Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That begs the question, how can there still be super villains when motherfucking Godzilla can show up to kick your rear end at any given moment?

Ask Ghidorah and Gigan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That begs the question, how can there still be super villains when motherfucking Godzilla can show up to kick your rear end at any given moment?

Isn’t that the basic premise of 70%of Godzilla movies

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Ghidorah and Gigan are at least on the same weight class as Godzilla, what can guys like the Joker, Dr Octopus or Bizarro can do to him?

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Ghidorah and Gigan are at least on the same weight class as Godzilla, what can guys like the Joker, Dr Octopus or Bizarro can do to him?

Gigan and Ghidorah are basically space mercenaries. They work for whoever is willing to pay. What kind of super villain can’t spot a few bucks for a henchman.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Bizzaro has all Superman's powers so...

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Vince MechMahon posted:

Bizzaro has all Superman's powers so...

Which Godzilla we talking about, which Supes

Both have their highs and lows

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Mecha Gojira posted:

Gigan and Ghidorah are basically space mercenaries. They work for whoever is willing to pay. What kind of super villain can’t spot a few bucks for a henchman.

You know I took this at face value as a kid but reading it now... There's a lot of unanswered questions here.

What currency do you use to pay space monsters?
How do you communicate?
Is there some kind of contract (neither monster even has hands...)
Are there more space monsters? A union?

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Xguard86 posted:

You know I took this at face value as a kid but reading it now... There's a lot of unanswered questions here.

How do you communicate?

The answer to all of these questions is Mind Control.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Well in vs gigan they communicated by radio and very carefully created prepared statements.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I imagine it'd be like if smurfs paid a normal human to smash up other smurfs and then they get stopped by a normal sized alligator. Maybe the smurfs have like gold or something. Maybe like Gigan's society finds the nickel that makes up the moon super valuable.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Terrible Opinions posted:

I imagine it'd be like if smurfs paid a normal human to smash up other smurfs and then they get stopped by a normal sized alligator. Maybe the smurfs have like gold or something. Maybe like Gigan's society finds the nickel that makes up the moon super valuable.

I want to see this episode.

There's always been a bit of a theme of kaiju being weaponised and commodified. Pacific Rim kinda ran with that.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Xguard86 posted:

How do you communicate?

In my opinion you should try and pay Ghidorah in hopes he doesn't gently caress poo poo up on your planet but I realize even if you could pay him, he'd still probably eat everything alive. He's tough but fair.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Jimbot posted:

98 Godzilla did certainly have a unique design. I wasn't that big a fan of the "super-sized dinosaur" look, personally.

I actually do like his ugly, boxy head.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I always liked how :smaug: his big boxy jaw made him look.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Choco1980 posted:

Well in vs gigan they communicated by radio and very carefully created prepared statements.

I love how in Megalon they just called up Space Hunter Nebula M and were like "uh can we borrow your hosed up chicken lizard" and it was like yeah no prob brah. If we're gonna get some kind of stinger for King of the Monsters or the Kong movie I hope it's a tease towards Gigan because I'd love to see that weird fucker come back in this decade.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Xguard86 posted:

How do you communicate?

Space monsters are just dragons, they’re paid in the most delicious virgins you can find

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
It begins

https://twitter.com/MonarchSciences/status/1019627924050231296

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I finally watched Godzilla anime 2, and, eh...I guess it was more interesting than 1, but most of that is because I found it more interesting to spend a movie trying to reinvent Mecha and teasing Mothra and Ghidorah than fighting tiny metal bird monsters and not showing Godzilla. Not that there's much more Godzilla in this one.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

https://www.facebook.com/GodzillaMovie/videos/1978317095532018/

Tease!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That tag line :swoon:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

:aaaaa:

This is all my head can think right now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Rtr3BClsGI

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/GodzillaMovie/status/1019688291245805568

https://twitter.com/MonarchSciences/status/1019688829844721665

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
The heartbeat tracker animation is definitely an outline of Showa Ghidorah in flight, right?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
You can also check Mothra, Ghidorah and Rodan's files at monarchsciences.com

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Words cannot describe how excited I am about this movie. I loving loved Godzilla 2014, and having Rodan (described by Dougherty as "a winged A-bomb"), Mothra and motherfucking King Ghidorah in one movie ... I'm so there.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Timby posted:

Words cannot describe how excited I am about this movie. I loving loved Godzilla 2014, and having Rodan (described by Dougherty as "a winged A-bomb"), Mothra and motherfucking King Ghidorah in one movie ... I'm so there.

Same. I'm a huge fan of the design of this Godzilla -- he's a cranky big boy and I love him -- and I'm excited to see Mothra. I really hope Ghidorah is terrifying and awe-inspiring.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

It's going to be interesting to see the designs since they don't have to compensate for shoving a human inside.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm really curious what they're going to do with Rodan to make him a threat. G14 is a pretty beefy old dude and Rodan's never had much to him.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

For sure. I'm glad Godzilla is in that style, but I wouldn't mind if they went weird with the others.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Supposed leaks of Rodan, Mothra and Ghidorah designs.

https://imgur.com/MvhPAUB

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Those look less like leaks and more guesses based on the Skull Island credits scene. If they were actual concept art, there'd be a lot more to them than just one drawing in the same angle as the reference. Also, there'd be inking and coloring rather than just pencils.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They're from that 4chan leak. Someone supposedly saw an early version of the film with incomplete sfx.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Cythereal posted:

I'm really curious what they're going to do with Rodan to make him a threat. G14 is a pretty beefy old dude and Rodan's never had much to him.

Back in the good old days (1964), Rodan was basically as big and heavy as Godzilla and went toe to toe with him in a pretty physical brawl before it degenerated into rock-throwing.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Why Hello

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cythereal posted:

For me it's King Ghidorah. A three-headed flying dragon is pretty much the stuff of nightmares.

And Rodan being more than "flying beast that decides to help out Godzilla because reasons" will be so great. I imagine he'll be pictured as more of a giant-sized pterodactyl.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

If that above design is true, it's interesting that they worked in arms into the design of Ghidorah's wings

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

They're from that 4chan leak. Someone supposedly saw an early version of the film with incomplete sfx.

Well, I think designs of CG monsters supposedly based on a version of the film that didn't even have all its CG done are also somewhat shaky grounds.

I'm not sayin' they're bad designs, I'm just saying Legendary has been keeping these particular cards close to their chests for a good while now and I'm not gonna trust anything til I see a trailer.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

:aaaaa:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

How do I upgrade my clearance past amber drat it there's way too many classified poo poo and I need my kaiju fix NOW

Mothra has an 800' wingspan :stare:

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Gigan owns, but what's the point if we don't get Godzilla Bro #1 Anguirus?