Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Your Computer posted:

Oh yeah speaking of cats, another thing about the monhun series is that despite what you might think from the box art or screenshots the games are just oozing with charm! They're surprisingly lighthearted and don't take themselves very seriously, which is one of my favorite things about them. I knew the gameplay was good but I wasn't sure I'd like the series since I assumed it was basically gritty anime but then you boot up the game and literally the first splash screen has a cat pun. It's probably one of the reasons I've kept playing monhun for hundreds of hours, it just has a sort of relaxed atmosphere to it and all the NPCs are fantastic (especially the cats).

Something that Monster Hunter doesn't get enough praise for is the in-universe art

The symbols, the clothing, even the patterns on textiles, it all works together really well and feels like actual culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I was impatient last year and picked Monster Hunter XX (Japanese version) for the Switch. It definitely was an improvement on the 3DS versions I had played before, but I would need an English patch to progress any further. I really hope when MH XX Ultimate comes out, they release an English patch for the JP version.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

tuo posted:

Am I the only person who loathes gyro aiming?

I dislike it 99% of the time but I’ve been enjoying it in BotW surprisingly enough. In Splatoon I think it feels horrible.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Can't find the Hollow Knight thread so I'll just ask this here instead. I'm at 99% completion so these are endgame questions.

So considering I found upgrades for both my Shade Soul and Descending Dark, I assume there's also one for Howling Wraiths? Could someone point me in a vague right direction if one exists?

There's a big chained door that looks like it should open at some point connecting the Fungal Wastes and the City of Tears <-> Forgotten Crossroads elevator. Does this open? How?

Looks like the local banker ran off with my money. While it was funny to see the whole thing fall over like cardboard, do I just have to replenish my lost Geo from enemies or do I have a chance of finding her somewhere else? I didn't find any trace of where she might have gone and the game's pretty large to have to check every room in it.

Still missing a couple charms, so I know I haven't managed to find every secret room. I do love this game but man does it hide its secrets well.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Kilometers Davis posted:

I dislike it 99% of the time but I’ve been enjoying it in BotW surprisingly enough. In Splatoon I think it feels horrible.

Yeah I have trouble with it. The only times that it clicks is when I figure out I need to use it to correct my aiming rather than trying to aim with it.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

FPzero posted:

Can't find the Hollow Knight thread so I'll just ask this here instead. I'm at 99% completion so these are endgame questions.

So considering I found upgrades for both my Shade Soul and Descending Dark, I assume there's also one for Howling Wraiths? Could someone point me in a vague right direction if one exists?

There's a big chained door that looks like it should open at some point connecting the Fungal Wastes and the City of Tears <-> Forgotten Crossroads elevator. Does this open? How?

Looks like the local banker ran off with my money. While it was funny to see the whole thing fall over like cardboard, do I just have to replenish my lost Geo from enemies or do I have a chance of finding her somewhere else? I didn't find any trace of where she might have gone and the game's pretty large to have to check every room in it.

Still missing a couple charms, so I know I haven't managed to find every secret room. I do love this game but man does it hide its secrets well.

I honestly forget the answer to the 2nd question but I can answer question 1 and 3.

In Order:

Have you been somewhere there's a lot of spirits? Maybe found a room in such a place with a bunch of statues that seemingly did nothing?

She ran off to take a vacation. Somewhere famous.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

FPzero posted:

Howling Wraiths upgrade is in the abyss. You have to do something unusual to get it instead of just finding it somewhere. I had no idea until I looked it up but hopefully this hint will guide you.

You can find the banker relaxing in a luxurious place in the city of tears, and you can get your money back and then some

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Bloop posted:

You are supposed to use the right stick and gyro. Neither could possibly work as well on their own. It is seamless and fluid, although it might be something you have to get used to.

If I can already comfortably turn with the gyro fast enough to track targets, why do I need the right thumbstick to arbitrarily change an invisible camera direction when I'm already facing the direction I want to go?

The Bloop posted:

If the gyro was able to turn you all around at any useful speed (like to 180) it would also move so fast that precise aiming would be nigh impossible. It simply cannot do both in the way you seem to be describing.

No it isn't. That's what fine motor control and a deadzone is for, along with dialing the sensitivity in on the settings to something you're comfortable with. The only impediment here is still that right-stick-controlled camera saying you are locked facing a direction and only looking around not actually turning like you are with just regular twin-stick controls.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If I can already comfortably turn with the gyro fast enough to track targets, why do I need the right thumbstick to arbitrarily change an invisible camera direction when I'm already facing the direction I want to go?

No it isn't. That's what fine motor control and a deadzone is for, along with dialing the sensitivity in on the settings to something you're comfortable with.
Nah you're wrong.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

How would a deadzone work with the gyro controls... how would you turn continuously in one direction without turning all the way around... it sounds like you want the gyro to work like a virtual stick where if you’re off center it will keep drifting in that direction, which sounds awful. or i don’t get what you’re saying

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Thanks, I was able to figure out both of the things you two answered. Now to get back to the Grimm Troupe and maybe also find those other charms.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Gyro's good, it's not for everyone v:shobon:v

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No it isn't. That's what fine motor control and a deadzone is for, along with dialing the sensitivity in on the settings to something you're comfortable with. The only impediment here is still that right-stick-controlled camera saying you are locked facing a direction and only looking around not actually turning like you are with just regular twin-stick controls.

Yeah you're just wrong unless you want to stand up and spin around a bunch.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
really odd that Captain Toad doesn't have a 'Restart Course' function besides dying

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

b_d posted:

How would a deadzone work with the gyro controls... how would you turn continuously in one direction without turning all the way around... it sounds like you want the gyro to work like a virtual stick where if you’re off center it will keep drifting in that direction, which sounds awful. or i don’t get what you’re saying

For starters gyro controls are not 1:1. That's why the sensitivity slider's there and you don't really need to move it much in either direction to hit the maximum turning radius even in the minus range.

Seymour Buttz posted:

Yeah you're just wrong unless you want to stand up and spin around a bunch.

Are you guys all just swinging the right joy-con around energetically in front of you or what? Because you really don't need that much movement to get it working.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Nightmare King Grimm is the last thing I have to beat in Hollow Knight and I'm pretty sure it's not gonna happen. Every other boss I've more or less figured out, but this one is a doozy.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Dizz posted:

really odd that Captain Toad doesn't have a 'Restart Course' function besides dying

existence is pain

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Over There posted:

Yeah I have trouble with it. The only times that it clicks is when I figure out I need to use it to correct my aiming rather than trying to aim with it.

My main thing is that I don’t really have any issues aiming in Spla2n with the sticks so I never see the point getting better with the gyro. It’s cool that it works for others though.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm level 8 in Splat 2 and I've noticed that it's very easy to get first on your team. Almost no one actually tries to paint the flood and everyone just tries to kill each other.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Kilometers Davis posted:

My main thing is that I don’t really have any issues aiming in Spla2n with the sticks so I never see the point getting better with the gyro. It’s cool that it works for others though.
1v1 me bitch.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Digimon Survive scan

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Digimon Survival Horror game?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's my understanding that Digimon are digital monsters and Digimon are the champions? Is that accurate?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

For starters gyro controls are not 1:1. That's why the sensitivity slider's there and you don't really need to move it much in either direction to hit the maximum turning radius even in the minus range.

Are you guys all just swinging the right joy-con around energetically in front of you or what? Because you really don't need that much movement to get it working.

Yes we are wildly flailing like baboons, straight into S and X ranks

I do not want the gyro to turn my body, that's not what it's for. You move your body with L forward, back, strafe. You turn your body with R, clockwise, counterclockwise, and you aim your gun, move your hands and head, if you will, with gyro. They do different things. You want less control.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Over There posted:

I'm level 8 in Splat 2 and I've noticed that it's very easy to get first on your team. Almost no one actually tries to paint the flood and everyone just tries to kill each other.

Pretty much at low ranks. Once you get into the ranked modes (And above like B-) this will change. You're in the kiddie pool with toddlers and n00bs

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Manky posted:

Gyro's good, it's not for everyone v:shobon:v

Gyro like botw is good
Gyro like splatoon is more nintendo fuckery and you just gotta :dealwithit:

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No I actually play pretty much exclusively in handheld mode so there's not much movement going on at all. That's what the sticks are for, big turns.

You're saying you want to turn exclusively with gyro controls, right? Unless you want to turn and stay turned when you want your aim to turn around, that's a bad idea and I guess I just don't understand how you imagine it working.

Edit: I do agree that turning off Y-axis stick aiming with gyro enabled is dumb and unnecessary. More control = better.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Real hurthling! posted:

Gyro like botw is good
Gyro like splatoon is more nintendo fuckery and you just gotta :dealwithit:
Gryo in BOTW and gyro in Splatoon are exactly the same, which makes me wonder if you don't even understand how it works.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

American McGay posted:

Gryo in BOTW and gyro in Splatoon are exactly the same, which makes me wonder if you don't even understand how it works.

No they arent

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Seymour Buttz posted:

Edit: I do agree that turning off Y-axis stick aiming with gyro enabled is dumb and unnecessary. More control = better.

I fully agree with this too. Part of the problem is it just turns me off trying to use the right thumbstick at all because it feels like it's not working while the gyro IS, so I just lose interest in using the right thumbstick at all rather than trying to combine the two.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Axiom Verge, worth it?

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

American McGay posted:

They're not though. I'm on the "gyro is good" side but those two games use it differently.

BOTW: Gyro aim when aiming down sights only. Full aim control with right stick + gyro.

Splat: Gyro aim all the time. No Y-axis stick aiming with gyro enabled.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Axiom Verge, worth it?

no

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Axiom Verge, worth it?

Theres way better in the genre unless you want to see why one man game dev is a road fraught with weird decisions

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Seymour Buttz posted:

They're not though. I'm on the "gyro is good" side but those two games use it differently.

BOTW: Gyro aim when aiming down sights only. Full aim control with right stick + gyro.

Lol owned, mcgay

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Digital Osmosis posted:

Hollow Knight is Definitely Not For Me, the only souls game I made any progress in in Bloodborne. I love me some metroidvanias... but the ones where you can grind your way past bosses are the only ones I ever make progress in.

Uh, this means basically none of the actual Metroid games themselves, right?

I mean I guess Metroid 1 you can argue about grinding enemy spawns for health refills but that's a different thing

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

Sounds like he just wants the gyro to work like a mouse, where you can turn your character left and right just by moving the cursor that way. I don't see why this is such a big deal that people are getting upset over? Seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to want, and I'm surprised it doesn't actually work that way (I haven't played Splatoon).

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Seymour Buttz posted:

Hold R while playing BOTW. That's Splatoon. You're asking for a sort of "down sights" aiming control to be added to Splatoon, which is laughable for that sort of gameplay.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Lol you're dense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

American McGay posted:

Hold R while playing BOTW. That's Splatoon. You're asking for a sort of "down sights" aiming control to be added to Splatoon, which is laughable for that sort of gameplay.

Huh?? I'm not asking for anything??

You said two things were exactly the same that are pretty different. That's it.

• Locked thread