Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also between you and me, Butch Hartman is the last person who should be chiding people for having stagnant art.

Also he tried to put an accent over the e in anime with an apostrophe like it's goddamn 85.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:laffo: That dude is nothing like Fred Rogers, I’m sorry. He sounds like he’s seconds away from namedropping MAGA and the 14 words.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Danny Phantom was pretty good in its time (being basically Ghostbusters meets Spider-man, though less New York-centric than that implies. Actually, that could be a kickass crossover) but hasn't aged well, and Fairly Odd Parents was kind of a more fantasy-oriented G-rated Family Guy.

...probably couldn't get the rights, but a Danny Phantom crossover with the Ghostbusters would have been pretty great. Have Danny's parents be massive fans of the original long-retired Ghostbusters.

DP aged pretty well, I think. Except for the last season where Butch kinda fully took over after two high-profile producers/writers were fired from the show. Hmm.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

:laffo: That dude is nothing like Fred Rogers, I’m sorry. He sounds like he’s seconds away from namedropping MAGA and the 14 words.
seriously. "questionable agendas pushed on our children" is the queerhatingest dogwhistle

And also saying "suicide didn't exist when I was younger, people just got through it" is buck wild. Also "in my day people loved their country" is some LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT bullshit, although maybe he is into Blue Lives Matter

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 20, 2018

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Quest For Glory II posted:

seriously. "questionable agendas pushed on our children" is the queerhatingest dogwhistle

And also saying "suicide didn't exist when I was younger, people just got through it" is buck wild. Also "in my day people loved their country" is some LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT bullshit, although maybe he is into Blue Lives Matter

It's A Wonderful Life, but without the main character contemplating jumping off a bridge

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
The payoff of Danny Phantom really amazed me as a kid. He went from being this constantly humiliated loser into someone everyone admired.

Someone once told me that a good way to write a character is to create someone that the audience doesnt want to BE. You could have someone who is rich and handsome and charismatic, but if you can manage to make nobody want to step into their shoes you've got potential on your hands.

And I'll dare say nobody wants to be the kid wearing a diaper holding balloons in the middle of his high school hallway, super powers or not.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

So there's gonna be a new Miraculous episode on Canadian tv on July 23rd, Reverser. Then its one new ep a week til the end of the season (assuming none of the usual bullshit shenanigans this show has become known for vis a vis airdates).

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

bob human being posted:

And I'll dare say nobody wants to be the kid wearing a diaper holding balloons in the middle of his high school hallway, super powers or not.
Have you been on the internet before?

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Oracle posted:

So there's gonna be a new Miraculous episode on Canadian tv on July 23rd, Reverser. Then its one new ep a week til the end of the season (assuming none of the usual bullshit shenanigans this show has become known for vis a vis airdates).

So I might expect to see the remainder of the season appear on the US Netflix sometime this year? That's more of a rhetorical question as no one can really know, but I'm going to be hopeful here.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Has the Thundercats cartoon with the...questionable animation style come out yet?

Also, does anyone know how many episodes Craig and Creek will have for their total run? It's a delight and I want to prepare myself for the shock for when it goes behind a paywall.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Waffleman_ posted:

Also between you and me, Butch Hartman is the last person who should be chiding people for having stagnant art.

Yeah that was the big issue, not necessarily the comment about anime on its own, but the fact that he of all people was the one saying it. Like dog all your fuckin shows look the same.

He also recently made the statement about people who critique his stuff as weak. Like literally he pulls the "let's see you do it" card which is the most eyerolling loving response to criticism in any art form, because it implies you have to be able to do [thing] to criticize [thing] which is nonsense.

https://twitter.com/mayhem_crimson/status/1019949710407294976

Like what a baby

Unrelated, the first look at Zim has been released!

https://twitter.com/NickAnimation/status/1020413952730181632

Aside from Dib looking kind of off, it looks like the show never left. The art style feels like nothing has changed

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dib looks great. I love the changes they made in the comics to his character and they’re keeping it here. It’s kinda neat they’re doing the first story from the comics, which kinda lets me know the tone a bit.

I love it all honestly. It’s beautiful and i thank everyone involved for giving me this. Goddddamn.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I was gonna come here and post that because I'm a super loving excited baby woman. :dance:

If there's a shot on Earth/of garbage, it's a good bet it's mine.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The style is rad as gently caress. It’s not the same but it’s evolved which is what I wanted. I love the show more than anything but I usually watch the back half of the show more than the first. The art style change was incredible, and so fluid. This is taking it to the best level.

I’m gonna get my fuckin Dib avatar back now.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

TV Zombie posted:

Has the Thundercats cartoon with the...questionable animation style come out yet?

the only reason why the animation in the trailer (not the theme song part, but the Lion-O talking to the audience part) looked weird is because the showrunner put it together over the course of a single weekend

unless you're just talking about the artstyle

Anyways the show only recently started full production, there's no way it's coming out until next year at the soonest

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

FELD1 posted:

So I might expect to see the remainder of the season appear on the US Netflix sometime this year? That's more of a rhetorical question as no one can really know, but I'm going to be hopeful here.
Netflix recently backtracked on a specific date and effectively said "Yeah, we don't have a clue what's happening with the rest of season 2, you'll get it as soon as we've got all the episodes ready to show."

Edit: apparently literally while I typed that, there was an announcement at Comic-Con that the rest of S2 will be on Netflix "holiday season 2018". So still vague, but at least within the next 5 months...

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 20, 2018

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Have you been on the internet before?

note to self: do not look up "danny phantom diaper"

Alright Butch I'm gonna take your challenge. I give you not only permission to write my show but to imagine I made the show with you in mind.

So theres a kid named Bob. He's in college, going to cal arts. And people on the internet say his artwork looks generic and "tumblry" and it hurts his feelings. But Bob believes in jesus his friend Sharpie, a talking tablet wand that somehow gets him through the day and teaches him valuable life lessons such as coping skills in the face of strong critique and not obsessing over every piece of rear end that he shares a class with because of course there is love drama. It'll start out cute and simple with epsodes like "Bob finds a dollar and buys a soda" or "Bob grows a bonsai tree to relax" and will eventually by the second season reach into the heart of a more developed character and we'll have episodes titled "Bob kisses his male teacher to get an A+" and "Bob doesn't like his new stepdad."

Basically as the show goes on the intent is to make the viewer sympathize with Bob as Hartman pulls his classical approach of making his life a total loving nightmare and have him suffer through the sadistic wheel of fortune that involves heartbreak, forced public nudity, and backstabbing friends who want to bang Bob's mom because it's a Hartman show and there has to be repressed writers guilt involved with making a protagonists life suck.

If Matt Groening can become the richest cartoonist via napkin scribbling my mspaint drawing might as well be worth millions.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Dib looks great. I love the changes they made in the comics to his character and they’re keeping it here. It’s kinda neat they’re doing the first story from the comics, which kinda lets me know the tone a bit.

I love it all honestly. It’s beautiful and i thank everyone involved for giving me this. Goddddamn.

Is Tak a part of that story? She was set up to be this big deal but then the show ended before it could conclude anything.

Also!

https://twitter.com/phaedragrey/status/1020406835822485505

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tak’s ship was, so she was in it, sorta.

Also yeah, love those changes.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

GAZMAT SUIT

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I will neither confirm nor deny Tak's presence, but I will say she was a subject of great contention. Also, one day Jhonen pulled me into his office, pointed to a lady in an episode of Star Trek and gleefully proclaimed, "That's Tak!"

Dude's a Trekkie.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Payndz posted:

Netflix recently backtracked on a specific date and effectively said "Yeah, we don't have a clue what's happening with the rest of season 2, you'll get it as soon as we've got all the episodes ready to show."

Edit: apparently literally while I typed that, there was an announcement at Comic-Con that the rest of S2 will be on Netflix "holiday season 2018". So still vague, but at least within the next 5 months...

Coolio, thanks for the info. I figured it would drop somewhere around then. The erratic episode drops are a drag, but it's a far cry from when I started watching the show in the beginning (when Nickelodeon would randomly post an episode on their lovely website). Scouring YouTube for lovely rips of episodes that were usually missing sections was loving terrible, and I vehemently oppose piracy when it can be avoided.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Macaluso posted:

Is Tak a part of that story? She was set up to be this big deal but then the show ended before it could conclude anything.

Also!

https://twitter.com/phaedragrey/status/1020406835822485505

Hmmm, Kinda preferred how intrinsically pathetic Dib's old look made him seem.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

khwarezm posted:

Hmmm, Kinda preferred how intrinsically pathetic Dib's old look made him seem.

Dib is supposed to be Latino, so. Honestly this change is overdue.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

My only gripe is they shouldn't have shrunk his head while also giving him bigger hair. :v:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I kinda like Dib having bigger eyes/glasses, but hell, everything looks so good in motion, so I can't complain. I'm super excited about this, Invader Zim was my favorite cartoon as a kid and it looks like this new movie's doing it justice.

Nodosaur posted:

To be fair, Latino people can be light-skinned.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Nodosaur posted:

I don't mean the skin color I mean the overbite and goggly eyes.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Maybe, but it's clear they made this choice to make that fact more clear to the audience.

khwarezm posted:

I don't mean the skin color I mean the overbite and goggly eyes.

Sorry, I read "old" as "odd".

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Like Jhonen himself. The whole Membrane family is, I wonder what made him give them darker skin? I saw a tumblr ask he did where he mentioned Dib’s family being light skinned like him

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That was an interesting reveal and I’m stoked he went through with it.

Only negative thing I have with the trailer is I wish I could’ve heard some of the voices.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
My niece will go nuts about this, I showed her Zim recently and she can't get enough of it. I'm just glad there'll be an actual conclusion, I mean, I hope.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Has anyone compiled a list of old shows that need a conclusion?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

http://www.nick.com/rise-of-the-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles/videos/mystic-mayhem-s1-ep1-full-episode/

Nick put up the first episode of Rise of the TMNT for free and you can watch more if you log in with your TV provider.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Show's format is 11 minutes, with the first episode being a two-parter joined together. I'm starting ep 3, and hotdamn the action scenes are amazing. Also, oddly enough, Leo kinda feels like the leader despite the marketing of the show. It's not as clean cut as always, but in ep 2 he very much leads the team and calls the shots when they're trying to decide on a mission.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Raph seems to be the one they formally regard as leader, but Leo just steps up a lot and he's more assertive than Raph, so he ends up making more decisions.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

Raph seems to be the one they formally regard as leader, but Leo just steps up a lot and he's more assertive than Raph, so he ends up making more decisions.

That sounds about right.

Finished all the episodes available. Really freaking solid. Episode 4 is what completely cemented the show for me: it was a Donnie and Mikey episode, mostly silly stuff, the villain was just some sleazy repo man(tis), but for the first two acts it's all light stuff as the two try to get a sci-fi movie prop. They have to repossess a mutant beaver's RV, but he's so nice they build him a house for the puppies he takes care of and stuff in a pretty elaborate sequence. I figured that after three episodes of insane action climaxes, the construction stuff would be the highlight of the episode. Then there's a crazy, effect-driven chase scene anyway. Just shows that this cartoon will be bringing terrific action on the regular, along with a strong focus on the turtles' relationships.

And April is pleasantly active, she gets in deep in the fights.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
In episode 1 he felt more like Mikey then Mikey did.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Macaluso posted:

Like Jhonen himself. The whole Membrane family is, I wonder what made him give them darker skin? I saw a tumblr ask he did where he mentioned Dib’s family being light skinned like him

Maybe all the alien chasing has been getting Dib out of the house during the day more. I figure the whole family aren't exactly friends of the sun.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Since it’s going by the comics, from what I’ve seen..Dib’s been stuck in the house for a long long time. Growing fatter and nastier by the day. He don’t go outside much and fused to the chair due to how long he’s waited. You can see him fall down and Zim laughing at him

Although, per the comics, I’m wondering if the FLORPUS is just the Gargantis Array. Look id still laugh because it was funny as poo poo, but I guess I kinda want a bit of a separation between comics and movie thing

I’m sure I don’t know poo poo but hey. I bought every issue so might as well use some of this knowledge.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jul 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

CelticPredator posted:

Since it’s going by the comics, from what I’ve seen..Dib’s been stuck in the house for a long long time. Growing fatter and nastier by the day. He don’t go outside much and fused to the chair due to how long he’s waited. You can see him fall down and Zim laughing at him

Although, per the comics, I’m wondering if the FLORPUS is just the Gargantis Array. Look id still laugh because it was funny as poo poo, but I guess I kinda want a bit of a separation between comics and movie thing

I’m sure I don’t know poo poo but hey. I bought every issue so might as well use some of this knowledge.

If the comics are anything to go by, the cartoon is gonna be solid gold avatar material for goons.