Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Arcsquad12 posted:

No stealth in the traditional sense. Once someone sees you, you can't hide, so the key is to be where they aren't looking.
Human eyes aren't that good at seeing things dozens of kilometres away even when they're lit up like a Christmas tree against a black background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ghostlight posted:

Human eyes aren't that good at seeing things dozens of kilometres away even when they're lit up like a Christmas tree against a black background.

You wouldn't be using human eyes for the most part. Heck, you're not going to have much of a direct view of the outside at all, if you're fighting. Which is another way in which it will be a lot like being in a submarine. Radar and other active and passive radiation and particle sensors, along with whatever interstellar equivalent they'll find to radio transponders for identifying friendly spacecraft, collated to form a composite map of your surroundings.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Wouldn't space battles end up being light seconds away from the nearest foe and throwing lethal space trash at each other?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You wouldn't be using human eyes for the most part. Heck, you're not going to have much of a direct view of the outside at all, if you're fighting. Which is another way in which it will be a lot like being in a submarine. Radar and other active and passive radiation and particle sensors, along with whatever interstellar equivalent they'll find to radio transponders for identifying friendly spacecraft, collated to form a composite map of your surroundings.
That was the direction I was going in. Without your literal eyes you're reliant on instrumentation looking for specific things that can be fooled or baffled.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ghostlight posted:

That was the direction I was going in. Without your literal eyes you're reliant on instrumentation looking for specific things that can be fooled or baffled.

Ah, but your eyes can also be fooled and baffled. See the important training video by the Monty Python Military Institute, How Not To Be Seen.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Ghostlight posted:

...Unlike human eyes?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Anyway. Dan, if you're reading this in the midst of... whatever the gently caress this weird derail is, I just want you to know how much I enjoyed your tweet thread on the RIPline: The Machine That Kills Children. Every tweet made me laugh even harder than the last. And I would totally be down for it if you actually made a video or two on other infamous Goon-made DIY Disasters, because god knows this forum is loaded with them.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Okay you guys got me, there is no stealth in space.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Anyway. Dan, if you're reading this in the midst of... whatever the gently caress this weird derail is, I just want you to know how much I enjoyed your tweet thread on the RIPline: The Machine That Kills Children. Every tweet made me laugh even harder than the last. And I would totally be down for it if you actually made a video or two on other infamous Goon-made DIY Disasters, because god knows this forum is loaded with them.

It would be good for more people to witness the DIY failures of Goon Engineering.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

What I find particularly interesting is how some people respond strongly to the projects/failures themselves (I'm in this camp, personally) while others it's all about how FYAD roasted the person. I tried a bit harder to capture this with the Grovertub thread, since the interplay between the thread and BeatmasterJ is integral to the story, but for a lot of the classics there's really two parallel stories to tell.

I'm going to test drive a couple more on Twitter before I try something a bit more committed than a Tweet thread, find the right balance of "here was the next stage of the progress" and "here's how the thread responded."

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Ghostlight posted:

Okay you guys got me, there is no stealth in space.

I don't mean to be mean. From what I've read almost any spaceship is going to be exceptionally hard to hide in space because of the heat that they will inevitably generate will stick out like a sore thumb compared to just about anything and can be easily detected with simple tools. They'll also reflect at least some light no matter what which creates it's own problem.

I've heard that a way around this is creating a complex heat sink system that can 'store' the heat generated for some time and mask that heat marker, but this can only be temporary (which actually makes the WW2 submarine analogy stronger) since only so much heat can be taken on at a time before you start to burn the ship from the inside. Actually this was a plot thing in Mass Effect around the Normandy and is a gameplay consideration in Elite: Dangerous from what I understand, so it's something that sci-fi has toyed with.

Overall space battles would almost certainly take place at almost unimaginable distances and speeds where considerations like the delay of the speed of light might have to be taken on so your human eyes and reactions would be pretty useless.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FoldableHuman posted:

What I find particularly interesting is how some people respond strongly to the projects/failures themselves (I'm in this camp, personally) while others it's all about how FYAD roasted the person. I tried a bit harder to capture this with the Grovertub thread, since the interplay between the thread and BeatmasterJ is integral to the story, but for a lot of the classics there's really two parallel stories to tell.

I'm going to test drive a couple more on Twitter before I try something a bit more committed than a Tweet thread, find the right balance of "here was the next stage of the progress" and "here's how the thread responded."

Well I certainly look forward to it. They've been very entertaining reads thus far.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

OmanyteJackson posted:

The worst thing about death battles is that they approach fictional characters scientifically to create an objective answer that really should just boil down to "depends on the writer"

I don't know if they have done one for One Punch Man, yet, but it's the perfect example of why the whole question of "who would win in a fight" is pointless.

Well, yes. Of course. It's fiction, if you want to have J Jonah Jameson beat Superman and Hulk, then you can write that. Who's going to stop you? I think you might be taking their dumb show a bit too seriously. Aside from people in the youtube comments mad about Goku getting smoothied, I don't think anyone's taking the show as the end all be all on how those fights would go.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Well, yes. Of course. It's fiction, if you want to have J Jonah Jameson beat Superman and Hulk, then you can write that. Who's going to stop you? I think you might be taking their dumb show a bit too seriously. Aside from people in the youtube comments mad about Goku getting smoothied, I don't think anyone's taking the show as the end all be all on how those fights would go.

The only fight i remember coming across as outright halfassedly forced was when they jobbed Tifa right as their parent company released a new RWBY film.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

There’s actually a crowd of people who measure every little pixel and look at each word of exposition to determine an “objective” answer as to who would win a fight between two crossed-over characters, and they tend to hate Death Battle. If you show someone like this Gaara vs. Toph, Bowser vs. Ganondorf, or Yang vs. Tifa, you’ll probably get a whole entire lecture about their faulty reasoning.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Squirrel Girl beats everyone. The end.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Squirrel Girl beats everyone. The end.

If they ever decide to quit, this had better be the final episode.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Toph beats Gaara because Naruto is a bad show

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

StealthArcher posted:

The only fight i remember coming across as outright halfassedly forced was when they jobbed Tifa right as their parent company released a new RWBY film.

:shrug: It's not like SE is gonna fire back and have Yang as a fight in FF7 remake or anything. Honestly, I dunno what to say about that one.

Junpei Hyde posted:

Toph beats Gaara because Naruto is a bad show

Yeah, for having only 4~ different fighting styles Avatar had a lot more variety to them. And the stones to not constantly make it so the waterbender fights the waterbender and the earthbender has to fight the earthbender, etc etc like they're women in an action movie.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

RareAcumen posted:

:shrug: It's not like SE is gonna fire back and have Yang as a fight in FF7 remake or anything. Honestly, I dunno what to say about that one.

Yeah, for having only 4~ different fighting styles Avatar had a lot more variety to them. And the stones to not constantly make it so the waterbender fights the waterbender and the earthbender has to fight the earthbender, etc etc like they're women in an action movie.

The secret was that every fighter had their own kung Fu fighting style based on realism

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

YouTuber mostly known for fluff makes video series good enough to get a One Perfect Shot write-up:

https://twitter.com/OnePerfectShot/status/1019585081957068800

Well, at least one person came out of the TanaCon disaster as a winner. Shane Dawson is suddenly the biggest thing on the whole of YouTube again.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Oh there's nothing to say, it's dumb and unimportant. It was just a blatantly obvious job, and the circumstance made it kinda pathetic.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

StealthArcher posted:

Oh there's nothing to say, it's dumb and unimportant. It was just a blatantly obvious job, and the circumstance made it kinda pathetic.

dude someone lost a fight, its ok

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
As an apology for helping derail this conversation, here’s BrutalMoose trying out some Twinkie recipes.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

dude someone lost a fight, its ok

I'd think the first sentence got that across, guess I should never reply to replies :v:

In things that arent dumb internet fights, I dont know if this is too much politic for the thread, but hey we pass hbomb links like candy and he's even in this vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMbvtmb79N0

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Somebody make a backup of Mike J's latest video in case YouTube forcibly removes it.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

SFDebris is covering the second Gundam movie,

http://www.sfdebris.com/videos/anime/mobilesuitgundam2.php

I've only just started and there's a little rant about how he's fed up about how the Japanese VA's pronounce names. Why doesn't he watch the dub then? Were the American releases not dual audio? Because I watched the films with the English voice cast.

Edit: A little later he says they didn't dub it which... what?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Baka-nin posted:

SFDebris is covering the second Gundam movie,

http://www.sfdebris.com/videos/anime/mobilesuitgundam2.php

I've only just started and there's a little rant about how he's fed up about how the Japanese VA's pronounce names. Why doesn't he watch the dub then? Were the American releases not dual audio? Because I watched the films with the English voice cast.

Edit: A little later he says they didn't dub it which... what?

There is an English dub of the Gundam movies, but it's pretty terrible. It was made long before the Ocean Dub and features Steve Blum as CharSteve Blum. I don't think you can even get it legally unless its on VHS.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 18, 2018

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Arcsquad12 posted:

There is an English dub of the Gundam movies, but it's pretty terrible. It was made long before the Ocean Dub and features Steve Blum as CharSteve Blum. I don't think you can even get it legally unless its on VHS.

Err, you can though, its on Blu ray and looking it up there's DVD versions too. https://www.amazon.co.uk/MOBILE-SUI...=gundam+blu+ray

Looks to be pricier than a film pack from 79 should be, but since this is how the guy makes his money it shouldn't be out of his price range. Hell Amazon says all its copies are shipped from the US so this can't be one of those weird licensing negotiations breakdown things.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Baka-nin posted:

Err, you can though, its on Blu ray and looking it up there's DVD versions too. https://www.amazon.co.uk/MOBILE-SUI...=gundam+blu+ray

Looks to be pricier than a film pack from 79 should be, but since this is how the guy makes his money it shouldn't be out of his price range. Hell Amazon says all its copies are shipped from the US so this can't be one of those weird licensing negotiations breakdown things.

Those aren't the film versions. Part 1 means it's part 1 of the television series which has the English Dub, and that's also why they're pricier. He's specifically watching the compilation films because it's quicker than going through 43 episodes.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Well ok but I still put my mates Blu rays in my ps4 and watched them in English so :shrug:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Baka-nin posted:

Well ok but I still put my mates Blu rays in my ps4 and watched them in English so :shrug:

Are you watching episodes or the films? Because there is no Ocean Dub for the compilation movies.

He could be watching this particular release of the film trilogy. It doesn't come with the rough 90s dub.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I've watched the films, no idea who did the dubbing, I've never really cared.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Chuck also mentions around 27:20 in the video that he couldn't find an English dubbed version on DVD that wasn't the tv series. And I'll reiterate: the english dub of the movie trilogy is terrible.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

FoldableHuman posted:

The stories are a mix of a ton of different great particular elements and getting them all to work is like, key.

I mean you have the basic element of 'someone really messed up this piece of engineering in a funny and obvious way', but then you can go deeper and investigate just how wrong they were and just how easy it would be to see it if they'd checked. Like, for me, the punchline of engineering disaster stories is basically like the Action Park anecdote where test dummies for the loopdeloop slide came out missing their heads, or the diagram Supercar contributed to your new thread demonstrating that a sensible receiving tower would have to be the size of the washington monument. Like, the story of the RIPline is so beautiful that simply describing the physics of going down a zipline becomes the most hilarious thing in the world.

But then there's the completely different angle of that person being relentlessly dunked on in funny ways, watching them slowly catch up to their own ignorance, that they spent a lot of money on a zipline that dismembers children, realise they need to do damage control - there's so many layers.

Honestly the way folks talked about groverhaus made it really uninteresting and made me not check out the thread itself for ages because by the time I was on SA it was basically just a jokey meme about someone having built some stuff badly. The story that is badly-explained the worst imo is Doobie's Doghouse. It somehow has its own wiki but the wiki fails to really relate just how ridiculous that entire story was from beginning to end, the spell that seemed to be cast on hundreds of goons as they good-naturedly poured money into helping a man destroy a building trying to make it into a restaurant. Documenting that in video form for people to really get how amazing that event was would be amazing. Please do videos about the horrors of SA engineering

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Doobie was in the days before we had the conceptual vocabulary of milkshake duck. We didn’t know a lovable bumpkin could be a lifelong failure and racist.

The best goon nightmares start from a place of optimism and a sense that redemption for so many past nightmares is possible if it just goes right this time, then just careen straight to hell because that’s the structure of this place. It’s like some classical torment where Sisyphus suddenly remembers where he is and that he’s doomed to do it forever right as the rock starts to roll back down, but then amnesia sets in again.

I always remember when Kate Beaton registered here and was happy to find friendly dorks to talk about weird history with, then started getting people asking her to date them, then got people posting their fantasy dates with her, then didn’t post any more. I think it was like a week from beginning to end.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Arcsquad12 posted:

Chuck also mentions around 27:20 in the video that he couldn't find an English dubbed version on DVD that wasn't the tv series. And I'll reiterate: the english dub of the movie trilogy is terrible.

Well maybe if he had said that in the first place I wouldn't have been confused. But then again he was also complaining that the Japanese have more than one way to say yes, and then also complained about all the e-mails about mistakes made in the last one. Honestly I stopped watching twenty minutes in, it wasn't very enjoyable listening to him sniping at his own fan base and the jokes seemed a lot flatter than in his Trek ones.

Also the dub I watched was fine, it wasn't spectacular or anything but the plot was explained ok, the conversation dialogue sounded like conversations and not random lines that just don't work in English, and I don't remember any of the voices being super annoying or obviously mismatched to the characters. Perfectly workable, if the series dub is better than that's great, but I've already seen the highlights, so I'm just going to take your word for it.

If it really is that rare now than that's a shame, but that's market economics I guess.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Groverbath was quite a read indeed.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

business hammocks posted:

Doobie was in the days before we had the conceptual vocabulary of milkshake duck. We didn’t know a lovable bumpkin could be a lifelong failure and racist.

The best goon nightmares start from a place of optimism and a sense that redemption for so many past nightmares is possible if it just goes right this time, then just careen straight to hell because that’s the structure of this place. It’s like some classical torment where Sisyphus suddenly remembers where he is and that he’s doomed to do it forever right as the rock starts to roll back down, but then amnesia sets in again.

I always remember when Kate Beaton registered here and was happy to find friendly dorks to talk about weird history with, then started getting people asking her to date them, then got people posting their fantasy dates with her, then didn’t post any more. I think it was like a week from beginning to end.

don't forget the denouement where this exact story started circling on the forums a couple years later and embarrassed goons started constantly contacting her to apologize on behalf of SA to the point where she felt compelled to make a statement about it telling people to let it go already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

AriadneThread posted:

don't forget the denouement where this exact story started circling on the forums a couple years later and embarrassed goons started constantly contacting her to apologize on behalf of SA to the point where she felt compelled to make a statement about it telling people to let it go already

Jesus Christ. I didn’t know that part.