Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Davincie posted:

theres way mor etypes

I bet you cant even name all the types of rear end shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

that just goes to show that ' rear end and titty shots '' does not cover the spectrum

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

From now on instead of talking about fanservice you have to use my rigorously tested adaption of the oakeshotte sword typology designed to describe butts.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Sharkopath posted:

I'm becoming tired of the word fanservice but I dont know why.

its a reductive word that shames sexuality for being associated with consumerism. its super buzzwordy because a show can use sexuality in tons of ways and people will just throw 'fanservice' at them all instead of focusing the term onto cases such as a blu-ray release of a show containing a new OVA that's about all the chars going to the hot springs or the beach or w/e.

when a mangaka goes, "dang i'm thirsty for volleyball lesbians, i'm gonna make this my living", that's their agency. they wanted to make that. so why do we call it fanservice?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think also the issue is that there's 'fanservice' that's like 'hell yeah you can see her titties' and then there's fanservice that's like 'hitsugaya showing up to strike a cool pose even though he has nothing to do with the plot' and then there's fanservice thats like 'the cute girl tripped and acted cute'

people just use 'fanservice' to mean 'sexual shots' but then they also use it to mean things that arent really sexually framed but still exist to indulge the audience. like your average one piece movie is 90% fanservice by volume even if it doesnt have much titty. zoro and sanji bickering with each other then casually cutting down some dudes is as much a thing that exists to make the presumed audience happy as a shot of nami's boobs.

and also, yeah, there's a diff. between something that exists solely to pander to an audience and something that exists because the author themselves likes it, or even to make a point. fate/extra ccc has a ton of sexual shots/framing of both men and women but the game is actively trying to make a point about sexuality, and also arco wada loves titties, so at what point does it become fanservice. ig you could say the way its framed and how its presented is a factor but lbr not many people are taking that into account.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The solution is to understand that properly deployed fanservice is good IMO

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Davincie posted:

Scheduled to release in 2019
It will feature a new story written by Hasekura Isuna
Character designs by Ju Ayakura.
The main VAs will not change from the original anime series.

Supports Rift and VIVE (at the very least). There will be a non-VR movie version for Windows. Support for PSVR is not certain but optimistic.

There will be English subtitles

Sewayaki Kitsune no Senko-san VR and this would make a VR tailfluffing dream that a friend had come true.

Project LUX was announced being under works for PSVR last December, supposed to be out this year and that means internationally. This one ought to follow based on reception.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Davincie posted:

that just goes to show that ' rear end and titty shots '' does not cover the spectrum

it means a ton of things but people in the harukana conversation are just using it to mean rear end and titties, so far

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Endorph posted:

and also, yeah, there's a diff. between something that exists solely to pander to an audience and something that exists because the author themselves likes it, or even to make a point. fate/extra ccc has a ton of sexual shots/framing of both men and women but the game is actively trying to make a point about sexuality, and also arco wada loves titties, so at what point does it become fanservice. ig you could say the way its framed and how its presented is a factor but lbr not many people are taking that into account.

that's the rub of it, to me. like, why do we use this super presumptuous word that assumes we were present for the creation of a work? especially in anime compared to manga, there are tons of perspectives and angles at play. and honestly "we're gonna do this for the fans" seems so good and pure to me when a creator just outright says it. everyone calls Bebe's appearance in madomagi rebellion fanservice when it wasn't some magically corporate decision. Shinbo says it was in the initial script when they received it, and Urobuchi just goes, "yeah i saw all this fanart of them together and I thought it was cute!" Bebe has a very tangible narrative role in how she plays the red herring when Homura is searching for the culprit, as well as explaining why Mami is so composed and strong (you could say she really has her head on her shoulders) in the new world: she's not torn apart by loneliness and the loss of her family, she has someone to protect and live for.

Ever since Rebellion I've honestly hated the word for how much people just immediately go to the reaction of "ah, it's fanservice" as if that writes off the need to pursue any further thought.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think 'we're gonna do this for the fans' is a noble idea in small doses but if you overdo it in something thats actually critical to the progression of the story it can become a disservice to the story. like if a character's served their narrative purpose but the fans like them so you just keep having them hang around without really giving them anything to do, soaking up screentime that could have gone to other characters but also just wasting everyone's time and watering down their earlier impact on the story. that happens a lot in shonen. and some mecha anime.

that said i do think people just, really like having excuses to not have to think, yeah

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
oh i was gonna take that line out and maybe turn it into a separate post with more pros and cons than just 'good and pure cinnamon bun soft' but i left it in. haha. yeah, agreed

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Does the phrase fanservice inherently pass judgment on the audience?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chumbler posted:

it doesnt, but also it kind of does. depends on context

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

chumbler posted:

It shouldn't IMO

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I universally hear it spoken as a negative thing (and pretty much universally w/ the meaning of 'titillating stuff') but don't think the term itself is, necessairly

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
all mecha anime should do what king gainer did and have a really awesome character for the first six episodes and then they get written out when tomino realizes they're too awesome and having them around will just make people stop paying attention to every other bad guy and then he apologizes to the voice actor for writing out their character

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

all mecha anime should do what king gainer did and have a really awesome character for the first six episodes and then they get written out when tomino realizes they're too awesome and having them around will just make people stop paying attention to every other bad guy and then he apologizes to the voice actor for writing out their character

gundam seed had a guy voiced by tm revolution who was actually fairly important to the plot relatively speaking but tm revolution charged huge amounts for his voice work so they just killed his character off and now that guy is playable in super robot wars games but only the ones without voice acting and now that even the 3ds/vita games have voice acting hell probably never be playable again

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Is Dr. Ver showing up twice after he really doesn't have any purpose in the story fanservice?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

gundam seed had a guy voiced by tm revolution who was actually fairly important to the plot relatively speaking but tm revolution charged huge amounts for his voice work so they just killed his character off and now that guy is playable in super robot wars games but only the ones without voice acting and now that even the 3ds/vita games have voice acting hell probably never be playable again

That's in seed destiny actually

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Eela6 posted:

Is Dr. Ver showing up twice after he really doesn't have any purpose in the story fanservice?

Sources say yes!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Eela6 posted:

the thing about fanservice is that you don't mind it so much when you are the fan being serviced

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eela6 posted:

i think his appearance in gx legitimately wraps up his character arc and is some of the strongest material in gx. his appearance in axz was just self-indulgent tho

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

fanservice insecurity

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

fanservice insecurity
davincie, have i ever come across insecure about big boobs and butts

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

boob envy

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Julias posted:

Sources say yes!

Fanservice is good then, got it

& Yeah, his appearance in GX is great. I mostly meant the one in AZX.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Space Flower posted:

its a reductive word that shames sexuality for being associated with consumerism. its super buzzwordy because a show can use sexuality in tons of ways and people will just throw 'fanservice' at them all instead of focusing the term onto cases such as a blu-ray release of a show containing a new OVA that's about all the chars going to the hot springs or the beach or w/e.

when a mangaka goes, "dang i'm thirsty for volleyball lesbians, i'm gonna make this my living", that's their agency. they wanted to make that. so why do we call it fanservice?

Because the show features both.

In the volleyball scenes and some general beach idle scenes, it's all natural and there is no "fanservice" as described, as none of it gets in the way of the narritive. Everyone is in a bikini, no one cares because it is just what they are doing.

But the show also features what you'd think more of traditional fanservice, with unnecessary lingering shots on body parts, closeups on cleavage, etc. that would have been just fine framed normally.

This show just happens to define a paper thin border between the two, but it does cross it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

boob envy

*gazes out into the middle distance* yeah...

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Oh god I just wanted to know if the comments saying "this show is pretty gay" also applied to the characters' development and interaction outside of scenes designed primarily for sex appeal or if it was limited to those scenes (as sometimes happens), I didn't realise using "fanservice" as shorthand for "scenes designed mostly or exclusively for sex appeal" was so controversial or implied anything about it being evil for unspecified reasons.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
questions that start discussions, intentionally or not, are good imo

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Expect My Mom posted:

questions that start discussions, intentionally or not, are good imo

"You ask some thought-provoking questions" sounds great until you realise the thoughts were all about the role of butts in anime (not even about the butts themselves)

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the role sexual arousal and titillation play in media and the degree to which it should or should not is a good question probably

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

AnacondaHL posted:

Because the show features both.

In the volleyball scenes and some general beach idle scenes, it's all natural and there is no "fanservice" as described, as none of it gets in the way of the narritive. Everyone is in a bikini, no one cares because it is just what they are doing.

But the show also features what you'd think more of traditional fanservice, with unnecessary lingering shots on body parts, closeups on cleavage, etc. that would have been just fine framed normally.

This show just happens to define a paper thin border between the two, but it does cross it.

One could argue that a beach volleyball show is inherently fanservicey regardless of anything else about it because they chose to depict beach volleyball instead of not beach volleyball.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
haikyuu's never had a beach episode

weird

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Waci posted:

Oh god I just wanted to know if the comments saying "this show is pretty gay" also applied to the characters' development and interaction outside of scenes designed primarily for sex appeal or if it was limited to those scenes (as sometimes happens), I didn't realise using "fanservice" as shorthand for "scenes designed mostly or exclusively for sex appeal" was so controversial or implied anything about it being evil for unspecified reasons.

Not everything is about you, sometimes.

Conversation will flow how it wants to

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/Anime/status/1018702776371765248
Oh wow! Can't wait to see this

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Colonel posted:

Nadesico does the same thing, just after three episodes

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Sharkopath posted:

Not everything is about you, sometimes.

Conversation will flow how it wants to

Dude chill, an offhand remark about a question leading to unexpecetdly serious conversation isn't a personal insult, sometimes.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

chumbler posted:

One could argue that a beach volleyball show is inherently fanservicey regardless of anything else about it because they chose to depict beach volleyball instead of not beach volleyball.

This is a fair argument, and even applies to the entire sport itself.

But also if they can't do every summer olympics sport in time they have to pick and choose, so I can't blame them when this concept made the cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waci posted:

I didn't realise using "fanservice" as shorthand for "scenes designed mostly or exclusively for sex appeal" was so controversial or implied anything about it being evil for unspecified reasons.
nobody said that

• Locked thread