Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

The Shortest Path posted:

I've seen a few people recommend an Essence Worm socketed with Wrath for various Arc builds, and I'm kind of wondering why you'd use that over a ring with spell damage, elemental damage, spell crit chance/multiplier, etc.

Also, does leech work with traps if they deal the appropriate damage type?

Because it's less damage. I just did a quick comparison so I can't say for sure, but this ring:

Armageddon Eye
Opal Ring
Item Level: 79
Requires Level 80
24% increased Elemental Damage
Adds 14 to 31 Cold Damage to Attacks
20% increased Lightning Damage
+16% to Global Critical Strike Multiplier
+9 to maximum Life
32% increased Elemental Damage with Attack Skills
16% increased Global Critical Strike Chance

which is listed for 15 exalts, gives me about half as much of a damage boost as lvl 20 Wrath, acccording to PoB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

I'll roll either Spectre Necro or Double Strike/Cyclone Ascendant for HC Flashback, where my goal is to kill Shaper.
Really looking forward to all these new and interesting ways to die, since I haven't played any league besides Incursion.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Papercut posted:

Because it's less damage. I just did a quick comparison so I can't say for sure, but this ring:

Armageddon Eye
Opal Ring
Item Level: 79
Requires Level 80
24% increased Elemental Damage
Adds 14 to 31 Cold Damage to Attacks
20% increased Lightning Damage
+16% to Global Critical Strike Multiplier
+9 to maximum Life
32% increased Elemental Damage with Attack Skills
16% increased Global Critical Strike Chance

which is listed for 15 exalts, gives me about half as much of a damage boost as lvl 20 Wrath, acccording to PoB.

Yeah somebody ingame explained the difference between different types of multipliers and it's kinda crazy how strong that is. So the real tradeoff is against the life and resists I'd want on a ring, which I'll just have to make up for elsewhere I suppose.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

theshim posted:

paging ciaphas to the thread, someone's stealing your thunder

i mean, I'd at least play with it for a few days :v:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Some rear end in a top hat on Reddit started a run on The Pariahs last night and it went from like 20c to ~1.5ex in a few hours. If you have one, drop it while it's hot before the price tanks again.

remember
Nov 23, 2006

Cinara posted:

Flashback is the ideal time to play Zerphi's VD Poet's Pens Pathfinder! The flask will be a couple chaos because it's a very common drop from Perandus zones, and the rest of the gear isn't too expensive.

How would I level this for league start?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Rain of arrows, sunder, frost blades... anything you don't mind using until you get the PP's

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
is frost blades good for endgame yet

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Jinnigan posted:

is frost blades good for endgame yet

Probably not - it relies too much on extra damage to chilled enemies and you can’t easily chill guardians and shaper. Unless the power creep has made it viable or there’s one of those “every hit chills” items like there is for shock.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Lechtansi posted:

Probably not - it relies too much on extra damage to chilled enemies and you can’t easily chill guardians and shaper. Unless the power creep has made it viable or there’s one of those “every hit chills” items like there is for shock.

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/The_Pandemonius
https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Arctic_Armour
https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Vaal_Cold_Snap

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Don't forget regular cold snap, vortex, arctic breath, and aquamarine flasks.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Hmm, pandemonius was in the game back when I was trying to do a frost blades character in harbinger. I wonder why none of the top players were using it (and therefore I had no idea it even existed), it probably would have really helped when I was repeatedly slamming my face against guardians and losing.

Lechtansi fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 22, 2018

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Lechtansi posted:

Hmm, pandemonius was in the game back when I was trying to do a frost blades character in harbinger. I wonder why none of the top players were using it (and therefore I had no idea it even existed), it probably would have really helped when I was repeatedly slamming my face against guardians and losing.

Well it requires being hit, which you tend to want to avoid, and the guaranteed chill from that only lasts 1 second.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

McFrugal posted:

Well it requires being hit, which you tend to want to avoid, and the guaranteed chill from that only lasts 1 second.

Oh, I always read the item as "on hit" not "when hit". Well, i dont feel like being hit so yeah there goes that idea.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Could you use https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Dyadus in off hand for chill and cold damage? Then toss something fast with cold in main?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I'm pretty bad at this game but I did frost blades last league without spending any money on it and it was pretty easy up to about level 90 ish but did suck against bosses, particularly ones that moved around a lot because you needed to debuff via traps or something for best effect and that made it difficult. Also rip against anything with any elemental reflection.

Clearing packs was pretty much just one click-> clear screen though.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
Is there any room left in the guild? I'd love an invite if so! Character's name is EdnaVincentMillay. (Are guild spots on a character basis rather than account?)

I've been having a ton of fun playing this lightning warp / arc poet's pen build. Much more fun than my first character! I guess I was lucky that I got two exalted drops and a poet's pen drop from my first character, otherwise I definitely wouldn't have been able to afford all the gear required (3 other poet's pens, inpulsa's, mind of the council, berek's grip).

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
what do you guys think would be the easiest way to level up ele hit trapper? stick with arc for leveling since most trap nodes are the same? go straight for ele hit? or something else?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I beelined for two Jewel nodes and aof, had them all by around 35 or so. Elehit is nuts from that point on , and honestly it wasn't too bad from the get go, although arc might be better until you can equip a rotha reach or some form of Pierce to help the clear speed.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

ThePineapple posted:

(Are guild spots on a character basis rather than account?)

The invites are by character name, but then your entire account is in the guild no matter how many characters you have.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
e:f;b

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

Jinnigan posted:

what do you guys think would be the easiest way to level up ele hit trapper? stick with arc for leveling since most trap nodes are the same? go straight for ele hit? or something else?

roa traps are some easy leveling and that would be essentially the same tree

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I'm guessing ele hit is a bad league starter, since you need the jewels and those are gonna be 10c + each. I'm trying to decide what to do as a flashback char, probably frost blades.

its funny, looking at the price history of the EHit jewels, you can see exactly when the ehit + frosfterno combo was discovered.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lechtansi posted:

I'm guessing ele hit is a bad league starter, since you need the jewels and those are gonna be 10c + each. I'm trying to decide what to do as a flashback char, probably frost blades.

its funny, looking at the price history of the EHit jewels, you can see exactly when the ehit + frosfterno combo was discovered.

It was fine to start with but you really need the jewels and aof to feel good. I used a lovely topotante wand until I sprung for a max crit one. Apparently it's better with a bow but I had a good time with a wand + lycosidae.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm running zombies with Carnage Chieftain spectres - I had a Host Chieftain but he would die in any significant pack. I tried picking up an enduring cry bear, but it looks like I can't desecrate him so as soon as he died I couldn't get him back so I tried an Oaks Blessed for Warlord's Mark, but after a fight there's like one or two zombies max who have picked up an endurance charge from that, and it sucks up a curse slot. What other options are there for a spectre to get my guys a little more robust?

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

dis astranagant posted:

It was fine to start with but you really need the jewels and aof to feel good. I used a lovely topotante wand until I sprung for a max crit one. Apparently it's better with a bow but I had a good time with a wand + lycosidae.

Yeah, I used a wand + shield and got a bonkers amount of DPS. like, 900k with GMP and 1.5m with slow proj. It was by far my favorite build because of the absurd amount of damage. I was just gonna see if it was viable for one more trip around the block before GGG nerfed it.

Edit: I was playing around in POB and realized that I didn't have shock enabled. I know that it's harder to shock guardians, but gently caress with Yoke of Suffering i bet its easier than ever. That gives me almost 2.5m dps. Ele hit is loving nuts.

Lechtansi fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 24, 2018

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Hopefully there will be enough people scared of starting it that the jewels take a few days to start costing.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Lechtansi posted:

It's funny that it took that long for people to figure out it was good, I converted my trapper to ele hit about 9 days in once I realized that you could do 5 million shaper dps with garbage gear.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the big spike from ~15 to ~30 is when uberelite posted the video of dan doing uber elder

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm still mad at myself because I bought my Frostferno for 10c and I had 50c on hand but noooooo, I didn't buy another four, I went and bought like...25% movespeed resist boots and a starks. For another character.

I also got both ehit jewels with perfect rolls for 1c.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

When I turned in rings for my Loreweave I used 3 or 4 Call of the Brotherhood, now they are like 30c

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
When I found my Rat Cage a few weeks ago they were like 4C, when I returned after a long break I got a shitload of whispers on mine, now they're like 70C

Economy is weird

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

rat cage was used in the last build of the week

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

kinda considering doing flashback after i push my elehit scion as far as shell go. ive wanted to do a summoner build for a while, but i might leave that for next league and do arc of some sort instead- what's that like?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

StashAugustine posted:

kinda considering doing flashback after i push my elehit scion as far as shell go. ive wanted to do a summoner build for a while, but i might leave that for next league and do arc of some sort instead- what's that like?

Enki's arc build is excellent up until about t8 or t9 and, particularly with temple providing easy to get 70% ele/5% ele as chaos scepters and so on, it's dead cheap. You can upgrade it with a mind of the council, essence worm and inpulsa's, but if you're not looking to push that hard it's certainly not required. Struggles a bit on map bosses and omnitect past say level 75. Using a couple pacifisms and ahn's heritage shield though for permanent onslaught allows for much fun shield-charging all over creation.

Arc traps, on the other hand, struggles on nearly nothing and blows up bosses. The clearspeed isn't the absolute best it could be, and tinkerskin makes your life a LOT happier, mana-wise (by way of eldritch battery), but you really only need a 5L (or even a 4L set of gloves with supported by level # trap... having lightning spire for bosses is great, but you're doing 750k DPS just with arc traps and fairly modest gear) to get into early red maps, so it's not that spendy either.

I haven't tried totems, so no comment on that.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 24, 2018

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Lechtansi posted:

It's not as big a jump as it looks - the jump from trash to 15c doesn't mean anything in the actual economy, that's just the point where poe.ninja started tracking the three combat focus jewels individually instead of lumping them all together.

cytoc
Apr 3, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

I played self-cast arc assassin this league and it's been pretty effective. I've managed to clear the following without deaths: level 83 temple boss, red map elder, shaper, uber atziri and all of the shaper and uber guardians except for chimera (after my first death on chimera, I switched to my another character who could do this fight very easily). I am in no way mechanically great at the game and this is the first time I've killed most of these bosses on anything other than a golemancer whilst I lay there dead. I tried uber elder a couple of times and managed to get them both to half, but I'm pretty trash and kept running into things I should have been avoiding.

My character is here. The biggest outlays I've had have been 6ex for the 6-link inpulsa's and 3ex for the ring. Everything else has been found or was <30c to buy. I think that I got decently lucky with getting the boots and the 21/20 vaal arc. I was running high yellow / low red maps on a 5-link inpulsa's with only 1 curse on hit and no 21 gem, but I'm not sure how higher I could have pushed this setup.

I was tossing up between inquisitor (rodent showed a video of self-cast arc inquisitor earlier this league doing red elder here) and assassin. They both have pretty good dps, but inquisitor would have much better survivability due to his mana regen on consecrated ground (most of my deaths come from running out of mana due to MoM and then not being able to output any damage). I chose the assassin because I wanted the movement speed from Oportunistic, the dps seemed more consistent (inquisitor really likes to be on consecrated ground) and I have played too many templars recently. I've really enjoyed this character, arc is a great spell for map clearing and with lightning spire added on top of this, you have decent boss dps too.

Traps are definitely going to be better for boss killing and higher tier mapping on a low budget, but with some investment, you can really push self-cast arc to work through most of the game's content if you want to play self-cast.

cytoc fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jul 24, 2018

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The thing I don't like about self cast Arc is that it makes making the gem a vaal version almost mandatory for satisfactory speed clearing. If trapping, a single throw can clear an entire screen of trash.

Dodadoodoo
Jun 15, 2007
Do you have a dad? I wanna meet that dad.
Can I get an invite on dodadoodoo if there's room? Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Dodadoodoo posted:

Can I get an invite on dodadoodoo if there's room? Thanks

invite sent