait what? I've got like 8. You can sell these?

Captaindirtnap fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 16, 2018

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

What's the best hydroid build to get? I want to go maximum pirate and I already have a bunch of tentacle/pirate jokes to annoy my friends with.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

Captaindirtnap posted:

Wait what? I've got like 8. You can sell these?

Depending on which helmets you've got, you could be sitting on hundreds to thousands of plat.

e: The helmets in the pic are worth about 600 plat total. Storm's the most valuable at 300.

kxZyle fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 16, 2018

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

hydroid can get a lot of use out of all the stats, but you can safely lower strength a bit if you want to focus on duration and range. other than that, well, go hog wild.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The clan room

"Welcome to Hell, Santa"

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Johnny Joestar posted:

for the record, the cluster bombs from the zarr don't cause self-damage, only the initial explosion

this is because it was nearly actually impossible to not hurt yourself with the thing when it first came out

Lol, why did they fix this for the Zarr but not the kulstar, where the cluster bombs are even more irregular with the multishot spread shenanigans?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
because it's a feature, not a bug. yay, kulstar!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bazanga posted:

Two questions:

1) dumb as hell. Your priority is usually +dmg, +multishot, 2 elements, boost to crit or status or both, depending on the weapons base stats, then add a quality-of-life upgrade, like extra reload if the reload speed sucks, fire rate, mag size etc.

2) build a balla knife for crit, build a mewan polearm for status, build a cyath machete for crit. They're not must haves, but they are good ways to build an insane kill stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
I love my Arcane Vanguard helm for Rhino; having him be as fast as Loki is just wonderful :D