Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dancer
May 23, 2011
An early weak-ish scum read that jumped at me is Yami.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Fairly sure it's the later. It's Anidav.

Yami Fenrir posted:

At this point I'm fairly sure Anidav is either talking complete bullshit in a way that doesn't feel natural to me at all (insta win cards in a mafia game, seriously?) or he knows something we don't.

##vote Anidav

Yami Fenrir posted:

##unvote

So you do know something not everyone does. Still seems unlikely that non-interactive instawin bullshit is actually in the game but I can at least see where you're coming from now.

These are 3 almost-consecutive posts, with not that much happening in the middle. Anidav did write some clarifications, but those were things that a reasonable person could've surmised that he meant from his earlier statements. Wouldn't vote Yami over Anidav, but the read is there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Anpu voting for no-lynch I might understand, I can't quite read his behaviour, he always seems weird, but I expect more from B-man. Given the prompt, let's read him.

... Not a lot to read there. In hindsight, I can believe that his vote was a joke; I can assume good faith there. Where it becomes harder to assume good faith is his absence. If you asked me to name one player who lurks a lot more when they're scum than town, Bee would be that player. He also claimed VT, entirely unprompted, unless I'm missing something.

Conclusion: scum read

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sorry for sleeping through the game so far, Octopath Traveler consumed my weekend. I tried to read through and catch up with the thread but shockingly I'm still a bit confused. I'll try to go through stuff and get some actual reads before work is over. First instinct on Anidav is town but I want to re-read.

Also Nep I'm not gonna go back and find the post but you played in DBZ mafia you should know better than to speculate on what a competent mod would do with design in a nat20 game

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Yami Fenrir posted:

You know what, I just realized:

AA wasn't nearly as friendly with people that were suspicious of him in persona.

Scum AA confirmed, buddying up 'n stuff.

My meta changes with my mood and that's pretty erratic. The only constant is that I'm shitlord skimmer.

Also that's the flimsiest reasoning, but I think you're joking.

Nep acting like their original case was a test is suspicious and unbelievable. Would vote nep, would vote ani.

If nep never backpedaled I'd be ok with them, but the backpedaling makes me feel like they were just trying to make bif look bad at the time and now that it's been called out are trying to frame it in some other light.

All these people tossing down suspicion on me lol too cute

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

Dancer posted:

Anpu voting for no-lynch I might understand, I can't quite read his behaviour, he always seems weird, but I expect more from B-man. Given the prompt, let's read him.

... Not a lot to read there. In hindsight, I can believe that his vote was a joke; I can assume good faith there. Where it becomes harder to assume good faith is his absence. If you asked me to name one player who lurks a lot more when they're scum than town, Bee would be that player. He also claimed VT, entirely unprompted, unless I'm missing something.

Conclusion: scum read

All valid points. I’m lurking more than usual as town.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

I'm going to briefly interrupt my reading of the rest of the game to slam down a ##vote AA. Entirely independent of whether you're scum or not, if we as a community develop a meta where that kind of posting gets you insta-lynched, that can only be a good thing.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

If nep never backpedaled I'd be ok with them, but the backpedaling makes me feel like they were just trying to make bif look bad at the time and now that it's been called out are trying to frame it in some other light.

Hey now, I didn't backpedal. I still think bif could be scum and I quite clearly stated that what was manufactured in my case was the emphasis, not the case itself. I've liked her posting since, enough that I think it's worth voting someone else today.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Dancer posted:

I'm going to briefly interrupt my reading of the rest of the game to slam down a ##vote AA. Entirely independent of whether you're scum or not, if we as a community develop a meta where that kind of posting gets you insta-lynched, that can only be a good thing.

This is an idiotic vote, but I'm used to dying D1 without any logic or effort behind it so please, continue on.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

My meta changes with my mood and that's pretty erratic. The only constant is that I'm shitlord skimmer.

Also that's the flimsiest reasoning, but I think you're joking.

Nep acting like their original case was a test is suspicious and unbelievable. Would vote nep, would vote ani.

It was.

We have been coming to similar enough thoughts and conclusion that voting you further would be pretty dishonest. I'm starting to think I'm just naturally suspicious of you even if you're town. I'll unvote for now.

##unvote

Come to think of it, I felt like the timing of Nep's post was weird in some fashion at the time. It came out out of left field for me, but upon review it happened when pressure was mounting on Anidav, but posting momentarily hit a lull.

Maybe that timing was intentional?

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Nep-Nep posted:

Actually Humalong has the right of it. My case on Bif was manufactured to a degree. I came into the thread, got caught up, saw there was a lot of two-way between Anidav and KK and I wanted to poke Bif to see:

1. How she reacted
2. How others reacted.

Now, I'm not saying I didn't believe in my case. It wasn't a complete fabrication, but I stressed some points a little harder, particularly the part where I voted.

I don't think anybody has strongly agreed or disagreed with my case or her counter case, but I'm bothered by AA's reaction to it. "Having a look at this I like this case, but actually I think they're both town, now how about we vote for someone else?" is a stance I've taken before as town.

I think AA is a good vote today.

##vote AA

You meant to say scum here?

Yeah, because I am town and defused what I thought might have been the start of a slapfight knowing how manic Bif gets when she feels attacked and how a newer player might interpret "bifness" to being scum.

So OK.

Yami, I'm starting to feel petulant, perhaps this should align more with your meta read of me?

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

This is an idiotic vote, but I'm used to dying D1 without any logic or effort behind it so please, continue on.

Agreed. Wow I need to read Dancer, because his recent posts are scummy AF.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

b-minus1 posted:

His recent posts is all of his posts, pretty much. So you have the full picture.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Yeah, because I am town and defused what I thought might have been the start of a slapfight knowing how manic Bif gets when she feels attacked and how a newer player might interpret "bifness" to being scum.

So OK.

Yami, I'm starting to feel petulant, perhaps this should align more with your meta read of me?

Your posts are more in line what I expected now, yeah. I did unvote just now.

Would you mind giving me your thoughts on dancers reads just now? I'm worried about being biased because I'm being targeted in them, but they seem... weird.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

So OK.

That is a sensible defense.

##unvote

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Yami Fenrir posted:

Your posts are more in line what I expected now, yeah. I did unvote just now.

Would you mind giving me your thoughts on dancers reads just now? I'm worried about being biased because I'm being targeted in them, but they seem... weird.

I think Dancer made a really bad vote on me. It doesn't actually make sense and is clear indication that they aren't trying to solve the game.

Would vote Anidav, Nep, Dancer in that order because that order provides us Most to Least amount of info, IMO.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
Yeah this is AAs town game

Dancer
May 23, 2011

I think Dancer made a really bad vote on me. It doesn't actually make sense and is clear indication that they aren't trying to solve the game.

Would vote Anidav, Nep, Dancer in that order because that order provides us Most to Least amount of info, IMO.

It is possible for people to multi-task you know. I am reading and reading and trying to figure stuff out, but a game is a fundamentally social endeavour, and when someone says something as anti-socially douchy as that thing you said up there, I don't see why I can't also offer some negative incentives to that behaviour. Yes, in the grand scheme of things, if a significant portion of this community came around to my way of thinking, town win-rate would decrease slightly, but game enjoyment would increase and I'll gladly take that trade.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

b-minus1 posted:

really? I thought he was making a very good showing to make up for his earlier absence.

and he had a point about you.

##vote B-

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Dancer posted:

It is possible for people to multi-task you know. I am reading and reading and trying to figure stuff out, but a game is a fundamentally social endeavour, and when someone says something as anti-socially douchy as that thing you said up there, I don't see why I can't also offer some negative incentives to that behaviour. Yes, in the grand scheme of things, if a significant portion of this community came around to my way of thinking, town win-rate would decrease slightly, but game enjoyment would increase and I'll gladly take that trade.

I didn't know being incredulous about suspicion was anti-social and douchy lol

I think you're a several games too early to make such a broad-generalization about my play, much less the nature of mafia in this community.

If you've distilled the sum of my contributions to one sentence in a post, then you aren't playing a town-oriented game, sorry pal, hope this helps.

I've bolded the bits that are facetious and douchy for future reference :smugwizard:

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Before I get in a big ol' stinky slapfight.

My conviction most strongly rests on Anidav who may or may not be absent due to obligation/time zones

Second up is on Nep who made a weird bif case, came back stating some weird criteria for gauging the responses, and last is Dancer who only at mod provocation has appeared to catch up lest they run the risk of the lurker gun.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

Dancer posted:

In the big debate, I find myself holding a firmly anti-Anidav position, primarily because of his (to my eyes) massive backpedal, first claiming he also has an alternative wincon, then reverting to claiming town. I think there's a significant chance that he's 3P, not scum, but even a 3P lynch wouldn't be terrible. If he's scum, that's only a big bonus. Worst case scenario, he's town, and we have actually gained information on the set-up (I'm working here on the assumption that his claims are to be trusted if he's town, and that he didn't speculate that wildly. He claimed to actually have this factual information).

Dancer's next post is spent defending Anidav. They then go on to vote AA, one of Anidav's biggest detractors.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

Bifauxnen posted:

really? I thought he was making a very good showing to make up for his earlier absence.

and he had a point about you.

##vote B-

:siren:

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
If you still feel ways about me now that I've said what I have to say...

*sticks out a beckoning kung fu hand*

Come at me.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Dancer keeps getting hung up on bizarre things and it's honestly tripping me up.

Like his "weak scum read" on me is based on the fact that I correctly called Anidav out on having knowledge we don't or being bullshitting in a unnatural way (which in turn he's trying to avoid giving us knowledge we don't have, aka he'd be scum). He came out with it so I unvoted.

His scum read on b-minus may have some merit based on meta, but it's still a lurker vote, aka a crapshoot.

I would rate BOTH of these weak. Where are your STRONG scumreads, Dancer?

Also out of all of the things I would be voting (and have) voted AA for, a (semi?) policy vote based on saying "Look at all the people throwing suspicion at me" (which is actually a very, very valid suggestion, even if thrown out in frustration. Scum pushes are a thing, so why the hell would you even disincentivize people from defending themselves? This feels like the OMGUS argument all over again...)

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Dancer's next post is spent defending Anidav. They then go on to vote AA, one of Anidav's biggest detractors.

This is actually a really good point.

Paired with what I just said...

##vote Dancer

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

and last is Dancer who only at mod provocation has appeared to catch up lest they run the risk of the lurker gun.

hmm this smells fishy to me. The game started earlier than expected on a weekend, and once someone knows they're gonna die if they don't potst, what do you expect them to do? Go on not posting?

it's not like Dancer just shitposted his way back to safety, he's dropped actual reads.

I was especially impressed that he bothered to call out Yami. I'd actually been eyeing him up very quietly in the background cause I couldn't really find the right words for it, and I definitely didn't want to vote him just yet when he was contributing so well, but I could see his contributions being from a scum who wants to stay active. It's hard to put my finger on. He's posting a lot but everything still feels like it's not making waves.

If Dancer was a scum trying to catch up, I don't think he'd go out on a limb making an all new case like that on such a tricky target.

Starting to feel the AA vote a lot more.

##vote AA

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

lol just read the above. More suss on Yami now, that feels pure defensive.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Bifauxnen posted:

hmm this smells fishy to me. The game started earlier than expected on a weekend, and once someone knows they're gonna die if they don't potst, what do you expect them to do? Go on not posting?

it's not like Dancer just shitposted his way back to safety, he's dropped actual reads.

I was especially impressed that he bothered to call out Yami. I'd actually been eyeing him up very quietly in the background cause I couldn't really find the right words for it, and I definitely didn't want to vote him just yet when he was contributing so well, but I could see his contributions being from a scum who wants to stay active. It's hard to put my finger on. He's posting a lot but everything still feels like it's not making waves.

If Dancer was a scum trying to catch up, I don't think he'd go out on a limb making an all new case like that on such a tricky target.

Starting to feel the AA vote a lot more.

##vote AA

He made a case and ended up with an empty vote on me, what do you think about that Bif-Chan?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Bifauxnen posted:

lol just read the above. More suss on Yami now, that feels pure defensive.

Lol

Sure, go on defending the guy who literally contradicts himself immediately.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Nothing in my following post was in any shape or form pro-Anidav, it was me questioning the behaviour of Yami. And my current vote on AA has nothing to do with his alignment.

Like, I hate to be pedantic, but when we're playing a game that is purely about communication and inter-player interaction, pedantic is kinda the way to go. The post you're referring to:

Dancer posted:

These are 3 almost-consecutive posts, with not that much happening in the middle. Anidav did write some clarifications, but those were things that a reasonable person could've surmised that he meant from his earlier statements. Wouldn't vote Yami over Anidav, but the read is there.
Those posts of Yami's I pointed out were ones wherein they seemed to very quickly change their mind about Anidav. My sole purpose in bringing up "Anidav wrote some clarifications" is not to say "oh hey Anidav is behaving non-scummily now", it's to point out the fashion in which I believe Yami's behaviour is scummy. Had Anidav's "clarifications" been a bigger deal, then it would've been easier for me to accept Yami as acting in good faith (as in "hey now I get what Anidav meant before so I'm changing my mind"). This is why I say "those were things that a reasonable person could've surmised that he meant from his earlier statements".

Also I explicitly say I still want to vote Anidav over Yami. Saying that this post is spent "defending Anidav" is either a misunderstanding or acting in bad faith.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

He made a case and ended up with an empty vote on me, what do you think about that Bif-Chan?

I think I disagree with his stance on having a bit of a lol being "anti-social", but I like the more thoughtful reads he's been giving. And the pushback he's getting feels like scum frustrated he won't be gunned down as a freebie tomorrow

Yami Fenrir posted:

Lol

Sure, go on defending the guy who literally contradicts himself immediately.

point this out for me please?

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

Dancer posted:

I dunno about other people, but I imagine I won't be the only one who was away from home for the hot weekend. Not easy to be productive when I'm with the gf and without a PC.

So, first things first, I've given this a lot of pondering and decided I should claim this, on the assumption that there are more town powers/cards in the game than scum ones: you shouldn't target me with an action if you don't want it wasted. This obviously may sound scummy, like I'm trying to doge being copped, but I reckon if I were scummy there's only about 5% chance a cop randomly picks me anyway (yes I know a cop wouldn't be doing it "randomly", but this is an approximation), so I don't have a lot to gain by doing this. On the flipside, wasting a genuine town action by accident would be a big drawback. The situation might change in the future, but this is how it is now.

hmm. this actually seems sincere and something a town player would say.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Yami Fenrir posted:

Dancer keeps getting hung up on bizarre things and it's honestly tripping me up.

Like his "weak scum read" on me is based on the fact that I correctly called Anidav out on having knowledge we don't or being bullshitting in a unnatural way (which in turn he's trying to avoid giving us knowledge we don't have, aka he'd be scum). He came out with it so I unvoted.

His scum read on b-minus may have some merit based on meta, but it's still a lurker vote, aka a crapshoot.

Also out of all of the things I would be voting (and have) voted AA for, a (semi?) policy vote based on saying "Look at all the people throwing suspicion at me" (which is actually a very, very valid suggestion, even if thrown out in frustration. Scum pushes are a thing, so why the hell would you even disincentivize people from defending themselves? This feels like the OMGUS argument all over again...)

You're being massively disingenuous. I have not at any point taken issue with AA defending himself. If you look at my specific post, I have specifically cut down AA's post to the following sentence:
"All these people tossing down suspicion on me lol too cute"
and explicitly specified that I take issue with his tone. If you do not see how his tone in that sentence is something someone might take issue with, then I don't know how to explain it to you.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

yeah just pretend I never voted you B-, I thought you were part of the "wait what, Dancer's gonna engage outta nowhere now, no way we can take him" scum brigade here. but it's prolly just AA and Yami.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

b-minus1 posted:

Uhhh, what?

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
i don't know how you people find so much to post about on day 1 jesus

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Side-note please don't think I'm not aware of Bif being all buddy-buddy. I already had her on my list of "people to keep an extra close eye on" (because of that whole "town superstar" "debate"), and this just reinforces that yes, I should be doing that.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
One more thing about Yami's post:

Yami Fenrir posted:

There are none, and I imagine if I play 100 mafia games there will always be none on day 1.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

b-minus1 posted:

"Don't target me, I don't want you to waste your ability" Sounds like something every player says regardless of alignment, but obviously more so by scum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

i don't know how you people find so much to post about on day 1 jesus

Just post, man, and everything will be ok.

• Locked thread