Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Talent exchange program in full swing

He might even make less appearances than Brock in both until we're convinced he was a collective hallucination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

CommonShore posted:

Ok here's a question -

What's your vote for the fight that wasn't a big deal when it happened, but which now (or even just later) would produce ridiculous excitement.

My vote is for Holloway-Poirier. I just rewatched it and Max looks pretty good in it, all things considered.

conor vs max

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Bluedeanie posted:

The Woodley Era isn't as bad as you make it out to sound. He has had some bad fights but also good fights too. If GSP had to fight Demian Maia and a cowardly ineffectual Wonderboy then his fights might have been better than Woodley's but not by a lot. I think the depth of contendership is just weak right now by comparison to 5-8 years ago.

no champion has ever had 3 title fights in a row as bad as wonderboy 1,2, and maia. there are very, very few champions who have had one title defence as bad as any of those three, let alone all three in succession.

woodley has built a case for being the most unwatchable champion in combat sports.

pepperchomp
Jan 27, 2007

chomp chomp chomp

Marching Powder posted:

no champion has ever had 3 title fights in a row as bad as wonderboy 1,2, and maia. there are very, very few champions who have had one title defence as bad as any of those three, let alone all three in succession.

woodley has built a case for being the most unwatchable champion in combat sports.

Anderson silva?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

pepperchomp posted:

Anderson silva?

unless i am very much mistaken he had two unwatchable fights against maia and leites and they were not back to back so i don't know what purpose saying his name serves

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Marching Powder posted:

tim sylvia had the awful arlovski and monson title fights back to back. but sylvia is probably the most hated ufc champion in history so woodley's in good company.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Foul Fowl posted:

tim sylvia had the awful arlovski and monson title fights back to back. but sylvia is probably the most hated ufc champion in history so woodley's in good company.

that is a loving grim indictment lol.

even if sylvia had a third we'd have to stop judging it based on effective striking and grappling (number of unwatchable fights in a row) and start looking at aggression and octagon control (calibre of the weight class they are / were intent on making unwatchable with their antics) and i'm going to have to still give woodley the tedious majority decision.

pepperchomp
Jan 27, 2007

chomp chomp chomp

Marching Powder posted:

unless i am very much mistaken he had two unwatchable fights against maia and leites and they were not back to back so i don't know what purpose saying his name serves

Well you said 3 title fights in a row right? Cote, Leites and Maia sucked...he did have some non title fights between that were fun, but those 3 title fights sucked. And they were technically consecutive title defenses so...

Edit: i thought he fought Irvin too but just Forrest.
Edit 2: I am not saying hes unwatchable. I love Silva, it's just those 3 fights sucked. And they were title fights. Unwatchable title fights. Unless watchin Andy dance around someone til they hurt themselves is entertaining.

pepperchomp fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jul 20, 2018

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

pepperchomp posted:

Well you said 3 title fights in a row right? Cote, leites and maia sucked...he did have some non title fights between that were fun, but those 3 title fights sucked. And they were technically consecutive title defenses so...

Edit: i thought he fought Irvin too but just Forrest.
Edit 2: I am not saying hes unwatchable. I love silva, it's just those 3 fights sucked. And they were title fights.

Lol ok

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

er, yeah i've got nothing really to say to that. ok.

pepperchomp
Jan 27, 2007

chomp chomp chomp
Haven't all the big champs caught poo poo for boring fights? I coulda sworn gsp had some boring ones. Or Ben Henderson? Or Aldo? Idk, I'm not defending Woodley or anything cause his last few fights have been dog poo poo. But my mma memory is gettin kinda fuzzy and now I'm really trying to think of some boring rear end title fights that I regret paying for over the years.

I just remembered i bought shields vs gsp and that poo poo was boring. Machids crane kick was on that card though. And i think i bought florian vs aldo and that was boring too i think.

pepperchomp fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jul 20, 2018

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

it's so loving cool that cormier knocked out stipe. it didn't even go for a full round but the 3 or so minutes it went on for qualifies it for roty imo. drat. fat dad.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

pepperchomp posted:

Haven't all the big champs caught poo poo for boring fights? I coulda sworn gsp had some boring ones. Or Ben Henderson? Or Aldo? Idk, I'm not defending Woodley or anything cause his last few fights have been dog poo poo. But my mma memory is gettin kinda fuzzy and now I'm really trying to think of some boring rear end title fights that I regret paying for over the years.

I just remembered i bought shields vs gsp and that poo poo was boring. And i think i bought florian vs aldo and that was boring too i think.

yeah man i'm not sure you're on the same page as me or any of the other people discussing woodley's title reign but that's cool, it's always good to hear what fights people thought were tedious or whatever.

pepperchomp
Jan 27, 2007

chomp chomp chomp

Marching Powder posted:

yeah man i'm not sure you're on the same page as me or any of the other people discussing woodley's title reign but that's cool, it's always good to hear what fights people thought were tedious or whatever.

Oh i am on the same page...i literally fell asleep during wonderboy rematch and maia fight. The thing that bugs me about woodley is that he talks like hes the poo poo. Saying poo poo like who wants to get their rear end whooped next but what he means is who wants to stare at me for 25 minutes. Or who wants me to stuff their takedowns for 25 minutes. What happened to the good ol days when brutal bob was fighting to the death?

pepperchomp fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jul 20, 2018

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Marching Powder posted:

that is a loving grim indictment lol.

even if sylvia had a third we'd have to stop judging it based on effective striking and grappling (number of unwatchable fights in a row) and start looking at aggression and octagon control (calibre of the weight class they are / were intent on making unwatchable with their antics) and i'm going to have to still give woodley the tedious majority decision.

i think the two are weirdly comparable because they've been on both sides of legendary finishes (sylvia getting his arm snapped by mir, the first two arlovski fights, getting choked by big nog, etc.; woodley getting owned by marquardt's incredible combination, the truly vicious koscheck ko, knocking out lawler in the first round, etc.) but they both have wiped away all that goodwill with consistently awful and boring fights.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Foul Fowl posted:

woodley getting owned by marquardt's incredible combination

a lil catharsis for us all https://streamable.com/wy6mn

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

pepperchomp posted:

I just remembered i bought shields vs gsp and that poo poo was boring. Machids crane kick was on that card though. And i think i bought florian vs aldo and that was boring too i think.

DC hasn't really had a boring fight outside of playing it safe against Anderson Silva. Jon Jones never had a boring fight. Cain, Stipe, and Brock's fights were never boring.

McGregor's most boring fight was when he wrestled the current 145 champ for 13 minutes with a torn ACL. Lawler has never had a boring fight. Weidman, Bobby Knuckles, Jose Aldo, Max Holloway, etc. really don't have any bad fights to mention.

There are few fighters that have had multiple really dull 5 round fights. Demian Maia. Tyron Woodley. Wonderboy. I'd venture a guess that champs with a lot of boring fights are the exception not the rule.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

jones / osp was an abortion but yeah in general ufc champs loving own and that's why it's so unusual to have such a strong case for hating a champion specifically because his title fights suck to a crazy degree

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Jones/OSP was also potentially the only clean fight JBJ had.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

i really wish marquardt had been a great fighter sometimes.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
anderson did deal with people thinking he actually sucked until he killed hendo and there was a lot of backlash after the maia fight in particular

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Snowman_McK posted:

I remember when him and Mousassi were let go, there was a sentiment here and elsewhere that 'they don't sell seats on their own' and that's true. It's also true of most of their champions. However, the UFC used to be in a really strong position not only due to having the best guy as the champion, but also the next 10 best guys. That way, you know the champ is legit, and you can know whether contenders are legit. As much as Jon Fitch didn't sell PPVs, Hendricks knocking him out made Hendricks impossible to ignore, ditto for Koscheck getting clobbered by Robbie.

You’re right about this. The thing is, the UFC brass must know all of this. That implies that they’ve crunched the numbers and decided a shittier, less fun UFC is the more profitable option, so that’s what they’re going with. That’s disappointing to me.

Having said that, cards are, on average, very good, and there are some extremely watchable fighters in the UFC. They haven’t ruined the promotion or anything, but they’ve certainly created a situation where individual weight classes languish and flop to an almost painful degree. Cyborgweight is a loving circus, and not a good circus, but the kind with aging elephants whose eyes are haunted by a lifetime of neglect and abuse.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Bundt Cake posted:

anderson did deal with people thinking he actually sucked until he killed hendo and there was a lot of backlash after the maia fight in particular

i think he figured out that he couldn't lose if he never lead, and no one in the division was good enough to make him lead. i also think that he's one of the guys who really changed mma striking because all the guys who watched him destroy people probably were imagining ways to beat him for years. necessity is the mother of invention and all that.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

If Woodley violently murders Colby like he did Koscheck all will be forgiven

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Or if woodley took fights at middle between title defenses and killed them he’d probably be seen in a better light. He’s not really comparable to Anderson imo

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
https://youtu.be/Djmqg-en3hs

Anyone see this interview with Dana's mom? She is not pulling any punches

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Foul Fowl posted:

i really wish marquardt had been a great fighter sometimes.

if it werent for the roids and being a dick after that one pancrase fight, id make the case he was

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Foul Fowl posted:

i think he figured out that he couldn't lose if he never lead, and no one in the division was good enough to make him lead. i also think that he's one of the guys who really changed mma striking because all the guys who watched him destroy people probably were imagining ways to beat him for years. necessity is the mother of invention and all that.

idk i always agree with the theory that he got buzzed by that one punch of maias and thats why he fought like that
but he did the same thing to lee murray earlier , evading and not engaging (only leg kicks to win iirc)

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Skip My Posts posted:

Or if woodley took fights at middle between title defenses and killed them he’d probably be seen in a better light. He’s not really comparable to Anderson imo

anderson also was on the cutting edge of the sport where woodley is proving big right hand and wrestling will always be near or at the top

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Foul Fowl posted:

He and Machida made people aware of things like footwork and counter striking. People started to work with boxing coaches and learned how do more than shuffle/leap forward throwing bombs.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Bundt Cake posted:

anderson also was on the cutting edge of the sport where woodley is proving big right hand and wrestling will always be near or at the top

Woodley seems so terrified of gassing that he never actually does enough to get tired. He's like a better version of Derrick Lewis.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

https://twitter.com/MIKERUSSELLMMA/status/1020353533961547777

Apparently Erick Silva was released from the UFC after UFC Winnipeg and he's e. scheduled to be fighting in LFA tonight.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 20, 2018

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard

Tezcatlipoca posted:

He and Machida made people aware of things like footwork and counter striking. People started to work with boxing coaches and learned how do more than shuffle/leap forward throwing bombs.

Even that was advanced for the average fighter at the time. I remember some conversation involving someone, I think it was Nate Quarry who was astounded to learn that not every punch you throw has to be at full power. The idea that you could use a weaker punch (ie a jab) to set up a big haymaker completely blew his mind.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

MysteryNad posted:

Even that was advanced for the average fighter at the time. I remember some conversation involving someone, I think it was Nate Quarry who was astounded to learn that not every punch you throw has to be at full power. The idea that you could use a weaker punch (ie a jab) to set up a big haymaker completely blew his mind.

Yeah and you had people like Cruz and DJ and lower weights steering guys into their offense with footwork and combinations, Aldo getting a really good jab out of nowhere and the best footwork in mma meant people coming up had to do more than be athletic. Ray Borg is basically just a big, fast guy and he got video game finished because Mighty Mouse is just way ahead of these dudes.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
when anderson was good in fights, he was the best and most unique fighter i've seen. tyron has some legitimate positives and it would be extremely funny and cool if he starches Colby, but Anderson was nicknamed the spider and I think dropped/finished people up with all eight "limbs" of muay thai which is something i'm not sure will be replicated anytime soon. just off the top of my head:

left foot: vitor (lol)
right foot: okami
left knee: bonnar
right knee: franklin, chael
right punch: griffin, irvin
left punch: leben
left elbow: ? he hurt henderson a lot witha couple
right elbow: fryklund, lutter

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
don't get me wrong i like a guy that tries for the big right all fight like the next guy, but i don't think woodley is in andy's category even if they both have had a couple of bad fights

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
https://giant.gfycat.com/SnarlingAcademicAfricangroundhornbill.webm

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

when anderson was good in fights, he was the best and most unique fighter i've seen. tyron has some legitimate positives and it would be extremely funny and cool if he starches Colby, but Anderson was nicknamed the spider and I think dropped/finished people up with all eight "limbs" of muay thai which is something i'm not sure will be replicated anytime soon. just off the top of my head:

left foot: vitor (lol)
right foot: okami
left knee: bonnar
right knee: franklin, chael
right punch: griffin, irvin
left punch: leben
left elbow: ? he hurt henderson a lot witha couple
right elbow: fryklund, lutter

This is neat

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

He beat himself with his own dick, dont forget that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Gay Horney posted:

https://youtu.be/Djmqg-en3hs

Anyone see this interview with Dana's mom? She is not pulling any punches

Dana's mom is like capital C crazy I think. They've been estranged for a while. She's been describing him as somewhat of a spawn of satan to anyone that will listen to her for like the last decade I think.

• Locked thread