Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

ijyt posted:

I caught my first ditto a day before I got to the mythical research asking for a ditto.

:negative:

Pretty sure this happens to everyone. I also caught a Ditto the day before I unlocked the quest, then I didn't see another one for a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Robokomodo posted:

One of the quests to get Celebi is to catch 7 unowns. Yeah right.

Hopefully that was just go fest stuff.

hey maybe it means they will buff up the spawn rate on unowns. at least, i sure hope they do at some point, as nobody in the local raid groups have spotted one anywhere in my area since fuckin january.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

hey maybe it means they will buff up the spawn rate on unowns. at least, i sure hope they do at some point, as nobody in the local raid groups have spotted one anywhere in my area since fuckin january.

It has now been 6 months since the last time anyone has seen around here. Caught one mid January and that’s been it for 2018. I understand it’s supposed to be ultra rare but drat.... I’ve caught more tyranitars in the Wild than I have Unown!!

Zydrate
Jun 28, 2011
This game is just so much more enjoyable during events. Going from super spawn rates of Feebas, trapinch, snorunt, whalemer, and gen 2 starters back to oh look a natu and a rat every hour just blows. They need to come up with a better balance. Also where the poo poo are ghosts. Got my ditto 2 weeks ago and not a single ghost spawn.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Robokomodo posted:

One of the quests to get Celebi is to catch 7 unowns. Yeah right.

Hopefully that was just go fest stuff.

The special research was done specifically for Go Fest, so I seriously doubt it'll be the same when Celebi is released globally.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
It would be extremely funny to do a worldwide release of the celebi quest with no modifications and just keep arguing it's supposed to be rare

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

DizzyBum posted:

Pretty sure this happens to everyone. I also caught a Ditto the day before I unlocked the quest, then I didn't see another one for a month.

It took me forever to get a Ditto, and since I completed that level I caught 7 of them last week. I hate this game.

(brb out walking my buddy)

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Game is weird. I caught 2 shiny Plusle and 4 shiny Minun. Wife got 0 and we were at all the same places.

I've got 9 shiny Roselia, wife has 0. Same thing.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Zydrate posted:

This game is just so much more enjoyable during events. Going from super spawn rates of Feebas, trapinch, snorunt, whalemer, and gen 2 starters back to oh look a natu and a rat every hour just blows. They need to come up with a better balance. Also where the poo poo are ghosts. Got my ditto 2 weeks ago and not a single ghost spawn.

Yeah I didn't realise this was a 2 day thing. Goodbye forever, alolan geodude.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

mastershakeman posted:

It would be extremely funny to do a worldwide release of the celebi quest with no modifications and just keep arguing it's supposed to be rare

i think they should greatly increase the spawn rate of unown and the last step is to catch every form of unown for celebi to appear. it'd even tie in to the main series' lore and everything.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i think they should greatly increase the spawn rate of unown and the last step is to catch every form of unown for celebi to appear. it'd even tie in to the main series' lore and everything.

Nah. There's tons of nerds who shout that it's totally fine to have this game have super low spawns for good stuff because it's supposed to be rare, all while they implicitly think they'll be able to get it. Making celebi technically possible to get with a bunch of unown catches would be with it for the hypocritical tears

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

There's tons of nerds who shout that it's totally fine to have this game have super low spawns for good stuff because it's supposed to be rare, all while they implicitly think they'll be able to get it.

These kind of people want it to be "technically possible at my exact level of dedication, so I can get it, but lord over people who put less time into the game". I play the game quite a lot, but there are some seriously dedicated people around here. Like, playing 13+ hours a day, walking around through the night to search for shinies while an event's on..

I got (semi-faux) told off in the local discord yesterday for saying I'd "finally" caught a shiny Wailmer, after catching every one I'd seen for months, because some people had checked 4-6 times that number without one.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Froist posted:

These kind of people want it to be "technically possible at my exact level of dedication, so I can get it, but lord over people who put less time into the game". I play the game quite a lot, but there are some seriously dedicated people around here. Like, playing 13+ hours a day, walking around through the night to search for shinies while an event's on..

I got (semi-faux) told off in the local discord yesterday for saying I'd "finally" caught a shiny Wailmer, after catching every one I'd seen for months, because some people had checked 4-6 times that number without one.

This game is great because no one can ever be happy for someone else catching a shiny.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I'll probably catch a shiny Wailmer now because I finally gave up and evolved a regular one to fill out my Pokedex

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i caught a shiny wailmer during articuno day. decent ivs, too (80%), though low level. still gonna power it up to level 30 when i can, after it is evolved, and leave it in random gyms.

also my local raid group is pretty chill and plenty happy for other people when they catch shinies. there was one dickhead but nobody liked him and now he just spoofs everything and never leaves the house; my counter for this has been to have us start a public lobby, and if he joins we start the fight and then immediately leave and form a private group, wasting his raid passes. i was not there for either of these, but apparently the group did this twice to him for ex raids.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Imo most shinies are uglier anyway :shrug:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i caught a shiny wailmer during articuno day. decent ivs, too (80%), though low level. still gonna power it up to level 30 when i can, after it is evolved, and leave it in random gyms.

also my local raid group is pretty chill and plenty happy for other people when they catch shinies. there was one dickhead but nobody liked him and now he just spoofs everything and never leaves the house; my counter for this has been to have us start a public lobby, and if he joins we start the fight and then immediately leave and form a private group, wasting his raid passes. i was not there for either of these, but apparently the group did this twice to him for ex raids.

Lol this is pro tier griefing

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I somehow didn't even know spoofing was a thing - I guess that might be an explanation for how gyms inside the mall near my place get turned over in the middle of the night when the doors are all locked. I always assumed there was some nighttime security guard or cleaning person that was just really dedicated to stealing gyms, but spoofing probably makes just as much sense.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Spoofing used to be insanely easy in the beginning of the game - you literally just downloaded a GPS spoofer. They've made it harder and tried to implement things that penalize you if you're caught spoofing (i.e. you can't evolve a Pokemon you caught if the game notices a 3rd party app running at the same time that could be used to change your location), but people keep getting around it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

seiferguy posted:

Spoofing used to be insanely easy in the beginning of the game - you literally just downloaded a GPS spoofer. They've made it harder and tried to implement things that penalize you if you're caught spoofing (i.e. you can't evolve a Pokemon you caught if the game notices a 3rd party app running at the same time that could be used to change your location), but people keep getting around it.

Yeah I talked with some extended family and they had to spoof to their first ever ex pass invite and said it was crazy easy. And since Mewtwo doesn't involve who cares if that's the penalty

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!

DizzyBum posted:

I just finished the ghost quest last week after two months of hunting for them. I've seen 3 ghosts in the past 4 days, all in broad daylight...

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I somehow didn't even know spoofing was a thing - I guess that might be an explanation for how gyms inside the mall near my place get turned over in the middle of the night when the doors are all locked. I always assumed there was some nighttime security guard or cleaning person that was just really dedicated to stealing gyms, but spoofing probably makes just as much sense.

It might be spoofing or just plain old drifting. On my android phone my pogo dude runs up to 300m to any direction from home. It hits a bunch of pokestops which is nice, but sadly no gyms. Reallt close though.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Do incubators and storage upgrades ever go on sale? Tried googling it but all the results I saw were talking about special event bundle sales that included them. Just curious if they get any cheaper on any kind of semi-regular basis.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

ijyt posted:

Imo most shinies are uglier anyway :shrug:

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 16, 2018

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Do incubators and storage upgrades ever go on sale? Tried googling it but all the results I saw were talking about special event bundle sales that included them. Just curious if they get any cheaper on any kind of semi-regular basis.

The big box right now.

Edit: not storage, though. They may give some away as they add Mons.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

THERE IT IS !! THERE T IS !!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Beachcomber posted:

The big box right now.

Edit: not storage, though. They may give some away as they add Mons.

Ah, yeah I saw the box but I just want to buy incubators, I don't really have a need for the ultra balls / berries / raid passes, etc.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Butterfly Valley posted:

Lol this is pro tier griefing

to give more context to how poo poo this dude is, he had been spoofing since the game dropped and was using the internet to find dratini nests (back when dratinis still nested). queue him having a bazillion dragonites everywhere, which made people irritated with him as he'd use them to hold down gyms all over town. but, he still did actually play the game proper sometimes, which is how people knew who it was.

where the poo poo hit the fan was when ex raids were introduced. it's pretty easy to figure out which gyms do and do not have the potential for ex passes, so this rear end in a top hat decided to take every gym in town and hold all of them down 24/7 with maxed out blisseys and (potentially through botting? is this a thing?) healing them whenever the gyms were being battled, even at gently caress 'o clock in the morning. this was the point that people went from irritated but ultimately sorta tolerant of him to outright making GBS threads on him when he would show up in person, as well as kicking him out of the town group chat and the discord that covers the entire region. after the first ex raid he showed up to, in which he did get in as it's hard to do private lobbies that exclude someone when the person is there, he mostly disappeared from playing in person, but he still holds down those same gyms virtually all the time. the raid group itself stopped trying to take back those gyms to deny him those coins, though i'm sure he prolly still gets 50 a day from out-of-town gyms or whatever. he's also been reported by everyone in town multiple times, including one instance where video evidence was used to prove that he was nowhere near where they were while he took a gym, but i guess he must spend an assload of money on pogo and so niantic doesn't want to boot him.

dude sucks.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 16, 2018

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
What a dick

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

gently caress

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm pretty anyone who's played in Seattle knows of that asshat named GymTopper (did he get banned yet?). Dude spoofed for nests then took over every gym in DT Seattle and shaved himself into gyms as well. Literally everyone was reporting him.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

oddium posted:

THERE IT IS !! THERE T IS !!

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!
YEAAAAAAAAAH
I FOUND IT!!!

That kid was more excited for that Ponyta than I will ever be about anything in my entire life.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Beachcomber posted:

Game is weird. I caught 2 shiny Plusle and 4 shiny Minun. Wife got 0 and we were at all the same places.

I've got 9 shiny Roselia, wife has 0. Same thing.

I'm getting this too. I only really play with my roommate; he's found three shiny Minuns/Plusles in the last few days, and when I click on the same one, it's not shiny. My understanding was that a 'mon would be seeded as shiny or not globally when it spawned, but this seems to no longer be the case? Or was I just misinformed?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Ah, yeah I saw the box but I just want to buy incubators, I don't really have a need for the ultra balls / berries / raid passes, etc.

The previous box was better, iirc. 12 incubators for that price. Still, if you throw everything else away you're still coming out ahead. Also, why wouldn't you want ultra balls?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
...I never clicked on those boxes or thought to look them up, I assumed they were some kind of lootbox that Niantic had added to the game :doh:

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

aniviron posted:

I'm getting this too. I only really play with my roommate; he's found three shiny Minuns/Plusles in the last few days, and when I click on the same one, it's not shiny. My understanding was that a 'mon would be seeded as shiny or not globally when it spawned, but this seems to no longer be the case? Or was I just misinformed?

You were misinformed. The only thing that is similar between people is the IVs, if the players are level 30+. Shininess is not global except from those catch 5 squirtle quests that were tied to specific stops. IVs aren't even global in raids, only guaranteed to be 10/10/10 or better.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

aniviron posted:

You're misinformed. Shinyness is unique for each player. Still, that really sucks. I'm planning to trade some shinies to the wife when we're finally best friends, so maybe be extra nice to your roommate for the next 90 days.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Shiny Minun is cool, shiny Plusle is lame. Shinies should have a noticeable color difference and if possible as garish as possible or they need to go back to the drawing board :colbert:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Macaluso posted:

Shiny Minun is cool, shiny Plusle is lame. Shinies should have a noticeable color difference and if possible as garish as possible or they need to go back to the drawing board :colbert:

Let me welcome you into a world of fluorescent green.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I caught a shiny Gible in Moon, didn't notice at first, it's so similar. It's just like 2 hex values off all the way to Garchomp. However, when it mega evolves, it goes bright magenta, and is awesome.

But yeah shiny plusle is dumb.

• Locked thread