Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
obligatory pussy shrapnel reference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
My C5 is going to need tires soon. It comes factory with Goodyear F1 GS EMT 275/40R18 in the back. Since they're about $350 each, I've kicked around getting Continentals, but since Corvettes have no spare, I'm hesitant to not get the run flats.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

EvilBeard posted:

My C5 is going to need tires soon. It comes factory with Goodyear F1 GS EMT 275/40R18 in the back. Since they're about $350 each, I've kicked around getting Continentals, but since Corvettes have no spare, I'm hesitant to not get the run flats.

Anything but runflats. They are rock hard trash even brand new. Swapping them out on my C5 made a huge difference.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Gamesguy posted:

How's the ride comfort/noise on those? I'm looking to replace my crappy OEM P Zero all seasons soon(the rear 275s are worn at barely 10k miles) and would like a grand touring tire. Right now I've got it narrowed down to P7s, the Firehawks, and P Zero all season plus which is supposedly significantly improved over what I have now.

I'm in SoCal so weather isn't an issue.

Don’t get all seasons in SoCal. Go summers.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

If you're daily driving, no shame in a high performance or ultra high performance all-season. They'll give better wear life, ride, bang for buck. If this is a weekend car, absolutely go summer tire.

Either way, invest in roadside assistance and ditch the run flats.

P7s are an excellent choice as are any Continental not used as an OEM.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

EvilBeard posted:

The F1s are terrible.
PSS are slighty cheaper than the PS4s, and I think cheaper than that F1 size. Yeah, I just got AAA and hoped I get lucky with strandings.
The difference is grip and feel is substantial.

doogle
May 24, 2003

doogle fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 15, 2018

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Factory tires are for suckers.

I ran summer rubber year round in Florida. I usually got 20-25k out of a set of tires on a WRX.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

The F1s are terrible.
PSS are slighty cheaper than the PS4s, and I think cheaper than that F1 size. Yeah, I just got AAA and hoped I get lucky with strandings.

Eagle F1 aysys are amazing wtf?!
I pay about £50 a corner less than ps4s’ and run them as road tyre on all my cars. Really like them a lot

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Bape Culture posted:

I pay about £50 a corner less than ps4s’ and run them as road tyre on all my cars. Really like them a lot

The F1 stock tire for the C5 is terrible. I assume that it's the same model on my C5Z, but maybe there's better ones.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

The F1 stock tire for the C5 is terrible. I assume that it's the same model on my C5Z, but maybe there's better ones.

It is and they are. The F1 Bape is talking about is different than the runflat version.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

The F1s are terrible.

I'll look into Continentals (my dad has them on his C5) and the PS4s. I just didn't know if I should shell out $1200 for tires alone.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

EvilBeard posted:

I'll look into Continentals (my dad has them on his C5) and the PS4s. I just didn't know if I should shell out $1200 for tires alone.

For the right tires, absolutely. I think you should be able to get close to the best for $1000.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

EvilBeard posted:

If you're going to track it then that seems in the high end of right. Good tires go a loooong way.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Tire chat has been helpful. The Firehawk Indy 500s look just about perfect for what I want. I wish the General G-Max RS had been out longer so there were some reviews of it. Maybe I'll go for them anyway, I've really liked all the other Generals I've had.

I had to go up north on Saturday. On my way back I stopped at Franconia Notch State Park.

theCops
Aug 13, 2004

Dave Inc. posted:

A spun bearing at 33k? For serious?

EJ25s are famous for ringland failure and spun rod bearings. my 2015 STi is on its 3rd short block (maybe even long block) at 29k on the chassis. got it at 14.5k, it blew at 26.8k, replaced under warranty, but that was not easy or timely. it originally blew at 6.5k, not sure why

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You have balls owning that hand grenade

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Gigi Galli posted:

If you're going to track it then that seems in the high end of right. Good tires go a loooong way.

I just didn't know if I should shell out more for the Eagle F1s, or go with something in the same ballpark that's probably a better tire but not runflat. It's about $200 cheaper for Continentals or PSs.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Gamesguy posted:

How's the ride comfort/noise on those? I'm looking to replace my crappy OEM P Zero all seasons soon(the rear 275s are worn at barely 10k miles) and would like a grand touring tire. Right now I've got it narrowed down to P7s, the Firehawks, and P Zero all season plus which is supposedly significantly improved over what I have now.

I'm in SoCal so weather isn't an issue.

So far so good but they are way more on the side of an ultra performance summer tire than a all season. I replaced some Bridgestone RE050s and are super satisfied.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Had some drat good weather over the weekend so got both rides out and about.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Tires are the only part of your vehicle that touch the ground. Get good ones.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.

Thinking about buying an ls/gs 400/430 to have something quieter and more comfortable as a third vehicle. Finally got most of the tuning done on this thing. Im still kinda scared to strap it to a dyno. (5.3/lsa blower)

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Tires are the only part of your vehicle that touch the ground. Get good ones.

But if you put cheap Chinese tyres on a Hilux 2wd ute you can hilarious amounts of fun on roundabouts at 20km/h in the wet...

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Just going to throw my hat in the ring for Yokohama Advans, best tire ever.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
I dunno if this is appropriate in this thread, but I can't find an exact place for it and I enjoy the posts in here.

I have 2014 Forte EX GTI daily and a 1950 Plymouth Special Deluxe that mostly stays put (working on getting a trailer). I don't really want to do anything extravagant to my daily and I'm keeping the 50 the way my grandpa did (stock).

Many years ago I had a mid 90s Mustang that was a lot of fun, as well as an Eagle Talon. I enjoyed working on these cars, and they really helped me gain an introduction to do a lot of simple fixes with cars.

I want a project as a hobby. I want it to be cheap and easy to work on. The problem I'm having is making up my mind. 90's Mustang, Miata, Civic, Golf, Integra, and many more continue to be on lists everywhere at the "under 5k" option. Any opinions on what to go with?

Edit: I should also note that I'm 6 2. I know sports cars in general do not fit me very well, but if something is smaller than average it may be a no go.

I also want a manual.

Vital Signs fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 16, 2018

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Miata Is Always The Answer.

Seriously, convertible, huge aftermarket, cheap and easy to fix.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms
Miata is probably the answer but one people always forget about is a retired Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor.

You can get one for under 5k easy, parts are everywhere and cheap. Easy to work on and you get a V8. Downside is that its automatic and people will assume you have some sort of cop fantasy and you might find people around you suddenly start driving slower.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
All Miatas rule. Even NCs.

SHUT UP.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Miata Is Always The Answer.

Seriously, convertible, huge aftermarket, cheap and easy to fix.
Just edited. Is height going to be an issue? Typical sports car or worse?

Loanarn posted:

Miata is probably the answer but one people always forget about is a retired Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor.

You can get one for under 5k easy, parts are everywhere and cheap. Easy to work on and you get a V8. Downside is that its automatic and people will assume you have some sort of cop fantasy and you might find people around you suddenly start driving slower.
Also edited that I would like a manual. These cars are sweet as hell for a cheap V8 though!

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

SFH1989 posted:

Tire chat has been helpful.

Since we're on tire chat, I love the Tire Rack warranty for whoever that guy is looking for tires

I've gotten 3 tires replaced under it, and the last pair I bought from them both got replaced (sheer unluckiness) so I literally got a set of PSS rears for free. No hassles or questions, friendly CS, good for like 2 years

Also: runflats absolutely blow they're total trash, roadside assistance is where it's at, 5 miles is a joke carry at least the 100 it'll pay out over your lifetime if you're a car guy. And I'd def run summer all year round over All Seasons if you can, e.g. CA. It's not much NVH difference and way more benefits, esp. you like starting and stopping on a dime

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Rhyno posted:

All Miatas rule. Even NCs.

SHUT UP.
Go on.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I fit better in an NC so NCs are cool and good.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
In roadrace use, NCs are more durable in a lot of ways - bigger brakes, and with RX-8 hubs, much much more durable bearings.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

mekilljoydammit posted:

In roadrace use, NCs are more durable in a lot of ways - bigger brakes, and with RX-8 hubs, much much more durable bearings.

To further expand on this, a lot of RX-8 chassis/suspension components are a direct bolt-on upgrade to NC's.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

McTinkerson posted:

To further expand on this, a lot of RX-8 chassis/suspension components are a direct bolt-on upgrade to NC's.

Others of them are basically the same too. But MX5 Cup had some upgrades that have trickled into legality in SCCA that improves durability by swapping RX-8 hubs over is all. Other than that the car my dad and I share has just been a matter of replacing brake pads and stuff that we gently caress up.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Can you find cheap NCs though? 2005 is venturing out of my 5k or less goal I would think. Most of the Miatas I've seen for a couple grand are 90s.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Wrar posted:

I fit better in an NC so NCs are cool and good.

are they a better fit for tall dudes than NA cars? i raced in a NA spec miata and it was very uncomfortable

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Bape Culture posted:

I recently got some of these and by all accounts are good poo poo.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
If what you want is a project car, just get a Miata then make the project putting a bigger engine in it. Alternatively just grab a convertible Mustang GT for good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

davebo posted:

If what you want is a project car, just get a Miata then make the project putting a bigger engine in it. Alternatively just grab a convertible Mustang GT for good times.

New edge mustangs are starting to look mighty attractive.