Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Parallax posted:

auteur gets inflated into meaning someone struck the ground and this sole act of power caused an anime to spring fully formed from the earth but in its more practical meaning i think it still has some use
The word 'auteur' wasn't the part I was disagreeing with, but rather the part where he was one of the few. Ikuhara's quirks are the most obvious and style breaking outside of maybe Naoko Yamada or a few 90s mecha directors, but it's really easy to see anime directors in their work just because of the medium itself. If anything, most everyone involved in an anime's production qualifies as an 'auteur' by the more literal definition. People can notice individual scenes by their individual key animators and storyboarders, even somewhat casual fans have probably done that a couple of times. That'd be basically impossible in any other medium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

nevermind i think i just misread what sharky was saying. its early ok

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Parallax posted:

i don't see how ikuhara having very clear influences inflates his status as an auteur, he's one the few anime directors where you can cleanly draw the lines of auteurism

Combination of influences and ideas sometimes coming from other members of staff and also ignorance of influences leading people to sometimes ascribe their creation to the director.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

with this reasoning you can basically conclude theres no such thing as an auteur

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

with this reasoning you can basically conclude theres no such thing as an auteur

when everyone's an auteur, no one will be

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

when everyone's an auteur, no one will be

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Endorph posted:

The word 'auteur' wasn't the part I was disagreeing with, but rather the part where he was one of the few. Ikuhara's quirks are the most obvious and style breaking outside of maybe Naoko Yamada or a few 90s mecha directors, but it's really easy to see anime directors in their work just because of the medium itself. If anything, most everyone involved in an anime's production qualifies as an 'auteur' by the more literal definition. People can notice individual scenes by their individual key animators and storyboarders, even somewhat casual fans have probably done that a couple of times. That'd be basically impossible in any other medium.

i agree here that animators (in anime especially) are often auteurs in their own sense, but i think that's why so few anime directors (or writers or producers) fit into the "auteur" mold in my mind.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Endorph posted:

did u know ikuhara invented lesbians
so that's who my dad is

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

for example, it feels difficult to call sound euphonium s2 an auteurist work, because the individual episode directors have a creative control that feels more distinctive than the overall work. whereas you can look at yamada's other works and there's a much clear delineation of style and voice that runs through them

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

auteur theory as a framework has been twisted into poo poo anyway and i'm in no way saying auteur works are better than non-

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Parallax posted:

i agree here that animators (in anime especially) are often auteurs in their own sense, but i think that's why so few anime directors (or writers or producers) fit into the "auteur" mold in my mind.
maybe we're just coming at this from different angles because nine times out of ten if im watching an anime without knowing who the director is, and the director is someone ive seen before, i can usually guess it, or at least have a shortlist. like last season i knew gun gale online was by the director of strawberry panic and episode 4 or flipflappers even before i looked it up, esp. the second episode of ggo where llenn and fuka talk in that diner was just very familiar to me in terms of how dialogue pacing was communicated visually, and he storyboarded the first couple of episodes of ggo himself in addition to being the director. So, iunno, I obviously wouldn't call the man who directed beloved action series Needless the greatest auteur the world has ever known, he doesn't exactly have recurring motifs or anything, but there are things about his work I like and I was able to recognize.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Endorph posted:

maybe we're just coming at this from different angles because nine times out of ten if im watching an anime without knowing who the director is, and the director is someone ive seen before, i can usually guess it, or at least have a shortlist. like last season i knew gun gale online was by the director of strawberry panic and episode 4 or flipflappers even before i looked it up, esp. the second episode of ggo where llenn and fuka talk in that diner was just very familiar to me in terms of how dialogue pacing was communicated visually, and he storyboarded the first couple of episodes of ggo himself in addition to being the director. So, iunno, I obviously wouldn't call the man who directed beloved action series Needless the greatest auteur the world has ever known, he doesn't exactly have recurring motifs or anything, but there are things about his work I like and I was able to recognize.

i'm thinking about auteur as it's thought in film theory, as the sole (or the most prevalent) voice on a collaborative project. so, not necessarily about recognizable or consistent style, but whether that style is used to convey particular ideas or motifs that reoccur throughout a creator's work. so, as far that guy, i don't know? being the director and storyboarder of episodes gives a certain power of authorial intent, but does that cover the whole series? does the familiar visualization of dialogue convey the same idea as in other series? i think those are the ideas more important to being an auteur. and that's why i think ascribing auteur to anime directors is difficult because they work in animation, which often conveys individual animator's style and personality, and because they often work in TV, which is often a further break-down of individual episode directors being a stronger voice than the overall director. that's why i would say there are so few, because there aren't many like ikuhara, or yamada, or anno, who's thematic interests and ideas of conveying them visually rise above other strong, distinct voices

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i hope none of this comes off as condescending, because i'm also just trying to explain it to myself

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

and of course, teekyu is the greatest and most auteurist of works

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
So how ‘bout that Happy Sugar Life, eh? At first I was all, like, “agh, lesbian pedophilia!” but then I realised it was about a murder cutie who has kidnapped a child. Better?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Parallax posted:

that's why i would say there are so few, because there aren't many like ikuhara, or yamada, or anno, who's thematic interests and ideas of conveying them visually rise above other strong, distinct voices
I mean, I think that's a fundamental misunderstanding especially in Yamada's case. So much of Yamada's work comes from her collaborators, the other people she works with. She has a clear vision, but she works with other people to achieve it. She's a huge voice in promoting younger workers in Kyoani and giving them a chance to shine. Kensuke Ushio, the composer she worked with for a Silent Voice, was a huge part of Silent Voice, and he had an even bigger impact on Liz and the Blue Bird. Since Liz has long stretches with so little dialogue, just naturalistic sound and soft music, you could totally say Ushio's the star of the show in those scenes. Nishiya's character designs are a massive part of Liz, too - the wispy bodies, the soft colors. I don't think those strong voices are drowned out by Yamada, I think she elevates them and makes them part of the package. She's still the leader of the project, but you could say that about nearly every director.

And as for episode directors, isn't working to get the episode directors on the same page and working to make the whole thing cohesive also a statement of artistic intent?

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Endorph posted:

I mean, I think that's a fundamental misunderstanding especially in Yamada's case. So much of Yamada's work comes from her collaborators, the other people she works with. She has a clear vision, but she works with other people to achieve it. She's a huge voice in promoting younger workers in Kyoani and giving them a chance to shine. Kensuke Ushio, the composer she worked with for a Silent Voice, was a huge part of Silent Voice, and he had an even bigger impact on Liz and the Blue Bird. Since Liz has long stretches with so little dialogue, just naturalistic sound and soft music, you could totally say Ushio's the star of the show in those scenes. Nishiya's character designs are a massive part of Liz, too - the wispy bodies, the soft colors. I don't think those strong voices are drowned out by Yamada, I think she elevates them and makes them part of the package. She's still the leader of the project, but you could say that about nearly every director.

drowning out the other voices isn't what i meant really, i think yamada is a good example because her collaborative nature has always been very important to her work, from the very beginning with k-on! so, i can't speak for liz and the blue bird because i haven't seen it, but regardless of her collaborators it seems that her thematic interests and ways of expressing those have remained the same, or have been expanded and built upon. i mean you could probably give some credit to her finding those and exploring them to her work with the writer on k-on and others that she worked under at kyoani, so, i dunno.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

superLINUS posted:

So how ‘bout that Happy Sugar Life, eh? At first I was all, like, “agh, lesbian pedophilia!” but then I realised it was about a murder cutie who has kidnapped a child. Better?

I kind of enjoyed the first episode just because I already knew poo poo was hosed up and I was looking forward to the penny-drop moment?
I dunno whether or not it'll keep my interest. I guess I could be here for "psychopathic high-schooler looks after her adopted daughter by murdering everyone who might be a problem".
Notable is that the little girl doesn't seem to care about her parents being MIA so maybe they were huge abusive assholes or something?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

nope

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i turned it off when i reached the bath scene

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Imagine that post but the fbi/informant voice filter on top of it and it becomes good.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Sharkopath posted:

Imagine that post but the fbi/informant voice filter on top of it and it becomes good.
lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
fbi man: agh, lesbian pedophilia

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

superLINUS posted:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

youd think just tagging the series in general would suffice

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Davincie posted:

youd think just tagging the series in general would suffice

TBF, there might be, like, one chapter in there that doesn’t include horrific poo poo happening to/around little girls.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

If four of the same tag land together, they disappear

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

not speaking to happy sugar life specifically but lol at using dynasty scans as a resource, a site where i have had to argue with people multiple times about not tagging manga and doujins with transwomen in them 'futanari'

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
This season is turning out a lot better than I expected, to the point where I'm having trouble keeping up with all the shows I'm interested in (though that's partly because I'm busy with real-life stuff.)

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's hosed up to put a shrine to the god of foot pain on top of a mountain

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Endorph posted:

not speaking to happy sugar life specifically but lol at using dynasty scans as a resource, a site where i have had to argue with people multiple times about not tagging manga and doujins with transwomen in them 'futanari'

i can't find em now but the uploading rules were linked on there at some point and i'm p sure there was a "you can't tag something yuri and futa" rule

at least they actually have a transgender tag but

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

it's insanely epic that women with dicks can't be part of yuri

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

The_White_Crane posted:

I dunno whether or not it'll keep my interest. I guess I could be here for "psychopathic high-schooler looks after her adopted daughter by murdering everyone who might be a problem".

the adoptive daughter she keeps making wedding vows with.

it's bad.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my friends, there are many shows featuring lesbains that you may watch that do not feature a massive disclaimer on the first episode

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

my friends, there are many shows featuring lesbains that you may watch that do not feature a massive disclaimer on the first episode
and some that have a massive disclaimer on the first episode but are actually good

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Even just this season has a lot of good shows with lesbians

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

The Colonel posted:

Grand Blue has a massive disclaimer at the start and a bisexual woman will be showing up in it

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
There's big man rear end and titties at the start?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

Grand Blue has a massive disclaimer at the start and a bisexual woman will be showing up in it

The Grand Blue anime throwing a huge disclaimer insisting that everyone in the show entered college two years late, and thus they're totally of age to be drinking, is pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lord Koth posted:

The Grand Blue anime throwing a huge disclaimer insisting that everyone in the show entered college two years late, and thus they're totally of age to be drinking, is pretty great.

lol

• Locked thread