Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Kobayashi posted:

Do people seriously not remember the Friends carousel? That central conceit that magically everyone would have 12 “friends” with watches they would want to send heartbeats and postage-sized doodles to all day? And that this was so key to the animating purpose of the watch that it was given its own hardware button?

If not, re-read one of the original reviews. That thing flopped so badly that it was removed entirely in watchOS 3. It’s the reason the UI is such a goddamn mess to this day. The hardware was designed to support an entirely wrong interaction model.
             /

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Kobayashi posted:

Do people seriously not remember the Friends carousel? That central conceit that magically everyone would have 12 “friends” with watches they would want to send heartbeats and postage-sized doodles to all day? And that this was so key to the animating purpose of the watch that it was given its own hardware button?

If not, re-read one of the original reviews. That thing flopped so badly that it was removed entirely in watchOS 3. It’s the reason the UI is such a goddamn mess to this day. The hardware was designed to support an entirely wrong interaction model.

this view was never a thing that influenced the apple watch hardware design, what in gods name are you smoking

e: actually youre right, wow lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGxNb639oCk

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 19, 2018

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Yes the rotary phone interface, I kinda vaguely remember jokes along those lines.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

infernal machines posted:

i read that as referring to the circular bump out on the bottom that makes contact with your wrist

the heart rate monitor is core functionality of the device, sharing it with your friends is not

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Kobayashi posted:

I remember the doodle feature being primarily used to send "rocket ships" to each other.

very fun when in a meeting.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
‘Digital touch’ seemed like it was a transparent attempt to get kids and teens to buy into it. A bit like bbm before it, you only required a critical mass of a few people at a school sharing secret messages and doodles before everybody else wants in on the action.

There is no way in hell any serious adult thought that it was an actually viable method of communication.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I wear a 50$ Timex that I've gotten many compliments on and it doesn't even have to be recharged every day

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

I wear a 50$ Timex that I've gotten many compliments on and it doesn't even have to be recharged every day

do you take it off at night?

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
the fact that it needs a charge every night is the absolute worst thing about the watch and everything else pales in comparison

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Last Chance posted:

do you take it off at night?

No, not unless there's a specific reason to.

And just by the way the argument "you can just take it off and charge it every night and get in the habit of doing that" is a poo poo argument akin to "well you can just reinstall Windows every couple of months to stop your computer from slowing to a crawl, that's just how you use it"

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 20, 2018

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

And just by the way the argument "you can just take it off and charge it every night and get in the habit of doing that" is a poo poo argument akin to "well you can just reinstall Windows every couple of months to stop your computer from slowing to a crawl, that's just how you use it"

I mean, taking your watch off and putting it on your night stand isn’t that different from putting it on a charger on your nightstand

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i went to a rupaul drag queen show last night and probably half the audience was wearing apple watches. fashion gays are the ones buying all the watches.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

sales/marketing people love them too

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
and anyone with a tech job in the bay

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

also lol thanks tim

where I come from this is called "walking" but i guess in cupertino nobody walks further than the distance to their car unless they're "working out"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

hobbesmaster posted:

cashiers/bartenders/people with public-facing jobs who cant look at their cellphones during their shifts

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

THC posted:

also lol thanks tim

where I come from this is called "walking" but i guess in cupertino nobody walks further than the distance to their car unless they're "working out"
It thinks youre 'working out' because your vitals indicate the walk to your car has put you on the verge of death

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
only cops wear their watches while sleeping

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

graph posted:

only cops wear their watches while sleeping

should i ask how you know this?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

syscall girl posted:

:\

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

syscall girl posted:

busted

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Fabricated posted:

It thinks youre 'working out' because your vitals indicate the walk to your car has put you on the verge of death

yea i don't think "my heart rate spiked on the way to my car" is the epic burn on something else he thinks it is

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What if I want to check the time and I'm in bed? Obviously I can't have my phone on my bedside table because of the radiation waves so it's either a watch or an alarm clock

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sagebrush posted:

What if I want to check the time and I'm in bed? Obviously I can't have my phone on my bedside table because of the radiation waves so it's either a watch or an alarm clock

it's always postin' time.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Sagebrush posted:

HEY SIRI,

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

yea i don't think "my heart rate spiked on the way to my car" is the epic burn on something else he thinks it is

there was no car involved i was walking 2km to work

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

next question:

how many watches do you wear and how many clocks are in your bedroom?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
next up: also doesn't take it off in the shower, why should he? it's water proof

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

obviously i take my watch off in the shower, to do the dishes, to change my motorcycles' oil, etc. it's like you guys have never owned a watch or something.

amazingly, at none of these junctures do i have to put it on a specific little stand or risk having it nonfunctional the next day.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

also apple watches look terrible

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

obviously i take my watch off in the shower, to do the dishes, to change my motorcycles' oil, etc. it's like you guys have never owned a watch or something.

amazingly, at none of these junctures do i have to put it on a specific little stand or risk having it nonfunctional the next day.

i'm pretty sure most people also take them off to go to bed, but i guess ymmv

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

also apple watches look terrible

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

they're also real bad at being watches, on account of the whole needing to charge every day, and also the watch face isn't visible most of the time

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

infernal machines posted:

the watch face isn't visible most of the time

how do you know that it isn't tho?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i see other people wearing them

it's completely useless if i want to peep the time off a stranger's wrist

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
don’t sleep with a watch on jfc

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Last Chance posted:

this view was never a thing that influenced the apple watch hardware design, what in gods name are you smoking

e: actually youre right, wow lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGxNb639oCk

rofl.

AIDS watch.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

hobbesmaster posted:

Sniep posted:

and anyone with a tech job in the bay

ah good so the worst people in the world like them. good to know

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I did not realize forums cancer still existed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

looks like i9 mbp is perfectly fine for cpu-only workloads, e.g. a potential upgrade for coders etc, especially if you manually change the fan profile from “Jonny Ives aluminium vacuum cube” to “fans spin when computer hit”