Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Guy Goodbody posted:

They would have specially made centaur pants

This is anatomically wrong. Horses have a pair of teats located close to the hind legs. This centaur would be incredibly inefficient at lactating for foals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Is this like a fetish thing? It somehow feels like a fetish thing.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Scathach posted:

What movie is this? Looks neat

A really great film for.... kids?

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Holy hell I haven't seen that since I was little! Welp time to rewatch.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Fart City posted:

Is this like a fetish thing? It somehow feels like a fetish thing.

The premise is "if celebrities lived in Oklahoma"

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yogurt!

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I loved that movie when I was a kid. I was a weird kid with weird parents though. The detachable head thing reminds me of another movie I liked back then, The Adventures Of Baron Munchausen. I always remembered it as a children's film but thinking back now it was definitely not for kids. Especially the parts where Robin Williams was the king of the moon and his sex crazed body was trying to capture his disembodied intellectual head. My folks let me watch all sorts of strange poo poo though.

It's a legit movie. The most awesome mostly forgotten Terry Gilliam film.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
time bandits is my preferred hosed up terry gilliam kid's movie

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
drat, you were quick posting Time Bandits.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
so good

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Time bandits rules too. It also features a terrifying, floating disembodied head!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

It's a legit movie. The most awesome mostly forgotten Terry Gilliam film.

Just don't google Terry Gilliam now.

Let those memories keep the sweetness of childhood.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Poor David Rappaport. As successful as he was, he still never got taken truly seriously as an actor, and it drove him to suicide.

Kind of hosed up that it took to this point in time before an actor with dwarfism was treated as a serious actor, and Dinklage is still really the only one.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Guy Goodbody posted:

They would have specially made centaur pants

Why does the horsey get to wear shorts and I have to wear pants?

This bullshit.

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Man this doesn’t even go into the whole Dorothy being admitted to an asylum for electrotherapy at the start of the movie thing.

It’s a dark, silly, weird, and visually interesting movie. It also made me realize Dorothy from Wizard of Oz was supposed to be a child.

And put me down as another weird kid who watched Time Bandits. The City of Lost Children was another favourite.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Poor David Rappaport. As successful as he was, he still never got taken truly seriously as an actor, and it drove him to suicide.

Kind of hosed up that it took to this point in time before an actor with dwarfism was treated as a serious actor, and Dinklage is still really the only one.

Warwick Davis gets some legit roles on UK tv these days. Played a vicar on Jonathan Creek a while back.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Elfface posted:

Warwick Davis gets some legit roles on UK tv these days. Played a vicar on Jonathan Creek a while back.

I think Davis is close, but he still largely subsists on "hah, look how small I am" roles. Dinklage definitely did some of that when he started out, but he seems to have resigned himself to only taking serious roles these days, even if that means he doesn't work a ton.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Brewmaster posted:

If this isn't a metaphor for the boomer generation and the death of American democracy, I dont know what is.

Or maybe it was millienials idk

Is that the new Bronner's label?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I think Davis is close, but he still largely subsists on "hah, look how small I am" roles. Dinklage definitely did some of that when he started out, but he seems to have resigned himself to only taking serious roles these days, even if that means he doesn't work a ton.

I love that Dinklage was cast as a giant in the recent Avengers movie.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Memento posted:

I love that Dinklage was cast as a giant in the recent Avengers movie.

He was still a dwarf it's just that Norse mythological dwarfs aren't defined by size.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rumda posted:

He was still a dwarf it's just that Norse mythological dwarfs aren't defined by size.

The gently caress they weren't?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

Space dwarves are kinda like space hamsters.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I've only ever seen a miniature giant space hamster.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

This is true. Norse mythology dwarves are mostly defined by their smithing skills, their size is never really mentioned.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I love you

Jerry Cotton posted:

I've only ever seen a miniature giant space hamster.
And I love you

Let's spelljam together

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Coq au Nandos posted:

This is anatomically wrong. Horses have a pair of teats located close to the hind legs. This centaur would be incredibly inefficient at lactating for foals.

centaurs have human breasts, not horse teats. I know that's hard for you to hear, but it's true

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://twitter.com/GameOfCryptos/status/1019239803529891842

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Goodbody posted:

centaurs have human breasts, not horse teats. I know that's hard for you to hear, but it's true

Also, centaur babies are proportionally taller than horse foals, so underboobs would actually be much more inconvenient

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Bloop posted:

Also, centaur babies are proportionally taller than horse foals, so underboobs would actually be much more inconvenient

Nursing is the least of their problems

Here's one possible solution:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Yellow Ant posted:

Man this doesn’t even go into the whole Dorothy being admitted to an asylum for electrotherapy at the start of the movie thing.

It’s a dark, silly, weird, and visually interesting movie. It also made me realize Dorothy from Wizard of Oz was supposed to be a child.

And put me down as another weird kid who watched Time Bandits. The City of Lost Children was another favourite.

Sounds like American McGee's Alice ripped it off. Have there ever been any Oz/Wonderland crossovers?

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I like how he's been a maker of devastating superweapons with apocalyptic implications in both the X-Men and Avengers movies. (also a stealth irony in Days of Future Past as dwarfism is technically a mutation)

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Guy Goodbody posted:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Jerry Cotton posted:

Apparently neither were the giants.

So you could have a dwarf who was taller than a giant :shrug:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Guy Goodbody posted:

But does a pregnant centaur develop the foetus in their human womb or in their horse womb?

Edit: I'll google it, someone has to have drawn it

eDIt 2: gently caress THE INTERNET :gonk:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Let me tell you guys about a sci-fi author named John Varley and his novels that explore the hell out of humans loving centaurs, beginning with Titan.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Let me tell you guys about a sci-fi author named John Varley and his novels that explore the hell out of humans loving centaurs, beginning with Titan.

I guarantee you, nobody has explored the day-to-day details of centaurs as much as the author of A Centaur's Life

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Yellow Ant posted:

Here's a question, what year is The City Of Lost Children set? This question literally bothered me for years.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Woebin posted:

This is true. Norse mythology dwarves are mostly defined by their smithing skills, their size is never really mentioned.

Actually their size is mentioned: they're called dwarfs.

ffs

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
^^^ what they said

Woebin posted:

Apparently the Old Norse word 'dvergr' translates directly as 'very short person', so there was no need to mention their size
https://www.etymonline.com/word/dwarf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Why does the horsey get to wear shorts and I have to wear pants?

This bullshit.

Poor Miss Peanut, thought of long pants and died.

e:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Apparently the Old Norse word 'dvergr' translates directly as 'very short person', so there was no need to mention their size
https://www.etymonline.com/word/dwarf

A key question, though, is whether the Eddas actually used that word, and if they did, whether they used it in that sense (at least one scholar says it meant that they were "lesser mythological beings", not literally small people). "Jötnar", for example, is typically translated into English as "giants", but that's a gloss to draw a parallel with Greek mythology; there's no reason in the text to believe they were any bigger than the Aesir or Vanir.

SneezeOfTheDecade has a new favorite as of 15:16 on Jul 19, 2018