Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
he only poked him once, but it justified the warnings. probably should have taken a point but it wouldnt ahve mattered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
The worst eyepoke I have seen since Jon Jone got sent to mma jail was DC on Stipe

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
must not watch many fights then

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Protect your eye at all times.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I agree with Rogan that an eyepoke should be an immediate 1 pt reduction. The fact it happens so regularly means the new closed hand rule isn't exactly working (assuming the SAC is using the new "unified" rules).

That or change the glives so they're a bit more curved. Bellator made some new glove like that if I remember correctly.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i was watching holloway and ortega matches and they both fought cub and it suddenly struck me that he's been a skilled brawler guy for so long that everyone's now forgotten that he used to be a joke. what a career turnaround that was.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
drat was he? I thought he was always seen as pretty good

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Skip My Posts posted:

For the first couple years his most notable fight was getting murdered by the corpse of Jens Pulver

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Don't forget being on the wrong end of an Aldo highlight reel.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Fentry posted:

For the first couple years his most notable fight was getting murdered by the corpse of Jens Pulver

drat lol, dont remember that at all

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
https://streamable.com/mkj81

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Skip My Posts posted:

he was one of those guys who wasn't good at anything but was really tough and had a lot of cardio and aggression. i think right after WEC folded he became way better really fast.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
also the legendary aldo KO haunted him for years.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I'm surprised looking it up that the Urijah Faber eyepoke on Jimmie Rivera was back in 2016 - that was the first super egregious one that came to mind for me.

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord
The most memorable eye poke to me was Linderman on Rumble. Rumble got poked then asked for time and Herb said no, so Linderman immediately rushed in and got murdered.

Edit: my bad, that was in WSOF. Guess I mixed it up with that nasty UFC eye poke Burns got on Rumble that needed surgical repair.

i can still taste him fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 16, 2018

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i think the aldo knee hosed up his orbital for awhile. i was surprised to see him evolve into what he is today especially after what happened to koscheck

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Here's that article interviewing a bunch of fighters about how badly they got hosed up by Aldo. https://www.mmafighting.com/2015/11/27/9798748/the-night-we-faced-jose-aldo-ufc-194-conor-mcgregor

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Aldo was just another steroid cheat who got exposed once he could no longer juice as much

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Whittaker is out until February

https://twitter.com/grosenstein/status/1018967644169555972

mewse
May 2, 2006

4oz gloves bad

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Zzulu posted:

Aldo was just another steroid cheat who got exposed once he could no longer juice as much

He was sick, never popped

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
remember that time Jose spilled his piss all over the collector and went 'welp, guess that's that, no sample this time' and the guy hosed off from Brazil, and when he came back the Brazilian government denied him entry to the country until aldo could flee or piss clean I think? I don't remember what happened after that.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skip My Posts posted:

He used to lose a lot, only to guys who are pretty good, but also Jens Pulver while Jens was in the middle of an otherwise unbroken 8 fight losing streak or something. If you watch his fight with Ricardo Lamas (which was on the first Fox card) you can see the exact moment he realises he turned the wrong way into an arm triangle.

He was always pretty good and hit really, really hard, he just had the habit of zigging when he should zag.

Foul Fowl posted:

also the legendary aldo KO haunted him for years.

Apparently that knee gave him a hairline fracture in his skull.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Gay Horney posted:

remember that time Jose spilled his piss all over the collector and went 'welp, guess that's that, no sample this time' and the guy hosed off from Brazil, and when he came back the Brazilian government denied him entry to the country until aldo could flee or piss clean I think? I don't remember what happened after that.

I hope someone writes a book someday about all of the ridiculous piss dodging stories that have happened in the era of strict testing

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Gay Horney posted:

poo poo lol

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I hope someone writes a book someday about all of the ridiculous piss dodging stories that have happened in the era of strict testing

The cover should be a guy hiding under a cage while a USADA guy stands around with a piss cup in hand.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Regarding JDS and eye poking... I could be remembering wrong, but I don't think it was as much as everyone is saying. I think the 1st warning was just because he had his fingers forward, not because he made contact. I remember Dos Santos looking really confused about getting the warning when he hadn't actually made contact. 2nd was legit. 3rd incident, Herb was going to take a point, but on the replay it showed that it was incidental/unintentional contact during an arm swing and not a fingers forward poke.

Like I said, I could be misremembering part of it though.

The main thing I noticed was that after the 2nd or 3rd warning he went straight back to throwing out jabs with his fingers extended, like the warning had given him an idea more than anything else.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

http://m.fightland.vice.com/blog/the-circus-surrounding-jose-aldos-ufc-189-drug-test

It got its own vice article! I hosed up the order. So the piss collector showed up and aldos coach said well you're not allowed to collect piss with your visa. So they tie him up in red tape for a day then the next day aldo doesn't show up to the gym at the specified time and spills his first piss when he does show up hours later so they've gotta have him make another sample. In the meantime the Brazilian cop who's supposed to make sure everything is above board is snapping pictures with aldo.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Hmmm, sounds like he did absolutely nothing wrong. Better luck next time, ‘VICE’.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

He is always injured

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

spb posted:

He is always injured

Osteogenesis imperfecta is the best base for MMA.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/jackslackmma/status/1018965498241961989?s=21

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

spb posted:

He is always injured

I smell an interim belt! Is fat kelvin willing to sit out for his shot?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

spb posted:

He is always injured

He keeps having to fight yoel romero

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

eric posted:

I smell an interim belt! Is fat kelvin willing to sit out for his shot?

he's probably willing to sit

Kelvin's cool

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Volkanovski wasn't even the best featherweight prospect on that card

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

:rolleyes:

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Mekchu posted:

The cover should be a guy hiding under a cage while a USADA guy stands around with a piss cup in hand.

I take it this guy would be a Jon Jones lookalike?

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

spb posted:

He is always injured

Yeah at least they happen in fights tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
If it's that serious athletes will use a catheder to inject clean piss into their bladders. This requires forewarning of when the test will be and a contact who understands how to insert urine through your dick hole into your bladder.

It's not pleasent.

Played baseball in college new some football and baseball kids who did it. The school learns about your test sometime between 2 to 4 days before hand and will generally turn around and tell the athlete.

USADA does alot of random poo poo so it's probably harder for fighters

• Locked thread