Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is HDR that really intense color saturation you see from terrible facebook "professional" photogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

zoux posted:

Is HDR that really intense color saturation you see from terrible facebook "professional" photogs

No, it's supposed to be about more accurate contrast and more varied, brighter colours that pop more, facilitated by the deeper black levels that are possible with modern TVs. When done right, it is way more impressive than 4K could ever be, but of course it takes work to do it right.

Esco is correct, currently it's way better used in video games than in TV and movies. Netflix has some impressive examples with their original content, though - Altered Carbon looks really good, for example.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 18, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

zoux posted:

No, that's a different use of the name.

Getting down to the most simplistic explanation, it's your available scale of brightness within a given scene and it can be just as beneficial to dark scenes as bright scenes. It also affects available color saturation at a given brightness level.

Think of a dark room with one bright light source. In SDR if you want to show a figure shrouded in darkness in the corner of the room with any detail, you will have to blowout detail in the bright light source to give enough dynamic range to the shadows in the scene.

In HDR, you can have both. The light can be very bight and detailed (subtle color variations, good saturation) while the dark portions of the screen have enough brightness to show their details.

To put it another way, if a bright source in the scene has an arbitrary brightness of 100, you might only have a range of 1-10 to show something dark in a scene and still maintain the relative difference in those two things. However, if your light source can max out at 1000, you can use 1-100 to give shadow detail to your dark areas while still having a greater difference between the bright light source and the dark areas.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 18, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

Well, your computer monitor likely can't show HDR, so no. If it could you'd know because you'd have paid for it.

That's usually just color saturation pumped way up.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Watching through season 3 of Bosch now. There's about three other pairs of detectives fleshed out now and I'd probably watch a spin off series with any of them.

Edit: not to mention special agent x

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 18, 2018

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Crate and Barrel!!!

Also thanks for the HDR knowledge, all

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Aphrodite posted:

Well, your computer monitor likely can't show HDR, so no. If it could you'd know because you'd have paid for it.

That's usually just color saturation pumped way up.

Photography HDR is the process of taking shots at varying levels of exposure (‘bracketing’) and blending the frames.

Cameras can’t expose dark and bright elements together very well, so say you were selling your house on the beach and wanted to show off both the kitchen and the beautiful view, you’d need to take a photo that exposes the view (and makes the room look super dark), and then one that exposes the room (and blows out the view from the windows to white). In photomatix or photoshop, you’d then blend the two together.

Of course you could do this in a single shot if you have high powered strobes to bring the exposure up inside, or recover from the shadows if not (modern camera sensors are getting seriously good at this).

Sadly, a lot of what you see online marked as HDR photography are tone mapped monstrosities that should be burnt, along with the people that made them. Good HDR should essentially be seamless.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I'd also say that Dolby Vision is really frickin rad and I'd seek it out if you don't have it. The colors on my new TV are amazing although you tend not to notice after a few months.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Iron Crowned posted:

I have to ask, how did The Amazing World of Gumball avoid the terrible fanbase?

Gumball’s first couple of seasons are mostly unremarkable, it wasn’t until like season 3 or 4 that they really started to get totally nuts (in a good way) and, uh, well I don’t like using the term, but it’s gotten pretty woke. Because everyone slept on it, it was able to develop itself into something special without having to feel like it had to appeal to anyone specific.

My mother-in-law saw the episode where the boys catch their cheating on their mother... or so they think, but it turns out he’s cross dressing so he can hang out with the Golden Girls. It was, like, the last thing she expected to see in a kids show and actually talked to us about if we thought it was appropriate for our daughter... we pointed out that it’s condemning toxic masculinity, not cross dressing, which we are 110% ok with, and she didn’t have a response to that.

There’s so many legitimately great episodes in the past couple seasons. The Highlander one (THERE CAN OOOONLY BE ONE), the one where Nicole’s elementary school rival returns that culminates in a full-on DBZ fight (with an art shift to match), the one where Gumball becomes an SJW...

Honestly, check out Gumball if you have Hulu. It’s one of the best shows on TV right now.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Zypher posted:

Unrelated to this show: gently caress HDR.

The cart is leading the horse here. There are no HDR monitors on set — the technology hasn’t caught up yet. It’s a complete guessing game and a lot of old tricks don’t quite work anymore (for example, a bare light bulb will make your eyes bleed in HDR untreated; but it’s been en vogue to use practical lamps in camera to key an actor’s face).

If you’re watching something in HDR right now, it’s likely the colorist’s triaged and bandaged version of what the director and cinematographer intended.

I mean, I'm just some idiot on the internet so I have no idea, but this is what I assume is also true about HFR: that the old techniques don't work anymore yet people are still filming them that way.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

lelandjs posted:

Gumball’s first couple of seasons are mostly unremarkable, it wasn’t until like season 3 or 4 that they really started to get totally nuts (in a good way) and, uh, well I don’t like using the term, but it’s gotten pretty woke. Because everyone slept on it, it was able to develop itself into something special without having to feel like it had to appeal to anyone specific.

My mother-in-law saw the episode where the boys catch their cheating on their mother... or so they think, but it turns out he’s cross dressing so he can hang out with the Golden Girls. It was, like, the last thing she expected to see in a kids show and actually talked to us about if we thought it was appropriate for our daughter... we pointed out that it’s condemning toxic masculinity, not cross dressing, which we are 110% ok with, and she didn’t have a response to that.

There’s so many legitimately great episodes in the past couple seasons. The Highlander one (THERE CAN OOOONLY BE ONE), the one where Nicole’s elementary school rival returns that culminates in a full-on DBZ fight (with an art shift to match), the one where Gumball becomes an SJW...

Honestly, check out Gumball if you have Hulu. It’s one of the best shows on TV right now.

I was on a Gumball kick recently and one of the episodes I watched had a full on Die Hard parody out of nowhere that ran just long enough for you to get the reference before immediately subverting it. The show is so goddamn smart.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DivisionPost posted:

I was on a Gumball kick recently and one of the episodes I watched had a full on Die Hard parody out of nowhere that ran just long enough for you to get the reference before immediately subverting it. The show is so goddamn smart.

Yeah, when I was holed up in a hotel for a few months 5 years back, Gumball and Regular Show were the two things that kept me going. I really need to get back to watching it on Hulu

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How does Gumball compare to Adventure Time / SU / Gravity Falls

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I mean opinion is subjective but I'd say it's the best out of that lineup. The different art styles are fun.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I haven't seen any of them, but I barely knew Gumball existed before this week so I'd say that means it has the least poo poo fanbase and is probably the best of the group!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Croatoan posted:

I mean opinion is subjective but I'd say it's the best out of that lineup. The different art styles are fun.

That really is one thing I love about Gumball, outside of families, no two characters are even in the same style.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4EmfM9isHo

Hmm yes I will watch this

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/markduplass/status/1019674758047195136?s=21

the gently caress is this poo poo

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

A strong response:

https://twitter.com/crushingbort/status/1019687985636368384?s=21

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm not really sure what the Bernie segment was about. Was Cohen mocking him or what? I think Sanders stayed on message very well and wasn't really fooled into anything.

I know it won’t work, but without stuff like that, chuds would just say “WHY DONT YOU GO AFTER BOTH SIDES GMMMMMMMMMM?”

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Shapiro is the guy that gets outraged over the most inane poo poo. He's an 80 year old man in the body of a 30 year old. He's just the most dull and inconsequential "pundit" ever.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

4K is a wonder, so let's not undersell it. The detail level is nuts. But it's absolutely the truth that more greatness comes from HDR. That's what makes it really breathtaking.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Shapiro is the guy that gets outraged over the most inane poo poo. He's an 80 year old man in the body of a 30 year old. He's just the most dull and inconsequential "pundit" ever.

More like the body of an eight year old

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

HDR and WCG.

Basically, UHD is a catch-all for a triangle of upgrades.

4k resolution
High Dynamic Range
Wide Color Gamut

Each piece can be implemented individually, but the combination is the real ticket.

It's important to understand that they are three separate things though because not all 4k TVs handle the three sides of the triangle the same.

A lot of lower level 4k TVs, while accepting HDR and WCG signals, cannot get bright enough to display HDR nor have wide enough color range for full cinema color. They are just higher resolution TVs.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

How does Gumball compare to Adventure Time / SU / Gravity Falls

Gumball doesn’t have an overarching plot, though there is continuity across episodes (like Bob’s Burgers). It starts off goofy and a bit irreverent, but doesn’t have a ton of lolrandom like early AT did.

With Gumball you’re in it for the humor and the characters. Really the closest comparisons are Bob’s Burgers or early Simpsons, they’re all animated family comedies that create humor by slightly exaggerating reality.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

I haven't seen any of them, but I barely knew Gumball existed before this week so I'd say that means it has the least poo poo fanbase and is probably the best of the group!

It's pretty funny, I've watched like two episodes

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I don't know

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

bull3964 posted:

HDR and WCG.

Basically, UHD is a catch-all for a triangle of upgrades.

4k resolution
High Dynamic Range
Wide Color Gamut

Each piece can be implemented individually, but the combination is the real ticket.

It's important to understand that they are three separate things though because not all 4k TVs handle the three sides of the triangle the same.

A lot of lower level 4k TVs, while accepting HDR and WCG signals, cannot get bright enough to display HDR nor have wide enough color range for full cinema color. They are just higher resolution TVs.

Thank you, I didn’t know the right name of the technology. When I said Dolby Vision is totally worth getting I did not realize that is just their name brand version of WCG. I stand by the fact that that was way more of an upgrade than going to 4K.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

He deleted it, what he say

edit: oh, he said Ben Shapiro is a reasonable person. lmao Ben Shapiro makes Joe Rogan look good

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Here’s the deleted tweets.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

He deleted it, what he say

edit: oh, he said Ben Shapiro is a reasonable person. lmao Ben Shapiro makes Joe Rogan look good

WTF is wrong with Joe Rogan?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Croatoan posted:

Thank you, I didn’t know the right name of the technology. When I said Dolby Vision is totally worth getting I did not realize that is just their name brand version of WCG. I stand by the fact that that was way more of an upgrade than going to 4K.

Heh, actually, it's their specific implementation of HDR. WCG is standardized for UHD with the REC2020 colorspace which is a bit wider than the DCI-P3 colorspace used in digital cinema. Both are a poo poo-ton wider than REC709 used for regular HD (rec2020 is 72% larger than rec709.)

HDR has a few standards right now

Dolby Vision
HDR10
HDR10+
HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma)
Technicolor HDR

HDR10 is usually the basic standard that everyone supports. It's the default HDR standard for UHD disc (if a disc has HDR, it has to at least support HDR10). HDR10 is static metadata, basically the scale of the dynamic range is set across the whole movie. Dolby Vision is HDR with dynamic metadata. Part of Dolby Vision is that the capabilities of your TV are taken into account (min/max brightness level and other tone mapping) and the scene will be adjusted to ensure that high brightness portions don't clip detail and low brightness portions aren't crushed.

HDR10+ is the dynamic version of HDR10. HLG is what youtube and directv uses. Technicolor HDR isn't really in use by much of anything.

LG, Vizio, TCL, and Sony are the big DV supporters. Samsung is the big HDR10+ supporter. In the grand scheme of things though, the presence of HDR in any form is a much bigger thing than the differences of the types.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rocksicles posted:

WTF is wrong with Joe Rogan?

He's largely harmless. I like him as a person, but when he had Shapiro on he agreed with Shapiro's stupid impotent rant about how there are only two genders and if anyone asks "What's your gender?" the only thing that ever means is "What chromosomes were you born with?" and how he refuses to call trans people by their preferred pronoun etc. In other words Shapiro doesn't believe that gender and birth sex are different things. And Rogan agreed with him at that moment.

Mostly I was just making a joke because Rogan does believe some pretty dumb poo poo (but so do I)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

He's largely harmless. I like him as a person, but when he had Shapiro on he agreed with Shapiro's stupid impotent rant about how there are only two genders and if anyone asks "What's your gender?" the only thing that ever means is "What chromosomes were you born with?" and how he refuses to call trans people by their preferred pronoun etc. In other words Shapiro doesn't believe that gender and birth sex are different things. And Rogan agreed with him at that moment.

Mostly I was just making a joke because Rogan does believe some pretty dumb poo poo (but so do I)

Yeah i watched that. He's said a few times in other interviews that he's on the fence about the whole thing. In terms of it being a legit thing and being a mental health issue at the same time.

Never take one interview with a nutbag as his views over all he chops and changes a fair bit

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I credit Joe Rogan because I think he genuinely has questions and wants to understand how people think. I can see him changing his mind on a bunch of things eventually. Shapiro will be a stain to the day he dies.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

I credit Joe Rogan because I think he genuinely has questions and wants to understand how people think. I can see him changing his mind on a bunch of things eventually. Shapiro will be a stain to the day he dies.

Joe went from a dummy with a brain to a wise dude with a lot of room for changing his views. I used to hate him because of his conspiracy views, now i think he's an important voice.
A 3 hour interview gives both parties a lot of rope to hang themselves.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I just watched the last three episodes of Ghosted, too many good shows fell under the knife this year :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah. Like I said I like Rogan as a person, hell I loved Fear Factor because of him and of course Newsradio.

He's a little too far on the conspiracy train than I am, though, and I'm like, pretty far down that route already. To his credit, he makes fun of all the obvious bullshit like the Blink-182 guy. And I do like his podcast.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mu Zeta posted:

Shapiro is the guy that gets outraged over the most inane poo poo. He's an 80 year old man in the body of a 30 year old.

Who looks like a 12 year old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I watched the first 2.5 seasons of Agebts of SHIELD live and just got around to catching up on it now. Finished season 3 tonight and they just teased LMD's. Does poo poo get as wacky as in the comics because I am so on board for that in a live action TV show.