Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Costco has ribs on sale with $4 off per package for the Swift Premium, both St. Louis and Backribs.

Picked up a pack of St. Louis and threw them in last night after work and had ribs around 11pm. Lots of leftovers for me and my daughter tonight. Then I'll take the rib meat off the bones of what is left and use it in Chili or Mac & Cheese or something.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to make with the rib meat? I just used my version of Memphis Dust and no sauce as I like to use a couple different sauces when I eat ribs so I do it table side. Last night was a mustard base sauce and a hot & spicy red and of course those 2 mixed together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017

QuarkMartial posted:

I smoked a meatloaf once and it was drat good.

did this make more of a mess than normal? did you have to lay down some tin foil to prevent it from falling apart?

tell us more.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I have a metal grilling tray with holes in it. I sprayed it with cooking spray and put the meat loaf on it and smoked it that way. I don't recall if I had a drip pan or not.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
I've set a meatloaf on a small sheet of parchment paper with decent results.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Use lots of egg and bread crumbs so that the loaf stays glued together. I've even done a ground turkey variety since my girlfriend doesn't eat red meat or pork.

I do mine on a normal rack. You want as much surface area exposed as possible. You do not need to cook it low and slow. I do slather mine in a savoury molasses based BBQ sauce. I don't think a rub would work well.

Go heavy on the smoke and expect it to take around an hour or a bit more at 275f. I did mine to an internal temperature of around 180f. You could safely pull it at 165 (for chicken/turkey) but I prefer to have a slightly crisp bark on the outside.

For a beef, chorizo, pork mix I'd pull it a little earlier like 160 or 165.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just remembered I had pictures saved on Google photos. Here is a loaf from 2016

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
For meatloaf I use parchment paper with some holes cut in it to let the fat drain. I usually do a 2:1 ground beef to ground pork mix with panko crumbs and eggs. Finely chopped green/red peppers and onions through the food processor (like really fine but not pureed), and seasoned with the usual suspects plus some cajun spice or left over rub from the last time I smoked. I like a nice sweet and sour mustard glaze to finish it off.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If I'm doing chicken or turkey I'll add spinach and feta chunks. And do a glaze with Mediterranean salad dressing.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
Smoked meatloaf is one of my favorite things to do:

I usually use a foil tray with holes in the bottom to drain but I had plank laying around that time.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Random Hero posted:

Smoked meatloaf is one of my favorite things to do:

I usually use a foil tray with holes in the bottom to drain but I had plank laying around that time.

I have to say two things.

1) First, what a magic display of meats on a smoker.

2) drat nice photography.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Hi smoking thread. Driven by the complete lack of decent smoked anything where I am in Florida, I impulse bought a slow 'n sear for my Weber kettle. I've smoked stuff in the kettle before, but always hotter things like chicken and turkey, vs beef ribs/brisket/etc.

I took the leap last night with some shortribs, and god drat am I happy with this one.

Trimmed and dry brined the night before:

Finished with heavy black pepper rub:

Still a shitload of coals left to go after 5 hours:

Not a ton of smoke ring but who cares because this poo poo was loving crazy good

The slow 'n sear worked incredibly well, I don't have any probes for my grill (yet..) but I was checking the temp about every hour or so and it held at about 230-50 for the whole 5 hours. I had the bottom grates open, like, maybe a millimeter or two.

Next thing I really want to do is Salmon, and lots of it. Anyone have good suggestions of recipes/brines/glazes there?

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

Hi smoking thread. Driven by the complete lack of decent smoked anything where I am in Florida, I impulse bought a slow 'n sear for my Weber kettle. I've smoked stuff in the kettle before, but always hotter things like chicken and turkey, vs beef ribs/brisket/etc.

I took the leap last night with some shortribs, and god drat am I happy with this one.

Trimmed and dry brined the night before:

Finished with heavy black pepper rub:

Still a shitload of coals left to go after 5 hours:

Not a ton of smoke ring but who cares because this poo poo was loving crazy good

The slow 'n sear worked incredibly well, I don't have any probes for my grill (yet..) but I was checking the temp about every hour or so and it held at about 230-50 for the whole 5 hours. I had the bottom grates open, like, maybe a millimeter or two.

Next thing I really want to do is Salmon, and lots of it. Anyone have good suggestions of recipes/brines/glazes there?

Alton Brown's smoked salmon recipe is what I use, but I only brine it for half the time it says otherwise it's too salty for me. I've used the same recipe for a couple of different types of glazes on the fish too (maple glaze and a miso one), it's just a good starting platform.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Right after I bought my Thermoworks Smoke, they go on sale. :argh: This weekend only. Same for the gateway (so you can view it on your phone app), probes and some other accessories. FYI in case anybody is looking for a good temp monitoring system.

edit: threw them an email for shits and giggles and they price matched it! Awesome company.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 19, 2018

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Is the Gateway worth the money?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

qutius posted:

Is the Gateway worth the money?

Seems only you can decide that. Do you need to see it on your phone vs. the monitor? Are you going to leave your house while you smoke stuff or live in a mansion where the 300 ft range won't be enough?

I am a modestly housed hermit, so no. :v:

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Larrymer posted:

Seems only you can decide that. Do you need to see it on your phone vs. the monitor? Are you going to leave your house while you smoke stuff or live in a mansion where the 300 ft range won't be enough?

True. I do like the idea of getting more data from my probes and the gateway is a way to do that...

So I purchased one. Guess I'll have to share my thoughts when I have some!

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator

Larrymer posted:

I've had and used a Smoke for some time and find it helps immensely with long cooks, but have been considering a Gateway. My house is old and made of thick Adobe so the receiver will disconnect if I try to take it to the bedroom, diagonally opposed to my smoker. The range is quite far in the open but through 2-8 walls it gets considerably shorter.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My girlfriend’s birthday party this weekend is either going to be amazing or a very expensive pizza order.

10 racks ribs, 2x5 lb butts. I’m going to cheat on the butts and SV before smoking to finish so I have more confidence in the timing, though.

E: how would you dry-brine that many racks of ribs? I worry that if I pile them back up then it will mostly turn into a wet brine

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Fair warning sousviding before smoking will limit the amount of smoke flavor you get. Cold meat absorbs smoke much better than cooked meat.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Huge_Midget posted:

Fair warning sousviding before smoking will limit the amount of smoke flavor you get. Cold meat absorbs smoke much better than cooked meat.

Yeah, they’re getting ice bathed a bit first for that reason, but I should go a bit heavier on the smoke. Thanks for the reminder!

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Huge_Midget posted:

In my experience, I have not missed anything from SV first, then finish in the smoker. It’s incredibly convenient and makes for very, very appetizing meat afterward. I do strongly recommend investing in one of those grill pans with holes in it to immediately transfer the butt to from the bag, because it will have a tendency to split at a seam with handling.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lawnie posted:

In my experience, I have not missed anything from SV first, then finish in the smoker. It’s incredibly convenient and makes for very, very appetizing meat afterward. I do strongly recommend investing in one of those grill pans with holes in it to immediately transfer the butt to from the bag, because it will have a tendency to split at a seam with handling.

I was going to put them on a cooling rack and cut the bags off in place, and then just take that rack to the egg. Do you think that’ll work? I could try and find a pan tomorrow otherwise.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

Huge_Midget posted:

Some of the best pulled pork I've ever made was sous vide for ~20hrs and then smoked for 2-3hrs. You're right that it isn't as smoky as doing it on the smoker for the entire cook, but I was making ~30lbs for a party and the convenience of sous vide was great. I wanted to put all my focus and attention towards the brisket anyways...

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

I was going to put them on a cooling rack and cut the bags off in place, and then just take that rack to the egg. Do you think that’ll work? I could try and find a pan tomorrow otherwise.

I think that would work just fine.

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 20, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thanks.

WRT SV pulled pork, I put the rub and salt on before bagging, and it’ll be bagged for about 24 hours before the cook starts, so a total of 42-48 hours. When it comes out of the bag, should I:

a) re-rub to help with bark;
b) rinse and re-rub to help with bark without overseasoning; or
c) just leave it, it’ll be fine?

Assuming it has enough structural integrity that I can manipulate it in any way, that is.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Random Hero posted:

Some of the best pulled pork I've ever made was sous vide for ~20hrs and then smoked for 2-3hrs. You're right that it isn't as smoky as doing it on the smoker for the entire cook, but I was making ~30lbs for a party and the convenience of sous vide was great. I wanted to put all my focus and attention towards the brisket anyways...

What kind of SV machine do you have that can handle 30 lbs? My Anova says that 22 liters is the maximum amount of water it can handle, but reading up on it there seems to be people who've pushed that up to 50 or 60. I'd also worry if the Anova could heat the water enough with the thermal load of 30 lbs of meat . Also is there a maximum thickness for SVing cuts of meat? My thinking was that some butts are so thick that the inside may stay too long in the danger zone and turn bad. Is that actually a worry? Googling didn't come up with a good answer.

Perhaps I'm overthinking this and haven't been using my Anova up to it's true capabilities.

Speaking of which, I have a 4 bone prime rib roast in the freezer which is already vacuum sealed but unseasoned. I was thinking of just chucking that into the SV 140 for 9 hours and finishing the usual way with kosher salt and reverse sear. Any better ideas?

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jul 20, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Canuckistan posted:

What kind of SV machine do you have that can handle 30 lbs? My Anova says that 22 liters is the maximum amount of water it can handle, but reading up on it there seems to be people who've pushed that up to 50 or 60. I'd also worry if the Anova could heat the water enough with the thermal load of 30 lbs of meat . Also is there a maximum thickness for SVing cuts of meat? My thinking was that some butts are so thick that the inside may stay too long in the danger zone and turn bad. Is that actually a worry? Googling didn't come up with a good answer.

Perhaps I'm overthinking this and haven't been using my Anova up to it's true capabilities.

I can't speak for Random Hero, but I have two circulators, and I think each could handle 3x5 or 2x7 butts. I worried about the thickness issue too, but apparently it's fine? Surely Kenji wouldn't kill people. :shrug:

The 22L thing is probably somewhat worst-case in terms of evaporation and heat leakage. If you're in a cambro with ping pong balls instead of an open metal stock pot, it will be able to keep up with a larger amount of water. (I think it's more related to surface area than volume anyway, but that would be a hard thing for them to specify.)

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Thanks.

WRT SV pulled pork, I put the rub and salt on before bagging, and it’ll be bagged for about 24 hours before the cook starts, so a total of 42-48 hours. When it comes out of the bag, should I:

a) re-rub to help with bark;
b) rinse and re-rub to help with bark without overseasoning; or
c) just leave it, it’ll be fine?

Assuming it has enough structural integrity that I can manipulate it in any way, that is.

My understanding was that you salt up to 24 hours before but you only really need to put the rub on just before it goes into the smoker. The herbs and sugars do not get absorbed into the meet like the salt does.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Murgos posted:

My understanding was that you salt up to 24 hours before but you only really need to put the rub on just before it goes into the smoker. The herbs and sugars do not get absorbed into the meet like the salt does.

Yeah, I was worried about not being able to get the rub on if the meat was too fally-aparty after the SV, so I rubbed ahead of time when it was still whole. The early salting was a compromise around not having to rebag, because I have a lot of stuff to juggle as it is. I'm hoping it's not too much like ham.

I'm more wondering if the rub will still "function" WRT bark and such if it's been dampened and diluted by the SV process. I guess I'll see how much has washed off and work from there.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

Canuckistan posted:

Subjunctive posted:

I can't speak for Random Hero, but I have two circulators, and I think each could handle 3x5 or 2x7 butts. I worried about the thickness issue too, but apparently it's fine? Surely Kenji wouldn't kill people. :shrug:

What Subjunctive said basically. I have two Anova's and two large Cambro containers so I used those. I got all the butts from Costco and split each in half to probably 4-5lb chunks and vacuum sealed each individually. I don't think the thickness matters much when you're talking about a cook in the 18-24hr range. That's plenty of time for the heat to get through the entire chunk.

Another thing that came out of this smoke was I probably had 3-4lbs of cooked pulled pork leftover and I vacuum sealed those in .5lb portions and then froze those. Any time I wanted pulled pork, I'd take one or two packs out of the freezer and use the sous vide to heat them back up. Most methods of reheating pulled pork tend to dry it out and change the texture but using the sous vide to reheat is a game changer.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
There’s also very, very little risk of internal contamination of meat. You get sick from critters that live on the surface of raw meat; this is why ground meat needs to be cooked very thoroughly, because you taken everything from the surface of the initial cuts of meat into the bulk of the ground meat. I don’t think there’s any real concern from a food safety standpoint about how long the center of a pork butt is in the “danger zone.”

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
A little bit of a re-rub after the bath and before the smoker seems like a good idea to me, especially if you have something with no salt.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I asked before, but I think it got lost in the shuffle. Does injecting meat actually help with smoking? If so, what do you use for injecting.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

10 Beers posted:

I asked before, but I think it got lost in the shuffle. Does injecting meat actually help with smoking? If so, what do you use for injecting.

I've only ever injected butts, and I didn't think the final product was improved by it. Since you're gonna shred it anyway, you don't need to get seasoning inside. And in that case you're just adding water, which I don't think improves the texture of the final project. Just my worthless opinion.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

qutius posted:

A little bit of a re-rub after the bath and before the smoker seems like a good idea to me, especially if you have something with no salt.

When I did the sous vide first approach, I put on a pretty solid rub, and then when I took it out I patted it dry and applied a fresh thinner coat. I also started the butts two days before so they were done the night before, put those in the fridge and then finished them on the smoker the next day. That helped a ton with the stress because I also had two large briskets and plenty of sausage to cook as well.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
All this sous vide talk has me interested. My friend was pretty impressed when his restaurant got one. They were using them to get the steaks to medium rare and then reverse searing to order through the evening.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Is there a beginner sous vide guide someone can endorse? I'm not even sure I know how to pronounce it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

qutius posted:

Yeah, my rub doesn’t have salt (it’s just Meathead’s Memphis Dust).

Random Hero posted:

When I did the sous vide first approach, I put on a pretty solid rub, and then when I took it out I patted it dry and applied a fresh thinner coat. I also started the butts two days before so they were done the night before, put those in the fridge and then finished them on the smoker the next day. That helped a ton with the stress because I also had two large briskets and plenty of sausage to cook as well.

I’m thinking about starting earlier, but having to chill them down to fridge temps only to put them on the smoker a few hours later seems like I might be making more work for myself than is useful. Right now my plan is to have them come out of the bath at 2:30, dry, re-rub, put on smoker until 4:30, then rest and pull while the ribs come back to temp and cook on the sauce. Turn up the egg for the kids’ hot dogs and collapse with a beer.

Thanks, all!

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I've always rubbed the pork prior to bagging. After the cook put it on a cooling rack that I can transfer direclty to the smoker, cut bag. Let set to cool / pat dry with paper towels while trying not to remove to much rub. If there was an obvious spot lacking rub I'll splash some on it otherwise I just wait for it to cool for 20-30 min then throw it into the smoke.

RisqueBarber posted:

Is there a beginner sous vide guide someone can endorse? I'm not even sure I know how to pronounce it.

There is a SV thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3573640 guess you could start there.

sterster fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

RisqueBarber posted:

Sue Veed, Veed like Peed but with a Vee