Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

nine-gear crow posted:

Season 1 was rather formulaic in comparison to the later seasons, mostly because it was all world-building and status-quo establishing stuff. It was also two years ago when it debuted. It was kind of a cycle of "Go somewhere, meet new people, befriend/enrage them, Zarkon and Haggar have an evil plan, fight a Robeast, FORM VOLTRON!!!, two-minute stock footage sequence, pithy post-victory moment" on and on for much of Season 1 and into Season 2.

Things don't really kick into high gear until Haggar says "Summon Prince Lotor."

Even then it did it in a pretty interesting enough way, and paced it well.
There were only like 3 Robeasts and the pressure kept mounting until everyone decided to band together to form a counterattack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
oh wow this season was an upgrade on what came before. Not that what came before was bad, but the pacing was weird because of how the seasons were split up.

I appreciated the way in which they had Lotor break bad, which paid off on his legacy as the child of a monstrous dictator and a mad scientist. And, he really wasn't intending on betraying Allura and the paladins so much as using them to ultimately dark ends. There was so much to suggest he wasn't interested in having the Galra Empire continue as the dominant galactic force that it became difficult to see how he could be a bad guy, even though he seemed too good to be true. but the twist that he considers himself more an Altean than a Galra and thus wants to establish an Altean Empire really works.

Keith's fight with Clone Shiro is the single best sequence of the series thus far. The intensity ratchets up to eleven, and jeezus they must have seriously had their budget upped for the sheer quality of the animation.

also it's funny that the Paladins seem to assume Lotor was behind the Shiro clone thing, when as far as I can tell, that was all Haggar's doing.

final interesting development - I'm wondering if they're going to refer to her as Honerva from now on. In her last scene, she looked Altean again, like whatever she did in Oriande reversed the corruption or something. The voice actress voiced her pretty differently from Haggar, too. Less raspy. Maybe she's going to recover Lotor from the Quintessence, and pick up where he left off. That would make some sense.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Spatula City posted:

also it's funny that the Paladins seem to assume Lotor was behind the Shiro clone thing, when as far as I can tell, that was all Haggar's doing.

They assumed he was behind the people kidnapping him too.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 28, 2018

Talen_Soti
Mar 30, 2010
Netflix is already showing that s7 comes August 10.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Talen_Soti posted:

Dang, I thought it was coming in October! That’s fast!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I just watched this season. Had been spoiled a little but the actual show did far more justice to the concepts than I imagined. I was surprised at how DARK this season was.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Talen_Soti posted:

Hell yeah! :buddy:

Voltron Season 7 - You Can't Spell Voltron Without "...No-tor"?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Voltron Season 7: There’s still hope for your Allotor ship

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
lotor was an imperialst fuckhead and the "hire more woman guards" tweet personified and i'm so so glad he got wave motion cannoned into the dirt

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's a netflix revival of an 80s cartoon, so I'll post them here.

Some good shots of the new She-Ra

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Back to 13 episode seasons ghis season, but also!
https://twitter.com/Voltron/status/1020367392038244352?s=19

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Just straight up making a main character openly gay with a partner and everything, finally.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

In the show too, that’s awesome.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

And thus all the Shiro/Keith shippers’ heads explode because that whole fight at the end of the last season was basically one giant anguished declaration of love and it turns out, womp womp, he already has a boyfriend.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Oh look... a trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-yHuoOEIHE

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Voltron Season VII - The Voyage Home?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

And thus all the Shiro/Keith shippers’ heads explode because that whole fight at the end of the last season was basically one giant anguished declaration of love and it turns out, womp womp, he already has a boyfriend.

Buuuut, Shiro has been away from Earth for a long time, so there's a chance Adam has moved on. And the show just aged Keith up by a couple of years, so he's more in Shiro's ballpark..

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

Lauren Montgomery said in the panel that Adam and Shiro are already broken up for spoilery reasons. So there's still room for Shiro/Keith. I'm interested to find out if we meet Adam in the present or in flashbacks.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
"Hey, Adam, I know you were upset of me picking space over you. Well, turns out I died three or four times, adopted four kids, entered the Astral Plane, became the biggest Toku star in the universe and have the biggest black cat ever. Sooooooooo? Take me back?"

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Hey how is it not super creepy to start dating the kid you helped raise. That’s hands-down the worst direction this reveal could take.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Wow what a good day

to have no time to catch up on any shows :saddowns:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

"Hey, Adam, I know you were upset of me picking space over you. Well, turns out I died three or four times, adopted four kids, entered the Astral Plane, became the biggest Toku star in the universe and have the biggest black cat ever. Sooooooooo? Take me back?"

"Also I'm technically a spirit possessing my own clone now I guess?"

EDIT: Oh, also after this season, there will be one final 13 episode season to end the series.

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 20, 2018

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
shiro/keith is hosed up but yay shiro/adam

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Finally watched the trailer. Welp, so much for Earth coming riding to the rescue like I'd hope earlier.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Finally watched the trailer. Welp, so much for Earth coming riding to the rescue like I'd hope earlier.

They never got their Vehicle Voltron project off the ground. :smith:

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Pinball posted:

Lauren Montgomery said in the panel that Adam and Shiro are already broken up for spoilery reasons. So there's still room for Shiro/Keith. I'm interested to find out if we meet Adam in the present or in flashbacks.

Really the whole thing with (BIG SPOILER) Shiro having had a degenerative disease that would eventually kill(?) him puts so many of his words and actions across the show into a new light. Makes me want to do a re-watch before the new season drops more than anything.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

YES bread posted:

Really the whole thing with (BIG SPOILER) Shiro having had a degenerative disease that would eventually kill(?) him puts so many of his words and actions across the show into a new light. Makes me want to do a re-watch before the new season drops more than anything.

It explains so much of why he kept pushing Keith to be the Black Paladin, and why Keith kept freaking out at any intimation that Shiro might not be okay.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I didn’t realise that the next season is the penultimate season. So the series will be completely done by the end of the year? Aww. :saddowns:

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Reminder: New season tomorrow!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I am ready for super gay times!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I won't lie, this is going to be a pretty big milestone.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Welp :downs:

I'm glad Zethrid and Ezor got to be a thing for like five minutes. I'm not in denial they're dead gently caress you.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Voltron S7 E1:

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Highlights for me

- Beebobee Seinfeld
- the new class skirting, but not falling into any cliché
- SDF Atlas
- Veronica

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ugh, you people with free time.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh man I know what I'm watching after work!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's good.

There are some really good hand-to-hand combat sequences in the first half, and then some absolutely insane mech action in the back half. If anything there's a bit too much action -- I'd have liked a little more character work on occasion. But it's good, and well paced, and the season's pushing the envelope in a lot of a lotta ways.

I really hope Dreamworks let them keep up this level of intensity going in the final season, because that was intensely fun.

Pyrotoad posted:

Welp :downs:

I'm glad Zethrid and Ezor got to be a thing for like five minutes. I'm not in denial they're dead gently caress you.

Wait, what?I thought they got away. :(

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's good.

There are some really good hand-to-hand combat sequences in the first half, and then some absolutely insane mech action in the back half. If anything there's a bit too much action -- I'd have liked a little more character work on occasion. But it's good, and well paced, and the season's pushing the envelope in a lot of a lotta ways.

I really hope Dreamworks let them keep up this level of intensity going in the final season, because that was intensely fun.

Wait, what?I thought they got away. :(

They're getting much more comfortable with on-screen deaths. We didn't see them make it out of the explosion like we did with Keith and Acxa, so maybe they did, just without Zethrid's other eye and Ezor's ponytail.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I really like how the season ended with Voltron fighting against a secret super boss out of nowhere.

My guess on what's going on is that Haggar/Honerva is creating her own super army out of the Alteans from Lotor's colony.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
holy poo poo ATLAS :pusheen:

Rhonne posted:

I really like how the season ended with Voltron fighting against a secret super boss out of nowhere.

My guess on what's going on is that Haggar/Honerva is creating her own super army out of the Alteans from Lotor's colony.

That sounds right on the money, it looks like she managed to use Lotor's Altean quintessence battery technique to power souped up robeasts. Very cool that the mech was reminiscent of the gladiator training drone back in the first season, at first I thought it was the alternate reality Alteans popping up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I too like Robotech!

That season was darker than I expected , but it was good. Hope the SDF-Atlas is very occasional, but it's cool. I want to go back and check it's transformation scenes against the first time the SDF-1 transformed, see how close they are.