Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Taear posted:

I really wish they'd get around to allowing the AI to trade stuff. When you kill Purifiers as a federation it can make the map look so silly.
Let me have Fulbadan you morons!

4x games have been trying to solve the territory-trade problem for like twenty years and there still isn't an AI that can evaluate territorial worth well enough to not be fooled into bad trades constantly by a human

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
If the AI would accept territory purely as gifts it would be dead handy for tidying up the claim mess after big wars.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Hang on I thought that was dependant on the type of war.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Maybe the new update makes the game run smoother.

And maybe someday Star Citizen will be finished.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Aethernet posted:

If the AI would accept territory purely as gifts it would be dead handy for tidying up the claim mess after big wars.

It does, it'll allow you to give them whatever almost always.
I just wish that if they were in your federation you could trade to and from. Maybe make the rule that if it doesn't directly connect to their home system via hyperlane but DOES connect to yours? That'd fix it I think.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

It actually seems pretty hosed up that L-Gates are stuck in Distant Stars. Being able to build your own gateway and then hook it up to the rest of the L-Gates seems like the perfect way to fix the game's existing problem with becoming locked in by neighboring empires.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean that's how normal gates work, you can gate to any active gate in the galaxy as long as the destination isn't closed to you.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

OwlFancier posted:

I mean that's how normal gates work, you can gate to any active gate in the galaxy as long as the destination isn't closed to you.

The not being turned off thing is kind of the idea.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Shadowlyger posted:

And maybe someday Star Citizen will be finished.

It already is.

Oh you mean released.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

When did it change so that when you use the fleet manager to build ships it goes for the biggest ones first? All the AI fleets are like....5 battleships, 9 cruisers and then nothing else just after wars.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

one day I will get my robot space pope back
one day

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

IAmTheRad posted:

On the 7th day, the robots just spout Robot Jesus quotes at max volume

CrucemSanctamSubiit-TRAP-REMIX.flac

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Aethernet posted:

I don't know if you can still do it any more, but my favourite way of trolling an empire I didn't like was to settle a system adjacent to a xenophobic fallen empire and immediately gifting it away before the AI could react to me. Always a good way to get some fireworks going. And I suspect trapping the AI like that was one of the reasons they don't want people being able to trade systems, that and figuring out how to trade away otherwise worthless systems for vast sums of money or tech.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

isndl posted:

Stellaris 2.2 Challenger update: the tiles fell off

:master:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

turn off the TV posted:

The not being turned off thing is kind of the idea.

Inactive regular gateways still count as adjacent to active gateways for the purposes of influence costs to claim, so you can send a construction ship out to claim a gateway and get it started fairly cheaply.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
As a note, until you take actual ownership of a system with a gateway in it (ie end a war with your claims on it, or take it through total war) the owner of it can still use the gateway. Which is fun when the enemy you're at war at can just warp their fleet in to retake what you've occupied unless you leave a fleet babysitting the gateway system.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Does map generation contain a potential setpiece gateway system named "Tannhauser"?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

isndl posted:

Inactive regular gateways still count as adjacent to active gateways for the purposes of influence costs to claim, so you can send a construction ship out to claim a gateway and get it started fairly cheaply.

If your empire is locked down by closed borders I don't see how that helps.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

turn off the TV posted:

If your empire is locked down by closed borders I don't see how that helps.

That's why jump drives are pretty good. If you still can't get there with jump drives it's time for some diplomacy. Or "diplomacy", as the case may be.

Even when I was playing xenophobes or uncanny robots it wasn't all that hard to get access to most of the galaxy, just throw extra resources every once in a while and that'll get you to positive attitude for open borders. The only empires I couldn't get access from were the genocidal ones and the fanatic xenophobes.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1019924316656472065

My body is ready.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1019924316656472065?s=19

VICKY'S IN SPAAAACE

e:f,b

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Administrator builds factroy

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
artisans churn out unity I guess? :v:

Serf
May 5, 2011

Truga posted:

artisans churn out unity I guess? :v:

maybe that new fancy ring resource we saw the robot nobles needing?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Oh yeah, that too. Unity and luxuries.

Also, I see blockers in that picture, but also a single tile from a gaia world.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I feel so bad for the CGM dude, he did so much to make the game feel better (twice) and once again Wiz is Changing The Game

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Oh thank god, there's still tiles on the planet screen. They've just been rearranged and catorgized.

Also it looks like there is a new power resource? We seem to have raw ore and refined ores now. So we need raw power and refined(?) power? Maybe energy gained through trade (hense the arrows wrapping around the power symbol) and energy gained through generation are different now?

Earth only looks like its generating the purple minerals and not the yellow ones the ship needed. I'm guessing you need to build more than one type of refinery.

toasterwarrior posted:

I feel so bad for the CGM dude, he did so much to make the game feel better (twice) and once again Wiz is Changing The Game
I use his building mod to help spice things up, and yeah it sucks for him that so much is changing, but it looks like he'll be able to reuse at least some things if he wants to continue.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jul 19, 2018

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Also, start of the game earth is already full? 26/26 pops. Or is it just fully employed? Stellaris: Macro-economics

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
As fascinating as the new system is, oddly what I find myself most wanting is for buildings you build to appear on the top left graphic, MOO2 style. Ideally they should be clickable too.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I am intrigued by "Decisions"

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

That's cool but I do like seeing my pops.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Can someone link me the 500 post thread on the Paradox official forums where the people who bought Stellaris for the tile management are melting down?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aethernet posted:

As fascinating as the new system is, oddly what I find myself most wanting is for buildings you build to appear on the top left graphic, MOO2 style. Ideally they should be clickable too.
Absolutely.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

If they are doing this but not removing the pop cap on planets to instead add some sort of overpopulation mechanic then I cant even. Population caps on planets is another 20+ year old mechanic that should have gone away ages ago.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Taear posted:

There's a population tab underneath.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Taear posted:

I feel like you might be in for a surprise with the tab labeled "population."

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

If they are doing this but not removing the pop cap on planets to instead add some sort of overpopulation mechanic then I cant even. Population caps on planets is another 20+ year old mechanic that should have gone away ages ago.

My CPU disagrees.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

SniperWoreConverse posted:

one day I will get my robot space pope back
one day

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Every 10 pop points gives you one building slot. I know I've seen it before, but where?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bloodly posted:

Every 10 pop points gives you one building slot. I know I've seen it before, but where?
I don't think it's pop points, there's only 26 and it's unlocked up to 40. The net resource production is 43, maybe that's it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

I don't think it's pop points, there's only 26 and it's unlocked up to 40. The net resource production is 43, maybe that's it?

While that would be logical, that would mean you could get extra building slots at the margin through running an edict and building things while it's active.