Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

The Locator posted:

Doesn't even matter. Guy is a billionaire, he shouldn't care what some guy in a different part of the world says about him, and should have a filter on his 'tweets' to the entire world (sort of like - take a few minutes to think about stuff before you open your mouth). Trump needs to do the same thing, because no matter what they both *mean*, what they twitter to the world is often stupid and/or insulting.

You'd think that when you reach a certain level of fame, your PR company would insist you use a special version of Twitter that forwards any tweet to you write to them, so they can make sure they aren't 'accidentally' racist, anti-semetic, misogynistic or an admission to a crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

ilkhan posted:

He called out the specific one who called him out, that musk says wasn't in the area even.

Saying poo poo like he did is firmly out of bounds, full stop

quote:

Trump needs to do the same thing, because no matter what they both *mean*, what they twitter to the world is often stupid and/or insulting.

Except Trump is genuinely a complete fuckwit and what he tweets is exactly the piece of poo poo he always has been.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

spog posted:

You'd think that when you reach a certain level of fame, your PR company would insist you use a special version of Twitter that forwards any tweet to you write to them, so they can make sure they aren't 'accidentally' racist, anti-semetic, misogynistic or an admission to a crime.

That is the smartest Twitter related idea I've ever heard of, so no one who NEEDS to use it would ever use it

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Rhyno posted:

I dunno, I kind of find that he is that petty on twitter to be mildly hilarious. Like, he should be fixing his production issues but nope, gotta tweet.

It's exactly how Musk is irl, so far removed from reality. Nobody gives a poo poo about him and his legacy which is why he's so desperate to not be wrong. On the internet.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Ugh. I hate not having a vehicle. It wouldn't be a problem, but I got called into work for a meeting. An Uber is $30 both ways. I thought I could be slick and rent a truck from uhaul, but with the mileage it's the same. Rentals through Costco are like $80. Yay.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

QuarkMartial posted:

Ugh. I hate not having a vehicle. It wouldn't be a problem, but I got called into work for a meeting. An Uber is $30 both ways. I thought I could be slick and rent a truck from uhaul, but with the mileage it's the same. Rentals through Costco are like $80. Yay.

drat, what the hell happened to rental pricing?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rhyno posted:

drat, what the hell happened to rental pricing?

Competition happened, and as is the standard operating procedure of a company with an outdated business model, they raised prices to compensate for falling revenues.

Zipcar, Uber, Lyft and Car2go are all eating the traditional rental companies' lunch.

You used to be able to get an economy car from Budget or Enterprise for like $10 a day on weekends now it's up to like $40 a day.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Yeah, it's ridiculous. Also, I wasn't clear earlier: an Uber is $30 both ways, i.e. $60 round trip. Situations are stupid. I think I'm going to Uber there and have my wife pick me up when she gets off. I can't keep her car because it doesn't fit our schedules.

Lame.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

QuarkMartial posted:

This is why I laugh when people say people don't need a vehicle.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

The Locator posted:

Doesn't even matter. Guy is a billionaire, he shouldn't care what some guy in a different part of the world says about him, and should have a filter on his 'tweets' to the entire world (sort of like - take a few minutes to think about stuff before you open your mouth). Trump needs to do the same thing, because no matter what they both *mean*, what they twitter to the world is often stupid and/or insulting.

To be fair, being rich doesn't mean you stop being a human being and getting steamed when someone is very publically rude as gently caress about you. Calling him a pedo was really childish though.

The greater mystery to me is why Twitter is something that exists at all, its only function seems to be a platform for people to be nasty to each other on.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

ilkhan posted:

This is why I laugh when people say people don't need a vehicle.

Depends entirely on where you live and work. Here in the Phoenix area I can't imagine how I would survive without a car, but in some downtown areas in some cities, there are people who do just fine without one.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Kid down the street is probbo buying my Saturn, and I got the missus a CX-5 which is extremely nice (I got to work on its infotainment system a long while ago too :mrgw:) and now I’m driving her old G6 until we save up enough to buy me a car

Hopefully they get a better engine in the 2019/2020 STI, otherwise imma lust after the last model year of EVO’s

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Kid down the street is probbo buying my Saturn, and I got the missus a CX-5 which is extremely nice (I got to work on its infotainment system a long while ago too :mrgw:) and now I’m driving her old G6 until we save up enough to buy me a car

Hopefully they get a better engine in the 2019/2020 STI, otherwise imma lust after the last model year of EVO’s

Get an AZ-1.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Grakkus posted:

To be fair, being rich doesn't mean you stop being a human being and getting steamed when someone is very publically rude as gently caress about you. Calling him a pedo was really childish though.

The greater mystery to me is why Twitter is something that exists at all, its only function seems to be a platform for people to be nasty to each other on.

You would think the more high profile you are the less you would be interested in any social media, but then you remember most of these people are famous for a reason, they are all little babies that need attention and affirmation 24/7 on a daily basis.

I can't stand social media now as a poor pleb, if i were rich and/or famous I would avoid it like the loving plague and slap anyone that suggested I use it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I can't stand social media now as a poor pleb, if i were rich and/or famous I would avoid it like the loving plague and slap anyone that suggested I use it.

This is actually key advice nearly any wealth management lawyer will tell you.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

STR posted:

And you ain't kidding on it being a hot motherfucker - it's several feet away, and there's a noticeable temperature difference near it. This is definitely NOT a machine that I would leave on 24/7 unless I had a monster HVAC unit and a full bank account.

Sounds like you need to rip the guts out and replace them with something semi modern, then do a hackintosh install. Even something like a Core2 Duo or first gen i5 would run laps around the current hardware without also functioning as a space heater.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Aaaand the AC in my wife's car went out!

Thankfully, we purchased an extended warranty and it appears to be covered.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
love2shill4billionaires

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

The last model year evos are poo. Get a subuttroo imo.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

have you considered not buying a lovely car?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ilkhan posted:

He called out the specific one who called him out, that musk says wasn't in the area even.

Hmm, I dunno Ol' Musky, I wonder why you didn't see someone who was diving into that cave 20 hours of the day to support those kids while you were there to drop off your junktube.

What could the connection be :thunk:

Hang on, I've got a bigger one.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Grakkus posted:

I've learned to ruthlessly purge any politics or celebrity-adjacent follows, and now use Twitter for its obvious original use, given the name and logo. Birds.

https://twitter.com/xeropls/status/999043774876614657

https://twitter.com/ayapiyo140/status/944427089054244864

https://twitter.com/pakushi1987/status/761832119005945856

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Elmnt80 posted:

The last model year evos are poo. Get a subuttroo imo.

Aw :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Buy a Tesla.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Is it possible to like a company but hate the CEO? Like, Tesla? I love SpaceX, too, and think they're a huge game changer and have spurred a stagnant industry, and for all of Tesla's problems at least they've put a marquee in the public consciousness that equates electric-only vehicles and that's good for public perception of viability. But goddamn if Elon Musk went from "oh yeah baby" to "wtf bro" in like two weeks. Plus gently caress Tesla in general for their business practices and vertical integration model of abandonment. But it's better than ten years ago.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Elon Musk is actually Lex Luthor before the accident.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
My knowledge of superman lore, and lex luthor in particular, is "forty cakes," that then got devolved into "forty keks," which then got further devolved into .

So I guess it can be true?

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 16, 2018

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

My knowledge of superman lore, and lex luthor in particular, is "forty cakes," that then got devolved into "forty keks," which then got further devolved into .

And that's terrible.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Well, it is as many as four tens.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Is it possible to like a company but hate the CEO?

I like Discount Tire for their prices and customer service, but abhor the founder, and the company's political leanings.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Of course it is. SpaceX is doing some truly amazing poo poo and Tesla have also been a real gamechanger, especailly showing how an EV can be not just viable but desireable.

Musk on the other hand.... A Grade rear end in a top hat.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I like how Musk calls someone a paedophile whilst simultaneously dating someone who looks like a child.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I like how Musk calls someone a paedophile whilst simultaneously dating someone who looks like a child.

and is 17 years his junior

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Holy gently caress, got a Google notification that the new Tool album is finally out, year loving redeemed! ...wait, who the hell is 'TOOL$'? Oh, some shithead soundcloud rapper you say? Cool, just the thing I care about!

Never had such severe mood whiplash in my entire life.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

spog posted:

and is 17 years his junior

15 unless the internet is lying to me. He's 47 and she's 32. When they got together at the end of his first marriage it was 22 and 37 I suppose, which seems worse because of the lower ages, but still - who really cares?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

I think that my opinion of CEOs in general ranges from indifference to hatred. I think I would be hard-pressed to name a company that I use that I have a positive opinion about the CEO.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

spog posted:

I think that my opinion of CEOs in general ranges from indifference to hatred. I think I would be hard-pressed to name a company that I use that I have a positive opinion about the CEO.

Costco?

He pays employees a living wage with benefits and stuff, and has also

quote:

“Not everybody gets as excited about pizza and hot dogs as I do,” chief executive Craig Jelinek told shareholders in January.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Powershift posted:

Costco?

He pays employees a living wage with benefits and stuff, and has also

But... but... but... POLISH DOGS. :argh:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seminal Flu posted:

But... but... but... POLISH DOGS. :argh:

You can still get a hot dog and soda for $1.50 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I think I've met 2 British people who lived in Thailand and both had Thai wives/girlfriends who were significantly younger than them so the stereotype is true.

However, paedophile seems a bit of a strong generalisation especially coming from a man like Musk with a much younger girlfriend!

• Locked thread