Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i mean it does fine for the occasional print design but lol if your computer cant last at least 5 years. it replaced an original mbp that aged into unsupported eventually

if they released the same mba design but with a retina display itd be perfect which means theyll can the line this year

The Management posted:

can you imagine if Apple released a good desktop tower with expansion slots and a good gpu and good cooling?

i dont have to i can look at pictures of the g4 any time i want :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

The Management posted:

can you imagine if Apple released a good desktop tower with expansion slots and a good gpu and good cooling?

like, nowadays?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
apple has never delivered a working computer so idk why anyone thinks they would in the future.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

apple has never delivered a working computer so idk why anyone thinks they would in the future.

apple ii was great

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

i would pay hundreds, no hundreds of dollars for such a generic device considering you can just hackintosh one

and then install windows on it because i hate myself

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
it's almost as if the lovely keyboards with hacked-on fixes and the horrible thermal performance are causally related to the decision to cram a pro laptop and an iwatch into a millimeter-thick slab of aluminium

:thunk:

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
time to build a hackintosh

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

brap posted:

time to build a hackintosh

i call mine the sandbenders

it's made in oregon and guaranteed to melt silicon right into your lap

*puts in mouthguard*

HIT ME!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
if your solution to "apple makes poo poo computers now" is "build a good computer, then thoroughly compromise my os by hacking it to bypass all the built in security at the lowest level", you may be a loving moron.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

apple computers are good. macOS is good.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hmm, the only real advantage osx has had over windows in the last 20 years was its security, better rip that poo poo out and load unsigned kernel modules i grabbed off a forum

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
friend just texted me saying his boss wants Mac and specifically requires a TPM and wants to know which one to get

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

OldAlias posted:

apple computers are good.

this is demonstrably untrue

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jimmy Carter posted:

friend just texted me saying his boss wants Mac and specifically requires a TPM and wants to know which one to get

imac pro, op

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

if your solution to "apple makes poo poo computers now" is "build a good computer, then thoroughly compromise my os by hacking it to bypass all the built in security at the lowest level", you may be a loving moron.

you're using weasel words like "may" and "be"

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
an actual mac has no security either in case the "hit enter to get root" exploit among others wasn't hint enough

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

syscall girl posted:

you're using weasel words like "may" and "be"

well, okay, "are"

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

brap posted:

an actual mac has no security either in case the "hit enter to get root" exploit among others wasn't hint enough

if someone has physical access to your computer you're as well as hosed anyways so who cares

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

this is demonstrably true

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

OldAlias posted:

if someone has physical access to your computer you're as well as hosed anyways so who cares

it was remotely exploitable, at least according to half the people freaking out about it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

OldAlias posted:

yeah why encrypt iphones at all

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Beamed posted:

yeah why encrypt iphones at all

yeah all my portable stuff is fully encrypted so no one can steal my pole position scores (or bank account info) but the stuff at home, if you're through the door the password is "who is a good puppy"

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

I should rephrase that if you're specifically targeted, you're as well as hosed, dependent on the motivation and resources of your adversary. I won't pretend that security and encryption aren't important

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

syscall girl posted:

yeah all my portable stuff is fully encrypted so no one can steal my pole position scores (or bank account info) but the stuff at home, if you're through the door the password is "who is a good puppy"

tpm based fde has been a thing on PCs since like, 2006

it's not hard

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

OldAlias posted:

I won't pretend that security and encryption aren't important

maybe you should go back to pretending apple makes good computers

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

they do, I'm using one right now, the 2017 MBA.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lmao. how's that 1440x900 screen treating you?

like looking into a time capsule

i bet you can almost fit fully half a vertical page on that bad boy

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

it's almost as if the lovely keyboards with hacked-on fixes and the horrible thermal performance are causally related to the decision to cram a pro laptop and an iwatch into a millimeter-thick slab of aluminium

:thunk:

didnt they used to use the gaps in the keys as thermal intakes, or am i misremembering something? its almost as if having a nice keyboard means you get other nice things like decent cooling

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

syscall girl posted:

i loving loved pole position holy poo poo. can we make this the pole position thread instead

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Beamed posted:

i loving loved pole position holy poo poo. can we make this the pole position thread instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3whW65Xl54

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

The Management posted:

it would probably be a hit, but apple is obsessed with thin hardware, even for their pro products where it isn't wanted. also, people might play modern games on it, and apple's leadership loving hates games

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Toady posted:

apple's leadership loving hates games

timb was right

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

lmao. how's that 1440x900 screen treating you?

like looking into a time capsule

i bet you can almost fit fully half a vertical page on that bad boy

it’s the same amount of vertical space as the xps 13 everyone loves.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

jony neuemonic posted:

i have a top spec 2017 xps 13 and i can’t loving stand it

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
jony is going to force Apple to eventually stick low-power a-chips into everything as he eventually gets around to just pulling small rounded glass panels into a room and telling the engineers it’s his new form factor as the engineers scream and poo poo themselves

the 2020 iMac is going to be slower than an iPad 2 but be so thin that someone will eventually cut themselves open on one and bleed out on their all-white marble flooring in their office

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

OldAlias posted:

apple computers are good. macOS is good.

osx hasn't been good since mavericks

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

tpm based fde has been a thing on PCs since like, 2006

it's not hard

the phantom menace came out in 1999 op

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lol i9 in a laptop they're really chasing the Alienware dipshit market these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

jony neuemonic posted:

even that manages 180 more vertical pixels