Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Max Wilco posted:

I'll say that my only experience with Reddit is when doing Google searches for game-related issues (not technical issues, but tips/strategy), and it struck as somewhere where you could find a specific for a specific game or category, and then just drop in and ask about it. I know that doesn't sound like much, but here on SA, the issue I have is that you need to hope there's a thread running based on that topic. Like I wanted to ask about something pertaining to VtM:B, but the thread for it had fallen into the archives, and I couldn't find another thread that really related to it.

The Steam thread is a catch-all for basically anything and everything on Steam so if you asked in there about VtMB there's a pretty good chance you'd get an answer about it. There's also the "what should I know before playing" thread that's basically entirely about collecting tips for new players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
I'm really glad Reddit is around because it looked like so much more footwork finding terrible places back during the weekend web days. Of course, I don't post there but it's basically one stop shopping now. For content, here's my latest neckbeard video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VU5kripuBM

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
r/rarepuppers is good for photos of doggos.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Max Wilco posted:

I'll say that my only experience with Reddit is when doing Google searches for game-related issues (not technical issues, but tips/strategy), and it struck as somewhere where you could find a specific for a specific game or category, and then just drop in and ask about it. I know that doesn't sound like much, but here on SA, the issue I have is that you need to hope there's a thread running based on that topic. Like I wanted to ask about something pertaining to VtM:B, but the thread for it had fallen into the archives, and I couldn't find another thread that really related to it.

thing is anything you can find on reddit, you can find elsewhere. i remember looking for a good blue tongue skink group and various video game groups on reddit but i found a ton of better ones on facebook.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Reddit seems to be the best place for discussion if you follow the kind of stuff that Night Mind covers.

It's not a great place for discussion, because people assume that everything is a Secret Clue, especially filming mistakes, but beggars can't be choosers.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Puppy Time posted:

Reddit seems to be the best place for discussion if you follow the kind of stuff that Night Mind covers.

It's not a great place for discussion, because people assume that everything is a Secret Clue, especially filming mistakes, but beggars can't be choosers.

Reddit is a poo poo place for any kind of discussion because it's layout is awful for following conversation threads and comment chains.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Nuebot posted:

Reddit is a poo poo place for any kind of discussion because it's layout is awful for following conversation threads and comment chains.

Well, yes. "Best" is really a relative term.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Nuebot posted:

:emptyquote:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g97lX2iEOcc

OSW reviewing the first ever WWF Raw.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Puppy Time posted:

Well, yes. "Best" is really a relative term.
I mean 4chan's /x/ board used to be the best back when old 4chan was less nazi infested than current reddit, but that's been a thing of the past for a good long while. It even had a better interface by virtue of just listing things in chronological order until being auto deleted.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

fallenturtle posted:

Does Top Hat Gaming Man have a problem with trans people? I've enjoyed several of his videos but then I've come across a few where he's said questionable things. In this one he's mocking the pronoun thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf85czDkxoY

Pretty much anything Top Hat says in his videos is completely in his heel character anyways but no, not at all

my parents boyfriend posted:

I'm really glad Reddit is around because it looked like so much more footwork finding terrible places back during the weekend web days. Of course, I don't post there but it's basically one stop shopping now. For content, here's my latest neckbeard video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VU5kripuBM

Wow, JonTron's let himself go

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jul 14, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

I mean 4chan's /x/ board used to be the best back when old 4chan was less nazi infested than current reddit, but that's been a thing of the past for a good long while. It even had a better interface by virtue of just listing things in chronological order until being auto deleted.

That’s what sucks, places like /his used to be fun, now is just dipshit nazis spamming.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHReSTzYQME

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I'm glad that Todd released his This Is America review just now because hoooooooly poo poo it's baaaaaaaad.

"What? You just showcased a lot of how black people in general are seen as an entertainment commodity rather than actual people, down to the point of showing all of those aloof figures interspaced with all of that death imagery? But I SAW YOU ON comedy show!!!1 Are yoooou actually saying you're like a druuuug dealler???? AARooorrrwwwwwoooohhhuuuuhhh???!!!"

Kunster fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 15, 2018

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Kunster posted:

I'm glad that Todd released his This Is America review just now because hoooooooly poo poo it's baaaaaaaad.

"What? You just showcased a lot of how black people in general are seen as an entertainment commodity rather than actual people, down to the point of showing all of those aloof figures interspaced with all of that death imagery? But I SAW YOU ON comedy show!!!1 Are yoooou actually saying you're like a druuuug dealler???? AARooorrrwwwwwoooohhhuuuuhhh???!!!"

yeeeeeeeeeeah

Todd's got a lot of really smart, media-literate friends he could have asked to look at his script before shooting. He should've.

"I know this guy! I've watched him on YOUTUBE FOR YEARS!" Todd I've watched you for years and I don't know a single thing about you except for your taste in music, watching someone through the tubes of the internet does not let you know anything about them, personally.

He is right at least that there's a shitton of videos already out on this topic, so I guess his real problem is he doesn't want to sound like he's parroting another person's opinion.

But that leads into the issue of, well, everything else has been said so what do you have left to say?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Kunster posted:

Are yoooou actually saying you're like a druuuug dealler????

This was a blatant joke and not a real criticism so

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I didn't like it either. Seems like a lot of effort to go to when he had nothing at all to say. Why bother, really?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Kunster posted:

Yeah it wasn't good, but his point was about just the song itself not about the video

He should've centered the review around how in his view the song and the video are inseparable instead of his confused shtick

Lessail fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 15, 2018

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

HopperUK posted:

I didn't like it either. Seems like a lot of effort to go to when he had nothing at all to say. Why bother, really?

This is all his pop song reviews in a nutshell

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Personally speaking I've always preferred his One Hit Wonder series, its very informative and it also provides a nice window into American culture when often the big American hit of a band isn't the mega act defining hit in the UK. For me Aha will always be associated with the Suns Always Shines on TV.

I was also a little surprised to learn that Northern Soul hasn't made much of a cross over to the US despite every other northern music wave I can think of doing ok business over there, and you know Soul comes from the US of A to begin with.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Yeah I kinda wish he'd just do One Hit Wonderland and Trainwreckords, but the pop reviews get a lot of views so I know why he still does them.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

New Preston, don't let the Part 4 in the title put you off its pretty stand alone. Just give it a click and let it all wash over you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT2ylPZ_J2g

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

No Small Parts is going away :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFpk77lvz7I

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Can't watch Todd's video yet but it's a pity he didn't just use the time to point to the other artists that have basically made the same song with more meaning, but they were women, LGBT or painted that way, not fashionable enough, didn't make the song catchy enough or the video enough of a meme for people at their times, so welp screw them but oh poo poo Donald Glover made a song and it's like so eye opening guys drat.

https://twitter.com/ivieani/status/1008769531584679936

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 16, 2018

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Mischalaniouse posted:

Yeah I kinda wish he'd just do One Hit Wonderland and Trainwreckords, but the pop reviews get a lot of views so I know why he still does them.

the problem with his pop song reviews right now is that there just isn't a lot to make fun of. his pop song reviews are way better when they are about will.i.am or train or lmfao, music you can laugh about because it's bad in a way that naturally lends itself to comedy. music right now just is not that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
pitting two almost entirely completely different artists of color against each other is for sure not a creepy and weird reaction

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Ah man...

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

More "It sucks rear end that we can't have a 'genius, deep song that SAYS SOMETHING' until it's from a cool enough man to put it through the pop culture lens"

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Yardbomb posted:

More "It sucks rear end that we can't have a 'genius, deep song that SAYS SOMETHING' until it's from a cool enough man to put it through the pop culture lens"

or macklemore lmao

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
also wasn't Monae's album praised pretty much by everyone because it's objectively great?

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011
Yeah, but Make Me Feel was the only single to crack the Billboard Hot 100 and even then just barely at 99.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bit of an odd request. Are there any critics out there who look at old television channels that are either defunct or unrecognizable nowadays? I got thinking about how Discovery Channel used to be compared to the dumpster fire it is now and I got sad. I'm Canadian so I grew up obsessed with Discovery Civilization, which had the best bumper music ever (and it's rebranded Discovery Science is still quite good), but these types of channels just don't seem to exist anymore.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

sexpig by night posted:

also wasn't Monae's album praised pretty much by everyone because it's objectively great?

I feel kinda bad because I like it a lot more than her other albums, and it's the first one that isn't linked to her Metropolis re-imagining multi-album concept.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

this is 100% the right move for him, better to have stable work and pay than languishing on youtube alone under the whims of the almighty algorithm

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Solitair posted:

I feel kinda bad because I like it a lot more than her other albums, and it's the first one that isn't linked to her Metropolis re-imagining multi-album concept.

I like her new album but I really liked the Archandroid/Cindy Mayweather stuff and I'm sad if that's gonna be shelved forever. :(

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Lessail posted:

Yeah it wasn't good, but his point was about just the song itself not about the video

He should've centered the review around how in his view the song and the video are inseparable instead of his confused shtick

Confused is his comedy fallback for everything; just pretend you can't understand the lyrics or the grade-school-level symbolism in a music video and have a wild take. I like his stuff in general but roll my eyes when he falls back on the CinemaSins level of "willful misunderstanding". Like, stay with fluff if you're not willing to go out on a limb to explain or understand something in a video.

Baka-nin posted:

Personally speaking I've always preferred his One Hit Wonder series, its very informative and it also provides a nice window into American culture when often the big American hit of a band isn't the mega act defining hit in the UK. For me Aha will always be associated with the Suns Always Shines on TV.

It's weird when a couple of those one-hit-wonders didn't even cross into Canada. I guess CanCon rules pushed a few of them out for the latest Sloan album or something.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

his One Hit Wonder videos aren't completely free of that poo poo either, just rewatch his One Tin Soldier video

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
what the gently caress is the kissing booth

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Alaois posted:

his One Hit Wonder videos aren't completely free of that poo poo either, just rewatch his One Tin Soldier video

That one made me want to throw something. The original version of that song was CanCon so it played every other hour on the oldies stations my parents would listen to. That one took all of my early grade school wisdom to understand the deep meaning behind it and he goes full DSP trying to understand it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Bit of an odd request. Are there any critics out there who look at old television channels that are either defunct or unrecognizable nowadays? I got thinking about how Discovery Channel used to be compared to the dumpster fire it is now and I got sad. I'm Canadian so I grew up obsessed with Discovery Civilization, which had the best bumper music ever (and it's rebranded Discovery Science is still quite good), but these types of channels just don't seem to exist anymore.

yeah, its loving sad, still better then the history channel somehow.