Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
In the Marvel Universe's "Brooklyn 99," Jake's background includes at least three attempts at an origin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I got the lettered art for my Edge of Spider-Verse #1 book and it looks v. good, and I remembered that it has the best joke I have ever written in it (a personal opinion that does not reflect the views of Marvel or the general comic-buying public).

What I am saying is please buy my book when it comes out next month.

You should post some of the art after the book is released. I still have the opening splash of your last issue as my Facebook background. Spider-Punk rules.

Is Gerard Way doing the SP//DR one shot?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Lobok posted:

Brooklyn Nine-Nine must be a nice, quaint show for them set in a universe where nothing weird or wild happens.

https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1019685863159156737

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

OK, I want to see those episodes.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Oh God, I never even thought of that. How weird does TV have to be in comic books? Instead of random love triangles to boost ratings, is it random super villains? Super villain love traingles?

...actually isn't that just how actual soap operas worked in the real 70-80's?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I bet it's a "truth is stranger than fiction" type scenario and when a show does an arc inspired by the events of X-tinction Agenda or whatever, the public find it wildly implausible and roll their eyes at the outlandish, "billionaire's college friend turns into evil cyborg president of an island nation" plot.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Noice.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Reading the new Jessica Jones and I can't remember the last Spider-Woman appearance I saw. Why the hell does the super hero who wanted a kid but not a man, so she got a sperm doner, and is now dating the reformed super villain who became her nanny not have a solo series anymore? Age that kid up and have him be best friends with Luke and Jessica's kid.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

X-O posted:

OK, I want to see those episodes.

Spider-Man teams up with The Vulture to fight The Vulture. Captain Holt disapproves of Spider-Man until he helps catch Wuntsch in a corruption scandal. Everyone in the precinct has had a "the time I met Spider-Man" moment except for Jake, who puts himself in increasingly dangerous situations until he is finally saved from certain death... by Daredevil.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Diet Poison posted:

Spider-Man teams up with The Vulture to fight The Vulture. Captain Holt disapproves of Spider-Man until he helps catch Wuntsch in a corruption scandal. Everyone in the precinct has had a "the time I met Spider-Man" moment except for Jake, who puts himself in increasingly dangerous situations until he is finally saved from certain death... by Daredevil.

Oh my god I would watch/read this

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So somebody put into perspective why these Captain Marvel books maybe keep being not so good - if you're going to establish the character as your top-flight female hero don't keep throwing her back in time or trying to explore her abusive family or have her administer a space station - just let her do that hero stuff. I think there's something to it. (In other news, The Life of Captain Marvel isn't what I wanted.)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Anyone else still enjoying the Avengers? It's kind of a weird helter-skelter comic at the moment, but it's giving Robbie Reyes a ton to do and that's been really entertaining for me.

I'm finding that I'm not the biggest fan of Jason Aaron's approach to Loki, though. The issues are much more magnified in this book where he's just outright playing a speechifying villain role, but there's shades of this pretentious "lol you all suck and I'm the greatest even though I haven't really done anything all that cool or interesting" persona in Aaron's Thor book as well.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Dawgstar posted:

So somebody put into perspective why these Captain Marvel books maybe keep being not so good - if you're going to establish the character as your top-flight female hero don't keep throwing her back in time or trying to explore her abusive family or have her administer a space station - just let her do that hero stuff. I think there's something to it. (In other news, The Life of Captain Marvel isn't what I wanted.)

I agree, they just need to have her do some Unequivocal Good, possibly on Earth and not in space to add more humanity to it. At this point I'm struggling to separate the various attempts to rehab Carol from the stories I'm reading. Plus, The Life Of Captain Marvel is really confusing in terms of the new family retcons plus these spoilers:

She smashes her Dad's gravestone due to her unaddressed feelings (which earlier led to her brutalising two villains she outclassed while the Avengers watched on before she has a panic attack), while letting her brother drive drunk and crash, giving himself significant brain damage before she can rescue him. She's also apparently not addressing her issues during her brother's 9 months recovery, and just grows her hair out while ignoring Tony and the Avengers, whom she is apparently cool with in this, despite just fighting with him in Avengers over CWII.

I know Reed's run changed her family history a bit from Claremont's stuff, particularly her Dad, but I remember thinking it really interesting how she had no memories or connection to this family, whom she had a complex relationship with even with her memories, and how this was explored. In this, she kinda came back, acted strangely, and then the ending plot hook happens, abruptly changing it into more standard superhero fare.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

BrianWilly posted:

it's giving Robbie Reyes a ton to do and that's been really entertaining for me.

That's what I'm reading it for. If you're not into Robbie Ghost Riding a dead Celestial, then why are you reading comics?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

BrianWilly posted:

Anyone else still enjoying the Avengers? It's kind of a weird helter-skelter comic at the moment, but it's giving Robbie Reyes a ton to do and that's been really entertaining for me.

I'm finding that I'm not the biggest fan of Jason Aaron's approach to Loki, though. The issues are much more magnified in this book where he's just outright playing a speechifying villain role, but there's shades of this pretentious "lol you all suck and I'm the greatest even though I haven't really done anything all that cool or interesting" persona in Aaron's Thor book as well.

Im not gonna lie, i was souring on it until the last couple pages of this weeks issue

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Metalshark posted:

I agree, they just need to have her do some Unequivocal Good, possibly on Earth and not in space to add more humanity to it. At this point I'm struggling to separate the various attempts to rehab Carol from the stories I'm reading. Plus, The Life Of Captain Marvel is really confusing in terms of the new family retcons plus these spoilers:

She smashes her Dad's gravestone due to her unaddressed feelings (which earlier led to her brutalising two villains she outclassed while the Avengers watched on before she has a panic attack), while letting her brother drive drunk and crash, giving himself significant brain damage before she can rescue him. She's also apparently not addressing her issues during her brother's 9 months recovery, and just grows her hair out while ignoring Tony and the Avengers, whom she is apparently cool with in this, despite just fighting with him in Avengers over CWII.

I know Reed's run changed her family history a bit from Claremont's stuff, particularly her Dad, but I remember thinking it really interesting how she had no memories or connection to this family, whom she had a complex relationship with even with her memories, and how this was explored. In this, she kinda came back, acted strangely, and then the ending plot hook happens, abruptly changing it into more standard superhero fare.

Agreed. And on a minor note actually reading attempts at a New England accent (of the 'pahk the cah in the yahd next to the gahden' variety) also really did not appeal.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://www.newsarama.com/40952-marvel-knights-returns-for-20th-anniversary.html

Donny Cates is running a Marvel Knights relaunch.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yes please.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-O posted:

Yes please.

He kills Speedball's cat at the end of the first issue.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So Christopher Priest is writing a Kaine led Spider-Team book called Spider-Force. The new Spider-Gwen book is apparently called Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

X-O posted:

So Christopher Priest is writing a Kaine led Spider-Team book called Spider-Force. The new Spider-Gwen book is apparently called Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider.

I am enjoying this return to form with Priest, so I'll read it. And Seanan McGuire writing Gwen is interesting. I know she's a fan and I've liked some of her novels.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Christos Gage is writing Superior Doc Ock.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

site posted:

Im not gonna lie, i was souring on it until the last couple pages of this weeks issue

Yeah this issue turned me around on it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

X-O posted:

Spider-Force is a 3 issue mini apparently.

They also announced Spider-Girls by Jody Houser, which is also a 3 issue mini.

It's all tie-ins to Spider-geddon and my interest has tanked.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That doesn't tank my interest at all. Spider-Verse was great and brought in a lot of great ideas from many people. So I'm excited to see something in that vein again.

Also for anyone that still cares about Miracleman, apparently all the obstacles have been cleared for really real this time and they are back at work on it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I was super hyped for spider girls until i read it was just a 3 part mini

Also i am down for marvel knights with cates, tini howard and vita ayala

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

X-O posted:

That doesn't tank my interest at all. Spider-Verse was great and brought in a lot of great ideas from many people. So I'm excited to see something in that vein again.

Also for anyone that still cares about Miracleman, apparently all the obstacles have been cleared for really real this time and they are back at work on it.

And there's always the chance it does well and we get something more permanent.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

If you buy Spider-Girls there's a chance they get a longer book. Looks cool to me.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Honestly, sign me up for Superior Octopus.That costume looks really cool.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
e: OOPS WRONG THREAD

umm yay more Jessica Drew is good

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm really late to the party on these, but man is Captain America and X-23 good.

I also did enjoy that Jessica Jones chapter, and I would appreciate if Marvel did more stuff like this.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Roth posted:

I'm really late to the party on these, but man is Captain America and X-23 good.

I also did enjoy that Jessica Jones chapter, and I would appreciate if Marvel did more stuff like this.

Selene seems like a real weird choice of villain for Cap. I've never really liked her, but maybe Coates can get something interesting out of her.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Roth posted:

Spider-Force is a 3 issue mini apparently.

They also announced Spider-Girls by Jody Houser, which is also a 3 issue mini.

It's all tie-ins to Spider-geddon and my interest has tanked.

I liked that Victorian steampunk lady-spider, I hope she pops up again.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Flytrap posted:

Oh God, I never even thought of that. How weird does TV have to be in comic books? Instead of random love triangles to boost ratings, is it random super villains? Super villain love traingles?

...actually isn't that just how actual soap operas worked in the real 70-80's?

In the Marvel Universe, the Discovery channel would be the best channel. Just imagine all their WW2 documentaries.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Ancient aliens but its all true

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Ancient aliens but its all true

What exactly are you implying?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Illuminating Comics, who does text edits of Marvel properties (currently doing Secret Empire) put out a review of TLofCM, because despite what people think, they really like Carol. Their review was... interesting.

http://illuminatingcomics.tumblr.com/page/2

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Onmi posted:

Illuminating Comics, who does text edits of Marvel properties (currently doing Secret Empire) put out a review of TLofCM, because despite what people think, they really like Carol. Their review was... interesting.

The only thing I remember about this guy is getting the impression that he reads far too much /co/ from his text edits

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Onmi posted:

It's a bit much, but he does nail the broad strokes of the problem with the issue. Too heavy on soap opera elements it didn't need (as opposed to the ones already there and they could have used, mind). Carol's still not really doing hero stuff. Not paying attention to her past.

I genuinely go back and forth on continuity being a chain and wishing people would pay more attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I liked that Carol's solution to opening the weird piece of tech she found in her dad's things was to hit it with a hammer.