Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Munkeymon posted:

I got a couple of PMs so I'll post another one https://discord.gg/9Q4QHY

gdi I am always seeing these posts ~5 hours after they expire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

prisoner of waffles posted:

Same

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

Way, way back in April 2017, I was looking at changing jobs and asked the thread a few questions. Among them was this:

quote:

2. I have research publications under submission in which I am the first (primary) author. I did all of the research work, gathered/analyzed the data, and wrote the papers. I will leave before I get accept/reject notifications on them. Do any of you have experience with how to handle this sort of thing? If any papers are accepted, someone still needs to attend the appropriate conferences to present the findings. I'm not worried about my pending patents, as my name was listed as a co-inventor on the filings and I can't imagine I'd be removed from anything after the fact because I left...

I have an update! I don't think I ever mentioned that paper again, but it did end up getting accepted. I presented it at a conference in September 2017. I paid out of pocket for the conference registration, plane tickets, hotel, and other expenses because my old company wasn't going to. After presenting the paper and filling in my old PhD advisor (one of my co-authors) on how it all went, my old advisor told me to prepare an expense report for all of my expenses and that his lab would cover it all. As for the last patent application that I had pending, that patent was awarded by the US Patent Office about a week ago. I didn't even know that it went through until I suddenly received a bunch of junk mail from several companies trying to sell me one of those patent award plaques that companies like to hang up in their lobbies to impress people.

The new job has been going well for the past year and I've even made a few referrals that have been hired. So, all's well that ends well! :science:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

hendersa posted:

I have an update! I don't think I ever mentioned that paper again, but it did end up getting accepted. I presented it at a conference in September 2017. I paid out of pocket for the conference registration, plane tickets, hotel, and other expenses because my old company wasn't going to. After presenting the paper and filling in my old PhD advisor (one of my co-authors) on how it all went, my old advisor told me to prepare an expense report for all of my expenses and that his lab would cover it all. As for the last patent application that I had pending, that patent was awarded by the US Patent Office about a week ago. I didn't even know that it went through until I suddenly received a bunch of junk mail from several companies trying to sell me one of those patent award plaques that companies like to hang up in their lobbies to impress people.
Glad to hear it went so, so well! I overcame my massive aversion to even typing the word "patent" into a work computer and it looks like one of mine is progressing as well :shobon:

prisoner of waffles posted:

I made it in and everyone here thinks I'm awful, so

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

JawnV6 posted:

I made it in and everyone here thinks I'm awful, so

Hey now, I think you’re merely curmudgeonly!

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

JawnV6 posted:

I'm awful

Sounds like you are in the right place :v:

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
It's insanely tight to make it to a final round interview you are told by the recruiter will be focused on the team, your career, company, etc and end up working on a CoderPad problem for 45 minutes.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Companies Can’t Interview

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

In the past two months, I went through three full interview loops for remote architect-level roles. All positions entailed about 3-4 hours of interviewing and seemed to go well. In all cases, I received solid feedback from the directors/management and engineers I spoke with and was told I'd hear back within a couple of weeks. And in all cases, I was ghosted. Suck my dick, tech industry!!

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Yesterday I had one that was 6 hours -- 3 tech 3 about career/culture/growth. It was a reach in terms of level they wanted (they're looking for Senior in the Scala world which I am not) but it was refreshing to know that there exists a company such that if it was a mid-level opening I probably would have been strongly considered and actually excited to take it because it felt like I was talking to human beings.

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

Good Will Hrunting posted:

...felt like I was talking to human beings.

Just to reiterate a post I made earlier, you really might consider applying to non-tech companies. The caliber of employee is lower, but they're generally more "normal" and socially adjusted. I know not everyone at a software company is Rain Man, but they do tend toward being awkward as hell. Interviews are also less grueling.

Jort Fortress fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 18, 2018

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

ForrestPUMP69 posted:

Just to reiterate a post I made earlier, you really might consider applying to non-tech companies. The caliber of employee is lower, but they're generally more "normal" and socially adjusted. I know not everyone at a software company is Rain Main, but they do tend toward being awkward as hell. Interviews are also less grueling.

My experience this go-around is Amazon, Disney Streaming Service, another large company, and all start-ups. Not particularly applying to tech companies, really.

That said, my Amazon interviewer was very awkward, Disney dudes were half cool, half pompous smug pricks, and the other large company is the one I mentioned having yesterday where everyone was a treat to talk to. The start-ups were a mix of wankers and perfectly fine people. Start-up I'm still in the running at had mostly really awesome people, just that bizarre final round with the CTO.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

ForrestPUMP69 posted:

In the past two months, I went through three full interview loops for remote architect-level roles. All positions entailed about 3-4 hours of interviewing and seemed to go well. In all cases, I received solid feedback from the directors/management and engineers I spoke with and was told I'd hear back within a couple of weeks. And in all cases, I was ghosted. Suck my dick, tech industry!!

This makes me feel better about getting a verbal offer and then being ghosted by the company.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

ForrestPUMP69 posted:

Just to reiterate a post I made earlier, you really might consider applying to non-tech companies. The caliber of employee is lower, but they're generally more "normal" and socially adjusted. I know not everyone at a software company is Rain Man, but they do tend toward being awkward as hell. Interviews are also less grueling.

But then you have to work for people who are 'not technical.' Non-technical people leading technical people tends to lead to poor requirements and potemkin village software. Sure, this also happens if you have technical people doing requirements (the methodology is called scrum), but at least when a technical person specifies something that is not technically feasible, they're probably in on the joke, and the project will just fail without too much gnashing of teeth - it's much less funny when you get questions about technical feasibility from people who literally don't know what the phrase 'technically feasible' means.

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

But then you have to work for people who are 'not technical.' Non-technical people leading technical people tends to lead to poor requirements and potemkin village software. Sure, this also happens if you have technical people doing requirements (the methodology is called scrum), but at least when a technical person specifies something that is not technically feasible, they're probably in on the joke, and the project will just fail without too much gnashing of teeth - it's much less funny when you get questions about technical feasibility from people who literally don't know what the phrase 'technically feasible' means.

Good point, but it depends on whether you're talking about leadership within IT or on the business side.

I work for a large healthcare provider. Unlike a true software company, we don't have an "engineering" side of the house...engineers just fall under the umbrella of IT. Within IT, my entire leadership chain has a technical background. So, we as engineers do have technical management as well as significant input re: the scope and feasibility of a project.

The real downside of working here (or any company where engineering is a support function) is how much the business can dictate our priorities. We don't report directly to business people, but we're in a constant battle over what they believe to be important and what actually is. Rarely will this ever involve cutting edge tech or best practices. On the upside, our benefits are outstanding and I work from home, so I've mostly accepted the level of BS that comes with working at such a place. Actual software companies aren't big on remote work, sadly.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Janitor Prime posted:

I'd ask why you let it get that way in the first place? It seems better to deal with the compression on insert

My team's feature runs in parallel with a grip of other features that are downstream enough to receive some information such as basic web results, and something called a "RewrittenSQuery," which involves the basic stuff like spelling corrections but also adds knowledge graph entities, so that's just what we have. It's good that way for most applications, but we query another service that must not be named, and it uses up too much resources including time if you give it too many terms

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
In what might be the most poetic event of my life, I was offered a job and a mere 3 hours later my VP who I've had the ongoing issues with informed me that my TL is on a leave of absence indefinitely, with him taking over TL's duties again, so I will have get to quit to him :getin: :getin:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Congrats on the job offer!

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

In what might be the most poetic event of my life, I was offered a job and a mere 3 hours later my VP who I've had the ongoing issues with informed me that my TL is on a leave of absence indefinitely, with him taking over TL's duties again, so I will have get to quit to him :getin: :getin:

Congrats :getin:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

What is leave of absence? Isn't leave that you are absent ? Sorry but English is my second language.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Keetron posted:

What is leave of absence? Isn't leave that you are absent ? Sorry but English is my second language.

Usually means unpaid, long term absence.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

But isn't that unemployed?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Absence of leave is any time off work where you don't have to fulfill your duties. So maternity leave is a form of it for example as is being sick. But when people refer to the actual term it usually means "he's off, I don't know why and I don't know when he's coming back" (or they do know but aren't allowed to say)

They can be paid (at least in the UK) one of our POs took a month leave of absence, it was only when she came back we found out she had had a break down. She was paid full for half of it and half pay the rest.

Even if unpaid it differs from being unemployed because 1) the pretense is you come back and 2) you are unable to seek unemployment benefits.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Keetron posted:

You could also just say "on leave", but that welcomes the follow up question "what for?".

"Leave of absence" does not welcome the follow up question.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

So it is a way to say: "They are gone for a while to sort poo poo out, we expect them to be back some day."? That is an unfortunate mechanism, not working but also not eligible for unemployment. Is this a voluntary thing or can a company put you on leave of absence without firing you to screw you over?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Keetron posted:

So it is a way to say: "They are gone for a while to sort poo poo out, we expect them to be back some day."? That is an unfortunate mechanism, not working but also not eligible for unemployment. Is this a voluntary thing or can a company put you on leave of absence without firing you to screw you over?

It's generally a voluntary thing. If your employer did it to you, you would be eligible for unemployment.

Customarily you only take a leave of absence from professional jobs (management, lawyer, doctor, teacher, other sort of white-collar work) and it's simply an indication that you're not going to be working for a while but you'll have the same job when you come back.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Awesome! About drat time, too!

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Keetron posted:

Yeah, in the US you can pretty much just go to a psychiatrist and get a note asking for accommodations, and it's illegal to fire you for a mental health disorder. You still can get fired for poor performance even if you have a disability, but the deal is under ADA, a company has to make reasonable accommodations to allow you to perform, e.g. temporary paid leave, working from home, working on projects with more flexible deadlines, etc. If you get fired for poor performance and never brought up that you have a disorder, you're out of luck though, and also if the accommodations don't improve performance, well....

Also, no one is saying that if you reveal that you have a mental health disorder, they ought to give you raises and fast track you, so it may not be super great to reveal this stuff if you're performing well and not at the apex of your career path yet, but if you're having performance issues already, going to the doctor, getting a note about your major depression/bipolar/drug addiction etc will give you some measure of protection, and you're way better off doing that as opposed to getting fired for poor performance without letting anyone know you have a condition.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Thanks everyone, I'm really excited!

Balancing a mix of imposter syndrome (I'm gonna be working with a lot of tech I've never worked with, which is awesome) and just general relief/excitement but also still waiting to hear from what turned out to be my #1 preference (they told me EoD today I'll have an answer). Both are doing fairly interesting work, the major thing separating the two is structure: the offer I got is from a start-up whereas the other place I interviewed with is much larger and has more in terms of defined career progression.

My numbers ended up being something like 6 weeks from first phone screen to offer. That involved 4 on-sites, 4 rejections after a phone screen, 3 people I turned down after phone-screen, two on-sites I have scheduled for next week that I'll turn down, ~20 initial talks with recruiters, and (I stopped counting) after 40 emails from job boards. For all the complaining I did about the process, it actually wasn't that awful and I feel like it was largely compounded by my job not being tolerable in the least, which skyrocketed my stress levels.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Keetron posted:

Yes, I nearly ended up on leave of absence when my mom was dying, but my company is wonderful and said "just take the time off, we'll keep paying you", and I worked on some low-priority, no-deadline projects (mostly internal documentation and other mindless work) intermittently for about 3 months. Then I came back and they gave me a big raise. :shrug:

One of many reasons I'll probably stay at this job until they fire me / get purchased / go under.

return0
Apr 11, 2007

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Yes, I nearly ended up on leave of absence when my mom was dying, but my company is wonderful and said "just take the time off, we'll keep paying you", and I worked on some low-priority, no-deadline projects (mostly internal documentation and other mindless work) intermittently for about 3 months. Then I came back and they gave me a big raise. :shrug:

One of many reasons I'll probably stay at this job until they fire me / get purchased / go under.

This is awesome, I worked for a place that did something like this and I appreciated it a lot.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

I'm about to have to share an mvc app with another developer that has decades of experience. I'd like to not look completely retarded. Would someone here with experience in asp.net MVC wanna take a look and provide feedback before I do?

Paid of course. Thinking I'd just hand off the database implementation, one of the bigger controllers, and a couple views. It's not a huge project, as it's only 3 weeks old and I'm no pro.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

bobua posted:

I'm about to have to share an mvc app with another developer that has decades of experience. I'd like to not look completely retarded. Would someone here with experience in asp.net MVC wanna take a look and provide feedback before I do?

Paid of course. Thinking I'd just hand off the database implementation, one of the bigger controllers, and a couple views. It's not a huge project, as it's only 3 weeks old and I'm no pro.

You are inexperienced and the project is 3 weeks old.
Let the guy review, it can only improve.
And don't worry, you already look retarded by posting this request so you might as well get used to it.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I just got a cold call from a google recruiter which was weird. Is their interview process still complete poo poo?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

KidDynamite posted:

I just got a cold call from a google recruiter which was weird. Is their interview process still complete poo poo?

Define complete poo poo?
It's all whiteboarding algorithms and system design

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Google's hiring targets for the next few years are insane. I have no idea how they are going to hit them, or where all these people are gonna go.

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

Sounds good to me. It's been about a year since I last interviewed there so time to do it again.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

KidDynamite posted:

It hasn't changed markedly (from an interviewee standpoint, anyway) in the last ~decade.

And yeah, once you're in their system you can expect cold calls probably once or twice a year, just to check in and see if they've managed to catch you when you're thinking of pulling up stakes and moving on.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

mrmcd posted:

Google's hiring targets for the next few years are insane. I have no idea how they are going to hit them, or where all these people are gonna go.

Mostly Assistant and Cloud I think, also Loon is really "blowing up," lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Yesterday was my last day. I had originally told my company 8/1 would be my last day, but at 4:45 yesterday toxic poo poo-stain took me into a room, obviously wanting to get in his last shot at me said "You won't be happy about this, but the team can survive on their own and today's your last day." I thought to myself, woah, that owns... I had already spoken with HR and they assured me I'd be paid not only through 8/1 but also for my outstanding vacation days. When he asked If i had feedback for them (lmao) I mentioned that I wanted to work on a team that was more product and business focused and weighed interactions as a heavier priority and he was like "that's definitely a better fit for you" insinuating that I wasn't good enough to be on their team that was more "engineering focused", as he always said. I have my exit interview (or lunch, drinks, we haven't decided yet) with the company's new HR specialist in NYC who is really, really cool and down to earth. Obviously he serves the company, but he's way less of a corporate schmuck than the rest of them, so we'll have a real earnest conversation next week. What will come out of it? Probably nothing because upper management is clueless! But it'll feel good. I may even leave a Glassdoor review!

Nine days off is awesome because I can go into my new job with a clear head. I've been reading about some of the tooling they use here and there, plus putting together a nice little Notion setup for note-taking so I can hit the ground running.