Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

TK-42-1 posted:

It wasn't so much getting bored as emotionally manipulating Doc and making him feel like poo poo while having a fun party with friends and drugs while also stealing all his poo poo. It's a pretty good arch compared to say, wanting to play chess.

Hey now it is a classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah I really like the Scooby episode. Shaggy and Scooby as the Son of Sam and his neighbor's labrador is hilariously dark but apt.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
HE'S PISSING ON YOUR LAWN

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Please, Groove, just say somethin' to 'em; say a "hi" or anything, just so they'll believe me!

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Ghost Leviathan posted:

...and Mystery Inc leaves the possibility that the Groovy Gang could well be canon.

Umm, could you flesh this out for me, please?

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah I really like the Scooby episode. Shaggy and Scooby as the Son of Sam and his neighbor's labrador is hilariously dark but apt.

They're hands down the best of the stand-ins, followed by Patty Hearst Daphne. Velma Solanas is great as long as you get the joke, Fred Bundy always felt like the biggest letdown. Gimme Jim Jones or Charles Manson Fred.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I wish they had unmasked john wayne gacy in his clown outfit.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I like that Groovystein is a citizen of ARGH.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Both Sonny and Ted show up as zombies in the URGH episode also.

Most people probably know this, but it was only on my last rewatch that I realized Hammer and Publick are in the jury during the Monarch's trial. And Trump is attending Wide Wale's party.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mantis42 posted:

Most people probably know this, but it was only on my last rewatch that I realized Hammer and Publick are in the jury during the Monarch's trial. And Trump is attending Wide Wale's party.

I've caught a few of Hammer's paintings on the wall in the background in season 1.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mantis42 posted:

I read that they regretted adding him to that scene.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

It seemed creepy and weird at the time, but I guess it's kind of funny that a modern art guy goes to arch Venture because he's supposed to and then he gets bored and leaves after his henchmen loot everything.

it makes total sense in the venture brothers universe that where organized archvillany is an actual thing that people do, there is an art collective in new york that engages in conceptual arching

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think the idea was to make him feel like a product: Promoted, celebrated, then used and thrown away.

Of course, I don't think Doc got the point, since he's already been through that song and dance literally his entire life.

yeah exactly. instead of smashing into his hangar and stealing his poo poo, they're going to smash into his psyche and steal his self esteem

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

luxury handset posted:

yeah exactly. instead of smashing into his hangar and stealing his poo poo, they're going to smash into his psyche and steal his self esteem

Joke's on them, he has none!

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

tarlibone posted:

I loved it when the Scooby gang showed up. Especially fun was how purely twisted everything was, in particular with Sonny and Groovy. "Yours is the veil of blood. Yours is the sword of Michael!!" "Shut up! Shut up! I can't hear myself think!!" And the "Groovy treats" being just a bottle of pills (presumably anti-psychotics)... delicious. Dark, yes, but so fun. That gang tickled me deep down in the dark places where only bad things grow.

But... "Guess Whos' Coming to State Dinner"... I'm less of a fan. Yeah, there were some laughs to be had here and there, but it feels like they wrote half of it trying to make some kind of jab at certain politicians, and the other half trying to lighten it up and make it more of a standard ad-Venture. Having club soda defeat the forcefield was just dumb, too--yeah, it's a callback to a line earlier in the episode, but it's just dumb. Much better, and much more Venture, would have been having JJ fairly quickly sciencing them out of their predicament.

I read the pills as pain killers. And using his addiction to control him. “I’m siiiick maaaan” withdrawals.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Boooooook!!!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Shindragon posted:

Huh learn something new everyday. I was wondering why Fred had a gun. Edit: There was also Race Bannon. Too bad he’s dead though. I think there was a commentary how there was some copyright issues using Hana Barbera characters even though they were part of the company. I think they almost could not use Action Johnny because HB didn’t like how Johnny was a crack head. I might be getting some things mixed up.

IIRC they started calling him Action Johnny instead of Johnny Quest because of HB and can't just straight up use the original names anymore.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Johnny is one of the few characters that went from really bad to super good over the years. Especially with the 'you been kissin' your wife's rear end? aaafter i put herpe in there?'

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
I think the Dr. Quymn episode is saved by one line. Brock asks Dr. Venture, "So no more teaching chimps to fight, huh?" And then he mumbles in his gravel-y, beautiful Patrick Warburton voice, "Thanks for that new personal low, by the way."

It really just sells their friendship in a way that the rest of the series doesn't quite touch on. Like, you can point to any number of moments where Brock demonstrates care for the boys, but how does he feel about Doc? I would sum it up as bemused obligation.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:siren: The book is real-er :siren:

My email posted:

We have good news! One of your pre-ordered items is now eligible for release date delivery and has been upgraded at no additional charge. Your new delivery estimate is:

Cartoon Network "Go Team Venture!: The Art and Making of The Venture Bros."
Estimated arrival date: July 31, 2018

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

:siren: The book is real-er :siren:

I came here to post that!

It's happening. It's really happening!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Sorry that's what my post was supposed to get across as well. Book indeed.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I can't wait until someone gifts me the complete 10 season Venture Bros hyperdisc box set when I'm on my deathbed in 60 years.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Improbable Lobster posted:

IIRC they started calling him Action Johnny instead of Johnny Quest because of HB and can't just straight up use the original names anymore.

They did that because they wanted to distance themselves from the johnny quest parody and be their own thing.

Cartoon network still owns all the rights of all the old cartoons. Doc and Jackson were told flat out they could use anyone but they decided to make their own instead.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Cojawfee posted:

I can't wait until someone gifts me the complete 10 season Venture Bros Amazon MemoryCube box set when I'm on my deathbed in 60 years.

And yeah, nice to know the book will be *here* on the 31st, and not just *shipping* on the 31st. It'll be nice to thumb through it before the 5th.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Apparently the book is already out in book stores, Amazon is just waiting until the 31st for some reason.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

They did that because they wanted to distance themselves from the johnny quest parody and be their own thing.

Cartoon network still owns all the rights of all the old cartoons. Doc and Jackson were told flat out they could use anyone but they decided to make their own instead.

Really? Because I could have sworn I heard them say pretty much the opposite in the commentary of one of the DVD's when we first see either "Action Johnny" or "Red." I thought they said that there was an issue with the rights, and they weren't allowed to use the characters directly anymore. But, while CN does probably own the property, the issue (again, if memory serves) was that they didn't want their IP to be... well, abused, I guess... by Doc and Jackson.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

tarlibone posted:

Really? Because I could have sworn I heard them say pretty much the opposite in the commentary of one of the DVD's when we first see either "Action Johnny" or "Red." I thought they said that there was an issue with the rights, and they weren't allowed to use the characters directly anymore. But, while CN does probably own the property, the issue (again, if memory serves) was that they didn't want their IP to be... well, abused, I guess... by Doc and Jackson.

Pretty sure it's just something along the lines of they can still use it that way, but it'd really be preferred that they not do that if they're going to make them hardcore drug addicts with weird issues.

I think there's even something on material put out after his nickname on the show changed to "Red" that showed his full name was still Roger Bannon - just like it is on Johnny Quest, since "Race" is just his nickname.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

tarlibone posted:

From what I've heard it's because that's around the time that a Johnny Quest movie started getting pushed around Hollywood, and film rights can muck up things a bit, see the "Bat Embargo" for a good example of this kind of thing

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

drrockso20 posted:

From what I've heard it's because that's around the time that a Johnny Quest movie started getting pushed around Hollywood, and film rights can muck up things a bit, see the "Bat Embargo" for a good example of this kind of thing

IIRC Cartoon Network wanted to do a JQ reboot, made them stop using JQ names to avoid confusion with the new series, and then the reboot fell through and Jackson and Doc decided to just move forward using the alternate names.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Probably for the best. Doesn't really make sense to have a real cartoon character in the show and then also have a bunch of knockoffs.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, it's a show where we have both analogues to Scooby-Doo as characters in the show alongside direct references to Scooby-Doo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pershing posted:

Umm, could you flesh this out for me, please?

Long story short, there's a point late in the show where it's revealed there's been dozens of analogues to the Scooby Gang for over a century at least attracted to the same mystery, from all walks of life and with various talking animal buddies. With variants as wide as an all-male group of monks or an all-female group of cowgirls. (though it's easy to see the gender-swapped analogues) A gang of murderous maniacs who seem to do the same endless wandering thing with more random murder seem perfectly in-theme.

And as for the Jonny Quest thing, it also seems like Doc and Jackson both maintaining consistency and being a good sport about it even if CN no longer has the same mandate.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Heidi and the Yodelers was my favorite as a kid

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
In retrospect it may also be a meta-joke about the zillion Scooby-Doo knockoffs, often by the same makers. I think Speed Buggy showed up in the museum episode.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I find it extra funny given Action Johnny and the Pirate Captain imply the Scooby Gang exist in the VB world, and Mystery Inc leaves the possibility that the Groovy Gang could well be canon.
Velma and Daphne were also name-checked in the episode Self Medication.

Cojawfee posted:

Apparently the book is already out in book stores, Amazon is just waiting until the 31st for some reason.
Since it's published by Dark Horse Comics, I'm guessing that it's falling under the same limitations as regular comics? Amazon is obligated to wait two weeks after specialized stores before shipping them.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I always get confused about Johnny Quest, because I never really saw the original and everything I know comes from the 96 reboot where Race had a daughter and half the plots revolved around going through a virtual reality of the shittiest CGI you've ever seen.

That and Cartoon Network's first Johnny Quest Parody.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Wait.. wasn't Toby Danger on Freakazoid? Which was before CN?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, Freakazoid! was on WB, not CN.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

In retrospect it may also be a meta-joke about the zillion Scooby-Doo knockoffs, often by the same makers. I think Speed Buggy showed up in the museum episode.

Let's hope the new season contains a JabberJaw gag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Let's hope the new season contains a JabberJaw gag.

What does Scooby Doo that we neglect?